• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miss Iceland too fat for a beauty contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strax

Miss Iceland 2015 has dropped out of the Miss Grand In­ternati­onal beauty contest after organisers reportedly told her to lose weight, then made her deny the fact, it has emerged.

Iceland Monitor reported yesterday that Arna Ýr Jónsdóttir had received a message from spokespeople of the owner of the Miss Grand In­ternati­onal contest telling her she was too fat and needed to slim down for the grand final on Tuesday.

Later yesterday, Arna Ýr told Icelandic news website mbl.is that the whole thing had been a misunderstanding – possibly due to language issues – and that the organisers thought she was great and looked forward to working with her in the future.

She has now, however, revealed that she had been ordered to retract her story and that there was no misunderstanding.

“I was told to say that and I really regret doing so,” she writes on Facebook.

“I intend to stand up for myself, women everywhere and the Icelandic people. I will not let them tell me I am too fat to look good on stage. I have quit. I will not be taking part in Miss Grand In­ternati­onal.”

Arna Ýr has reportedly sent a letter to the owner of the contest telling him how ridiculous his message was and advising him that if he wants to hold an international beauty contest he needs to learn to appreciate international beauty.

“I am coming home a winner and the proudest Icelander in the world,” her Facebook status concludes.

LINK

UPDATE:

The owners of the beauty contest have her passport and won't give it back to her unless she signs some kind of a new contract banning her talking about the contest. So now she's stuck the Las Vegas unable to get home to Iceland.

She made this claim on her Snapchat.

UPDATE 2:

They demanded she pay them $3000 to get her passport back and police stepped in I heard on the radio. She's on her way home now.

UPDATE 3:

The president of an international beauty pageant has admitted staff suggested the winner of Miss Iceland needed to lose weight if she wanted to do well in the contest.

Arna Ýr Jónsdóttir, 20, announced she would not be competing in the Miss Grand International pageant in Las Vegas on Sunday because organisers asked her to lose weight just days before the finals which were held on Tuesday. Jónsdóttir claimed she was informed there was too much fat on her body and her shoulders were too big.

The President of Miss Grand International, Nawat Itsaragrisil, told The Independent staff advised her to lose weight in order to improve her chances at winning. He said “everyone should show their improvement” in the three weeks building up to the final.

Itsaragrisil said Jónsdóttir looked “slimmer and more beautiful” in her previous photos than she did in real life.

“She asked some questions and for suggestions from our staff which they’ve replied according to what they think, she may be a little bit fat and they recommended her, in good way, to try to lose some weight in order to improve her chance to win,” Itsaragrisil, who is also a Thai TV host, said.

“This is a normal process for the three weeks during the pageant, everyone should show their improvement. Similarly, the staffs give the same advice for others who asked them what should they do to improve in order to win which each of them would get different advice,” he continued.

“Since the start of the pageant she is one of the delegates who shown herself to be interesting and to have a great personality. All my staff have loved to work with her and she made great impression on the team."

“There was an incident that she shows her photos from her previous international pageant to me which she looks slimmer and more beautiful which I do not understand the purpose as what we are looking in the competition is the present not what she used to look like.”

Jónsdóttir, who was crowned Miss Iceland in 2015, told Iceland Monitor a spokesperson for Itsaragrisil advised her to stop eating breakfast, only eat salad for lunch and drink water every evening until the finals.

Jónsdóttir announced the news she would be dropping out on her Facebook on Sunday. She said she was determined to stand up for herself, women worldwide and the Icelandic nation. She also posted a handwritten “goodbye letter” on her Instagram which she addressed to Itsaragrisil.

“I am a very strong woman but sometimes my strength isn’t enough,” she wrote in the letter. “Your staff told me that I had to loose weight for the finals because I have to much fat on me and also to [sic] big shoulders. They told me to eat less and then you would like me more”.

“If anyone tells me that I’m too fat or whatever, they just don’t deserve me,” she concluded.

Jónsdóttir, who is a trained pole vaulter, demanded the organisers "open their eyes" and wake up to the fact it is 2016.

In the message posted on Jónsdóttir’s Facebook, she also claimed organisers told her to say the comments about her weight were a misunderstanding and apologise.

Itsaragrisil expressed his shock at learning she had left the hotel, claiming she only informed them of her departure in a letter addressed to him at the reception.

“One of our conditions of the pageant for security reasons we do not allow anyone to leave the hotel without our acknowledgement,” he said. “She seems to have her own imagination and do whatever she pleased without obeying any rules and regulations which she read and signed accepting before entering the pageant.”

A representative for Jónsdóttir did not immediately respond to request for comment.

link

14650338_10209747380235651_4938044449745553004_n.jpg

frontovik

Banned
She looks fine for a beauty contest.

Some freaks want a walking corpse when it comes to beauty. Absolutely disgusting.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Fucking disgusting. Calling her fat is insanely... man I don't even have a good word.

shira

So basically, the organisers of the event are mentally ill?
http://www.angelopedia.com/news/Ane...e-title-of-Miss-Grand-International-2015/2295
On March 24, 2016, Anea Garcia of Dominican Republic resigned the title of Miss Grand International 2015 after allegations of assault while on a publicity trip to South Sudan and safety issues arose, in which the organization and the president Nawat Itsaragrisil of MGI did not take action nor look into. After Garcia's resignation from the title, the Miss Grand International Organization announced that her first runner-up, Claire Elizabeth Pearl Parker, will assume the title of Miss Grand International 2015.

Roi

*Enters a competition where woman are judged on their looks

*Exits when she is judged for her looks

sojour

Photo seems recent judging from the swimsuit competition on the website (all the women wore the same swimsuit).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
A veritable Miss Fatland, to be sure.

grumble

Doesn't seem fat to me... I mean she's not sub-20 % body fat but there's no rule that that suddenly makes someone not super attractive... which she is.

krang

She really should have refused to retract the first time, but she does acknowledge that. Hopefully this gets big traction and they're shamed.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
*Enters a competition where woman are judged on their looks

*Exits when she is judged for her looks
You realize this isn't the issue at all right? It's WAY more of an issue with body standards.

It's a beauty contest so I'm having a hard time being outraged. It would be one thing if she was told she was too fat to be an accountant or something. The fact she wanted to participate in a meat market beauty contest to begin with is telling.

Zubz

Banned
Beauty Contests are a horrible industry; I doubt this catches any traction, but anyone who could seriously call that anything more than underweight has impossibly high standards, and any woman risking to strive for that is going to put their body in serious danger (Without even starting with the emotional damage involved here).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom