• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miss Iceland too fat for a beauty contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peltz

Beauty pageants in general are utterly deplorable enterprises. The fact that they still exist in 2016 is absurd. The women who enter them and the men who judge them all have fucked up values. Many people will rightfully condemn the people this woman is accusing of calling her "too fat" to be in the contest.

But the same people will choose not to criticize this woman for wanting to enter the contest in the first place. I think contestants in these pageants are poor role models for young women and poor spokeswomen for their gender.

Yes, I think it's a good thing that this particular person spoke out against the unrealistic standards she's being asked to adhere to. But generally speaking, she's still part of the problem for entering a competition that places so much merit in physical appearance in the first place.

Yeah I feel a little conflicted on this. Obviously the idea that this woman could be considered too fat to be beautiful is delusional.

But is the real problem that we've set up a contest solely to judge women's looks in the first place? Or just that the judges are doing it wrong?

LotusHD

Banned
Beauty pageants in general are utterly deplorable enterprises. The fact that they still exist in 2016 is absurd. The women who enter them and the men who judge them all have fucked up values. Many people will rightfully condemn the people this woman is accusing of calling her "too fat" to be in the contest.

But the same people will choose not to criticize this woman for wanting to enter the contest in the first place. I think contestants in these pageants are poor role models for young women and poor spokeswomen for their gender.

Yes, I think it's a good thing that this particular person spoke out against the unrealistic standards she's being asked to adhere to. But generally speaking, she's still part of the problem for entering a competition that places so much merit in physical appearance in the first place.

Hmm, you not wrong

Peltz

Yeah I feel a little conflicted on this. Obviously the idea that this woman could be considered too fat to be beautiful is delusional.

But is the real problem that we've set up a contest solely to judge women's looks in the first place? Or just that the judges are doing it wrong?

It's the bolded. Contrast this type of contest... with.... say... a science fair to see how fucked up beauty pageants truly are.

If this woman said "the contest reps said I was too fat to enter the science fair" then we could rightfully rally around her and be upset. But calling her too fat for a beauty contest? Yea, the judges are wrong, but I'm a little less inclined to give a shit and have a whole lot of sympathy for the would-be contestant. It's a beauty contest - which is as vapid and contentless as it sounds.

Her dream of entering the contest is dumb. And people are unwilling to admit that when something like this happens.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It's a beauty contest so I'm having a hard time being outraged. It would be one thing if she was told she was too fat to be an accountant or something. The fact she wanted to participate in a meat market beauty contest to begin with is telling.
Telling of what.

LINK

14650338_10209747380235651_4938044449745553004_n.jpg

from that angle she got a fatty alright

If she lost because they thought she was too fat, then that would be insane but acceptable because she knowingly entered a contest where the entire purpose is to be judged by an incredibly arbitrary definition of "beauty".

The problem is that they did not want her to even compete. How does that make any sense?

Let the judges decide if she is too fat.

Shes fucking gorgeous! I dont understand what criteria needs to be met for these beauty contests. In what galaxy is that considered fat?

Future

She is fucking gorgeous and not fat at all.

But if she is considered too big for a pageant.... not sure I'm seeing a huge problem here. If they are going for a look and she doesn't have it, then she doesn't have it. I'm sure many others were rejected on some type of cosmetic criteria that people would hate if it was dissected. Their loss

Savitar

Obviously too fat, you can't really see her ribs sticking out to play them like a musical instrument in a cartoon, nor can she fall through a crack.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
She is fucking huge. Bigly. Unsightly. How can humans produce such filthy looking offspring. Disgusting.

🙄

Strax

She is fucking gorgeous and not fat at all.

But if she is considered too big for a pageant.... not sure I'm seeing a huge problem here. If they are going for a look and she doesn't have it, then she doesn't have it. I'm sure many others were rejected on some type of cosmetic criteria as well people would hate if it was dissected. Their loss

They wanted her to come. They paid for her flight and hotel and other stuff. It doesn't say in that article but she was promised a top 5 spot if she'd lose that weight.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
I'll start my own beauty contest, miss Iceland you are already accepted. You also just won. Good job. See you all next year.

manfestival

While she is one fine woman... it's their rules and requirements. I don't see the ordeal other than her being butthurt. If you can't cut the 10 pounds cause the rice is so good then you gotta deal with it. She's not fat but she's probably right above their standard. If others have to abide then she does
tldr: outrage culture strikes again

Dali

This makes no sense. She's Miss Iceland. She won the title so they should let her compete. Her chances of winning shouldn't even factor into it.

While she is one fine woman... it's their rules and requirements. I don't see the ordeal other than her being butthurt. If you can't cut the 10 pounds cause the rice is so good then you gotta deal with it. She's not fat but she's probably right above their standard. If others have to abide then she does

Why are the organizers telling her to cut the weight behind closed doors in the middle of the competition(she had already made it all the way to the grand final)? Why are they not letting her compete and leaving it up to the judges to decide?

LOL this username + post

They can do what they want, but they're not above criticism, change, or growing up.

Strax

They knew how heavy she was before they invited and paid for her flight and hotel and was asked to cut 5-10 pounds in 3-4 days when she arrived.

sakipon

I would be interested to know if this indeed is a rule. Do their rules state a certain body fat % or a weight limit in BMI? Then sure, it's their contest, list whatever requirements you want.

But if they just looked at her and decided to pressure her into losing some weight... that'd sound shady to me. That'd be misusing your power, possibly only on certain applicants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom