• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB looks to suspend A-Rod, Ryan Braun, 20+ others for PEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Fork

Let these guys juice already. The witchhunt is pointless and stupid.

I would agree but this would A. fuck over people who want to play without them, B. If there are no limits/regulations then how much will they cost, only the Yankees can afford to pay for the entire team, etc. and C. inevitably cause issues with kids in school playing baseball. Some parents will allow their kids to test them out in order to 'prepare' for the big leagues and so on. It would probably be a mess, but I do think the witch hunt is over the top.

dmag1223

It affects every sport from MMA, NFL, NBA, NHL, rugby, soccer, track and field, swimming etc.

Fuck that, about letting steroids slide in competition sports. Where does it end? What's the accountability? It'll become like modern bodybuilding, where no one who is natural even has a chance.

And if steroids are allowed, you know how harmful they are to health? Kids and teens would start using as well. Put up huge stats in their teen years so they get selected early etc.

If anything, lifetime bans from the HoF, invalidating their stats etc. Would be a start.

Whenever you have millions and millions of dollars on the line like you do in professional athletics, these athletes are always going to look for the next best thing, and more than likely stay one step ahead of the process. Witch hunts like these do nothing but hurt the sport.

Honestly, if I was from a dirt poor Latin American country like a lot of these guys, I would take the PHDs. The risk of getting caught is heavily outweighed by financial gains,

entremet

Apparently the tests are a joke to pass and I'm not talking about just MLB, but the Olympics and other sports. The cat is out of the bag.

Apparently the tests are a joke to pass and I'm not talking about just MLB, but the Olympics and other sports. The cat is out of the bag.

Of course it is. What does it say about the MLB and how serious and effective drug testing is when 20 guys are about to get busted and what, 1 or 2 of them actually tested positive? Basically 90% of hte league could easily get away with it if they weren't morons who used their real names when they bought shit.

entremet

Of course it is. What does it say about the MLB and how serious and effective drug testing is when 20 guys are about to get busted and what, 1 or 2 of them actually tested positive? Basically 90% of hte league could easily get away with it if they weren't morons who used their real names when they bought shit.

And they you have stuff like cortisone shots, which are steroids, allowed due to being administered on injured players are somehow allowed. Fuzzy logic there.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Who was the guy a few months ago who predicted this? If I remember right Felix hernandez was on there, and yes the cabrera they refer to is Melky. Also Cano and Granderson are on there as well.

Madness

Steroids aren't just about mass. They help you gain strength, build muscle, recover quicker, train harder and better than before.

The cat isn't out of the bag. Testing is highly affective, if MLB actually followed rigorous testing. How about a urine and blood sample before every game? And random testing that is kept on file.

Testing standards improve everyday. It's why so many organizations and committees like the Olympics keep samples for decades. So that if a guy like Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt was juicing, they might catch it when they redo testing after years or something.

I agree, they should have nipped it in the bud in the early 90's but they didn't.

And it'll devastate competitive sports. Not only would you probably get a few heart attacks, deaths etc. But you'd actively tell teens they only have a shot if they juice. And so you'll have 13-14 year old pitchers start to inject test or take Winstrol etc.

Sephzilla

I dunno, part of me still thinks Braun wasn't actually on the juice in the first place. I know defending Braun is an absolute lost cause in most peoples eyes, but I think there one or two Brewers who were on the juice... but Braun wasn't one of them.

Steroids aren't just about mass. They help you gain strength, build muscle, recover quicker, train harder and better than before.

The cat isn't out of the bag. Testing is highly affective, if MLB actually followed rigorous testing. How about a urine and blood sample before every game? And random testing that is kept on file.

Testing standards improve everyday. It's why so many organizations and committees like the Olympics keep samples for decades. So that if a guy like Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt was juicing, they might catch it when they redo testing after years or something.

I agree, they should have nipped it in the bud in the early 90's but they didn't.

And it'll devastate competitive sports. Not only would you probably get a few heart attacks, deaths etc. But you'd actively tell teens they only have a shot if they juice. And so you'll have 13-14 year old pitchers start to inject test or take Winstrol etc.

Olympic testing is supposed to be the most stringent yet Marion Jones was juicing her balls off (or on?) and never failed a single test. I believe she was tested something like 200+ times over her career and never failed a single time. Same with Lance Armstrong. It's not a coincidence that almost all of the high profile PED are exposed by some other paper trail and almost never from a failed test. The science will always be ahead of the curve.

And what exactly is the point of catching a guy 10 years after the fact? What will Michael Phelps or Usiain Bolt really lose if they are busted in their 40s? After all of the fame and accolades and money? Hell if anything it'll just mean more money in the inevitable book deal and talk show circuit.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Wow, just looked Biogenesis up and I actually drove right past it today. I should've picked up some.

entremet

PED use has decades of trial and error. You can use some steroids for life safely into your 80s if you do your homework.

Actually making them illegal has created a black market of labs that produce stuff that much lower in quality than in the 60/70s when pharmaceutical copies produced them at much better standards.

JABEE

Yep. He had a long, long streak of never getting caught stealing bases too. He never won an MVP though. If you just look at the five years of his prime, he had historic value to the Phillies. Injuries and age caught up to him and he still is second in WAR by a pretty large margin.
I wonder if the MVP discussion ever comes up between Utley, Rollins, and Howard.

MLB wants to make money. The only reason they even give a shit about busting these guys is because they know if they don't and it gets out the government will be all over them.

That's how this steroid system works, in all sports. Sacrifice a few guys here and there, keep printing money.

:jnc at the idea that Ortiz isn't juicing. Boston fans love them some high horse.

What a sham sport.

no worse than the NFL. buncha hulks you have there.

You know what would curtail this ongoing problem with baseball? Lifetime bans. Perm them Bish.

If MLB is cool with doing it to Pete for gambling then they should do it to cheaters.

how did they cheat? they used regulations balls, gloves, cleats and bats. they played by the rules of Baseball.

I bet the yankees are loving this. They don't have to pay A-rods corpse his massive contract for 50 games.

I think they do.

MLB wants to make money. The only reason they even give a shit about busting these guys is because they know if they don't and it gets out the government will be all over them.

That's how this steroid system works, in all sports. Sacrifice a few guys here and there, keep printing money.

:jnc at the idea that Ortiz isn't juicing. Boston fans love them some high horse.

I thought you couldn't shit talk about Baseball? :jnc

Pardon my ignorance, but what benefits do the players get for taking PEDs? I mean in which aspect of Baseball will they gain an advantage? It's not like they ride the Tour de France or lift weights at the Olympics. I am clueless.

DarkFlow

Banned
no worse than the NFL. buncha hulks you have there.

how did they cheat? they used regulations balls, gloves, cleats and bats. they played by the rules of Baseball.

I think they do.

I thought you couldn't shit talk about Baseball? :jnc
If your suspend for roid use, you don't get paid. It's in pretty much all contracts.

JonnyBrad

Pardon my ignorance, but what benefits do the players get for taking PEDs? I mean in which aspect of Baseball will they gain an advantage? It's not like they ride the Tour de France or lift weights at the Olympics. I am clueless.

They can hit the ball further basically. Long flies turn into HR's etc.

Not really much point using endurance stuff for Baseball obviously.

MickeyPhree

While not the most physical of sports, you play 150+ games over a five to six month period. Steroids can help recover from injury faster in addition to being able to knock the shit out of the ball.

shira

It won't make your skill better. Higher than 20/20 vision, hand eye co-ordination and hitting skill are usually unaffected.
Barry Bonds was a very good hitter. After PED's he turned into the homerun champion. So you have to have a very good skill set to begin with.

I am a huge baseball fan. I love the game. I love playing it. But watching it outside of the playoffs is ungodly boring now.

But it was so much more exciting when steroids were prevalent. Steroids showed who the real talent was. Let them juice up, I don't give a fuck. Or at least half the length of the season and give the players more breaks in between games. Do something to make the regular season not so shitty.

Madness

PED use has decades of trial and error. You can use some steroids for life safely into your 80s if you do your homework.

Actually making them illegal has created a black market of labs that produce stuff that much lower in quality than in the 60/70s when pharmaceutical copies produced them at much better standards.

Uh, I think you misread what I wrote. I'm not against steroid use for personal gain. What difference does it make to you, me, the government if little timmy wants to do a 12 week cycle of test while going to the gym.

My point is, steroid use for competitive sports will devastate the game. No matter how safe you are, people will abuse them.

You create two tiers of players. Those who juice and those who don't. The ones who don't want have a chance and so even if they don't want to use steroids, they HAVE to, to even be given a chance. Some people might have access to better/safer steroids.

The next problem is the fact that up and coming players will take them earlier and earlier. If they are allowed in MLB, NFL, why won't the little kid in junior high who just made the freshman team want to experiment? The earlier he starts, the quicker he will excel and get noticed.

You'd have teens risk their heart and health for short term gain. I know how effective steroids are, and also how destructive they can be. What if some all-american slugger who needs to keep juicing to put up those stats, has a heart attack due to high blood pressure or enlarged heart?

But hey, what do I know. If it was me, I'd have started testing in the 90's, blood and urine samples before games, random etc. Sure you might have people go under the radar like Lance Armstrong did, but you can't just sit back and do nothing.

Slapping baseballs like a bomb and recovery in a long season. I get the appeal of that. Thanks for enlightening me. I don't play the game, but I love playing catch.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Players mostly use them in the offseason for workouts. Stronger you are the easier the game will be, still have to be able to play the game though but added strength helps.

Being able to swing a heavier bat is probably one of the big bonuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom