• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryan Braun suspended by MLB for entire season

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucius

It would not surprise me if any star used or even still tries to use some form of PEDs I don't even care if they do really and actually think they should be allowed to for recovery of injuries. Didn't David Wells say like a year ago that like 3/4 of players are still using some form of it, and he knows the players. Only person would kind of surprise me if it ever came out Ken Griffey Jr was on it when he played just because he seemed like the most natural talent I ever saw with that beautiful swing, but still would not be a total shock he did it at some point.

GQman2121

Banned
Well, the rest of the season at least.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2...raun-for-the-remainder-of-the-season/related/

Braun has already accepted the suspension and the former MVP issued a statement that said: “I realize now that I have made some mistakes. I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions and stay at one of my many homes around the world and continue to ball so hard motherfuckers want to fine me.”

I think that last part is a bit over the line, but I'm sure he and all the youth baseball players out there have learnt a vital lesson here.

I guess I'm just not convinced walking all the time is necessarily a matter of having great hand-eye coordination because Bonds got pitched around an epic amount. Tony Gwynn has a career average like 35 points higher than Bonds does.

One might ask why Bonds got pitched around all the time.

DarkFlow

Banned
Why the fuck would he do it again?! He dodged a bullet the first time he popped hot. So why in the fuck would you keep doing it?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
One might ask why Bonds got pitched around all the time.

Well, if you remember, SF fans would hold those stupid signs that said "pitch to Barry" as though that was an intelligent baseball strategy. Moreover, the guy in question cites 2004, when he was in the midst of being the size of a Mack truck. What do you think?

I'm not saying Bonds wasn't a great, Hall of Fame quality hitter. I just think that is a super specific compliment that doesn't necessarily describe why he was a great hitter; honestly, it just sounds like trying to excuse the roids by demonstrating he was a HOF caliber player anyways. Who knows how good Bonds would have been in his late 30s sans roids?

Sephzilla

Well, time to get rid of that jersey.

EDIT: The whole "Bond's still had great eyes" defense is a laughable joke. For all we know if he stayed clean his whole career his body could have fallen apart kind of like how Griffey Jr. did.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Tony Gwynn has a career average like 35 points higher than Bonds does.

He also had a career BABIP .341, while Bonds was a .285. Bonds also had an ISO more than double of Gwynn. They were different types of hitters, those sorts of stats don't really detail anything in terms of strike zone recognition in terms of swinging at strikes or not.

Heel

So at this point, why don't we just let everyone juice? It's becoming quite the joke and not even a "shock" anymore when someone gets caught.

Might as well have everyone juice it up in every sport so we can finally come close to the perfection of

mutant-league-football.jpg

The main argument is "...but what about the kids!?"

Solution: Tell them that sports are real, just like Santa and the Tooth Fairy, but do it until they're 18. Then have "The Talk", hand them their first box of syringes and let them know that downing their daily vitamin with a glass of milk will never get them to the majors.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
He also had a career BABIP .341, while Bonds was a .285. Bonds also had an ISO more than double of Gwynn. They were different types of hitters, those sorts of stats don't really detail anything in terms of strike zone recognition in terms of swinging at strikes or not.

I don't know what any of those stats mean. My point is mostly that "Bonds had the best eyes ever" doesn't really describe anything. Good eyes could translate to practically anything. It just sounds like excusing his roid abuse on the grounds that a characteristic that can't be demonstrably improved by steroids was awesome.

EBCubs03

Banned
He's probably made way more money from using drugs than the money he's going to lose

So uhh, he probably doesn't really care

GodofWine

Looking forward to Braun losing 20lbs before next season and saying he it eating healthy and will be faster than ever.

You know what is great about steroids...they work, and once you use them for sport, or bodybuilding, whatever, being clean will never give you that invincible alpha strength again, hence they are mentally addictive, and this is why these guys can stay off this shit.

Jangocube

Banned
At least Baseball is testing players and suspending them harshly. If only football/basketball did the same.

And here's to hoping we see a lot of Stankees on the upcoming list! I'm looking at you Cano

Sephzilla

At least Baseball is testing players and suspending them harshly. If only football/basketball did the same.

And here's to hoping we see a lot of Stankees on the upcoming list! I'm looking at you Cano

In MLB your first offense costs you roughly a third of your season. In the NFL it's a fourth of your season. Percentage wise it's not that different, the NFL equivalent would only be one more game.

The big difference is that the general public gets a lot more upset when a baseball player tests positive instead of a football player.

GQman2121

Banned

I'm afraid Chris Davis's days are probably numbered. That's not tobacco in his mouth. :(

NateDrake

The only Yankee getting suspended from this will be Arod. Cano isn't on steroids.

I don't know what any of those stats mean. My point is mostly that "Bonds had the best eyes ever" doesn't really describe anything. Good eyes could translate to practically anything. It just sounds like excusing his roid abuse on the grounds that a characteristic that can't be demonstrably improved by steroids was awesome.

Coincidentally, those stats you don't know help measure what might be implied by "good eyes", and I'm also going to take a wild and crazy guess that he's talking about determining balls and strikes and connecting well on swings.

Hank Aaron is still the home run king.

I met him in February at an event in Washington, and told him, too.

Yeah those greenies he took sure didn't enhance his performance or anything.

It baffles me that people think baseball has a clean history. Baseball has a dark, dirty history, no matter what the idiot writers would like you to believe, and the attempts to villainize an entire generation of players while trying to pretend that their childhood heroes were saints are ridiculous.

You guys and I just have a different outlook. I prefer to think no one is doing anything and you prefer to think everyone is doing something. I give people the benefit of the doubt.
Sorry friend but it's incredibly myopic to still assume most of these guys aren't juicing. The amount and caliber of guys getting caught shows that it's rampant in the sport.

Jangocube

Banned
I'm afraid Chris Davis's days are probably numbered. That's not tobacco in his mouth. :(

He's probably on something, but his power has been consistent throughout his entire career. Soooooo, wouldn't surprise me, but I don't think he's on anything serious. Plus he's an Oriole. Orioles don't cheat(Raffy is a Ranger and Brady Anderson was eating his spinach for that one season).

The only Yankee getting suspended from this will be Arod. Cano isn't on steroids.

Wasn't his name linked to something with this clinic? Or a friend of his family?

Yep, here it is: Here's to hoping that catch this cheater as well

NateDrake

He's probably on something, but his power has been consistent throughout his entire career. Soooooo, wouldn't surprise me, but I don't think he's on anything serious. Plus he's an Oriole. Orioles don't cheat(Raffy is a Ranger and Brady Anderson was eating his spinach for that one season).

Wasn't his name linked to something with this clinic? Or a friend of his family?
One of Cano's reps or something was named, but they said a while back Cano was in no danger of being suspended.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yankees/post/_/id/56588/senior-official-cano-is-not-a-part-of-this

DarkFlow

Banned
I guess I'm just not convinced walking all the time is necessarily a matter of having great hand-eye coordination because Bonds got pitched around an epic amount. Tony Gwynn has a career average like 35 points higher than Bonds does. It's such a specific compliment that it sounds like apologizing for the steroids.

Lol Tony Gwynn was a singles machine. If bonds had focused on singles and not home runs, I'm pretty sure he would have had like a .500 avg and I'm not even joking. Also Gwynn thought he got a free hot dog with every single, so he really liked to bang them out. He pimps a car dealer here in SD, dude got FAT.

Angry Grimace

Coincidentally, those stats you don't know help measure what might be implied by "good eyes", and I'm also going to take a wild and crazy guess that he's talking about determining balls and strikes and connecting well on swings.

I'm not in a position to argue about sabrmetric stats since I don't know anything about them.

Lol Tony Gwynn was a singles machine. If bonds had focused on singles and not home runs, I'm pretty sure he would have had like a .500 avg and I'm not even joking. Also Gwynn thought he got a free hot dog with every single, so he really liked to bang them out. He pimps a car dealer here in SD, dude got FAT.

Gwynn was fat the entire time and I'm very sure Bonds would have hit .400 if he only wanted singles.

Sorry friend but it's incredibly myopic to still assume most of these guys aren't juicing. The amount and caliber of guys getting caught shows that it's rampant in the sport.
Assumptions get you nowhere my friend. I'm well aware a good portion of the league is juicing, but I'm not going to sit around claiming I know which ones are and which ones aren't. It's incredibly pointless. Bo Jackson played two sports and made everyone else in sports look like a fool while doing it, and he did it without steroids. So I'm not going to sit around assuming that everyone that does well is doing so because of steroids.

I'll just wait until evidence pops up and judge people accordingly. Anything else is just a waste of time. I did it with Palmero and it didn't make my life any worse.

Angry Grimace

I'd be fine with letting everyone juice if they put in a salary cap

.500? Psh, more like .750. And if Bonds really wanted to he'd have been able to average 250-300 hits a year. And if he really was putting forth the effort he'd have been able to hit 100 homeruns too!

Angry Grimace

Oh no, He's like double the playing time Fat.

I live here, I know how fat he is. He was fat and in his late 30s when he hit .372 in '97. THAT guy on steroids would have been interesting.

.500? Psh, more like .750. And if Bonds really wanted to he'd have been able to average 250-300 hits a year. And if he really was putting forth the effort he'd have been able to hit 100 homeruns too!

I hit 115 home runs with Ken Griffey Jr. in Major League Baseball feat. Griffey for the N64, Obviously Bonds could do better. If he was trying.

Assumptions get you nowhere my friend. I'm well aware a good portion of the league is juicing, but I'm not going to sit around claiming I know which ones are and which ones aren't. It's incredibly pointless. Bo Jackson played two sports and made everyone else in sports look like a fool while doing it, and he did it without steroids. So I'm not going to sit around assuming that everyone that does well is doing so because of steroids.

I'll just wait until evidence pops up and judge people accordingly. Anything else is just a waste of time. I did it with Palmero and it didn't make my life any worse.
That's cool.

Personally I couldn't give less of a fuck who's on roids. In fact I can't stand the witch hunt - MLB didn't care one iota when they were making money hand over fist but now that roids has thoroughly infested the game everybody wants to get sanctimonious about it.

That's cool.

Personally I couldn't give less of a fuck who's on roids. In fact I can't stand the witch hunt - MLB didn't care one iota when they were making money hand over fist but now that roids has thoroughly infested the game everybody wants to get sanctimonious about it.
This is why I don't bother getting up in arms about any player doing well until something suspicious comes up. It's just something ESPN and sports radio stations harp on because they don't have enough content to fill their time slots. Then everyone else brings it up because watching a sport isn't enough for people anymore.

I wish no one in the league did steroids, but I'd rather just watch it and assume the best of people and be disappointed in them later instead of sitting there and putting everything under the microscope to knock people down a notch. It takes a lot of fun out of sports.

Or from being 37 years old and having nearly 20 years of wear and tear on his body.

Come on. He's clearly the next person to be named.

This is why I don't bother getting up in arms about any player doing well until something suspicious comes up. It's just something ESPN and sports radio stations harp on because they don't have enough content to fill their time slots. Then everyone else brings it up because watching a sport isn't enough for people anymore.

ESPN is usually the last network to report on steroids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom