• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryan Braun suspended by MLB for entire season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh. As a Milwaukee native, hardcore Brewers fan and initial Braun supporter, I'm really disappointed. Not upset or shocked, just disappointed.

Still. He if comes back next season and is still able to put up big numbers and lead the team, I'll throw my support behind him again. Until then, ugh!

Ugh. As a Milwaukee native, hardcore Brewers fan and initial Braun supporter, I'm really disappointed. Not upset or shocked, just disappointed.

Still. He if comes back next season and is still able to put up big numbers and lead the team, I'll throw my support behind him again. Until then, ugh!

Hasn't this whole ordeal proven that Braun knows how to get passed the drug testing system now? He only got caught because his name was essentially on a receipt. Curious how he can ever get fans to "trust" him again.

SummitAve

Banned
He should publicly apologize to that tester who he threw under the bus last year to get off. Dragged that poor guy through the mud with his deceit.

Hunter S.

Meanwhile Von Miller just got suspended for failing a drug test and nobody really cares.

It is not the Juice. It would be a Molly and Cannabis thread which is always interpreted way differently with good reason. It is not to help the player be better unnaturally.

v0yce

I don't know no if its sad or heartening that people are naming their 90s heroes as obvious clean athletes. I'd easily be more surprised to find an athlete who didn't take PEDs during the era where they could do it with no consequences.

I mean I obviously have no proof, but do you guys think that Nolan Ryan was blowin high 90s when he was 40 because he worked real hard?

hom3land

At least the players aren't all going to have their brains scrambled before they retire.

At least Braun didn't murder someone.

That's because he's a baseball player.. Murdering someone probably requires more stamina than he's use to. Surprised players don't get ass sores from all the siting. Sit half of a game only to sit on a bus going to a plane to sit on their flight to their next game.

v0yce

That's because he's a baseball player.. Murdering someone probably requires more stamina than he's use to. Surprised players don't get ass sores from all the siting. Sit half of a game only to sit on a bus going to a plane to sit on their flight to their next game.

Yeah, footballers are tuff. They play 16 whole times a year!

dmag1223

Great post.

Not get busted again.

But he didn't get busted this time, at least not by the testing. It stands to reason that if he didn't use his own name or buy from a moron like Bosche he could be juicing his balls off all he wanted without repercussions. It tells me that there are very easy and clear ways around baseballs testing, which is not a good look for them.

great troll, would laugh at again.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Meanwhile Von Miller just got suspended for failing a drug test and nobody really cares.

PED's are different than Molly and weed.

Furthermore, Braun is a piece of shit for how he treated people and his response to being caught cheating, and that is part of why people are making this a big deal. Someone on the ESPN broadcast of the Rangers game tonight said it best, he is the Lance Armstrong of the MLB steroid age.

Von Miller has a weed problem and does sack dances for charity.

Braun really is a piece of shit. He's not the only one. He just got caught.

PS Barry Larkin is a fucking idiot. Barry if it talks like a duck and walks like a duck, what is it? It ain't a fucking horse.

PED's are different than Molly and weed.

Furthermore, Braun is a piece of shit for how he treated people and his response to being caught cheating, and that is part of why people are making this a big deal. Someone on the ESPN broadcast of the Rangers game tonight said it best, he is the Lance Armstrong of the MLB steroid age.

Von Miller has a weed problem and does sack dances for charity.

Von Miller has glaucoma doe. He wears prescription glasses.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Barry, during the 73 HR season, was the best hitter ever. He used to literally swing the bat once a game, and it was a HR. The other 3-4 ABs, it was like he was intentionally walked those times.

let them juice it's more fun to watch

I hate the giants but every bonds AB was an event

if they wanna risk their bodies so be it

Pop

t4f5p.gif

Losing almost 4 million bucks this year isn't funny is it Braun? hahahaha

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
The Leagues are the root cause of this, as much as they want to distance themselves, they truly held the power, but were blinded by money to react appropriately

There should be no GODDAMN fucking reason there should be a 162 Baseball Game Season

Lower that shit, bring it down to 120 range, remove all of April and late September
No reason World Series should now be starting in fucking November
Change up the playoff format, yeah you lost 42 game from the season, take some of those and make them playoff, by adding a few teams to the mix

It's really stupid how many people in the media went bananas when they added Wild Card round, the sanctity that is holy of baseball is ruined (FUCK YOU Costas)
Yeah lets keep that dinosaur old and busted, let's not evolve it, revolutionize it to a new standard

NHL players are fucking Linebackers on Skates with weapons in their hands, you had the occasional Defender who was huge and punisher for a few teams, but now every other fucking player, even the GODDAMN Goalie is built like fucking trucks

NFL has it's own headaches, they really lost the war like America did in the drug war, just now they are going around like Nancy Regan going "Just say No" marketing campaigns

NBA is just trying to survive against the onslaught, for the all shit David Stern blesses himself as the savior for NBA, this is the biggest fucking cloud over his head with PED's

Also labor unions have a huge direct impact

MLB is the strongest, then NFL, then I think NHL, NBA is the worst, they threw the whole NBA Players Union under the bus with their CBA, Jesus Fuck, they have no backbone

Losing almost 4 million bucks this year isn't funny is it Braun? hahahaha

Do you really think he's crying?

Baseball contracts are guaranteed money, so he lost what 4mil from a reported $145.5 Million contract til 2020, which was a 7 year add-on for $105 Million
So he has already made 40 + 2013 money already...

Fuck Yeah, dude is losing 4 million dollars, even though earned 11 million of it already, he sure got owned... HAHHAHAHAHAHA

Now if it was a NFL player, yeah that shit will fucking hurt like a mothafucka'

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I would love for it to be revealed that ripken roided. the meltdowns would be incredible, like fireworks in space.

If Bret Boone can drive in 130 and hit 37 bombs on steroids, Ripken would have hit like 60 homers.

see5harp

I have no clue how this or anything else could lead to the conclusion he has super good eyes.

Do you know baseball? Look at his walk numbers, look at his batting average, look at how many times he swings and misses. It's a very quantifiable opinion with modern stat sites so why you think otherwise is crazy.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Do you know baseball? Look at his walk numbers, look at his batting average, look at how many times he swings and misses. It's a very quantifiable opinion with modern stat sites so why you think otherwise is crazy.

No, it isn't and you're missing the point entirely. What does "eyes" even mean? His batting average? Dude's career batting average is .298. His selection at the plate? He was pitched around for his entire career. His "swinging strike" rate, which I can't find and nobody has alleged, is probably nowhere close to say to keep the conversation consistent, Gwynn's (Bonds career low in strikeouts is higher than Gwynn's career high, not that I'm alleging Bonds was ever a strikeout machine).

"He has the best eyes of all time" is an inherently meaningless statement because you could connect virtually every batting stat to his "eyes." The only point of making the statement in my opinion is apologizing for the steroids since, you know, his eyes probably didn't get better on steroids.

Edit: To clarify the statement, I'm not debating he may or may not have had good eyes, I'm debating that he had the best eyes ever. The conversation that followed was assuming this was how people read that.

cashman

Banned

Yeah, I don't see anybody that comes close to having the plate discipline Bonds did. That .600+OBP in 2004 was fucking nuts.

see5harp

No, it isn't and you're missing the point entirely. What does "eyes" even mean? His batting average? Dude's career batting average is .298. His selection at the plate? He was pitched around for his entire career. His "swinging strike" rate, which I can't find and nobody has alleged, is probably nowhere close to say to keep the conversation consistent, Gwynn's (Bonds career low in strikeouts is higher than Gwynn's career high, not that I'm alleging Bonds was ever a strikeout machine).

"He has the best eyes of all time" is an inherently meaningless statement because you could connect virtually every batting stat to his "eyes." The only point of making the statement in my opinion is apologizing for the steroids since, you know, his eyes probably didn't get better on steroids.

The steroids obviously helped his power, which made pitching strikes to him more difficult so it's obviously not all god given power. In some of those years when he was amassing walks and HR's, when guys threw darts at corners, Barry wasn't even lifting the bat off his shoulder. He was literally recognizing pitches right out of hand. I've never seen a guy do that and strike out so few times. Sure, the juice was a part of it, but plenty of guys juice. And Barry never even got caught like this scrubby Matt Harvey looking reject.

And while people use the "eyes" thing as a way to compliment the player, it's no downplaying of the steroids thing. Even if he DID take steroids, he was still better than Tony Gywnn. Come on man.

3N16MA

Banned

Edit: To clarify the statement, I'm not debating he may or may not have had good eyes, I'm debating that he had the best eyes ever. The conversation that followed was assuming this was how people read that.

You can find his SwStr% on Fangraphs (2002-2007 only).

Angry Grimace

The steroids obviously helped his power, which made pitching strikes to him more difficult so it's obviously not all god given power. In some of those years when he was amassing walks and HR's, when guys threw darts at corners, Barry wasn't even lifting the bat off his shoulder. He was literally recognizing pitches right out of hand. I've never seen a guy do that and strike out so few times. Sure, the juice was a part of it, but plenty of guys juice. And Barry never even got caught like this scrubby Matt Harvey looking reject.

And while people use the "eyes" thing as a way to compliment the player, it's no downplaying of the steroids thing. Even if he DID take steroids, he was still better than Tony Gywnn. Come on man.

I disagree entirely; I think there's no other reason to even bring it up. I'm not arguing he's a not a better player than Gwynn ever was. He was almost certainly a more valuable player than Gwynn was even before the steroids since he had better speed AND but better power. I simply question how we're judging how good his eyes are. Almost nobody was as good as putting the bat on the ball as Gwynn was.

Hl9tq8E.png

It almost always refers to plate discipline - the ability to identify pitch type and location, the strike zone, etc.

Its not even that I necessary disagree with that, but it could just as easily translate to putting the bat on the ball.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I think there's no other reason to even bring it up.

People bring it up because his ownership of the pitcher/batter matchup is very very rare.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/barry-bonds-and-the-2002-world-series/

Hitting is the offense of baseball, but it often has a defensive feel to it. The pitcher has every advantage — different pitches, different locations and the inherent difficulty of simply hitting a ball with a bat all favor the pitcher; the batter is the one forced to defend the strikezone. For all the talk about how the game’s best hitters succeed only 40 percent of the time, consider therefore the game’s worst pitchers still succeed around 60 percent of the time.

That defensive feeling was never there with Bonds. His plate discipline was so tight, his power so fearsome and his decisions so quick that he controlled at-bats unlike no other player alive or dead.

Its not even that I necessary disagree with that, but it could just as easily translate to putting the bat on the ball.

Those numbers also show that. His Z-contact average during that time was 90%!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom