• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryan Braun suspended by MLB for entire season

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes you so sure that he wasn't juicing...because he was fat?

I can't believe people still do this. A few posts up someone mentioned how Ken Griffey couldn't have juiced because he was just a natural talent...wtf do you call Barry Bonds? You would think that after everything that has happened, after guys like Francisco Cerveilli, Manny Ramirez, Bartolo Colon, Andy Pettitte, Raphael Palmero and any number of no name career minor leaguers and fringe releivers got busted people would stop using the "eye test" to decide who is and isn't juicing.

Come on. He's clearly the next person to be named.

Of course he is. But using his body breaking down as proof that PEDs are bad for you, when he is 37 years old, is stupid. Baseball players break down in their 30s. Always have always will.

knicks

Is Barry Larkin stupid?

Seriously. I don't understand what his deal was on ESPN earlier today when this came out.
KuGsj.gif
It was absurd. He kept saying we need more evidence after Braun told MLB he was guilty and they caught him.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It was hyperbole, maybe I should note that next time... then again if you know baseball you would know that's pretttttty much impossible.

So the term "and I'm not even joking" means you're joking? And here I was bitching about the mis-use of the word "literal." Now there's nothing at all that indicates the literal nature of a statement.

mjc

He's a dumbass for doing it even after getting away with it the first time.

All players in professional sports have juiced to one degree or another. It is known.

shira

Or from being 37 years old and having nearly 20 years of wear and tear on his body.

PED's + wear and tear or PED's cause wear and tear. If you have muscles that are too strong for your bones and tendons what do you think happens?

Funny how Cal Ripken hardly ever got injured.

I'm saying that to suggest the guy isn't juicing and that it isn't why he's as broken down as he is is beyond absurd.

Nobody is suggesting he isn't juicing, but to use a 37 year old ball player breaking down as evidence that "SEE PEDS ARE BAD" is stupid. It proves nothing.

shira said:
PED's + wear and tear or PED's cause wear and tear. If you have muscles that are too strong for your bones and tendons what do you think happens?

This is just getting ridiculous. He's fucking old. PEDs or no PEDs his career would be coming to an end. Cal Ripken eventually broke down too. Because he got fucking old. It's such a silly conclusion to try and come to.

It's like we've come full circle. Guys used to get accused of juicing becuse they defied father time and played well into their late 30s and 40s (Bonds, Palmero, Clemens) now guys are breaking down like they are supposed to and it's because of PEDs too.

shira

Yeah, it's like he had an incredible ability to recover or something.

LOL are you accusing Cal fucking Ripken of PED abuse.

This is just getting ridiculous. He's fucking old. PEDs or no PEDs his career would be coming to an end. Cal Ripken eventually broke down too. Because he got fucking old. It's such a silly conclusion to try and come to.

Old is what now? When did Michael Jordan when his 6th? 35.

Vyse24

You know my cousin believed for years that Mariano Rivera was always a juicer. Said if you look closely at his arm while he's pitching, it becomes obvious. Was never sure if he was just trolling.

It's shit like this that I hate - when someone holds up x player as a beacon of virtue. You have no idea whether or not Ripken was juicing.

Nobody is suggesting he isn't juicing, but to use a 37 year old ball player breaking down as evidence that "SEE PEDS ARE BAD" is stupid. It proves nothing.

Or from being 37 years old and having nearly 20 years of wear and tear on his body.

You said "or," I'm just going by your own words.

Steroids cause injuries and injuries shorten careers. No one is stretching here except for you.

lucius

I'm saying that to suggest the guy isn't juicing and that it isn't why he's as broken down as he is is beyond absurd.

But this does not explain how it extended some careers like Clemens and others, in Arod's case I don't think you can point to steroids specifically for his break downs. Ortiz is still going strong.

But this does not explain how it extended some careers like Clemens and others, in Arod's case I don't think you can point to steroids specifically for his break downs. Ortiz is still going strong.

How can you say it extended their careers? What are you comparing it to? How long bizarro Roger Clemens who never juiced and lives in a parallel universe played?

How can you say it extended their careers? What are you comparing it to? How long bizarro Roger Clemens who never juiced and lives in a parallel universe played?

The same way you can say it cut A-Rod's career short. What are you comparing that to?

The fact is that most PED use isn't so that players can have nice beach bodies, it's so that they can recover faster from injuries and maintain their health through a long season and as they age.

Wow what? Because I don't just stick my head in the sand? Because I don't decide who did and didn't cheat based on how they looked or how likable they were? There was a time when A-Rod, beleive it or not, was the great savior who would take back the HR record from that dastardly Barry Bonds. Everyone was so certain he was just a nice, handsome guy who was doing it the right way. There was a time when Manny was too aloof and wacky to use steroids. He just did it on good ol' arroz and pollo. There was a time when no way Roger Clemens juiced. For one, he was a pitcher! Pitcher's don't need muscles! And for two, he had a legendary work ethic! He worked out from sunrise to sunset what did he need steroids for?

The same way you can say it cut A-Rod's career short. What are you comparing that to?

The fact is that most PED use isn't so that players can have nice beach bodies, it's so that they can recover faster from injuries and maintain their health through a long season and as they age.

I don't need to compare it because common sense tells me that things that make someone more prone to bodily injury will make it harder for someone to keep making a career out of using their body.

Cause and effect as a predictor works a lot better than "I think this is true because I wish it was."

I don't need to compare it because common sense tells me that things that make someone more prone to bodily injury will make it harder for someone to keep making a career out of using their body.

Cause and effect as a predictor works a lot better than "I think this is true because I wish it was."

It sounds like you just want it to be true because there is no way of telling if A-Rod or any other player wouldn't have the same breakdown. If he were 29 and were having these injuries, or having his hamstring pop off of his leg, that's one thing, but at 37 I'm more prone to believe that it's the 20 years of wear and tear on his body that is causing him to break down moreso than PED use (which I don't deny)

aFIGurANT

Baseball is such a fucking joke. What a shitty debacle that sport have become in the last decade.

I can tell you really know what you're talking about here...especially with your tag. Baseball is merely a great case study of athletes who actually attract intense scrutiny and actual punishment. This is a great day for baseball even if it sucks for my fantasy team.

Heel

Truth hurts. Just because you're a rotund singles hitter or a balding waif who played 2131 games straight doesn't mean you're a symbol of purity and free from scrutiny when it comes to steroid use as a baseball player in the 1990's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom