• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Heel

UFC on FOX Conference Call with Dana White, Cain Velasquez and Junior Dos Santos

Bloody Elbow has notes from the call here.

“There’s only gonna be one fight. The heavyweight championship is the only fight that’s gonna be on Fox, [even if] it goes 10 seconds.”

• Dana says prelims will be on Facebook and Fox.com and the weigh-ins will be aired on Fuel and that we can expect major changes to the format including production changes starting in January (goodbye gladiator montage?)

• White feels that the Brazilian edition of TUF will be talent steeped and says he wants to do the show on a global scale and have the winners compete in a format similar to the World Cup

• In spite of the financial hit he says they will take with cards like this one, there are no plans to reduce number of free shows as White says he wants the UFC’s TV model to resemble ABC’s “Wide World of Sports”

• Hinted perhaps that the Strikeforce negotiations may not happen as he stated that the UFC doesn’t do a deal unless they are completely in the driver’s seat

dream

I'm reading a comic about the mixed martials that is surprisingly awesome. It's called Heart if anyone cares.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
So is this Brazilian version of TUF limited to Brazilians? Is the normal one then going to change to only Americans if that is true?

Heel

sazabirules said:
So is this Brazilian version of TUF limited to Brazilians? Is the normal one then going to change to only Americans if that is true?

I'm pretty sure the regional TUF shows will only feature fighters from their country. I guess we'll find out about U.S. TUF relatively soon:

'The Ultimate Fighter 15' features lightweights, welterweights; Dec. 5 tryouts

The idea of the winners from each country competing is really interesting. I think they'd have to have seasons going on simultaneously across the globe for it to work, though. Sounds like a logistical nightmare.

TheNatural

My Member!
sien916 said:
UFC on FOX Conference Call with Dana White, Cain Velasquez and Junior Dos Santos

Bloody Elbow has notes from the call here.

“There’s only gonna be one fight. The heavyweight championship is the only fight that’s gonna be on Fox, [even if] it goes 10 seconds.”

• Dana says prelims will be on Facebook and Fox.com and the weigh-ins will be aired on Fuel and that we can expect major changes to the format including production changes starting in January (goodbye gladiator montage?)

• White feels that the Brazilian edition of TUF will be talent steeped and says he wants to do the show on a global scale and have the winners compete in a format similar to the World Cup

• In spite of the financial hit he says they will take with cards like this one, there are no plans to reduce number of free shows as White says he wants the UFC’s TV model to resemble ABC’s “Wide World of Sports”

• Hinted perhaps that the Strikeforce negotiations may not happen as he stated that the UFC doesn’t do a deal unless they are completely in the driver’s seat

They should consider a weekly Friday Night Fights type card then. I know Ultimate Fighter will be going live, which is a plus, but they should try to put on a couple of 3 month "seasons" of lower level fights a year. They would have to expand the roster a large amount though, or at least just hire one off provisional fighters.

yacobod said:
brocktoberfest
aaahahahaha erik paulson is so full of shit

i bet brock goes in looking the worst he has ever looked in the octagon

it's gonna be a slaughter at the hands (or should i say knees) of the reem

dream

I wish Dana would just stop airing prelims. They make me angry and I only watch them out of a deep-seated self-loathing thing I have going on because of all the fucking prelims I watch.

Maklershed said:
One of the last UFCs I've purchased (108 Evans vs Silva) was on January 2nd. Close!
why was that one of the last ones you purchased, out of curiosity?
dream said:
I wish Dana would just stop airing prelims. They make me angry and I only watch them out of a deep-seated self-loathing thing I have going on because of all the fucking prelims I watch.
Bendo vs. Guida says hi, also so do all the prelims from the last Versus card because they were great. UFC 129 too.

thirty said:
Dana must be on cocaine. it's all happening too fast.
Agreed Dana is going crazy. First they were gonna have an event on ox, then it was going to be an hour now it is only one fight. Great. And dana, you'll peak in business if your deciding factor is if your in the driver seat or not. And they should keep Strikeforce around to prevent UFC saturation, which is already happening.

yacobod

Banned
dream said:

i concur. the 2 spike prelim fights are usually good, but the facebook prelims are usually like bellator or japmma quality. i got suckered into watching the prelims this past ppv for some reason. immediately regretted it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yacobod said:
i concur. the 2 spike prelim fights are usually good, but the facebook prelims are usually like bellator or japmma quality. i got suckered into watching the prelims this past ppv for some reason. immediately regretted it.
a lot of the recent cards have many main card fights that are "bellator quality" (and usually way more boring tbh)

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
The latest Fight Night prelims had that newcomer beating up Matt Riddle. That was a great fight.

Like Astro said, so many main card fights have been non-UFC level. I can't remember the last Heavyweight fight that was good. Maybe Schaub getting knocked out?

Heel

@DanHerbertson - Akiyama has lost the weight required for his drop down to welterweight. Lost 33lbs in one month. Said the last 12lbs were quite hard. This was just to make sure he could do it but Akiyama says he isn't sure how much weight he will put back on.

o04800640115876093724fdvl.jpg
QYIdL.jpg

Heel

Just watched TUF. Finale prediction:

Dodson vs. Dillashaw
Bermudez vs. Caraway

Brandao hype train gets derailed.

pr0cs

I really think Brock is a bad matchup for Megareem. If the Reem fights like he did against Werdum with Brock I really don't see the night ending well for him.
Don't get me wrong I think it's reasonable to make Overeem the favorite considering all the stuff Brock has gone through over the last year but I really think it's a bad matchup for him if Brock comes in shape and sticks to a GnP type gameplan.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
sien916 said:
Just watched TUF. Finale prediction:

Dodson vs. Dillashaw
Bermudez vs. Caraway

Brandao hype train gets derailed.
That Bantamweight fight is legitimately something I want to see. First time I can say that about a TUF finale.

yacobod

Banned
Maklershed said:
I'm no cheapskate but I just can't abide putting out $45/$55 for 2 hours of TV entertainment.

I don't blame you. In the past year I've transitioned from watching the fights at bars to ordering them at home. I have buyers remorse after most cards to be honest. Very few, if any of the cards actually live up to the hype or to the price tag. It's pretty retarded that they still charge $10 extra for HD when it's pretty much the standard defacto feed at this point.

The last decent card from top to bottom I can think of was the Maynard/Edgar card, but prior to that it was disappointment after disappointment.

Heel

A lot happening on the Japan front in the last 24 hours.

DREAM teams with Inoki for New Year's Eve

-The Real Entertainment side of DREAM (former PRIDE FC employees) says FEG is out of the NYE event due to their financial situation.
-Now partnering with IGF for the NYE event, Antonio Inoki's wrestling promotion.
-20 fight card including MMA, kickboxing, and WMMA.
-Focus will be on heavyweights (IGF has contracts with Le Banner, Aerts, Sefo etc.)

Victor Cui, CEO of ONE FC: "Fans can expect some exciting news soon for a ONE FC-DREAM FC partnership."

Details on FIKA (Federation International K-1 Association) Begin to Trickle Out; A New K-1

-K-1 now 60% owned by a Chinese investment group
-Bas Boon is somehow involved, was on stage with Semmy Schilt

K-1 WGP 2012 will be a World Cup style tournament:
3 Tournaments: 63kg, 70kg and 95kg
Qualifying tournaments in 32 different countries
The 32 winners from each country and weight class will participate in a tournament throughout the year

Sounds amazing, but it's an extremely ambitious undertaking for a company that was under water for so long. I guess K-1's founder Ishii had been wanting to do this for some time now and finally has the backing to do it. Hopefully the new ownership will build some good will and pay FEG's debts with fighters...

Heel

'UFC Primetime: Velasquez vs. Don Santos' ratings: 1.3 HH rating, two million viewers

UFC Primetime: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos (UFC on FOX): 2,000,000 viewers
UFC Primetime: Rampage vs. Evans" (UFC 114): 1,200,000 viewers
UFC Primetime: St-Pierre vs. Hardy" (UFC 111): 1,000,000 viewers
UFC Primetime: Lesnar vs. Velasquez" (UFC 121): 974,000 viewers
UFC Primetime: St-Pierre vs. Penn II" (UFC 94): 880,000 viewers
UFC Primetime: St-Pierre vs. Shields" (UFC 129): 610,000 viewers

TheNatural

My Member!
Chamber said:
Save us, Brock!

That's not a bad number for a depleted throwaway PPV. Especially if you compare it to boxing and wrestling. Outside of Wrestlemania, Pacman, and Mayweather fights - it's still better than everything else. The Hopkins-Dawson fight a few weeks ago supposedly didn't even break 100K.

sien916 said:
A lot happening on the Japan front in the last 24 hours.

DREAM teams with Inoki for New Year's Eve

-The Real Entertainment side of DREAM (former PRIDE FC employees) says FEG is out of the NYE event due to their financial situation.
-Now partnering with IGF for the NYE event, Antonio Inoki's wrestling promotion.
-20 fight card including MMA, kickboxing, and WMMA.
-Focus will be on heavyweights (IGF has contracts with Le Banner, Aerts, Sefo etc.)
HYPE

And it'll come on just a couple hourse after Lesnar/Overeem ends..

*stocks up on red bull*

yacobod said:
I don't blame you. In the past year I've transitioned from watching the fights at bars to ordering them at home. I have buyers remorse after most cards to be honest. Very few, if any of the cards actually live up to the hype or to the price tag. It's pretty retarded that they still charge $10 extra for HD when it's pretty much the standard defacto feed at this point.

The last decent card from top to bottom I can think of was the Maynard/Edgar card, but prior to that it was disappointment after disappointment.
Good thing you didn't pay for Mayweather/Ortiz or Hopkins/Pascal (I'm assuming). I bought a ticket and attended the latter, I felt like I got IRL trolled.

TheNatural

My Member!
Dana getting trolled lately. His mom talking shit about him for her book, and this from good ole Frank Shamrock:

@frankshamrock
Frank Shamrock

@danawhite real men fight their own battles. I watched you beat up a girl and celebrate. Swick knows the truth and so do I. Anytime bro.

LOL @ the MMA world and internet beefs. More crazy and entertaining than the scripted ones in WWE.

Boogie

polyh3dron said:
Bendo vs. Guida says hi, also so do all the prelims from the last Versus card because they were great. UFC 129 too.

Was live at 129, and every fight that night was awesome, so ya.

except the main event. :p

yacobod said:
dropping down to lose in a more competitive weight division.

shame we never got to see how Nate would have fared at WW.

Chamber said:
Save us, Brock!

Chamber, my friend, you mis-spelled GSP. ;)

but seriously, Saturday before Halloween? That shit would have only done 600k even WITH GSP

yacobod said:
Cesar Gracie Makes Formal Offer to Unite Team Penn & Team Gracie Into One Fight Team/Alliance! Link from BJPenn.com here.

The biggest jackasses in MMA united in one camp? All the more efficient for me to hate on them...

Rafa=FedKilla said:
That g4 chick wrote that? And why doesn't it have colors?
That's what I thought when I saw the preview but it didn't bother me at all when reading it last night. The art looks shittier in the bright glare of a monitor. It's a good story, definitely hooked in for the 2nd issue.

Top Bottom