• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
q9NLu.gif

Call that mother fucker out!

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
That Dante is alright. All he wants to do is eat sundaes after casually dispatching some demons and he's a terrible gambler.

The UFC usually does a lot of hyperbole in their promo (we've had how many biggest fight in UFC history already in just the past couple years alone?), but this really is a superfight. I thought Frankie drew with Bendo in their second fight (but he did lose the first) and he's still a top 3 LW.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Frankie is going to decision win the FW belt.

I got a strong feeling Joesay Aldo's conditioning won't keep up and Frankie has enough experience and heart to survive the early onslaught.

TheChits

A lot of it depends on Frankie's transition to 145. I imagine it will go pretty well since he still won't be cutting much weight. If he can keep his speed up and cardio intact I'm pretty sure that he can wear Aldo down and decision him or get a late tko.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
A lot of it depends on Frankie's transition to 145. I imagine it will go pretty well since he still won't be cutting much weight. If he can keep his speed up and cardio intact I'm pretty sure that he can wear Aldo down and decision him or get a late tko.

I agree with Chits here. Some of you cats need to stop pretending Edgar is Chad Mendes.

ShaneB

It is a fairly different movie than I was expecting though.
I was expecting more focus on the idea that it would be this sort of courtroom/legal drama based on if Denzel's character is a hero based on his actions/circumstances which is sorta there, but it's more the side story and the film turns more into a movie about alcoholism/addiction.
Still pretty terrific though.

Also 'Ready Player One' is awesome. I know a book has got me when I bring it to work to read it, really having a lot of fun reading this.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I see Edgar winning the fight
for the interim title against Chad Mendes due to Aldo being injured.

It is a fairly different movie than I was expecting though.
I was expecting more focus on the idea that it would be this sort of courtroom/legal drama based on if Denzel's character is a hero based on his actions/circumstances which is sorta there, but it's more the side story and the film turns more into a movie about alcoholism/addiction.
Still pretty terrific though.

Also 'Ready Player One' is awesome. I know a book has got me when I bring it to work to read it, really having a lot of fun reading this.

Good to hear. I've been meaning to get to it but my book backlog is insane. Even more so than my gaming backlog.

ShaneB

Good to hear. I've been meaning to get to it but my book backlog is insane. Even more so than my gaming backlog.

I know i'll be reading a lot more this year since I got the eReader, but man, I am getting annoyed as hell with some of the drm stuff going on. I want to pay for books that I know I'll read, but I'm already getting confused with what I own and where it all is. Ah well.

MjFrancis

That Sakuraba gif is something else. Who is the poor sap with a knee up his face?

Jose Aldo v. Frankie Edgar has the potential to be awesome. Like bone_and_sinew mentioned, this thing is going to be an actual superfight. And for Jose Aldo, probably his toughest opponent ever. Also is head and shoulders above the competition at FW but Edgar is ridiculously good at LW and will more than likely bring that level of competition to FW.

I wouldn't doubt Edgar or Aldo getting an immediate rematch either, unless one of them gets knocked out. It's hard to predict, too - I could see Edgar getting KO'd early on or Aldo getting TKO'd in the championship rounds. If it goes to decision it will probably be close, like his decision with Maynard and his fights with Smooth.

I know i'll be reading a lot more this year since I got the eReader, but man, I am getting annoyed as hell with some of the drm stuff going on. I want to pay for books that I know I'll read, but I'm already getting confused with what I own and where it all is. Ah well.

Two words friend: Kindle Paperwhite

Excellent device and keeps all your books in a cloud.

ShaneB

Two words friend: Kindle Paperwhite

Excellent device and keeps all your books in a cloud.

I got a Kobo Touch for Christmas. It's certainly a great little device and I love it, but the kobo store is god awful from what I see and I am definitely more a fan of Amazon. But ah well. The Kobo certainly made me realize what I've been missing with having an eReader finally.

I thought Frankie won both fights :0 If Bendo never hit that up kick than Frankie would have still been the champ and I say this on neutral ground. Frankie easily controlled both fights. Watched them both twice.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
My first run stone slab copy of the 10 commandments is getting hard to carry around with me. I prefer this digital age.

Ive considered getting a kindle for a while now. I realize how little i read just cause i cant make it out to a bookstore

ShaneB

Ive considered getting a kindle for a while now. I realize how little i read just cause i cant make it out to a bookstore

I think I was finally just getting tired of having stacks of books around, much like I don't care to have a stack of games around anymore. I love to read, and it's definitely made it a much more pleasant experience. Really glad I was gifted one, like I said, didn't know how much I wanted one until I did start reading with it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Benderson/Edgar II was a Machida/Shogun level robbery. That was the day I secretly abandoned MMA and joined McKayla-GAF.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Finally caught up with the thread and the latest UFC (without spoiling myself). Amazed that Dos Cantos hung in there the entire fight. Guess Cain's pillow fists was back, or Junior has a hell of a chin. Also looks like Dos Santos put on a ton of muscle, and might have lost some speed and stamina on account of it.

Other than that I ffw thru everything but the Miller vs Lauzon, which was great.

bone_and_sinew

Maybe you can ask him why!

I think it was Uncle Dana who said during a media scrum that the Eddie Alvarez situation was about to get ugly.

I like what Bellator does for MMA, I really do, but their whole exclusive matching period shit is fucking awful and just as if not more anti-employee's rights than anything the UFC ever done. They always make it into an ugly protracted legal process that keeps the fighter in limbo until it's resolved, except with Lombfraud when the UFC simply overpaid and Bellator couldn't make it ugly.

Benderson/Edgar II was a Machida/Shogun level robbery. That was the day I secretly abandoned MMA and joined McKayla-GAF.
I wouldn't go that far. It was a really close fight. Like I said earlier, I thought it was a draw but I'm secretly glad it wasn't scored that way because that would've meant ANOTHER rematch and 155 in limbo.

Oh no Eddie Alvarez making mma headlines? That means we'll be subject to seeing a million pictures of him sticking his tongue out over the next few days. I mean serioiusly .. does the guy not allowed himself to be photographed without sticking his tongue out?

bone_and_sinew

Oh no Eddie Alvarez making mma headlines? That means we'll be subject to seeing a million pictures of him sticking his tongue out over the next few days. I mean serioiusly .. does the guy not allowed himself to be photographed without sticking his tongue out?
I've always liked that his sherdog fightfinder profile pic is him looking super sharp

20090130081919_eddiealvarez.JPG

bone_and_sinew

Apparently they are suing him for denying that their offer was equal to the UFC's. That is fucked up
I know it's "lol bleacher report" but there actual quotes here:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-did-not-match-ufcs-offer-and-is-now-suing-me

Eddie Alvarez said:
We don't believe [the UFC contract offer] was matched at all. I want to give details, but we're in the middle of a lawsuit...We went to a settlement meeting maybe a couple days ago...and I was sued 30 minutes after that meeting was over. So there's some tension in the air. I'm trying not to get too frustrated in the meantime.

It's like one guy has the intention to take me to a fine restaurant and eat lobster, and the other guy wants to take me to McDonald's. The second guy thinks dinner is dinner. But the two things are very different...A match in my book is if one promotion pays me $10, then the other promotion would pay me $10. But that's not what happened.

I'm not 100 percent sure what the lawsuit is for. To us, it's pretty plain and simple. If this goes before anybody in court, they're going to see really fast that this is not a match.

I'm disappointed. I gave a lot of my life to Bellator, and I've let them know how I feel, and I don't get much back in return...It's awful.

Let him bang, Bjorn.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Edgar vs Alvarez would be fun. That would only happen if Edgar lost to Aldo and whether he intends on fighting at 155 after that.

bone_and_sinew

Most pro wrestlers these days are lacking in charisma their damn self.
Dana doesn't want guys to be charismatic. He even said so himself, that he dislikes crazy entrances, that it should be serious. He let the luchador mask slide because "that means something to Mexicans" or something.

Top Bottom