• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your dream game?

I feel like everyone has an idea for a videogame that they'd love to play buried deep in the back of their skull, what's yours? Even if it's impossible or unfeasible, I wanna hear the games you've always wanted to play. Like they say, everyone's an idea guy.

Mine would have to be a fusion between a VN and an arcade racer. Story driven, with characters that develop throughout the game instead of faceless AI opponents, with racing styles and vehicles that match their motivations, background, and personality. The game isn't necessarily about winning, so much as being a part of a community and all that comes with it. Think something like the gameplay flow of Ridge Racer 4 with the handling of Wipeout, VN segments in between races similar to VA-11 Hall-A or R4's campaign mode (but more dense), and the mix of gameplay and story found in games like Initial D or Wangan Midnight. Races would serve a story purpose instead of just being another step towards a trophy, and racers would react to events during races similar to the latter games I mentioned. Depending on where you place and how you play, the story will change; along with how your opponents and allies view you. The soundtrack would be the shit, obviously. Lots of fast paced old-school trance, techno, garage, jungle, footwork, and drum and bass.

The story would revolve around youngsters who participate in a dangerous illegal DIY hoverbike racing scene, seeking escape from an increasingly oppressive dystopian world. So the bike scenes from Akira, basically; but on poorly built, weaponized hoverbikes. The main story arc would deal with a recent push by some head representatives to "legitimize" the sport and make it a worldwide phenomenon. While this would make things safer and build opportunity, fame, and income for top racers, many argue it would crush the burgeoning yet tightly-knit scene that made these races such an appealing form of escape for many of its participants, a majority of whom are in poverty if not homeless, and are essentially employed through the sport (whether it's through sly gambling, dealing and smuggling parts, risking serious injury or death while racing, or learning how to repair and customize hoverbikes on their own.) On the other hand, some believe it may be the only way to preserve the sport in light of increasing controversy revolving around government crackdowns on illegal street racing, weapons dealing, and gambling, which in a way have served to make the sport even more dangerous and extreme.

Can you and your crew of underdogs make it to the top? What lengths will you go to find your place in the world of illegal hoverbike racing? Will the community flourish or crumble under the spotlight and the scrutiny that comes with it? Is insularity worth defending in the face of adversity? To what extent? And where do all these weapons come from, anyways?

A game like this probably won't ever come out due to the death of the arcade racer and a move away from story driven games with arcade mechanics, but maybe something similar will pop up in the indie scene sometime. Till then, it's nice to dream. What about you guys? Also, feel free to recommend other posters games you think they would be into based on their dream game. I'd really like to see some of that.

Coxy100

Banned
Robin Hood - can't believe no one has made a good Robin Hood game.

I'm from Nottingham so maybe that's why it's my dream game.

ultra7k

Robin Hood - can't believe no one has made a good Robin Hood game.

I'm from Nottingham so maybe that's why it's my dream game.

Conquests of the Longbow (old Sierra point and click) was probably the best Robin Hood game I've played, don't think any other game really matches the Robin Hood experience.

N° 2048

No Man's Sky + Destiny + Fallout feeling of exploring + something that gives me Dark Souls combat feeling.

edit: on PS4/PS4-Pro

No Man's Sky + Destiny + Fallout feeling of exploring + something that gives me Dark Souls combat feeling.
You ever try EVE Online? Definitely not in the same realm gameplay-wise, and it isn't for everyone, but it might give you some of the feeling you're looking for.

mcz117chief

Persistent universe 1st person action game. For example Halo 1-3 universe where you start on Harvest and you are given the option to travel around the UNSC territory fighting in all the battles that happened in the lore, as a soldier, medic, Spartan, fighter pilot, ship captain, whatever you want.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Lovecraftian sci-fi Dark Souls. Ancient alien ruins, laser swords, trippy fucked up aliens to fight. It could be amazing.

AAA quality Spider-Man game set in the 90s animated series.

An original Kingdom Hearts game on Vita.

A true sequel to FFXII for PS4.

A worthy successor to Virtue's Last Reward.

It hurts. It hurts so bad.

Lovecraftian sci-fi Dark Souls. Ancient alien ruins, laser swords, trippy fucked up aliens to fight. It could be amazing.

Not much of a Dark Souls person save for the setting and lore, but holy hell that would be awesome

Persona 5 PC (or
Vita
)
N E V E R
E V E R

Middle Earth RPG that has the rights to everything and not just the small subset of stories/characters directly pertaining to the battle of the Ring. (Fuck off Chris Tolkien)

Also, a Formula 1 game that isn't made by Codemasters.

PGR5

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Medieval merchant supply chain simulator.
Yes, i know.

A stealth-action game set in a sci-fi setting in the very far future with alien worlds, hubs, multiple factions, and so on with expansive non-linear missions. Players can use tools, powers, weapons and complete the missions whatever ways they see fit.

Kinda like of a sci-fi Dishonored, if I wanna make it clear

A Final Fight and Streets of Rage beat-em-up crossover in the vain of Battletoads and Double Dragon. With stuff like Project X Zone 2 in particular having Capcom characters such as Ryu, Ken etc. meet Axel from Streets of Rage, why not have Haggar and crew meet Axel and his crew.

My game that I've wanted to make for ten plus years now. I don't have the money and all the skills needed. I'm a skilled writer and I just learned how to produce music, but when it comes to programming and animation I'm terrible at them, programming in particular that I've been trying to learn since 09.

A lot of stuff going on in my life where I'm not sure what task I should be doing at the moment. I hope I can get a better paying job so I can get one thing out the way and save money aside to open that studio so I can make this game come true. There are certain projects I can do on my own, but a game on the detail that I want it I know for sure I cannot do on my own.

I'd play it.

Medieval merchant supply chain simulator.
Yes, i know.
It's anime as fuck, but check out Recettear.

A stealth-action game set in a sci-fi setting in the very far future with alien worlds, hubs, multiple factions, and so on with expansive non-linear missions. Players can use tools, powers, weapons and complete the missions whatever ways they see fit.

Kinda like of a sci-fi Dishonored, if I wanna make it clear
RIP Prey 2

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sleeping Dogs kind of was my dream game. Crime focused martial arts movie in an open world Hong Kong. A sequel would now be my dream game.

My dream game is pretty much Gundam Breaker 3. It's a dream come true for mecha fans and the only thing that would make it better is space battles.

Eggbok

dreams-ps4-logo-artwork-screenshot.jpg

Dreams is literally my dream game. Being able to make whatever I want is something I've always wanted. This game existing is a dream come true, I can't wait for that beta to drop and the game as well.

Aters

Blade Runner: the game.
Not an RPG, but an action game with solid shooting mechanics. The game doesn't try too hard to be "futuristic".

liquidtmd

Banned
Honestly if every aspect of Resident Evil 2 in Remake 2 is given the same level of love and attention Resident Evil 1 got in Remake 1, with the same mentality driving it from a design point of view and it being current gen only, then that would be my absolute dream game.

I speedrun Remake 1 and Resident Evil 2 twice a year and have done for a decade.

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Actual Definitive Edition

Otherwise I'm hoping Spider-Man PS4 is the Spider-Man game I've always wanted.

Sleeping Dogs kind of was my dream game. Crime focused martial arts movie in an open world Hong Kong. A sequel would now be my dream game.

Doesn't take place in Hong Kong, but check out the Yakuza series. I've been going back and playing it to catch up for Yakuza 0, and it has pretty similar vibes.

JaseMath

I make jokes about it, but I'm serious—Star Tropics from Retro. Especially now that Uncharted is wrapped up, Nintendo has an opportunity to capture the third person action/adventure crown. The sci-fi elements of Star Tropics are icing on the cake and who can revive a series and do sci-fi better than Retro?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
A game mainly about some mercenary working for an eco terrorist group and it all goes to hell one day. Then some girl joins the party who later appears to be an ancient with special powers of some sort. And then we have this cool, long haired silver dude who is interested in said girl. And shit goes all the way crazy from there.

All of the above, in fucking generation 8 HD graphics.

Top Bottom