• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your dream game?

Neff

Sega and Namco get together to make the ultimate Star Wars arcade game based around action scenes from I-VI.

Then they port it to consoles.

Rambler

A tactical shooter where you fight monsters instead of terrorists.

The gameplay of Rainbow 6 Raven Shield mixed with the setting of XCOM.

Blurry15

From Software presents mainline Castlevania.

Bloodborne showed me how they could handle the themes well so yeah FromSoftVania

JZA

Some kind of mashup of the Aliens vs. Predator franchise, but with a more open-world version of the Division. i.e., you're roaming around on Earth with the last Colonial Marine remnants, and Predators are openly hunting aliens and whoever else is around on the streets.

Tarahiro

Well my favourite game is Azure Dreams.

So my dream game would be like that... In the way that you have the town and can do things within the town then also fight in the tower but i would expand on it by having character creation and gender choice, good romances (not just straight ones), more areas to explore and more to do within the town such as more stuff to build, more interactivity, more helping the villagers etc...

VR RPG ala Fallout but the catch is you talk to the NPCs directly into a mic, you don't chose from a predefined set of questions. The system has to be so advanced that an insane range of possible questions and answers are accounted for so that when you talk nonsense the NPC will not understand you and asks you to elaborate or will think you are weird and maybe crazy instead of just not reacting or having a cop out standard answer.

This goes so far that you can talk to enemies in battle and maybe can talk them into surrender or backing off. Your neighbors are going to call the cops on you!

YaBish

Open-World Pro Basketball Immersive Sim. With multiple locations, deep branching choices, and a GREAT story.
Also mix in a nice layering of the simulation side of the 2K franchise, without all the F2P guff.

A really good Espionage RPG set in present/close future, made by Bioware. So the normal assemble a team and stop the world-ending threat type thing.

Would be cool to be able to sit back and coordinate the mission in real time, or play the agent on the ground.

I guess Splinter Cell if it was made by Bioware.

Speely

Banned
A rhythm fighting game where each fighter has their own musical genre and dance style. Matches start as chiptunes, but the better a fighter does the more tracks from their genres are mixed in, providing for a dynamic mix of different genres within the overall framework of a set chord progression and general arrangement. All attacks, blocks, and evades are dance moves which players may improvise with so long as they maintain their rhythm with those moves via the prompts. Failure to do so lowers your tracks in the mix, and when an opponent commands the mix, they score much higher during that time. Successfully hitting opponents increases your genre in the mix considerably. Matches end when the song is over, and the player whose score is higher, as calculated by how much and how high they were in the mix, wins.

Initial release ~110 BPM, with DLC for 128 and 140 to follow as players become better able to handle faster and faster gameplay. Genres adapt to this loosely, so Hip-Hop at 110 BPM would probably become Trap at 140 (half-time,) etc.

Licensed artists would create their takes on a song's chord structure and arrangement, and the main audio engineer would master all tracks to ensure mix compatibility. New variations on songs and new dance-fighters could be introduced regularly as cross-promotional deals.

Includes a freestyle mode where players can create a custom mix, then save it and modify it further via an editor, then share it with the community. Additionally, a player may choose to save the mix AND moves from any match they play and edit this save in a photo-mode-style editor to create videos.

Honestly if every aspect of Resident Evil 2 in Remake 2 is given the same level of love and attention Resident Evil 1 got in Remake 1, with the same mentality driving it from a design point of view and it being current gen only, then that would be my absolute dream game.

I speedrun Remake 1 and Resident Evil 2 twice a year and have done for a decade.

This and a proper MGS1 remake.

A cyberpunk-noir detective adventure by Naughty Dog, less action-focused than something like Uncharted but rather slower-paced, with an inventory, puzzles and lots of NPCs to chat to. Major influence taken from Shenmue and Broken Sword. Lots of emphasis on atmosphere with fixed-camera angles by the boatload.

And don't make it open world.

A game mainly about some mercenary working for an eco terrorist group and it all goes to hell one day. Then some girl joins the party who later appears to be an ancient with special powers of some sort. And then we have this cool, long haired silver dude who is interested in said girl. And shit goes all the way crazy from there.

All of the above, in fucking generation 8 HD graphics.

DMC x Bayonetta x MGR?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
VR Bushido Blade and Jumping Flash.

Also isometric scrolling moon patrol with twin stick controls.

liquidtmd

Banned
This and a proper MGS1 remake.

See I thought about MGS1 and it's one of my greatest of all time, but I don't believe a remake would successfully capture the nuances I loved about it.

Even if Kojima was still at Konami, Metal Gear enthused and they approached it ground up with the Fox Engine, I don't think it would capture the spirit of the first game. The ticking clock narrative, the playground enclosure of Shadow Moses, the Ten Little Indians takedown of the crew, the quirky English voiceovers lead by a not yet gruff parody Hayter.

Twin Snakes despite not being by Kojima and me actually quite appreciating it made me realise that nailing what MGS1 special is very elusive and probably not remakeable. If made today I imagine Kojima wouldn't want to make it as linear.

1)
A Godzilla/Pacific Rim-inspired RTS
It would be an asymmetrical RTS: your military forces against a single kaiju, a single overwhelming foe against the larger but comparatively weaker military force. You must hold back and defeat massive kaiju while simulateously evacuating cities and researching new technology and defenses.
Rather than the usual offensive focus of most RTS's, here the gameplay would be more defensive: working to slow down and redirect the encroaching beasts, counter their increasingly devastating abilities, and manage your smaller weaker military forces while you gather enough funds and materials to construct powerful mechs strong enough to combat the kaiju. Your main goals, besides defeating the monsters, would be limiting civilian causalities and property damage. That's where the evacuation mechanics come into play. Choosing which areas to evacuate, where to direct citizens, how long those plans will take are linked to the military and defense tactics since you'd want to direct kaijus towards cleared areas and away from civilians.
Different kaiju would dictate your strategies and focus. Some may be aerial. Others attack from the water or burrow underground. Some may be fast but weak or large and slow or equipped with devstating abilities like EMPs, thermal blasts, regeneration, etc

2)
A procedurally generated survival horror mystery inspired by The Thing
The core premise would revolve around five NPCs and the player in a secluded research base, where an alien presence has infiltrated and lurks. Like The Thing, the alien can assume the form of any NPC, and you must use clues and observation to discover who is human and who isn't. Through various means, you must find and kill the creature, but your actions and right or wrong choices would affect everyone's behaviors and moral, resulting in paranoia and violence.
How you would discover the alien would probably be akin to mix of Spy Party and Heavy Rain. Observing NPC behaviors throughout the days, learning their routines, watching for changes or weird acts, looking for clues in their rooms while they're somewhere else. However gameplay would be more than just observation; as your numbers dwindle and tension and distrust rises, you may need to take drastic measures to eradicate the threat or protect yourself from dangerous paranoid NPCs

3)
A story-driven Metroidvania aboard a generation ship
Gameplay wise, it would be a Metroidvania-style story driven sci-fi game focused on exploration and discovery, with a tone and atmosphere inspired by movies like Pandora and Moon. Each playthrough, the player would awaken as a new randomly generated character, and you only have one goal: travel to the control room, check the ship logs, perform a diagnostic scan, and then return to your stasis pod. Complete that and your playthrough is over. You only have a limited time to complete this task before a biological failsafe kicks in and you black out
But it's not that simple. There's an entire sprawling ship to explore, and as you explore, your maps is filled in. Leave it behind for the next awakee to find before you black out, and the next person would be able to retrieve the map from the spot where you fainted
Exploring the ship would reveal a number of different stories, from the reasons of why we left Earth to the darker mysteries of the generation ship...like why exactly are you programmed to black out. There may even be random events that pop after certain intervals, like another stasis pod opened and empty, or the diagnostic scans detecting a foreign presence onboard the ship.

See I thought about MGS1 and it's one of my greatest of all time, but I don't believe a remake would successfully capture the nuances I loved about it.

Even if Kojima was still at Konami, Metal Gear enthused and they approached it ground up with the Fox Engine, I don't think it would capture the spirit of the first game. The ticking clock narrative, the playground enclosure of Shadow Moses, the Ten Little Indians takedown of the crew, the quirky English voiceovers lead by a not yet gruff parody Hayter.

Twin Snakes despite not being by Kojima and me actually quite appreciating it made me realise that nailing what MGS1 special is very elusive and probably not remakeable. If made today I imagine Kojima wouldn't want to make it as linear.

Yeah that's why it's a "dream game." It's probably impossible to nail it exactly as you'd want it, the same with RE2make.

• Escape From New York w/ Red Dead Redmption gameplay where each playthrough is a new 24 hour period to encourage replayability
  • Twisted Metal with Forza Horizon 3's engine
  • 3rd person Metroidvania of Big Trouble In Little China w/ Arkham style combat
  • Co-op MMO where you create your own superhero that has over-the-top action combat ala Platinum Games

A GI Joe game that mixes Marvel Heroes with Gears of War.
THIS. I would love to play a GI Joe game with massive battles where each character has their unique weapons/stats. Such a huge cast of characters to pull from and just going full on over-the-top action would be amazing.

liquidtmd

Banned
Yeah that's why it's a "dream game." It's probably impossible to nail it exactly as you'd want it, the same with RE2make.

Oh I agree ultimately if it's entirely a dream. A Fox Engine remake with the focus of MGS1 and hell just the original MGS1 vocal dub with some new lines peppered in.

I hope we get that One City Block immersive sim one day

I'd say a sci-fi cRPG, but between Whalenought's Copper Dreams and the generation ship RPG from the Age of Decadence devs, that is satisfied

Parfait

When i was younger, it was a Star Ocean MMO

Today, it's a Star Ocean MMO that's like black desert, many different races(not just humans with this or that) and the single character, all-class availablity of FFXIV.

Truly in my dreams only.

Roshin

A tactical shooter where you fight monsters instead of terrorists.

The gameplay of Rainbow 6 Raven Shield mixed with the setting of XCOM.

Hey, that's my idea too. :)

I want a deep, realistic SWAT-style game where you go up against monsters and supernatural creatures. You have no magic abilities, superpowers, or any such nonsense, just your gear and your tactics.

My dream RPG would combine (improved) versions of the following:

- The combat system, difficulty, PvE/PvP summoning/invasion system, and hitboxes of the Dark Souls series
- A rich open world full of great characters like The Witcher 3
- The modding community of the Elder Scrolls/Fallout series
- The charm and gorgeous art direction of Xenoblade Chronicles
- For even more replayability, a dungeon-crawler system like Diablo 3's rifts/greater rifts

It's a dream because I'm 99% sure it's completely impossible to mix all those things together in a cohesive way.

If I were to be a little more realistic, I'd just love an ambitious open world RPG like The Witcher 3/Skyrim, with the Dark Souls series' combat + summoning/invasion system.

BTW my dream platformer already exists:

Super_Mario_Galaxy_2_Box_Art.jpg

Perfection. You can't really ask for more in a game.

Begaria

Zelda-esque, but darker. And in the most insane artstyle on most powerful machine available :p

No fetch quests.

So Alundra or Darksiders then? Well, Darksiders did have that one fetch quest at the end I guess.

Mine would just straight up be a Matsuno led Vagrant Story 2 or Final Fantasy Tactics 2.

sora87

An open world.. open universe? space game with the vibes of Outlaw Star or Cowboy Bebop, going to different planets for bounties or other missions, a main story taking you through as well. Party members, mass effect style combat. Can customise and decorate your ship with rewards or things you buy with your bounty money.

My dream game would be a Resident Evil title starring that rookie cop dude from RE2, but with a dynamic 3rd person camera that zooms in to "over the shoulder" when shooting, and... Oh wait, my dream game has already been made. It's called Resident Evil 4.

So I'll go with my next choice, Capcom vs SNK 3:

- A huge roster including most (if not all) variations of Capcom and SNK characters
- On the Capcom side, include the Arika characters from Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha.
- "Groove" engine from CvS2, but with a better balance. In CvS2 the Capcom grooves (C and A, specifically) were fucking broken
- Sprites, get that 3D shit out of my face. I'll settle for whatever you call Guilty Gear Xrd ("simulated 2D?")
- Soundtracks from across the various franchises. If you choose a Street Fighter III-ish Groove version of Ryu, then you get his Street Fighter III music
- Have serious stuff for the competitors (character/groove balance, advanced strategies, etc)
- Have FUN stuff for the casuals (extra/story modes, galleries, dip switches, "anything goes" fighting modes, etc)
- Capcom-style 6-button scheme, or bust

That's all I could think about for now.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Smash Bros. Platformer.

Designed by Sakurai and styled after Kirby Super Star with a focus on Co-Op, play as Mario, Link, DK, Pikachu, Samus, Pit, Fox, and Kirby each with their own unique abilities.

Plot involves Crazy Hand gathering together a group of "baddies" to form a Nintendo League of Super Villains, with Bowser, Ganondorf, King K. Rool, Mewtwo, Ridley, Medusa, Wolf (working as a bounty hunter, nothing personal) and DeDeDe, the latter possessed by Hades making this a pseudo-sequel to KI: Uprising. Every villain has their own goal in mind with Bowser being the most straight-laced and "honest" villain, but everyone else plotting against the other. Ridley would basically act like a bird because that'd be funny. Master Hand in turn unites the heroes. No voice acting beyond grunts, except for both Hands narrating voiced by the Smash 4 announcer. Very light-hearted plot.

The biggest idea for this (and one that Nintendo Land, which came out after I envisioned this idea, did) is that it'd go with the classic Smash 64 toy-motif with every character resembling a toy, and the stages being recreations of classic Nintendo locales as if they were made out of models. For example a Corneria stage where the flying ships are clearly hung from strings, or Mario's World 1-1 made out of lego-like blocks. Likewise all the classic Nintendo music would have a remixed childish sound to them, such as played on an xylophone or hummed. Just a game to simulate a child playing with a bunch of Nintendo toys.

Javin98

Banned
I actually made a whole thread about my dream game a few months ago. Wall of text from that
thread incoming. You have been warned! :p

-Open world RPG

-530 sq. miles map

-Tropical island setting with jungles, swamps, grasslands, oceans, mountains

-Dynamic ecosystem with prey-predator interactions

-Over 35 species of wildlife, consisting of dinosaurs, Ice Age mammals and modern day animals

-Dynamic day and night cycle

-15 different tribes

-Several villages and towns of various sizes

-Complex dating system, leads to marriage

-10 bachelorette to choose from, each with different backgrounds and personalities

-Explore dungeons and mines for ores

-Dialogue system

-Combat system involving humans and animals

-1800's weapons, including swords, spears, bows and simple bombs

-Simple, yet effective crafting

-25 hours long main quest line

-60+ side quests, over 50 hours gameplay

-Mounting and taming system

-Form hunting parties

There are some other features I'm still planning out and will post if this thread gets enough replies. Criticism is more than welcome.

A bit of clarification on the genre:
It would be kinda hard to pinpoint the specific genre, since my scope seems to be encompassing several aspects from a few genres. Hell, the 'dynamic ecosystem' may as well spawn a new 'ecosystem simulator' genre entirely. But to simplify, I'd say by and large, it is an RPG more focused on action. Exploration is entirely up to the players.

More info on the tribes and bachelorettes:
I always pictured them as groups of people with different ethnics and economical lifestyles. For instance, one tribe who make their living of hunting animals are nomadic by nature and are typically temperamental. On the other hand, another tribe that trades materials with other tribes are wealthy and live in a massive city. As such, the personalities of the bachelorettes reflect the tribe they come from. I haven't thought of the story, but I've been thinking about rivalry among some of the tribes and it's up to the player character to quell it or pick a side.

As for the large theropods levelling the towns, I think it could work as a randomized event and the player will be notified when checking the bulletin board. This would then work as a side quest. The towns don't have to be fully destructible. Just as long as some random villagers are being tossed around and eaten, I think that will suffice. Anyway, if the player fails, the town and its villagers are desolated. In the grand scheme of things, the bachelorette will be unavailable and the tribe won't be involved in the main story line, in which they could be helpful or enemies.

More info on the ecosystem:
The 'dynamic ecosystem' bit is probably the most complicated and ambitious part, though. I always wanted a game where the animals react realistically like they would in the wild. I will describe another example to try and re-illustrate my point. A pack of raptors slowly stalk a lone bull mammoth. When they strike, they work in unity as a pack. Dynamic is probably not the right word to describe it. Basically, animal behavior in a living, breathing world as in real life.

Think of the past few Far Cry games. They have a fairly simple ecosystem with predators hunting prey and all. Well, imagine it taken to the next step. What if you have all that but further expanded? I would think of it as being part of a National Geographic documentary. You can watch as a Tyrannosaurus ambushes a pack of wooly mammoths for instance.

More info on the map and the chosen size:
However, the world of my dream project is very different from the world of The Witcher 3. The latter is mostly focused on the rural areas and large cities. The monsters are just sort of there for Geralt to do his thing. He is a monster slayer for hire after all. The monsters have no special place in the world. On the other hand, my project is filled with many species of wildlife and they all form a ecosystem. They are not there just for the sake of it, they are there to make the island feel like a wonderful but dangerous place to explore. I don't mean to be bringing up examples again, but if you watched King Kong, just imagine Skull Island which you can explore. If the world was considerably smaller, I feel it would diminish the immersion of being in a living, breathing world.

Exploration is entirely up to the players. There are many interesting places to find and each sector of the island is filled with species not found elsewhere. Take for example the Allosaurus. To avoid the larger predators, Allosaurus mostly resides in the jungle areas, where it uses ambush attacks on prey. However, players are not forced to explore the island if they choose not to with the exception of quests.

Think of Just Cause and its sandbox design, but this encompasses animals in a sandbox.

The villages are mostly basic wooden houses while only the large cities are brick structures.

More on the combat and weapons:
As for guns, remember that the tribes are isolated from the rest of the world, so their technology is primitive.

As for the combat, my vision is more melee focused. Different weapons have different attributes and are more effective against certain enemies. Swords hit hard and fast but axe hit harder but slower. Bows are handy to kill smaller prey from range and are the only logical way to bring down a Tyrannosaurus aside from spears and bombs.

More info on hunting parties:
Hunting parties are formed to take down animals which are otherwise too difficult to take down on your own. Examples would be large theropods like Tyrannosaurus and Spinosaurus or the huge sauropods like Brachiosaurus. Before other members will agree to even join, they will request for a significant amount of the cut. You are then given the choice to agree if you find it reasonable or bargain if you find it outrageous. Why risk their lives you ask? Well, meat and hide can be used for food or sold to merchants for a high price. That's how one of the tribes, the hunting tribe live.

Why risk your life and others for meat and hide? Well, meat and hide can be sold to merchants in towns and villages for money. In turn, money can be used to purchase higher grade weapons and clothing. On the other hand, meat can be used as a source of food for healing and hide can be used for crafting.

Top Bottom