• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your dream game?

A new offline Phantasy Star with:

classic PS setting, with multiple explorable planets, each with its level of civilization.

Each planet should be open world and encourage exploration

Dungeons filled with puzzles, interconnected worlds (a key or item found on planet A, could help to solve a puzzle in planet B).

Sidestories and sidequests

Turn based combat

Nyx

A crime/mobster RPG in the 70s, by Bethesda.

Or a G1 Transformers fighting game, by Arc System Works.

NoKisum

An Open World Co-Op Optional (but encouraged) Action RPG (still surprised one hasn't been done)

A Rhythm Influenced Turn Based RPG

Sande

A New Vegas sequel that improves on its predecessor in every aspect. If I got a modern Fallout that fully realises the enormous potential, I pretty much would never need another game.

Mount & Blade without the jank and horrible sieges. Bannerlord seems to be headed in the right direction.

Red Dead 3. Just Red Dead 3.

A fully featured, PS4 WipEout. I love that franchise so much that I actually wouldn't mind what direction they would take it in. Would love to see human crews doing last minute docking-bay tweaks on the ships before a race starts; something like that is just window dressing but would blow me away.

missile

A fully featured, PS4 WipEout. I love that franchise so much that I actually wouldn't mind what direction they would take it in. Would love to see human crews doing last minute docking-bay tweaks on the ships before a race starts; something like that is just window dressing but would blow me away.

An open-city sci-fi racer that mashed San Francisco Rush 2049 with Hydro Thunder, Midtown Madness, and Sonic All Star Racing Transformed into a giant ball of multiplayer racing up the side of skyscrapers, flying through lazers, powerboating through giant acquaria, and looping, boosting and spinning around a ridiculously OTT sci-fi metropolis with spaceships looping around crystal pyramids and portals and neon streets. Plus battle races.

Uhh, I agree!

missile

^ xD :+

I feel like everyone has an idea for a videogame that they'd love to play buried deep in the back of their skull, what's yours? Even if it's impossible or unfeasible, I wanna hear the games you've always wanted to play. Like they say, everyone's an idea guy.

Mine would have to be a fusion between a VN and an arcade racer. Story driven, with characters that develop throughout the game instead of faceless AI opponents, with racing styles and vehicles that match their motivations, background, and personality. The game isn't necessarily about winning, so much as being a part of a community and all that comes with it. Think something like the gameplay flow of Ridge Racer 4 with the handling of Wipeout, VN segments in between races similar to VA-11 Hall-A or R4's campaign mode (but more dense), and the mix of gameplay and story found in games like Initial D or Wangan Midnight. Races would serve a story purpose instead of just being another step towards a trophy, and racers would react to events during races similar to the latter games I mentioned. Depending on where you place and how you play, the story will change; along with how your opponents and allies view you. The soundtrack would be the shit, obviously. Lots of fast paced old-school trance, techno, garage, jungle, footwork, and drum and bass.

The story would revolve around youngsters who participate in a dangerous illegal DIY hoverbike racing scene, seeking escape from an increasingly oppressive dystopian world. So the bike scenes from Akira, basically; but on poorly built, weaponized hoverbikes. The main story arc would deal with a recent push by some head representatives to "legitimize" the sport and make it a worldwide phenomenon. While this would make things safer and build opportunity, fame, and income for top racers, many argue it would crush the burgeoning yet tightly-knit scene that made these races such an appealing form of escape for many of its participants, a majority of whom are in poverty if not homeless, and are essentially employed through the sport (whether it's through sly gambling, dealing and smuggling parts, risking serious injury or death while racing, or learning how to repair and customize hoverbikes on their own.) On the other hand, some believe it may be the only way to preserve the sport in light of increasing controversy revolving around government crackdowns on illegal street racing, weapons dealing, and gambling, which in a way have served to make the sport even more dangerous and extreme.

Can you and your crew of underdogs make it to the top? What lengths will you go to find your place in the world of illegal hoverbike racing? Will the community flourish or crumble under the spotlight and the scrutiny that comes with it? Is insularity worth defending in the face of adversity? To what extent? And where do all these weapons come from, anyways?

A game like this probably won't ever come out due to the death of the arcade racer and a move away from story driven games with arcade mechanics, but maybe something similar will pop up in the indie scene sometime. Till then, it's nice to dream. What about you guys? Also, feel free to recommend other posters games you think they would be into based on their dream game. I'd really like to see some of that.
That's what I've in my mind as well. Man, let's do this! I'm a programmer.
Have you any profession working towards such a game as well?

Somekind of MoH:AA Redux-type game. WWII-era shooter done with contemporary/next-gen tech

With BF1 undoubtedly being a success, I could see DICE taking the logical step forward to revisiting WWII. Although I can see how that gameplay mightn't be what you're looking for.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Lost Kingdoms 3 taking some elements from Dark Souls. Attacks run out unless you got restore cards or go to the bonfire like item to recharge. More aggro enemies and invasion element of characters from other kingdoms that are trying to save theirs. 1vs 1 invasions and no coop. Also revamp the Vs Mode for 4 players online and online card trading.

My dream game is basically in the vein of Skyrim, but with a larger, more detailed, more reactive world. I love the freedom and openness that comes with ES games, and being able to make each character I play unique by what they do in the world, rather than focusing so much on complicated dialogue trees.

Mokujin

FFXI - Vanadiel Reborn

Updated engine and closer to pre-Abyssea FFXI experience, don't like a lot of changes in the game that happened after that.

I have enjoyed FFXIV but it's quite a different experience even if there are some things in common, I want a harder, punishing, more rewarding kind of game not as casual and straightforward as FFXIV.

[I come back to FFXIV from time to time, and will certainly do it again to finish 3.4 - 3.5 or at least in time for the expansion, but I'm quite sure it still wont fill the FFXI void]

PantsuJo

An open-city sci-fi racer that mashed San Francisco Rush 2049 with Hydro Thunder, Midtown Madness, and Sonic All Star Racing Transformed into a giant ball of multiplayer racing up the side of skyscrapers, flying through lazers, powerboating through giant acquaria, and looping, boosting and spinning around a ridiculously OTT sci-fi metropolis with spaceships looping around crystal pyramids and portals and neon streets. Plus battle races.
Seems awesome, dude

An FPS/ RPG as big as WoW with everything WoW has to offer. I would say Destiny is like 10-15% of WoW. I would love if Destiny went full WoW and offered everything WoW offered including the MASSIVE world size in WoW. I would gladly pay 15 bucks a month for that.

Morinaga

Street Fighter V's general gameplay and balance with Third Strike's high quality 2D sprite art, music, style, and parry system.

kRXnZwKrPTwVq.gif

Maligna

Banned
A Mass Effect or Dragon Age style game set in a new and unique costumed superhero universe. (aka: Not Marvel or DC)

A game or series of games based in the Culture books of Iain M Banks. You start out in Contact which has you meet and greet Alien Races of differing technological prowess. Living on a ship, travelling the Galaxy, helping uplift Civs, generally being the helpful person in any area that interests you. If that is too peace loving and hippy for you there is Special Circumstances where they solve trickier galactic problems. Being a post scarcity utopia is one thing but sometimes other Civs don't take kindly to you and your ways.

Basically Mass Effect without the human worship, A.I. fear and over reliance on violence but multiplied by a million squared. You have your own drone, you can have relationships, you can explore the rich and deep Culture as described in the novels. Damn now all I want to do is read the books again.

SomTervo

The year 2015 AD. Weird answer, but I couldn't believe it:

Dying Light: On Hard/Nightmare difficulty it is an intense open world survival horror game. It is practically Resident Evil 2 but first person and set across the whole (now-tropical) city. Mixed in with some other great mechanics like the first person melee, a strong skill tree, and Mirror's Edge-rivalling parkour, it is an all-time classic.

The first time I got stuck in the city at night time, carefully looking around corners, managing crowds of zombies, avoiding Volatiles with stealth, climbing into shops and through buildings to stay in cover... I just couldn't believe how fucking good it was. It was literally a game I've been dreaming of since playing Resident Evil 2 in the '90s.

The Witcher 3: A believable and realistic fantasy world that is too big for me to comprehend at once. Like I always forget how big it is. A world in which I can literally get on a horse and ride and ride and the sense of place just gets better and better tens, or hundreds, of hours in.

Other fantasy games have been bigger but not at this level of quality.

MGSV: A high-quality open world stealth game with a near-unlimited amount of content. Reservations about the story obviously, but the idea of being able to travel for several miles to reach an objective, with intense stealth gameplay all the way there, then exfiltrate organically, with no cutscenes and more intense stealth gameplay, is a fucking dream of mine.

The only disappointments are things like no NPC battles or co-op and such. I'm hoping Ghost Recon: Wildlands makes up for that.

I don't have a "dream game" any more because all my fantasies since I was a kid were fulfilled in 2015. It was an insane year for me. I'm still looking forward to many games and some of them are even building on those fantasies, but I feel satisfied now.

I've never been this satisfied with gaming before in my life. It's insane.

Aaron D.

header.jpg
+
header.jpg

The budget, scope, and attention to detail found in GTA V.

Coupled with the ordinary, grounded and authentic characters & story-beats of Gone Home.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem sequel with a sprinkling of Souls combat added to its mechanics on current gen.

I mean come on...that game not having a sequel is one of the great injustices.

olore

With BF1 undoubtedly being a success, I could see DICE taking the logical step forward to revisiting WWII. Although I can see how that gameplay mightn't be what you're looking for.

Probably not, no. If full-on wish-dreaming is allowed, I would just want Medal Of Honor:AA in a new, contemporary graphical suit. Kinda like what they are doing with CoD:MW now.

vsMIC

A cross over of R6 Siege, Full Spectrum Warrior, Tom Clancy Endwar and World in Conflict.

Basically an authentic war game mixing FPS and Tactic/Strategy.

Berserk by Fromsoft. Don't want a souls game, just have selectable characters representing certain builds such as schierke as magic and guts as strength. Give it bloodborne speed and have the plot be standalone but have occasional dream bosses against classic villains. Additional pipe dream would be that each character has their own unique campaign and unique bosses that make sense in terms of power and plot narrative.

Fbh

Hard to say. But one that allways comes to mind:

I'd like an semi "open world" Action RPG set in feudal japan where you travel the land as a ronin. Taking jobs from various masters and challenging known fighters to increase your reputation.
Have a fun story told in a similar yet less flashy way than the Yakuza games. Have it really be about this character in a more personal story that isn't about saving the world/nation.

Combat would be Souls inspired in that it has a focus on timing with attacks that have a real sense of impact (enemies, except bosses, die fast but so do you).
It would be flashy in Sword of the Stranger (FINAL FIGHT SPOILER) kind of way, which looks cool but doesn go into the "supernatural god like powers" realm

As by semi open world I also imagine something more like various hubs you can explore. Have one big city, a few smaller towns and some more open areas on the country side. I imagine something like Dragon Age Inquisition except areas are like 10X smaller but are well designed to offer rewarding exploration and missions. Fewer NPC's to interact with but everyone has something interesting to say or offer, fewer sidemissions but they are lenghtier and with unique narratives and characters.
Main mission would take place in unique areas with a more linear approach for their design.

Super big budget Dragon Ball Fighting Game, with mind blowing stage destruction effects (all with physics, destroyed objects will never disappear, real time environment deformation) and much larger scale than ever before. 200 Characters, all with different moves, but still highly balanced and polished.

Top Bottom