• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare Early Copies Already Out Into the Wild, Patch Required to Get Past Main Title Screen

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Absolutely crazy that only 10GB was on disk. Wtf is all that about? Having to download one 60GB update and then another 25GB update. Luckily I have half decent internet but still taking a few hours.... and I can’t even play single player. Serves me right for getting back in to CoD.

sn0man

So is the single player available offline for a PS4 physical copy? What does the 10gb install actually get you?

sn0man

I went looking. Here is what I found.

TL;DR is you cannot play the campaign without first connecting and downloading a large update.

Another COD another coaster I guess. sad

ultrazilla

Absolutely crazy that only 10GB was on disk. Wtf is all that about? Having to download one 60GB update and then another 25GB update. Luckily I have half decent internet but still taking a few hours.... and I can’t even play single player. Serves me right for getting back in to CoD.

Same thing here. Went and picked the game up last night, installed it and went to bed without playing because the servers were getting slammed. Wake up this morning thinking I could dive right in
and I'm hit with like 80 gigs of "updates" that needed to be downloaded. This shit is out of control. Feel bad for those of you out there with monthly bandwidth caps.

Shmunter

Man they really fucked the replays from the beta. The visceral gun part is diminished greatly. Hope people complain to Activision.

Last edited:

Hairsplash

Read my post again. Nowhere did I say they couldn’t be played without them, but that the experience was significantly kneecapped in many instances, creating a comparable effect for collectors of physical media, hoping for a product that will outlast server shutdowns.

Much like how this new CoD will be completely non-functional for anyone who picks it up many years from now, so will these games be handicapped, some almost to the level of not being playable. The Day 1 patch problem is something that’s becoming quite an issue, outside of GotY additions that collect all the patches and DLC.

just realized that the game is out so my comment is moot... oh well, wrong? again.

IMO, the game most likely has code that checks for internet first (so the time and time are correct) then checks that the date is after the hardcoded date in the game...
long story short, (OT?)i had to activate GTAV to play GTAV offline, my internet was down so i had to use cell phone data... not much though.

so the first data game patch may just be a very minor patch, or just a Date check thing.
so my “sunshihe and lollipops” outlook in this case is that, to start the game it will require a date check, and not GIGABYTES of data download...

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Holy shit. I downloaded the 75gb update, then got hit with a 1.8gb update for some reason that gave me an error. So I had to cancel that update and it deleted THE ENTIRE FUCKING GAME. Now I have to do this all over again. This is how serial killers are born. Fucking ridiculous.

Last edited:

PSYGN

They don't want you to buy physical. They want you to go digital next time thinking "might as well because they might release it a day early AND the fact that I practically have to download it anyway".

Holy sh8t this game is amazing and the night vision works too LOL

CRb1Wk3.jpg

makaveli60

The game is amazing but they are disgustingly using it to force us into the digital future, knowing it will sell a shitton. Can't play campaign without the update, meaning if anything happens with the servers in the future I can throw the disc out. Also it won't let you play without creating an activison account. Shame, if I knew this earlier I wouldn't have bought a sealed copy. Next time they do this I will only buy a used one, I won't support publishers who do this.

Shmunter

Hope people are aware that once you breathe a sigh of relief after the patches and you click spec ops. Yep more downloading, lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom