• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm: Apocalypse |OT| Where the Rubber Meets the Road

I cant believe nearly everyone in a race bet against me in Upper Bohemia because I lost a previous race. Proved them wrong when I came in first by many seconds with my car (why would they choose vehicles for the offroad on that level, lol). Ive only been focusing on three vehicles to get used to them.

The ATV gets a bit annoying..it can crash on its own, the smallest bump will litrally send it off balance, excellent in the water, etc. Online is awesome though, hopefully more people come on as 10+ person races are hectic but awesome and so rewarding.

Adamm

Finally completed single player

I really loved on the ending credits
all the staff left notes under their name, made them all seem more human (if that makes sense).

My personal favorite

"This is not the 'ideal' way to do this, but im leaving you and taking the kids"

Also makes it more disappointing about the PR disaster this game has been due the events in Japan :(

Awesome game though , need to start playing some online now :D

btkadams

the online in this is so awesome. it's especially awesome that you can play splitscreen online and all rank up as well. my friend put her psn account on my ps3 so we could level up together. soooo fun!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I've had this game since near European launch and hadn't put it in except once to play some Split-Screen.

Why didn't I try this game earlier. The first few hours have been the best arcade racer experience for me in this generation.
Let's see if it has the same longevity for me in multiplayer that Blur had.

But the singleplayer is just smile-inducing.

This game is awesome. Just played through Waves of Mutilation

5732899675_fe40f9869a_z_d.jpg

5732899571_de248485e1_z_d.jpg

5732899441_beb81a7b6d_z_d.jpg

5733444800_4a5d125240_z_d.jpg

5733444698_566fcb44c3_z_d.jpg

5733444400_f2830b3a33_z_d.jpg

5733444154_0a9350b03b_z_d.jpg

5733443972_7b30ecbabf_z_d.jpg

Pancho

Qurupancho
This is such an awesome game to play online. Last night me and my friend play for 4 hours straight and it never got old, been a while since I've played a game straight for that long. I also found btkadams in one of the rooms :p

test_account

XP-39C²
Man, i had an intence finish earlier today. At the very last turn before the finish, i managed to take the inner turn on the leader, and i won with like 0.15 seconds :D

Dedication Through Light said:
I cant believe nearly everyone in a race bet against me in Upper Bohemia because I lost a previous race. Proved them wrong when I came in first by many seconds with my car (why would they choose vehicles for the offroad on that level, lol). Ive only been focusing on three vehicles to get used to them.

The ATV gets a bit annoying..it can crash on its own, the smallest bump will litrally send it off balance, excellent in the water, etc. Online is awesome though, hopefully more people come on as 10+ person races are hectic but awesome and so rewarding.
I think that some people just look at the previous result list and assume that the lower placed drivers are worse drivers, but that can be a mistake to do. I kinda did that myself earlier today. One guy had been placing fairly low in 5-6 races in a row, and when i finally decided to bid against him, he then won the race. Lost my 5-6 race bidding streak as well hehe :\ I almost had him at the end, but he managed to crash into me, and since i dont have the "instant respawn" perk like he had, i didnt have much of a chance to catch up to him.

But it is fun when people be against me and then i win hehe =)

tzare

wich perks are the most used online+ i am level 14 so far but most time i feel others have some kind of advantadge when racing online. I still do not know what i do wrong when races start, my vehicle, no matter which one, always seems the slowest and usually get hit from behind or loose a lot of time from start.

test_account

XP-39C²
tzare said:
wich perks are the most used online+ i am level 14 so far but most time i feel others have some kind of advantadge when racing online. I still do not know what i do wrong when races start, my vehicle, no matter which one, always seems the slowest and usually get hit from behind or loose a lot of time from start.
There is a perk that has faster acceleration, so maybe they use this. I dont remember at which level this perk is being unlocked at, but i think that it is at level 19 or 29 (or something in between there).

I dont know which perks that are used the most, but faster acceleration and "instant respawn" seems to be used quite much after my experience. (the perk is not called "instant spawn", it says something like that it shortens the reset-back-to-track time to half of the time that is normal, but sometimes it feels like people instantly spawn after they crash. Maybe it is a lag issue, but i dont know).

EDIT: It also depends on which surface that you start on. Like earlier today i got smashed from behind right at the start even if i used the faster acceleration perk. I think that the reason for this is because i had a chopper and i started on sand, while the vehicle that ramed into me was a moster truck or a big rig, which i assume that is faster on sand compared to choppers.

Pancho

Qurupancho
tzare said:

Hot Rod (Faster acceleration) and Armor arepretty indispensable IMO. With Armor its next to impossible to actually wreck, you'll just bump against the wall and most of the time be able to reset instantly. But Hot Rod is used by almost everyone since it lets you be ahead of the pack at the beginning to avoid the starting line clusterfuck.

AEREC

Online didnt do anything for me as far as redeemign this abysmal game goes...I love seeing a car crash not too far ahead of me and then see it respawn ahead of me without skipping a beat.

test_account

XP-39C²
AEREC said:
Online didnt do anything for me as far as redeemign this abysmal game goes...I love seeing a car crash not too far ahead of me and then see it respawn ahead of me without skipping a beat.
That is the "instant respawn" perk. I agree that this perk is too overpowered. They should delay the respawn time with like 0.50 seconds in my opinion.

EDIT: Or maybe make it less powerful after you reach a certain level. The "instant respawn" perk can be good for people who are new to the game and dont know the tracks that well.

Shearie

This game continues to be so damn good! I loved it when playing the single player when PSN was down but the multiplayer is some of the best online racing I've ever played.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
it crashed, on a brand new 320 gb ps3 as well.

it killed my launch ps3 and now i dont want to play it anymore.

XTERC

I love playing this game online, but I seem to be having all sorts of issues getting online from 'There is a problem communicating with the server' to disconnects at the end of a race during XP handouts.

Are all PSN games like this at the moment or is just MS?

btkadams

Pancho said:
This is such an awesome game to play online. Last night me and my friend play for 4 hours straight and it never got old, been a while since I've played a game straight for that long. I also found btkadams in one of the rooms :p
small world! yeah definitely fun with friends. my friend has her account on my ps3 and we've been playing it 2-player online every chance we get.

test_account

XP-39C²
XTERC said:
I love playing this game online, but I seem to be having all sorts of issues getting online from 'There is a problem communicating with the server' to disconnects at the end of a race during XP handouts.

Are all PSN games like this at the moment or is just MS?
I think that it is related to MS:A specifically. I had some smaller issues today as well with MS:A, first i couldnt join a game (i just had to retry "find game" and then it worked fine though) and one time it disconnected after a race was done. But besides that it has worked pretty good for me.

Tendo said:
45 bucks on amazon..Thinking of taking the plunge. How is this for local multi?
I havnt played local multiplayer myself, but i assume that it is pretty much the same as online play, which i find to be great :) Local multiplayer also supports 4 player splitscreen, which i guess can be pretty cool as well.

Tendo said:
Thanks for the info! My crew and I loved Split/Second and this looks similar. Just ordered a copy!

Offline makes me think it feels like Split/Second (miss the Split/Second soundtrack but the Motorstorm one comes close sometimes). Destruction always makes each race so unique!

Tendo

Offline makes me think it feels like Split/Second (miss the Split/Second soundtrack but the Motorstorm one comes close sometimes). Destruction always makes each race so unique!
Exactly what we are looking for. We played the mess out of split/second last year. Now it just needs to get here faster. I'm tendo101 on psn. Add me up!

CatPee

I'm really sad that the game (seemingly) bombed. First the delay from 4/12 to 5/3, then the whole PSN thing. Really makes me sad when unpredictable stuff like that happens and damages a good game's ability to sell. :(

Tendo

CatPee said:
I'm really sad that the game (seemingly) bombed. First the delay from 4/12 to 5/3, then the whole PSN thing. Really makes me sad when unpredictable stuff like that happens and damages a good game's ability to sell. :(

I'm seriously worried about this studio going forward. I hate racing games, but I LOVE the Motorstorm series. I didn't even know this had come out until I saw it on Amazon and did a search this morning. I hope these guys can continue on. I can't wait to play! Showed some of my buds some footage from the gametrailers review and we are all hyped up.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
am i seriously the only guy for who the game crashed? it killed my old ps3, bought a new 320gb slim and it froze (altho at a much later level and only once) but now im afraid to play cause i dont wanna kill my new ps3.

CatPee said:

What do you mean by bombed? The first two lit up sales charts or something? If anything, like the Pacific Rift, they will bombard us with DLC packs, all but assuring they are making big money and they can go on a huge advertising thing this summer...

Tiduz said:
am i seriously the only guy for who the game crashed? it killed my old ps3, bought a new 320gb slim and it froze (altho at a much later level and only once) but now im afraid to play cause i dont wanna kill my new ps3.

This game never crashed on me on the 2nd gen PS3.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
What do you mean by bombed? The first two lit up sales charts or something? If anything, like the Pacific Rift, they will bombard us with DLC packs, all but assuring they are making big money and they can go on a huge advertising thing this summer...

This game never crashed on me on the 2nd gen PS3.

then i guess the disc is borked or something weird. fml

megamerican

I was really impressed with the demo. Just got the full game and it's really pretty bad. The tracks are pretty awful apart from the demo level, and maybe one of two others. The motion comics are bad, not a funny bad either, just downright embarrassing.

The graphics look really flat. Even the flaming crash wreckage looks pretty chintzy. There is some impressive destruction, although I've had multiple bouts of crippling frame drops. It's been awhile but I would say it's visually a huge downgrade from Pacific Rift. Actually the whole game is pretty much a step back from Pacific Rift.

The whole apocalyptic city approach seems pretty misguided. After Split Second it would have been more interesting to keep the lush terrain of Pacific Rift, and then try a more natural disaster approach.

BeeDog

megamerican said:
I was really impressed with the demo. Just got the full game and it's really pretty bad. The tracks are pretty awful apart from the demo level, and maybe one of two others. The motion comics are bad, not a funny bad either, just downright embarrassing.

The graphics look really flat. Even the flaming crash wreckage looks pretty chintzy. There is some impressive destruction, although I've had multiple bouts of crippling frame drops. It's been awhile but I would say it's visually a huge downgrade from Pacific Rift. Actually the whole game is pretty much a step back from Pacific Rift.

The whole apocalyptic city approach seems pretty misguided. After Split Second it would have been more interesting to keep the lush terrain of Pacific Rift, and then try a more natural disaster approach.

Well, to each their own (I love the game a lot and think it's a massive improvement over Pacific Rift), but if the bolded is true, then something has to be wrong on your end. The performance of the game is insanely good, and the tearing/frame drops are minimal at worst; the game's essentially 30 fps locked at all times while still looking better than PR.

test_account

XP-39C²
Tiduz said:
The game has freezed on me 1 or 2 times, but concidering that i have had probably like 500 races in total, i would say that those freezes were totally random. I have a european PS3 Slim 120GB.

EDIT: The game has freezed more than 1-2 times on me, but that was when i tried to play online and the game freezed in the menu. Many people had this problem, but it is fixed now through patching :)

Shearie

Himself said:
The disappointment in this thread disappoints me.

Me too but oh well, what can you do? Every Motorstorm game has had it's share of vocal haters. I personally completely love the game and I'll buy every DLC map pack released for this since it's going to be my go to MP racer for the forseeable future. Hopefully Evolution Studios still release that new track with multiple variations for free that I remember hearing about somewhere.

Varth

Any tips or guide for the online? I can't seem to do better than 6-7th place in ANY way (I'm level 11, so I still don't have any of the most important perks).

I guess I should check vehicle/track association and the best track for a specific vehicle in a given track. Anything like that?

Thrakier

Varth said:
Any tips or guide for the online? I can't seem to do better than 6-7th place in ANY way (I'm level 11, so I still don't have any of the most important perks).

I guess I should check vehicle/track association and the best track for a specific vehicle in a given track. Anything like that?

Players are pretty good now and they know "shortcuts"...

BeeDog

Varth said:

What vehicle type are you currently using the most? Have you tried playing with the choppers? I often post decent results with that vehicle type, regardless of the track that's played.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yep, i would also recommend using the choppers. They are fairly fast, small (less chance to hit something) and they handle pretty good in my opinion.

Varth said:

That would be helpful, I do like how winning is dependent on vehicle type, it just took me a while to grasp which ones were best. It was funny playing a race when others would have a terrible vehicle type and I just blew them away.

Thrakier

That would be helpful, I do like how winning is dependent on vehicle type, it just took me a while to grasp which ones were best. It was funny playing a race when others would have a terrible vehicle type and I just blew them away.

Hm, strange, I didn't notice that the choice of vehicle makes any difference at all (besides the handling).

test_account

XP-39C²
One way to check which vehicle that is fastest for each stage is to check under time trials and see which vehicles that has the best times. This doesnt show which route that is the fastest though, but at least you get an idea which vehicle that is the fastest.

Thrakier said:
Hm, strange, I didn't notice that the choice of vehicle makes any difference at all (besides the handling).
I noticed it specifically a few days ago. I was playing on 'Baked' and i used a super bike. In front of me there was a super mini i think. No one used boost, but i was still gaining on him, and the game doesnt have rubberband in online play as far as i know. I wasnt driving A LOT faster, but i was definitely driving faster.

megamerican

BeeDog said:
Well, to each their own (I love the game a lot and think it's a massive improvement over Pacific Rift), but if the bolded is true, then something has to be wrong on your end. The performance of the game is insanely good, and the tearing/frame drops are minimal at worst; the game's essentially 30 fps locked at all times while still looking better than PR.

Yeah overall the game is pretty smooth. However, there have been a couple occasions where (usually during a destruction) the game has extended bouts of noticeable slowdown. I'm using a launch PS3.

swoon

test_account said:
One way to check which vehicle that is fastest for each stage is to check under time trials and see which vehicles that has the best times. This doesnt show which route that is the fastest though, but at least you get an idea which vehicle that is the fastest.

I noticed it specifically a few days ago. I was playing on 'Baked' and i used a super bike. In front of me there was a super mini i think. No one used boost, but i was still gaining on him, and the game doesnt have rubberband in online play as far as i know. I wasnt driving A LOT faster, but i was definitely driving faster.

the thing about online is also getting a good start, i have a hard time with bikes/minis because everyone uses larger trucks and i get into a lot of early wrecks and stuck in the middle of pack for the whole race.

AEREC

After weeks of hating this game and almost trading it in...I feel like I am finally starting to get used to it...though I feel a little like I forced myself to like it.

It's still the weakest of the 3 Motorstorm games but I feel like I can tolerate it now and actually find myself enjoying it sometimes.

It's too bad I cant play online right now as a storm took down a tree and took out the cable line going to the house.

How well did this game sell considering it was delayed at the last minute and launched during the PSN outage?

Flunkie

Banned
Shearie said:
Do it! You need something to pull you away from crappy iOS games like Zombie Farm.
Hush you! Zombie Farm is amazing.

Also: I just got this for free!

First thing I noticed was that the music, compared to the first two, sucks. Maybe I haven't heard enough, but the first MotorStorm's inclusion of "Slam" by Pendulum made the game soo much better.

First impressions are that Pacific Rift is more fun. :\

Not a big fan of the cutscenes/story either.

Flunkie

Banned
Turned game sounds to 60, with music still at 100%. I change my opinion - like the music better now. Definitely some nasty tracks here.

I just got to the hurricane race. Definitely the best so far. Overall, pretty underwhelmed still.

Top Bottom