• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm: Apocalypse |OT| Where the Rubber Meets the Road

Tiduz

Eurogaime
its edited out from the PAL one as well, i can confirm this cause my ps3 broke playing this game.

/bitter

Wario64 said:
Dear god those cutscenes are terrible. First game where I'll be skipping all cutscenes lol

Why the fuck did they hire people to do those dumb cutscenes, the character drawings suck, it's third-tier image comic/Joe Madueira bullshit.

ouchx100

I've bought all motorstorms on their release days and have played the crap out of the first 2, and now with the third game I have to say, what happened to the good old motorstorm? The cartoon graphics, the shitty cutscenes.. I want more island or desert paradise with vehicle mayhem over this city that apparently has too many earthquakes.

Its still a decent game and I don't regret buying it. But it lost the appeal that made play motorstorm so much. If you guys have already had this conversation, I admit that i haven't read much of this thread

Stoffinator

ouchx100 said:
I've bought all motorstorms on their release days and have played the crap out of the first 2, and now with the third game I have to say, what happened to the good old motorstorm? The cartoon graphics, the shitty cutscenes.. I want more island or desert paradise with vehicle mayhem over this city that apparently has too many earthquakes.

Its still a decent game and I don't regret buying it. But it lost the appeal that made play motorstorm so much. If you guys have already had this conversation, I admit that i haven't read much of this thread

My guess is, they tried to appeal to more of the younger crowd who thought it would be hip and cool, rather than the older crowd who just need a new hip. :p

Cut scenes are the worst. This series so did not need them. I was hoping this would be just Pacific Rift in a earthquake city. Here is hoping the next one is in snow.

Shearie

PortTwo said:
... judging from the reception in here I think I might stick with Motorstorm: PR. A shame.

When the game came out weeks ago in the UK, there were also posters in this thread saying that this game is awesome and it's the best Motorstorm yet, not to mention some reviewers saying the same thing. Thankfully for me, not only is everything that I've seen so far of this looks wonderful (except for the story cutscenes, although they are pretty much inconsequential to me), I also have a Gamefly subscription so I never have to rely on other people's opinions because God knows I've been steered wrong so many damn times here on GAF before I started using Gamefly. :)

ouchx100

Stoffinator said:
My guess is, they tried to appeal to more of the younger crowd who thought it would be hip and cool, rather than the older crowd who just need a new hip. :p

Cut scenes are the worst. This series so did not need them. I was hoping this would be just Pacific Rift in a earthquake city. Here is hoping the next one is in snow.

You had the same thoughts as me. My friend said it reminded him of split second.

They had that one set in the snow.. on ps2 and psp. I forget what it was called, I only rented it and played a little on psp.

swoon

the cutscenes are stupid but the tracks are really awesome and well designed. Skyline is an obvious hightlight - but all the ones on the beach with the invading army are well done and have lots of great multiple paths and i mean that's what the game is about.

NullPointer said:
Wait. What????

I got to second this. You can't choose vehicles in this game?! I didn't even know it was out but after reading about it I just don't know. PR was so good, I just don't want to go down in quality.

Stoffinator

Shearie said:
When the game came out weeks ago in the UK, there were also posters in this thread saying that this game is awesome and it's the best Motorstorm yet, not to mention some reviewers saying the same thing. Thankfully for me, not only is everything that I've seen so far of this looks wonderful (except for the story cutscenes, although they are pretty much inconsequential to me), I also have a Gamefly subscription so I never have to rely on other people's opinions because God knows I've been steered wrong so many damn times here on GAF before I started using Gamefly. :)

The game itself is really good. Some problems, like magnets to the AI or horrible story/cut scenes. That you can skip. But the game play is still Motorstorm.

Metalmurphy said:
You can't choose vehicle on story mode, each event has a pre set vehicle. But you can on the other modes.
Thanks for clearing that up. Can you still choose to skip certain story races or maybe come back to them later?

If you had to go through each race in order, without being able to choose a vehicle that'd be a bummer.

Stoffinator

NullPointer said:
Thanks for clearing that up. Can you still choose to skip certain story races or maybe come back to them later?

If you had to go through each race in order, without being able to choose a vehicle that'd be a bummer.

You have to follow the story in order, but you are able to go back and replay levels again to get better medals. But, you are still set to a vehicle.

Interstellar

Neo Member
VGChampion said:
I got to second this. You can't choose vehicles in this game?! I didn't even know it was out but after reading about it I just don't know. PR was so good, I just don't want to go down in quality.

It doesn't, this is just as good as the other Motorstorm's if not the best MS yet!

You can't choose different vehicles in the single player but you can in quick races, spilt screen and online (which is the biggest and best part of the game).

UFRA

Just got the game today.

Totally awesome. The controls feel real nice and I spent the first hour or so just customizing all of my vehicles (and got trophies for doing so :p).

My only complaint (and it's a big disappointment to me personally) is that the engine sounds of the vehicles are WAY too low...It's really weird because both previous MotorStorms had pretty decent engine noises for the vehicles. At least decent enough to know you were driving something.

In this game it seems like all I hear is a faint humming of the engine which is overwhelmed by the boost sound, music, and other effects. I don't want to turn down the music either since then the mood just isn't the same lol. I did adjust music to 90% and kept sound at 100%, but still it barely helped.

Gacha-pin

DidntKnowJack said:
I'm surprised more people aren't up in arms about not being able to choose vehicles. I'm dumbfounded by this boneheaded move.

It sucks but I think the online is the main mode, which we can't play currently, for MS:A since you can't unlock anything in single player. They fixed a few online issues in MSPR and it's easier to play online this time.

Just got playing the story a little bit.

The story is pretty bad, and the cut scenes are worse than everyone led me to believe. It's pretty obvious that the whole purpose of the story mode is to get you used to all the different vehicles in the game. I'm sure the meat of the game is the multiplayer. Hopefully we will be able to play that soon.

Game plays great. Was a little surprised by the cel shaded look. I guess it's something I just didn't pick up on from the videos I saw.

Overall i'm pleased.

Ashes

Banned
Can't wait to have money again, so I can buy this game. This ahead of the new socom, and all the rest of the latest releases.

AEREC

Metalmurphy said:

Gotta agree..Apocalypse is not only the worst Motorstorm intro, it's one of the worst game intros ever...I mean the slide show effect they used looks odd, I thought the game was having performance issues during the intro.

I still cant get over how bad and uncessary the SP story is, it really detracts from the overall game for me and the singleplayer replayability...especially since MP is not available right now.

glaurung

AEREC said:
Gotta agree..Apocalypse is not only the worst Motorstorm intro, it's one of the worst game intros ever...I mean the slide show effect they used looks odd, I thought the game was having performance issues during the intro.

I still cant get over how bad and uncessary the SP story is, it really detracts from the overall game for me and the singleplayer replayability...especially since MP is not available right now.
All of the animated stuff in this game is just... so freaking bad. I skipped everything the first time around and then some time later, when PSN died and I was trying to play the single player again, I watched them from the menu. God, it's like watching the cheapest possible flash cartoon made by some design school flunkies who think that biceps the size of truck tires and monstrously torpedo-like boobs look good in their doped-up minds.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just realized yesterday that the game has wheel support. Played around with my DFGT for a while and, man, it felt great. A little strange for bikes and ATVs, but everything else is just butter. It really improved my in game performance as well as you can really get a sense of the terrain thanks to the force feedback. Plus, putting the handbrake and boost on the shifter actually works well. Pull down for boost and push up for handbrake. Going into a turn using the handbrake while adjusting the wheel only to pull back and fire straight ahead is very satisfying on the wheel. Brings back memory of old arcade games like Hydro Thunder which also played nicely with the arcade wheel.

I do wish they had opted for a different visual style between the races. The cutscenes are just beyond terrible. At the very least they could have used them to hide the loading ala Mirror's Edge or Mortal Kombat. If the game flowed smoothly in and out of the cutscenes I would feel less negative about them.

So, as usual, Evolution nailed the actual gameplay but dropped the ball on everything else.

Purexed

Banned
Picked this up yesterday. Overall, I'm digging this new type of Motorstorm. I played the snot out of Motorstorm OG and Pacific Rift, and this is an interesting change of pace.

I've only tackled 3-4 races so far, and as corny as the cut scenes are, I like them better than the biker gang aesthetic from the first game. The racing still feels like Motorstorm even through you're not tearing up sandy beaches or jungles anymore. What has me eager to see each new race isn't the cars, or the environments, its the 3D.

For others like me that have been waiting for a legitimate showpiece for my new 3D TV, it's officially here and very encouraging for the future of gaming 3D. When I ran my buggy through some water spraying from an earthquake shredded street, I had to literally stop myself from wiping my glasses to clear away water. Immersive as hell. Even the iffy cut scenes are in 3D too, and the layering effect is slick enough that I'm suffering through the poor acting.

Can't wait to get home and play more this evening. When PSN finally gets back up, I can see this game being a riot to play online. The course deformation happening on every lap will make for some tense multi-player sessions.

Purexed said:
For others like me that have been waiting for a legitimate showpiece for my new 3D TV, it's officially here and very encouraging for the future of gaming 3D. When I ran my buggy through some water spraying from an earthquake shredded street, I had to literally stop myself from wiping my glasses to clear away water. Immersive as hell. Even the iffy cut scenes are in 3D too, and the layering effect is slick enough that I'm suffering through the poor acting.

Just picked this up and im glad to hear the 3d is awesome, waiting for my controller to charge up so I can actually sit back and play in 3d.

Picked this puppy up and the 3D in this game is outstanding. The bridge level convinces you 3D has the wow factor you're looking for. The story mode cut scenes is cool in 3D as well, I'm feeding my 3D tv with some fantastic games and she is loving it.

Purexed

Banned
gluv65 said:
Picked this puppy up and the 3D in this game is outstanding. The bridge level convinces you 3D has the wow factor you're looking for. The story mode cut scenes is cool in 3D as well, I'm feeding my 3D tv with some fantastic games and she is loving it.

Yeah, I'm itching to get home to play more. Outside of this and Mortal Kombat, I don't have any other 3D games. What else are you playing that has good 3D?

Purexed said:
Yeah, I'm itching to get home to play more. Outside of this and Mortal Kombat, I don't have any other 3D games. What else are you playing that has good 3D?

I thought crysis 2 3d was pretty good, nothing spectacular but made the game more enjoyable and the sound is great, I thought it was better than killzone 3. The 3d is smooth and doesnt strain the eyes.

Purexed said:

Socom 4: 3.5/5 nice subtle effect after I changed my tv settings

MLB 11 The Show: 5/5 after changing default settings in game and tv settings(road to the show in 3D is surreal.

KZ3: 3/5 nice first try

The fight Lights out: 4/5 nice effect of immersion

Tumble: 5/5 awesome just like being there

hustle kings 3.5/5 nice to see the pool balls have a great presence in the virtual world

WipeOut HD: 4/5 just a good representation

Super Star Dust HD: 5/5 closest thing to MotorStorm A

NBA 2K 11 2/5 not worth mentioning.

Teknoman

So about the gameplay, this is my first Motorstorm (just rented the game today...hoping PSN comes up before I have to return it) and i'm wondering, do you have to drift to take sharp corners? If so, should I e-brake or just use the standard brake/reverse?

Thrakier

dark10x said:
So, as usual, Evolution nailed the actual gameplay but dropped the ball on everything else.

Not really. Track design is brillant and something completly different compared to everything else. Also they nailed the online mode.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
So...hmmm..well.....is there any chance for a patch that do something to the rubberband AI?

I want to buy the game but after the two Motorstoms,Split/Second and Need for Speed Hot Pursuit I prefer give a random hobo a blow job than play any racing game with rubberband AI ever again.

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Have you guys seen the video were they edited out about TOKYO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfIBPW_H5h8&feature=player_embedded

...They should have removed all these awful animated cutscenes.

Cypher

Playing through the U.S. version (having a blast, btw) and the cutscene where Shimi remarks about Tokyo IS intact (even with subtitles turned on, it's all spelled out right there). So, it's not edited out.

Top Bottom