• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm: Apocalypse |OT| Where the Rubber Meets the Road

Tiduz

Eurogaime
it took me 3 motorstorms but i suck at motorstorm. i always give up cause it gets too hard. i gave up at the one after the tornado race guess i kept getting pwned and placed fifth 7 times.

Kolgar

Tiduz said:
it took me 3 motorstorms but i suck at motorstorm. i always give up cause it gets too hard. i gave up at the one after the tornado race guess i kept getting pwned and placed fifth 7 times.

I think that one got me, too. Weird difficulty spikes FTL. Get past that one and you're good to go for a few more races.

Tendo

I suck online. I'm trying to do the challenges but am having problems earning wrecks. I hit guys they spin out and explode, I get no credit. What is the easiest way to earn wrecks?

I grabbed this as an impulse buy the other day since my Best Buy had a pricing error and had to match it at the counter. It's total luck that I even saw it. Anyway, it's pretty fun. It fits right in there with Split Second, Blur, and NFS Most Wanted as a very capable and fun arcade racer. We've been spoiled this generation with driving games of this nature.

Kolgar

SillyEskimo said:
I grabbed this as an impulse buy the other day since my Best Buy had a pricing error and had to match it at the counter. It's total luck that I even saw it. Anyway, it's pretty fun. It fits right in there with Split Second, Blur, and NFS Most Wanted as a very capable and fun arcade racer. We've been spoiled this generation with driving games of this nature.

Yes, it scratches my Split/Second itch quite nicely. Different, but certainly a similar kind of thrill.

The difficulty spikes will surely be the death of me (or it), but I'm enjoying the game well enough.

I never really played any of the Motorstorm games (aside from the demos on PSN), so forgive me if this has been asked/discussed to death: did they remove road deformation via tire treads? I remember that being a big talking point for the first game. If you were a small and nimble ATV you definitely did not want to be behind a large truck which was creating ruts in the ground. Likewise, there were different terrain types, and the smaller vehicles were typically concerned with staying on a path beneficial to their light weight.

None of this seems present in Motorstorm: Apocalypse (granted, I've only played the demo so far). What's the difference between vehicle types now? Just acceleration and top speed?

Shearie

Summary Man said:
I never really played any of the Motorstorm games (aside from the demos on PSN), so forgive me if this has been asked/discussed to death: did they remove road deformation via tire treads? I remember that being a big talking point for the first game. If you were a small and nimble ATV you definitely did not want to be behind a large truck which was creating ruts in the ground. Likewise, there were different terrain types, and the smaller vehicles were typically concerned with staying on a path beneficial to their light weight.

None of this seems present in Motorstorm: Apocalypse (granted, I've only played the demo so far). What's the difference between vehicle types now? Just acceleration and top speed?

Road deformation was always just a visual thing in the Motorstorm games. You must be thinking about the latest Sega Rally games where the ruts in the ground created by cars affected handling. As far as the different terrain types affecting different vehicle types, that is still present in Apocalypse like it was in the previous games. If you drive a bike through the mud even while boosting, it feels like you're going 25 miles per hour, but if you're using a bigger vehicle, it doesn't affect speed at all or very little. The difference this time is that you're driving on concrete roads a lot more for this game than the previous ones.

BPK

This is definitely the weakest of the Motorstorms. It seems like they nerfed the handling to make it more newb friendly. Your car was a beast to handle in Pacific Rift, but here it feels that the game does most of the work for you. I know a lot of this is due to the fact that you're racing on asphalt, but I definitely felt more challenged in Pacific Rift. I also MUCH preferred the natural settings of the first two games. All in all, I'm pretty disappointed. On a positive note, online is well done.

AEREC

BPK said:
This is definitely the weakest of the Motorstorms. It seems like they nerfed the handling to make it more newb friendly. Your car was a beast to handle in Pacific Rift, but here it feels that the game does most of the work for you. I know a lot of this is due to the fact that you're racing on asphalt, but I definitely felt more challenged in Pacific Rift. I also MUCH preferred the natural settings of the first two games. All in all, I'm pretty disappointed. On a positive note, online is well done.

Agreed...this is the worst Motorstorm singleplayer wise, multiplayer wise its the best though.

AEREC

Dedication Through Light said:
I dont understand the complaints, the story in singleplayer or is the racing in the game bad? I think its their best motorstorm yet.

Ive gotten more use to it now but this has been the hardest Motorstorm to adjust too.

In the begining I had issues with always getting bump by other cars making me fly off the track or having trouble navigating the visually dense tracks making it hard to see where to go.

Oddly enough the game seems to have gotten easier the further I got into singleplayer.

And yes the story mode is absolute trash and completely uneccessary.

I lvoe the online execution though.

BPK

I dont understand the complaints, the story in singleplayer or is the racing in the game bad? I think its their best motorstorm yet.

For me it's about the setting. I just feel that the urban, apocalyptic theme has been really overplayed this generation. What's more, because you're racing on tarmac it just feels like your car is glued to the surface. Whereas controlling your vehicle was a challenge in Pacific Rift, here it feels like the handling has been significantly dumbed down.

Dibbz

It's been long overdue for me but I finally bought MS:A. Bought in new because the devs are amazing and deserve it.

First of all let me say holy fuck is this game amazing looking. It's like the God of War of racing games. So fucking beautiful to look at and it's basically rock solid frame rate wise.

The new setting is so good and the way buildings fall apart and roads tear up is just so damn good. This is by far the best motorstorm to date.

Made a few gifs of me racing in single player.

msa_supercar_crash778d.gif

msa_under_truckt7mt.gif

Dibbz

How in the world did you go under the truck, wow!
lol I didn't he drove over me :p

Started the race and was like ok holy shit a truck just blew through this wall. Then I was like why the fuck is he still driving next to me. By then he was fucking moving over to my side and next thing I know I'm under him.

Amazing game any of you gaffers play online much?

alterno69

Banned
Loving the game, got it a couple of days ago. The online setup is brilliant, very smooth. I do have a problem with many of the teacks, the look too similar, not enoug dirt/green and water. PR had some really outstanding tracks like the one with the waterfalls and the beach one that waa in one of the demos. Why don't this companies include all the old tracks in their new games? It feels like the game has four tracks or something.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
OH MY GOD AT THAT LAST GIF!

Dibbz

Summary Man said:
What's the difference between vehicle types now? Just acceleration and top speed?

There's a bigger difference between car classes this time than in previous Motorstorms. All cars handle really differently this time, you can really feel the difference because you're on tarmac. In the last couple of Motorstorms the dirt and mud made it so that all cars were sliding around unless your were in a truck or mudplugger.

One thing that really sticks out for me is the way ramming works. Bigger cars mean more weight to push people around with. So if I'm in a buggy I will try and find a different route from a racing truck or muscle car. I never felt that in Pacific Rift.

alterno69 said:
I do have a problem with many of the teacks, the look too similar, not enoug dirt/green and water. PR had some really outstanding tracks like the one with the waterfalls and the beach one that waa in one of the demos. Why don't this companies include all the old tracks in their new games? It feels like the game has four tracks or something.
Pacific Rift did have some really awesome tracks but Apocalypse is a different game. Evo Studios have done a great job imo in spicing up the city environment. There not all the same, some have you racing through the streets, some go underground, some go across rooftops and through office buildings, some are along the coast etc. I'm really impressed with the tracks.

Dibbz said:
Amazing game any of you gaffers play online much?

Downloading the updates right now and about to try out multiplayer for the first time, would like to get some gaf races going. Any advice for online? My guess is just to race your ass off

test_account

XP-39C²
That last .gif, that is some real The Fast & The Furious stuff going on! :) I wonder if they will incorporate these types of levels in multiplayer, where there arent any laps, just drive from one point to another.

Outtrigger888 said:
Downloading the updates right now and about to try out multiplayer for the first time, would like to get some gaf races going. Any advice for online? My guess is just to race your ass off
Learn the tracks good and pick a vehicle that you can control good. Maybe obvious stuff, but it is really important to know the tracks well if you want to have a chance to be within the top 3.

Dibbz

Outtrigger888 said:
Like test said, just learn the tracks. You can win with almost any class on most tracks but if you know which route suits which class it will help you.

My first day playing online I got trashed by like level 50 guys driving big rigs on a track that looked like it should have been suited for a super car.

Add me if you want, PSN is my gaf name. Won't be playing much today though.

Dibbz said:
Like test said, just learn the tracks. You can win with almost any class on most tracks but if you know which route suits which class it will help you.

My first day playing online I got trashed by like level 50 guys driving big rigs on a track that looked like it should have been suited for a super car.

Add me if you want, PSN is my gaf name. Won't be playing much today though.

Ive learned the tracks ive had the game since it released :p I heard theres a perk system in place, what perks would you suggest using?

Ill add you in a bit

Dibbz

I haven't unlocked many myself but I use the Air perk that cools the engine even when holding the gas in air, harder ram perk and half the time for respawn. So far I've won one race but the betting system they have makes online so much more competitive even if your not fighting for a podium.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Dibbz said:
I haven't unlocked many myself but I use the Air perk that cools the engine even when holding the gas in air, harder ram perk and half the time for respawn. So far I've won one race but the betting system they have makes online so much more competitive even if your not fighting for a podium.

I love it how it rewards you for coming first... but not a big reward. It rewards you for finishing in the top three... but not a big reward. And it rewards you for beating someone you think you can beat and you get a nice chunk of a reward and it stacks.

Right now I really need to get back and go from level 38 to 40 so I can get my platinum trophy. But that will have to wait a while.

My current perks are always: Acceleration, Watercooling/Aircooling, Ram/Protection depending on course and vehicle.

Just played the demo and...what a big disappointment. I know Motorstorm demos usually aren't as good as the actual game but, still.

Some gripes:

1. Why did they change the boost meter? It was perfect in the 1st and 2nd one. This one seems more complicated and it's much harder for me to tell out of the corner of my eye how much boost I have used. Maybe I'm just not used to it but it feels like a change for the worse.

2. When I'm using boost, the vehicle looks pretty much the same. Gone is the cool flames bursting from the back in the first two games. That was the coolest thing about boost! Now I can barely tell when I'm using it.

3. Personal preference, but the apocalyptic setting is really not clicking with me. The first two had beautiful environments (especially pacific rift) but this one seems pretty drab.

4. Crashes are weaksauce compared to the first two. The car barely deforms. In Pacific Rift the car would pretty much explode with pieces flying all over the place.

5. The 3D effect doesn't seem as good as Pacific Rift. There are bits and pieces flying around at times which is cool but it's not as good as Pacific Rift's dirt flying towards the screen at all times cool.

All in all it feels like a step-down in every way. I really enjoyed the first one and the second was close to Motorstorm perfection with split-screen local multi and some of the tracks were gorgeous. This game really feels like a few steps in the wrong direction. Maybe I'll pick it up on Black Friday for cheap.

Ugh, I feel like I need to keep a notecard or something near me for which vehicles are best on which levels online.

Financial District Ruin, I believe its called, is an awesome track with the chopper and the supercar, though its so destructive online, I love it.

BeeDog

So, are people still playing this game? I just got back to it after being sidetracked by other, newer games, but I quickly realized why I love this game so damn much. Still the best competitive MP I've played in quite a while, and deffo in my GOTY 2011 top 3.

Anyway, some new information about the upcoming patch (finally!):

http://community.eu.playstation.com...ypse-Update-Scheduled-This-Week/td-p/13209052

Hey everyone,

The fourth game update to MotorStorm Apocalypse is currently being scheduled for release, this week. It may be as soon as tomorrow (Wednesday), but once the date and a time-frame is confirmed I'll share it with you all.

An announcement will be made on PlayStation.Blog tomorrow detailing how Wreckreation will be expanded by this update (and what it's called), but ahead of the announcement I can share some info. on what changes and imporvements are being made.

Firstly, and importantly, the update coincides with a major upgrade to the online play servers and leaderboard database. This upgrade will improve the quality of online play, connectivity between races and the integrity of leaderboard posts: Any incorrectly posted times discovered will be systematically removed from the leaderboards after the update. It also paves the way for player profiles to be added to motorstorm.com and for variability in the matchmaking playlists. A new playlist will be made available following the update to introduce limited vehicle selections every other race.

It is also in this update that several of the vehicle classes (Superbikes, Supercars, Dirt Bikes, Muscle Cars, Racing Trucks and ATVs) have been re-tuned, with improved performance for more competitive races. The changes have been carefully considered for balanced racing between the 13 vehicle types and 40 multiple-route races, and then put through their paces in rigorous rounds of testing. As ever though, we'd appreciate your thoughts when you get the update.

Thank you all for your continued feedback and activity. While I'm not always able to reply to the comments and threads across the forums, in private messages, on twitter, facebook, etc. I do keep up to speed with all of them, and the MotorStorm team endeavours to factor this feedback into the updates to the game wherever possible.

I just hope the choppers aren't nerfed against the other vehicle classes, because I'm currently owning on pretty much any stage with my bike <3 :p

test_account

XP-39C²
I still play it, reached level 60 a few days ago :) Every race i play is almost just as fun, and that is after nearly 600 races.

Looking forward to the update, especially to see what change they did to the super bikes and dirt bikes.

BeeDog

test_account, if you want a sporadic gaming partner (EU/GMT+1 times though), add me on PSN (same as GAF handle).

test_account

XP-39C²
I usually dont add people to my friends list unless i know them pretty well, but sure, i'll send you an invite tomorrow (not around to play more PS3 today) and we play some Motorstorm Apocalyse together :) Somewhere around 2-5pm GMT +1?

BeeDog said:
So, are people still playing this game? I just got back to it after being sidetracked by other, newer games, but I quickly realized why I love this game so damn much. Still the best competitive MP I've played in quite a while, and deffo in my GOTY 2011 top 3.

Anyway, some new information about the upcoming patch (finally!):

http://community.eu.playstation.com...ypse-Update-Scheduled-This-Week/td-p/13209052

I just hope the choppers aren't nerfed against the other vehicle classes, because I'm currently owning on pretty much any stage with my bike <3 :p
Fix that, its so difficult to win with some of the vehicles online.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I finally platinumed this last week so I've been taking a break from it. This update will get me back, for sure.

Interstellar

Neo Member
Will jump back online to try the update, currently level 52. Still hope the new track is coming and more updates.

Making the loading quicker before races would be a big improvement to the online experience.

Shearie

Evolution Studios are going to be announcing something about DLC with new tracks today according to a Twitter reply by them.

BeeDog

Shearie said:
Evolution Studios are going to be announcing something about DLC with new tracks today according to a Twitter reply by them.

Well, my quote above implies they'll mostly talk about the Editor that was announced before, and maybe they'll drop some stuff about the upcoming and free Alcatraz/prison island stage.

Shearie

BeeDog said:
Well, my quote above implies they'll mostly talk about the Editor that was announced before, and maybe they'll drop some stuff about the upcoming and free Alcatraz/prison island stage.

Here's the exact quotes from Twitter:

Enyx195: When comes the new MS:A DLC with new tracks? Can't wait anymore! :p

Phenom_Evolution: Keep your ear to the ground today...

That sounds like more than a maybe to me.

BeeDog

Well, that's excellent if so, but don't expect more than one level then. They've talked about the prison map before, and I assume they'll only unveil that one today.

Refined leaderboards and better online balance:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-22-motorstorm-apocalypse-online-upgraded

Evolution Studios' PlayStation 3-exclusive racing game MotorStorm: Apocalypse has been upgraded to improve online play.

The aim is to improve connectivity between races and the integrity of leaderboard posts, Sony said today.

Any incorrectly posted times discovered will be systematically removed from the leaderboards after the update. The update also sets the game up for player profiles to be added to motorstorm.com and for variability in the matchmaking playlists.

A new playlist will introduce limited vehicle selections every other race. The update retunes several of the vehicle classes, including Superbikes, Supercars, Dirt Bikes, Muscle Cars, Racing Trucks and ATVs. These have improved performance for more competitive races.

"The changes have been carefully considered for balanced racing between the 13 vehicle types and 40 multiple-route races, and then put through their paces in rigorous rounds of testing," Sony assured.

Dibbz

Oh wow DLC could be coming? Wow I've not even felt the need for DLC since I'm having such a great time with the tracks and cars that are in there already.

I've tried to get some of the cards in the festival mode recently and jesus this shit is tough. Looks like no platinum any time soon for me.

Interstellar

Neo Member
Full update details - http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/06/22/announcing-the-after-party-update-for-motorstorm-apocalypse-3/

A new day and night track, The Rock…

The stage for this After Party is an abandoned prison island near the bay, known to the lunatic racers and ravers as The Rock. Multiple routes have been carved into the island’s varied terrain, so expect off-road racing action reminiscent of the legendary island in the Pacific Rift.

5856240049_3363a5dd9c_b.jpg

Expansion of ‘Special Events’…

Weekly Challenges…

Vehicle performance re-tuned…

Game, servers and connectivity improved…

The next big update will include the Game Mode Editor, steering wheel support and "several other surprises we’ve yet to announce".

Afrikan

The Rock?

FINALLY after all these years an updated version of this..

rushtherock0.jpg

one of my favorite tracks from San Francisco Rush! although that last pic is not from the Alcatraz Level. Played that game sooooooo much I can recognize anything about it.

Top Bottom