• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm: Apocalypse |OT| Where the Rubber Meets the Road

Tried the online demo, man this game is awesome. And so is the vehicle customization.

I love how everyone bets against me cause I was rank 1 and the 4 races I did I ended up in first lol.

There seemed to be some bug after the 4th race though, race would start and only I would take off. It was like I was racing alone.

test_account

XP-39C²
Mechanical Snowman said:
Except that's not how they do it. You can't pay for the track even if you want to. Unless you were offering that as a method they should have used. It's weird that you don't have ads though, since I'm in Europe, too. Perhaps it's just a UK thing.
Sorry, i forgot to mention that i was generally speaking about games, not just Motorstorm in particular. I just ment that such system with free and optional-pay DLC would be cool, since then more people would get the extra tracks/maps, which means that there are more players to play against :)

I will try The Rock track again later today and see if any ads are added now. If it is dynamic ads (that can be changed remotely), then it is also possible to disable it, so maybe they havnt enabled it every country indeed.

BeeDog said:
I wonder if the demo users get paired up with retail users.
I assume that the demo is running on own servers seeing that it is only 3 tracks. If retail players were to play, they would be stuck playing only those 3 levels or the demo users would be kicked out of the server if the voting process brings up a track that they dont have.

Just wanted to chime in and say the game looks REALLY good. Incredible step up from Pacific Rift and Motorstorm 1.

One of the better looking games on PS3 for sure. And very fun too.

Thought I'd post these up here, a Motorstorm style Porsche mock up I've been working on :D (just for fun, I'm not part of Evolution or anything)

And I found this while browsing some Motorstorm forums, it might be old news to some but it looks like some future DLC on a dev version of the game. Anyone know any more about it?

xCFA1.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
Mechanical Snowman: Looks cool! :)

I finished the last race in Hardcore Festival today :D

6oem83.jpg

The race with the pickup trucks on Pier Pressure is probably the hardest of them all.

Dedication Through Light said:
So how is easy is the platinum in this? I occasionally boot up multiplayer once a week.
There's only one that I can see would be annoying to get and that's the Found 'em All! trophy. You have to collect all the hidden cards in the festival races. Which probably means you have to replay the whole festival looking through all the different routes to find them, unless there is a guide to finding them for each race. Even then it would be a pain.

I'm going for platinum today and tomorrow, most of the ones I've got left to grab aren't skill based, they're things like "finish a race with motion sensing" and "win a race in first person view" so easy peasy.

BeeDog

So how is easy is the platinum in this? I occasionally boot up multiplayer once a week.

All single-player trophies are very easy, but you'll have a hard time getting the platinum due to the MP trophies. The hardest one is getting to level 40 easily, since it takes a lot of time.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Mechanical Snowman said:
Anyone in the mood to let me punch them off a bike in mid air?

I would be very grateful.

Easiest way to do this is to drive really slowly and position yourself dead last in a bikes only race and wait at the ramp until you're aligned. Race up and knock 'em down. Should be able to do it in your first try. The AI is so thick in the campaign they beg to be knocked down and they're as slow as snails.

I didn't think about looking for a Bike only festival race. I've been trying on arcade mode but since you can't select your AI opponents it's been difficult to weave among the cars and find a bike.

I'll give it a go, but still if any stormers want to help / be helped with trophies or wrecking then add GTA_Chaos.

test_account

XP-39C²
Mechanical Snowman said:
There's only one that I can see would be annoying to get and that's the Found 'em All! trophy. You have to collect all the hidden cards in the festival races. Which probably means you have to replay the whole festival looking through all the different routes to find them, unless there is a guide to finding them for each race. Even then it would be a pain.

I'm going for platinum today and tomorrow, most of the ones I've got left to grab aren't skill based, they're things like "finish a race with motion sensing" and "win a race in first person view" so easy peasy.
Yeah, there are guides available for finding all the cards, both written/pictures guide and video guides :) Here is a link to the picture guide:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/mo...storm-apocalypse-complete-card-locations.html

I dont have a direct link to the video guides, but you will find them on Youtube.

UnluckyKate said:
LOL, just figure out there's a new track, The Rock...

How can I unlock more vehicles per class ? Online play ?
Yep, you have to complete different part challenges (number of opponents beaten, number of opponents wrecked, drift distance and air time) to unlock new vehicles, and this can only be done when playing online.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Just bought the game today.
I think it looks like crap, especially IQ wise and the awful apocalyptic olor palette doesn't help either. BUT I appreciate the technical achievement of putting so many racers on the grid, especially online, and the game is a ton of fun at the moment so I can easily overlook my distaste for its looks (also the destruction events make it that the game looks better from the second-last lap till the end).

Why can't I choose another character in the awful story mode tho, I hate thar kid.
Do I have to play that to unlock stuff for the online mode?

Also, none of my friends play the game :( I'd love for anyone stumbling on my post who's still playing the game online to add me:

PSN ID dashkap

BPK

Just bought the game, despite hating the demo. Two questions:

1. Is there absolutely no destruction online? The tracks feel really bland without it.

2. Is it just me or the handling really messed up? The cars are incredibly floaty and cornering seems more chance than skill.

BeeDog

BPK said:

1. Is there absolutely no destruction online? The tracks feel really bland without it.

2. Is it just me or the handling really messed up? The cars are incredibly floaty and cornering seems more chance than skill.

1. There is certainly destruction online, but the first player on the level often triggers it.

2. I don't agree, the handling is infinitely better than Pacific Rift, which had a certain level of moon physics and would randomly fuck your car up.

Neo Member
BPK said:
The cars are incredibly floaty

I agree. I'm so disappointed with this game. I'd feel much better about it if it wasn't part of the Motorstorm franchise. I'm sorry, but the physics feel completely off compared to the previous games, and the crashes (!!!) have been neutered to the max.

I love the thrill of racing while the level is falling apart and all kinds of shit is happening, but not at the expense of the qualities that made Motorstorm unique. The physics have been sacrificed.

BPK said:
It is definitely you.

I went back to PR after playing Apocalypse and the cars felt like they were made of polystyrene.

I can agree with the poster above about the crashes, though - crash, a couple of parts fall off, vehicle explodes with a bunch of 2D fire textures. Eugh. I much preferred PR's and Motorstorm's.

But I do love the game, and it's definitely on par with PR for me. If they added the option to choose AI opponent vehicles individually it would be my favourite out of the whole franchise.

BPK

Mechanical Snowman said:
It is definitely you.

I went back to PR after playing Apocalypse and the cars felt like they were made of polystyrene.

I can agree with the poster above about the crashes, though - crash, a couple of parts fall off, vehicle explodes with a bunch of 2D fire textures. Eugh. I much preferred PR's and Motorstorm's.

But I do love the game, and it's definitely on par with PR for me. If they added the option to choose AI opponent vehicles individually it would be my favourite out of the whole franchise.

Well, the junior above seems to agree. The handling just feels very, very strange. It's almost as if the car floats and can turn on a dime anywhere. Handling the various vehicles in Pacific Rift felt like a challenge; in this game the handling seems to have been dumbed down so much it no longer feels like a Motorstorm game.

Shearie

From the day this came out in the US until now, I've thought this game is an arcade racing classic. I pretty much race online every free night I have and I don't see that changing for the forseeable future since there seems to be absolutely no good arcade racers coming out anytime soon.

Woot finished Mashes story. I loved the epilogue "race", it was pretty intense going through all the locales and seeing the destruction as it happened. Probably work on the other two starting this week. I love that the game is varied enough to keep making me come back to racing.

I wonder if we will actually get extensive DLC support in terms of more tracks.

test_account

XP-39C²
Man, it takes a long time to get from level 70 to level 80. I'm at level 68 now and it already takes quite some time to get to the next level.

I've also started to drive more with other vehicles than just using the bikes. Getting a successful ram is also pretty cool :)

Dash Kappei said:
Wow, this game really DID bomb :(
I never have problems finding people to play with online, so i wonder how much that the game actually bombed. The game didnt light the sales charts on fire though, but the same could be said about Pacific Rift as far as i know, yet Motorstorm Apocalypse was made. I hope that they make another Motorstorm at least since MS:A is one of my favorite PS3 games so far :)

BPK said:
Well, the junior above seems to agree. The handling just feels very, very strange. It's almost as if the car floats and can turn on a dime anywhere. Handling the various vehicles in Pacific Rift felt like a challenge; in this game the handling seems to have been dumbed down so much it no longer feels like a Motorstorm game.
Maybe it was harder in Pacific Rift, but you need to know your vehicles in Apocalyse as well. I.e the Mudplugger sometimes feels that it is all over the road, while the rally car turns much slower. Some cars also enters drift much faster than other. Once one start to play with people who are really good with the different vehicles, then it is definitely more about skills than chance/luck if one wants to have a chance to win the race :)

I wonder if we will actually get extensive DLC support in terms of more tracks.
If there is a big enough online community, then there will probably be some more tracks available through DLC. The game already have like 36-38 tracks (some are variations though, but i still feel that most of the tracks have some unique feel to them).

Shearie said:
From the day this came out in the US until now, I've thought this game is an arcade racing classic. I pretty much race online every free night I have and I don't see that changing for the forseeable future since there seems to be absolutely no good arcade racers coming out anytime soon.

Absolutely, the game is a blast to play. Can't remember when I had so much fun with a racing game. Unfortunately, it seems it will become a Cult Classic. Appreciated by few, forgotten by rest. :(

pixelbox

First off, i want to say that this series has to be my favorite this gen. It's very rare that one could play all of the games in the series because each offers something different, i mean i don't think i have a favorite, it's all so very good. I do though have my beef with this game, one being the lighting and the other motion blur. You just don't have that blinding pure white light you get from MS:pR, which is cool because of all the indirect lighting you get in cities. The MB i wish they'd kept it at the same levels as PR. Probably would cause issues with the driving beings though this is a much more dense game visually. Ah well. Beautiful game when you're not in areas with tons of sub-pixels. It is a very good racing game that demands alot out of you but once you get it..."so good". On a side note I wanted to adress complaints about the crashes and for the record, nothing has been removed or toned down. The cars take more of a beating and doesn't rip apart easily.

pixelbox

Thank you, I try! lol. I haven't really got into the MP just yet, trying so hard to beat the best times in that one mode. So Question, how do you earn other vehicles in the same class? Parts are no problem but i can't for the life of me figure out how to earn them.. :/

test_account

XP-39C²
pixelbox said:
Thank you, I try! lol. I haven't really got into the MP just yet, trying so hard to beat the best times in that one mode. So Question, how do you earn other vehicles in the same class? Parts are no problem but i can't for the life of me figure out how to earn them.. :/
Some of the best times in time trail is so good that i wonder if they are glitched times. I cant get close to them even if i feel i drive at my top speed and take the shortest route (unless there is some hidden route that i dont know about).

To unlock vehicles and parts you must play online multiplayer. Go to My Motorostorm -> Progress -> Part Challenge, there you will see what you must do to unlock the parts and vehicles. Basically you just have to drift, gain airtime, wreck opponents and win over X numbers of opponents with each vehicle to unlock things.

pixelbox

A neogafer beat every time there, so it is very possible. But it's probably takes mad time to do. I finally got closure! I want to keep this thread bumped to bring people to this awesome game.

I give up on Trials. I download the ghosts of the first couple of players, but the speed they go is ridiculous, to the extent where they're gone within the first corner.

It sucks because I think the players with fast times on trials and special events get exclusive DLC.

test_account

XP-39C²
Maybe they have fixed the time trial times in patch 1.04 because i'm sure that there were some crazy times there before that was impossible, i.e 30 seconds with bike on Coach Party (just a hypotethical example, but it was something crazy like that at least).

Mechanical Snowman said:
It sucks because I think the players with fast times on trials and special events get exclusive DLC.
Why do you think that?

test_account said:
Why do you think that?
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/MotorStorm/Italia-Tauromachia/td-p/13313653

Some talk over at the EU Motorstorm forums,

The reward supercar - the Italia Tauromachia - will be given out to the champions of the Weekly Challenges each week, as well as for other contributions to the community. There are three
rewards (each is the Tauromachia featuring a different livery element and swap-out part set), as to help distinguish the most dedicated MotorStormers.

It's vague, but I'm sure I've heard this elsewhere, too. If something as big as a car is given out as DLC exclusive to individuals (which I think is a bad move) then it should at least be based on play time / dedication rather than lap times. But perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself since this hasn't been officially confirmed as far as I know.

BeeDog

I assume the earlier Countach-looking car you linked will be this exclusive DLC reward? Pretty cool if so, though I have no chance in hell of acquiring it.

BPK said:

I thought exactly the same thing. They messed the handling up. The camera takes on some weird angles when you're cornering too. In PR it was perfect. Hate to say it but thought this game was absolutely awful. Too much detritus and random crap on the screen that detracts from the racing experience and the cheesy story cutscenes in SP were dire. Ruined the series for me.

roxya

Kenshin001 said:
I thought exactly the same thing. They messed the handling up. The camera takes on some weird angles when you're cornering too. In PR it was perfect. Hate to say it but thought this game was absolutely awful. Too much detritus and random crap on the screen that detracts from the racing experience and the cheesy story cutscenes in SP were dire. Ruined the series for me.

I dunno about PR being perfect, but it was fun. For me, the series has got worse with every iteration. Motorstorm was great, PR was still pretty good. Great tracks and at least serviceable handling.

I just got Apocalypse on the cheap and I couldn't be more disappointed. I'm yet to drive a vehicle that handles half decently. The tracks are awful. The sound balance is messed up, with the sound effects being twice as loud as the vehicles. I will murder someone if I have to listen to the annoying beeping in elimination mode again. And of course it doesn't really matter what you do until the last lap. You're not rewarded for going fast at all. No reason to learn the tracks, no point in taking a nice line around corners. No real reason to avoid crashing out either. I don't know if the elastic band effect is worse than the other games or just the same, but it makes much of the racing feel pointless.

roxya said:
I dunno about PR being perfect, but it was fun. For me, the series has got worse with every iteration. Motorstorm was great, PR was still pretty good. Great tracks and at least serviceable handling.

I just got Apocalypse on the cheap and I couldn't be more disappointed. I'm yet to drive a vehicle that handles half decently. The tracks are awful. The sound balance is messed up, with the sound effects being twice as loud as the vehicles. I will murder someone if I have to listen to the annoying beeping in elimination mode again. And of course it doesn't really matter what you do until the last lap. You're not rewarded for going fast at all. No reason to learn the tracks, no point in taking a nice line around corners. No real reason to avoid crashing out either. I don't know if the elastic band effect is worse than the other games or just the same, but it makes much of the racing feel pointless.

Motorstorm's loading times were abysmal though. I loaded it up for nostalgia sake a few months ago and it drove me nuts. It was the first PS3 game I bought so guess I didn't notice it back then. They eliminated that problem with PR and the handling was fine. All they needed to do was add night racing and in car view, a bit of basic modding, different setting and the third game would have been great. The direction they chose just diminishes the game in every way.

Loving online still. I am Lv 34 or something now and once I've hit 40 it will be just the cards to find and I'll have Platinum trophy. Not sure if I'll keep on playing online or not, it is cool but there is a pile of sealed games staring at me from the shelf! :)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I like playing this game online *when you're ACTUALLY racing*: it's the only one I'm playing at the moment (I'm not big on online multi) so that says a lot but man, it drives me fucking insane how much waiting there in-between races and how little driving fits in between those long ass waiting times... Seriously, the game should've been razor sharp online, quick, fast, loading and waiting kept to a minimum and instead you can go have a sandwich after every 4 minutes race. Also, the music is terribad and the sound engineering is completely fucked up.

test_account

XP-39C²
Mechanical Snowman said:
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/MotorStorm/Italia-Tauromachia/td-p/13313653

Some talk over at the EU Motorstorm forums,

It's vague, but I'm sure I've heard this elsewhere, too. If something as big as a car is given out as DLC exclusive to individuals (which I think is a bad move) then it should at least be based on play time / dedication rather than lap times. But perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself since this hasn't been officially confirmed as far as I know.
I see. I actually think that this sounds like a cool idea :) It is a way to show that you're a good Motorstorm player and it gives people another reason to improve their skills on the game. But personally i dont really care that much for extra cars though, so it doesnt matter much to me if only a few people get their hands on it. I bought one DLC motorbike, used it a few times and i havnt used it since. Main reason for this is because the DLC vehicles doesnt have part challenges and i'm currently working on unlocking parts, so i want to use the original vehicles instead for now.

roxya said:

Are you sure that you're not just raging because you keep crashing the cars? Hehe :p =)

Seriously though, it is kind of interesting to see how people have different views on the handling of the vehicles. Like you say it is "difficult" handling while other say that it is almost too easy ("turning on a dime" etc.). If you have problems with the handling, i would recommend using the d-pad instead. I can only speak for myself though, but i handle the cars much easier when using the d-pad.

It is also key to know the tracks well, especially if you want to play online (at least if you want to have a chance at winning). You're right that the last lap is the most important one in single player, but if you keep crashing at the last lap, then you will most likely have a hard time to get in 1st place. Depends on how much one care about getting in 1st place though, it is enough to come in 3rd place to move on in the campaign :)

But looking back at the campaign, i kinda agree that it is "so so" (or what i shall say). I mean, i find the story to be ok enough and i love the racing part, but after playing so much online with real people instead of against AI, i have not many reasons to replay the campaign right now. The single player is basically the same as multiplayer, only difference is that the single player has a story element between each race. And since i find it much more fun to play with real people instead (goes for most games), i'd rather just play the online multiplayer instead :) This is just how i feel though.

Dash Kappei said:
I like playing this game online *when you're ACTUALLY racing*: it's the only one I'm playing at the moment (I'm not big on online multi) so that says a lot but man, it drives me fucking insane how much waiting there in-between races and how little driving fits in between those long ass waiting times... Seriously, the game should've been razor sharp online, quick, fast, loading and waiting kept to a minimum and instead you can go have a sandwich after every 4 minutes race. Also, the music is terribad and the sound engineering is completely fucked up.
Yeah, it would be nice if they had some kind of express mode in the game. A mode where you skip all the rewards after each race (you still get the rewards, but you wont see them). Except for the betting screen though, else it wouldnt be possible to bet further (the bonus pot thing).

Dibbz

What the hell. Appocalypse is amazing. You're crazy if you think it is the worst MS. Tracks are well designed, car classes matter a lot more this time and online works so well with 16 players.

Don't get me wrong I loved PR but the actual racing in MS:A is so much better.

Thrakier

Dibbz said:
What the hell. Appocalypse is amazing. You're crazy if you think it is the worst MS. Tracks are well designed, car classes matter a lot more this time and online works so well with 16 players.

Hm...I too think that regarding the sheer racing experience PR was much better. The handling is more like Burnout, very forgiving, there are too many car classes which are too similar, all going the same route most of the time. It's kinda "dumped down". It's still a great game though.

roxya

test_account said:
Seriously though, it is kind of interesting to see how people have different views on the handling of the vehicles. Like you say it is "difficult" handling while other say that it is almost too easy ("turning on a dime" etc.). If you have problems with the handling, i would recommend using the d-pad instead. I can only speak for myself though, but i handle the cars much easier when using the d-pad.

I wasn't commenting on the difficulty of the handling. I was saying that the handling feels wrong. I think the vehicles don't feel weighty enough. The handling is floaty and twitchy. I can get around a track easily enough, I just don't find doing it much fun.

And yeah, I only played the single player.

test_account

XP-39C²
Dibbz said:

I think that it has something to do with it being a more different game, kinda like it is Killzone 2 and Killzone 3 as well. Someone will like the changes, other wont like the changes that much. I also think that the first impression can be a bit "wrong" as well, that it is a game that needs to be played for a while to really see what it has to offer. And this game is in my opinion 80% about the online multiplayer, so people who only have tried the single player might miss out on something big in my opinion :)

roxya said:
I wasn't commenting on the difficulty of the handling. I was saying that the handling feels wrong. I think the vehicles don't feel weighty enough. The handling is floaty and twitchy. I can get around a track easily enough, I just don't find doing it much fun.

And yeah, I only played the single player.
Ok, i understand. Sorry for the missunderstanding. When you said "handles half decently" i thought that you ment that it was kinda difficult to control the vehicles. What do you mean with twitchy by the way?

Personally i feel that the handling is great :) The only vechile that i dont like that much sometimes is the Mudplugger and the ATV since they can sometimes be difficult for me to handle it the way i want, but other than that i'm pretty comfortable with the other vehicles.

I recommend that you try multiplayer. Not sure that you like it, but i would definitely recommend that you try it at least =)

Raonak

Banned
I absolutely liked PR and Artic Edge (missed the first) but I put them down relatively fast.

But theres something that Apoclypse does with presentation. how when playing single player, you are instantly sent to the next race, without going back to the menu. That (and better difficulty curve) actually made me finish the game.

Plus, the online mode is nicely done. You can quickly get into races, bet and whatnot. It's good.

Handling feels better than previous games, I remember in PR. Less moon physics.

And the terrain deformation... oh boy, do I like! I hope they keep it for next installments, Imaging PR like island, but with errupting volcano, hurricanes, quakes and maybe even a tsunami. insta win.

Plus, platinum trophy isn't near impossible in this one.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I was actually thinking about what they could do next next time in terms of environments, I know this may sound a little crazy but I'd actually like them to go completely pseudo-sci-fi and use the planets of our solar system as environments for races, Motorstorm IN SPACE!!

Dibbz

The first two Motorstorms were really heavy. Apocalypse lightened it up and made it faster. I can see how people would overlook the heaviness of them since that was what MS felt like to people but it wasn't great.

There is much more changed than the weight and the setting that makes Apocalypse better than PR. Firstly boost is useful this time around. Doing jumps on bikes or light vehicles is not a disadvantage in MS:A since you cool your boost doing it. Ramming is now more effective and you can really bully people with it if you are in a heavier car. The list goes on and on. Yes there are some downsides like the comic book strip SP but overall MS:A is the best designed Motorstorm game.

Oh and if you haven't played multiplayer in MS:A your missing most of the fun.

pixelbox

There's just a ton of misunderstanding for this game, I will say the camera is a little weird, but only for one level which is the bridge one. But what need to be understood is that the setting is completely different(which is why i love the series). The physics are not "dumbed down" either, there is no way the previous model would even work in this tight city so they had to be changed. It's going to feel tighter and lighter, you have to be able to think and move quicker with all of the shit going on but that's the gameplay in MS:A. P.S. i have to split my post into two because of being on the PS3

Top Bottom