• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately [OT] - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
House of Darkness (2022)
It's basically a short, slow burn ghost story. I can't say it's terribly good, but Justin Long was surprisingly good in it.

bitbydeath

images

Well, that was weird.

Doom85

M3gan. Super fun and great movie to watch in a full theater.

You know a movie is going to work when you get the audience to laugh their asses off like 15 seconds in.

Yeah, just got back from seeing it. Really funny movie but actually does have a few legit creepy moments and pretty well written characters. Like, the movie does have quite a few assholes that you can’t help but enjoy anticipating Megan giving them their just desserts but I like they vary them up in personality (the teenage boy being a bully, the neighbor being a self-absorbed bitch, and the boss willing to do anything to make a potential profit regardless of how it makes him look like a prick at times. The “dead parents” line in his pitch was hilariously dark).

Also, a good message in that while technology can assist in great ways for a developing child, ultimately it is the parent(s) who should be providing the primary emotional support.

Also smart move in having a guy who was leaking info to a rival company. This gives them an easy way to set up a sequel.

GeekyDad

Finally had an opportunity to watch Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

pkJSTm2.jpg

Man, fuck this movie. Not what I thought it was going to be. I knew it had some rough edges, but this was human darkness of the real kind. And man, fuck you! I don't need anymore of that shit in my life. The house is all full up. Fuck off!

I can see why the director got Frances McDormand and the rest of the cast -- all actors I absolutely love. Seems fairly evident he wanted to make an emotional sequel to Fargo. Mission accomplished, c*cksucker! Eat shit!

200.gif

Finally had an opportunity to watch Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

pkJSTm2.jpg

Man, fuck this movie. Not what I thought it was going to be. I knew it had some rough edges, but this was human darkness of the real kind. And man, fuck you! I don't need anymore of that shit in my life. The house is all full up. Fuck off!

I can see why the director got Frances McDormand and the rest of the cast -- all actors I absolutely love. Seems fairly evident he wanted to make an emotional sequel to Fargo. Mission accomplished, c*cksucker! Eat shit!

200.gif

In my top ten favorites of all time

Jaybe

Went since it had good review both critic and audience and it was a lot of fun. Nice to see it in a theatre as it helps with the jokes. First 15 minutes were slow but it got going. I Laughed out loud a fair bit, especially the green bug character’s comments. Nice setup for a future movie.

gUiqFVN.jpg

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Watched The Northman last night, I liked it. A little by the numbers but the aesthetic is on point. Cant wait to visit Iceland later this year after watching it

The scene with the sword through the nose was especially lovely 👃

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Burnt (2015)
A rewatch. I am a sucker for these restaurant or cooking themed movies. This one is a little more pretentious than most, but still enjoyable.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The Pale Blue Eye (2022)

It's not bad. It's interesting and the acting is solid. However, the story is structured in such a way that it screws up the pacing in the final act. It feels like it has two endings - one more satisfying than the previous.

Slightly better editing could have elevated this film a significant amount.

I watched a dull Carrie-esque film called Jennifer. It's about a girl who attends a posh boarding school. Somehow, she uses snakes to get payback on these bullies.

Billbofet

Family and I watched Devotion last night on Paramount+. From the trailers, it looks like a knock-off version of Top Gun set in the 50's with a mix of Men of Honor (2000) thrown in.
Not bad at all, just nothing new. My kids were bored a lot and I think it could have shaved 30 minutes off.
It spends so much time having the two main characters building "trust" and all the typical rote beats.
Wish a movie would just have two characters, that are really awesome at whatever they do, just instantly take a shine to each other for once and move on to being awesome together.
B-

Andyliini

Black Sea (2014) was available from local national broadcaster, so I decided to check it out. It was an enjoyable submarine thriller, with good cinematography, altough it was clearly made with a low budget. The cast was also half British and half Russian, and they actually spoke their own languages with different accents. Brought a lot of believability to the film, which is often missing from blockbusters.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Everything Everywhere All At Once

10/10

Wow. This is fucking kino guys

Meat spin 24 / 7

edit: it is impossible to tell you how awesome this movie is. It's so god damned good.

I mean at one point a guy is trying to have sex with his own butt hole to regain his power. While his mother from another universe talks him down. This is an amazing movie

In the end it's a reflection on asians in cinema. And wow. This is probably the most biting cinema ever made. No joke. This cuts deep as hell.

I just watched it again. This may be the best movie ever made.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Wasted! The History of Food Waste (2017)
Not bad for a documentary. I found it informative regarding the titular topic but also some of the technologies that existed at the time this movie was filmed. It also several big names from the food world - be it chefs, TV personalities, or journalists and foodie writers.

Andyliini

All the Money in the World
This was a great thriller. The plot and characters were written so they were easy to remember and follow, actors also did their work very well. Maybe the pacing was a bit on the slow side, and that may have been one reason the film did not do well at box office. It's a fun watch though, so give it a try!

Jaybe

M3GAN
This one was quite fun. I’d call it more comedy than any horror but a tight story and good laughs, so I slightly recommend it. Critically, it’s average the entertainment weighted down by awful acting from the lead Allison Williams and Ronnie Chieng, his being so bad it takes you out of the movie but he does have the funniest line.

xrnzaaas

M3gan started out more like a doll version of Ex Machina and I actually hoped it would stay that way being more subtle. Instead the story suddenly becomes cliche and the movie turns into a slasher. It's not a horrible idea and the doll had some cool creepy scenes (like staring at people while being still or running in the woods), but it wasn't exactly what I was expecting from the movie.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Troll (2023)
A bit corny. I liked how they treated the Norwegian mythology earnestly. If you like monster movies and don't have any others to watch it's a decent time filler.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
p14336447_p_v12_ae.jpg

Middle act dragged on a bit too long but other than that I enjoyed this. The actor pictured above does a damn fine job too. Based on a true story.

Cyberpunkd

Going to watch Tar tonight, can’t wait.

Although from what I saw in the trailer they went with ‘swing your arms and make faces’ for how a conductor should direct an orchestra, which is completely false.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
M3gan started out more like a doll version of Ex Machina and I actually hoped it would stay that way being more subtle. Instead the story suddenly becomes cliche and the movie turns into a slasher. It's not a horrible idea and the doll had some cool creepy scenes (like staring at people while being still or running in the woods), but it wasn't exactly what I was expecting from the movie.
Movie was so bad, I just don't understand all the praise. Wasnt scary, wasn't funny, had horrible writing and even worse acting. Dumbest shit I ever seen

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Troll (2023)
A bit corny. I liked how they treated the Norwegian mythology earnestly. If you like monster movies and don't have any others to watch it's a decent time filler.
There is a better one of a similar premise from a few years ago. I would recommend it. Troll Hunter 2010

xrnzaaas

Menu was reasonably good. You can pretty much guess what it's going to be about after reading the premise, but it was still entertaining to watch the chef's performance and the guests's reactions. The messaging in the ending maybe was a little bit forced, but I don't feel like it's been shoved down my throat making me agree.

Jaybe

Living
A slow burn but a nice story with a positive message told in 1950s London. It’s adapted from a Japanese film which I’ll likely see later. Bill Nighy got the actor nom for this performance. He’s great in this, but I doubt he wins. Hard to say much without spoiling but it’s a drama I recommend.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Day Shift (2023)

A hyper stylized, stunt-heavy thriller set in an alternate modern world in which a guild of vampire hunters slay various types of vampires that exist among us, hidden in plain sight. There really isn't a whole lot of substance to it - it's balls to the wall action with a prosaic and loose narrative that pretty much only exists to move the story forward from one bombastic fight or chase scene to the next.

If they didn't have a lead star as charismatic and funny as Jamie Foxx, nor someone who can play the timid and goofy sidekick trope as well as Dave Franco, this thing probably wouldn't be worth watching at all. But, thanks to them (with an assist from several other really colorful characters) it's at least a fun popcorn time filler.

Finally watched john wick .

Okay. Im in for round 2.

Honestly not THAT good of a movie, but it was pure simple fun. Actually a little refreshing. Kinda felt a bit like an 80s action movie, minus the bravado and cheese, with an added modern take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom