• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately [OT] - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Blobby

Living
A slow burn but a nice story with a positive message told in 1950s London. It’s adapted from a Japanese film which I’ll likely see later. Bill Nighy got the actor nom for this performance. He’s great in this, but I doubt he wins. Hard to say much without spoiling but it’s a drama I recommend.
saw Kazuo Ishiguro's name in the trailer which makes sense because it had a strong Remains of the Day vibe

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The Sadness - Very enterntaining with handmade effects. Also finally some new zombie idea.

Yeah this was pretty fun, and does a really good job for the most part of hiding its low budget.

Also gets extra points from me for having some of the most offensively spicy subtitles ever!

GeekyDad

p14336447_p_v12_ae.jpg

Middle act dragged on a bit too long but other than that I enjoyed this. The actor pictured above does a damn fine job too. Based on a true story.
Yeah, definitely check out some of his other movies as well.

I just finished Banshees of Inisherin.

square_thumb%402x.jpg

Didn't realize they were making a movie about my life. I feel so honored.

In all seriousness, it's a masterpiece, and I don't recommend people watch it.

Don't Hang Up (2016)

819HhrV-fxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Surprisingly decent after a rough start. Characters aren't super likeable but the guy who voices the main caller does a really good job coming across as menacing just by his voice.

It kept me on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next to these guys, very fun movie.

Mr Blobby

Knock at the Cabin

Shyamalan is back with a competent suspense movie. It's a movie about morality, faith, love. The setting and camera do a lot to instill a sense of claustrophobia. Does he still try and appear in his movies, don't think I saw him. Bautista is one big unit but he brings a tenderness to his role. It's not a typical Shyamalan movie in that there's no big reveal

GeekyDad

p14336447_p_v12_ae.jpg

Middle act dragged on a bit too long but other than that I enjoyed this. The actor pictured above does a damn fine job too. Based on a true story.
Well, after being reminded of the movie by your post, I finally went ahead and watched it.

"There are love dogs no one knows the names of.
Give your life to be one of them."
-Rumi

Yeah, I like this guy too. I think I turned onto him a while back, but I really dug The Attorney. I don't know...not sure if he's necessarily a great actor in the classical sense, since I know diddly squat about acting. But I like him. He seems to pick good stories to tell.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Empire of Light
I found nothing good or redeeming about this movie. I did not like it, and the woman was taken advantage of by men all throughout the film. It really just sucked.

Doom85

Knock at the Cabin

Shyamalan is back with a competent suspense movie. It's a movie about morality, faith, love. The setting and camera do a lot to instill a sense of claustrophobia. Does he still try and appear in his movies, don't think I saw him. Bautista is one big unit but he brings a tenderness to his role. It's not a typical Shyamalan movie in that there's no big reveal

Shyamalan did have a cameo in it, though I forget which part, just remembered seeing him briefly.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Jeepers Creepers (2001)
I saw this once, a long time ago. I forgot about 90% of it.

• One of the coolest monster bad guys in scary movies
  • Justin Long can act really well. If hadn't taken several goofy parts following this he probably would have been a much bigger star in the 2000's
  • A good mix of tense buildup horror and monster movie
  • I do not remember the actress playing his sister being this smoking

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
In the Mouth of Madness (1994)
A blunt love letter to Lovecraft. All of the typical camp, bad cosmetics, and meaningless imagery of a John Carpenter movie that still entertains despite being hollow. Stephen King is mentioned early on, and as the film progresses he gives visual nods to his most famous works that made it to film up until that point. There's also a few homages to older classic horror. For Carpenter, he frames some really interesting-looking shots. If you're both a Lovecraft and Carpenter fan it should scratch some itches.

A surprise appearance by Vigo the Carpathian.

Last edited:

Mr Blobby

Jeepers Creepers (2001)
I saw this once, a long time ago. I forgot about 90% of it.

• One of the coolest monster bad guys in scary movies
  • Justin Long can act really well. If hadn't taken several goofy parts following this he probably would have been a much bigger star in the 2000's
  • A good mix of tense buildup horror and monster movie
  • I do not remember the actress playing his sister being this smoking
haha those Apple ads being one.
Long was pretty good in Barbarian as a flawed guy looking to redeem himself

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
p4850_p_v8_ab.jpg

Hollywood made 3 versions of this because the story is so damn awesome. A complete breath of fresh air for those choking on modern movies. Huge recommend for anyone who dug Master and Commander.
Anthony Hopkins, Mel Gibson, Daniel Day-Lewis, Liam Neeson, Lawrence Olivier. What a cast! Going to watch now.

Edit: score by Vangelis, too.

Last edited:

Andyliini

Jope ite

A documentary of a local comedian who dies a few years ago. He was very popular in Finland, that is why this one was given a theatrical run. The documentary itself was pretty run-of-the-mill biopic of a famous person, his ups and downs and life story. Though some parts took quite a long while to go through while some parts of his life were quickly glossed over. It was not the documentary I ever saw, but not the worst either. It's quite difficult to label this as anything else than average, but Jope Ruonansuu was so interesting character, that his story carries the whole film.

Billbofet

Ready Player One
kids wanted to watch as they love this movie. I have seen it several times, and it usually grates on me for the overuse of pop culture reference, but this time I just let it go and enjoyed it. It is dumb as hell, but seems even more relevant today than even they few years ago when it was released.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
9Kj06lp.jpg

This movie is so bad and the dialogue was so ridiculous (how does shayamanlan think people talk irl??) that I'm starting to believe this is some sort of accidental surrealism movement and that all these terrible movies are leading to some
great meta twist ...

Last edited:
I have rented both M3gan and Die Hard :messenger_tears_of_joy:

yeah i've never seen Die Hard. ive been wanting to watch it for years but never got around to it. all i know about it is that people argue whether or not it is a christmas movie and that Alan Rickman (RIP) is in it.

going to watch it right now.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Somebody that I used to know. Outside of Allison Brie’s tits, there is very little that is interesting about this sub par rom dram. Still, good to see her and danny pudi in something togeather again. Makes me even more excited for the community movie.

q7ppMOq.jpg

The Northman. I was late getting to this one since I don't watch movies all that often. My hot take:

A few GREAT scenes, surrounded by a Hamlet retelling dressed up in Norse theming this time. Yes, I know the legend of Amleth actually inspired OG Hamlet, but we've seen so many "Hamlets" by now... Broad spoilers below:

-Berzerker attack on peasant village: awesome and uncompromising. Unless I missed it, there was nothing to make our "hero" redeeming here. Another movie would've injected a scene where he helps the village children escape or something, but Amleth's fully onboard with the raiding, murder, slaving, etc.

-Scene where you find out just how crazy Amleth's mother is: awesome acting; disturbing. You go from thinking of her like Amleth did, to understanding and sympathizing with her plight, to absolutely hating her power-hungry manipulating ways in the course of a few minutes. Dare I say, a masterful scene.

-Any scene with Anya Taylor-Joy: more good acting and screen presence. There's a reason she's getting lots of work.

-Cricket/rugby/American football-type sport scene: awesome and entertaining. Loved seeing the prince naively thinking he could hang with the big boys and getting hit with a hard dose of reality.

-Sword through the nose: had to rewind to make sure I actually saw what I just saw.

-Volcano scene: awesome. Not a Hollywood ending, but it was a happy ending for our protagonist. He got what he had been trying to achieve.

-Holy crap, Amleth's actor was like 45 years old. Could pass for mid-20s.

-Sorry to say this, but Nicole Kidman's cosmetic work was a little distracting being surrounded by all the gritty, grimy supporting characters. It kind of breaks my heart that so many people are scared to age naturally.

The majority of the time, I had difficulty staying engaged. While I think it was brave to make Amleth driven by goals somewhat unique to Viking culture, and for the characters, dialogue, theming to be immersively of the time period, I found it ultimately a little alienating. Don't know if there's a way to avoid that as it comes with the intent of the film, imo.

Still, Robert Eggers is the man. Nobody does uncomprising period pieces like he does. He presents the characters as they'd probably be, without rewriting them like they're modern-day time travelers, and it's surprisingly refreshing. I hope he gets to make whatever he wants for the rest of his life.

q7ppMOq.jpg

The Northman. I was late getting to this one since I don't watch movies all that often. My hot take:

A few GREAT scenes, surrounded by a Hamlet retelling dressed up in Norse theming this time. Yes, I know the legend of Amleth actually inspired OG Hamlet, but we've seen so many "Hamlets" by now... Broad spoilers below:

-Berzerker attack on peasant village: awesome and uncompromising. Unless I missed it, there was nothing to make our "hero" redeeming here. Another movie would've injected a scene where he helps the village children escape or something, but Amleth's fully onboard with the raiding, murder, slaving, etc.

-Scene where you find out just how crazy Amleth's mother is: awesome acting; disturbing. You go from thinking of her like Amleth did, to understanding and sympathizing with her plight, to absolutely hating her power-hungry manipulating ways in the course of a few minutes. Dare I say, a masterful scene.

-Any scene with Anya Taylor-Joy: more good acting and screen presence. There's a reason she's getting lots of work.

-Cricket/rugby/American football-type sport scene: awesome and entertaining. Loved seeing the prince naively thinking he could hang with the big boys and getting hit with a hard dose of reality.

-Sword through the nose: had to rewind to make sure I actually saw what I just saw.

-Volcano scene: awesome. Not a Hollywood ending, but it was a happy ending for our protagonist. He got what he had been trying to achieve.

-Holy crap, Amleth's actor was like 45 years old. Could pass for mid-20s.

-Sorry to say this, but Nicole Kidman's cosmetic work was a little distracting being surrounded by all the gritty, grimy supporting characters. It kind of breaks my heart that so many people are scared to age naturally.

The majority of the time, I had difficulty staying engaged. While I think it was brave to make Amleth driven by goals somewhat unique to Viking culture, and for the characters, dialogue, theming to be immersively of the time period, I found it ultimately a little alienating. Don't know if there's a way to avoid that as it comes with the intent of the film, imo.

Still, Robert Eggers is the man. Nobody does uncomprising period pieces like he does. He presents the characters as they'd probably be, without rewriting them like they're modern-day time travelers, and it's surprisingly refreshing. I hope he gets to make whatever he wants for the rest of his life.
I love everything he does. The Northman was excellent. But I hope he goes back to horror for his next film. I hope he gets to make that Nosferatu Remake

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Thoroughbreds
Little indie black comedy about two weird girls trying to get along, which I really enjoyed, loved the dialogue and the dry, almost sterile atmosphere. Better than I was expecting.

html_invite-revision-e1527589226429.jpg

The Beasts
Based on a true story of a French couple coming into conflict with local Spanish farmers, with some far reaching results. Very good stuff, showing how ugly humanity can get over a fistful of change.

Victoria
This is a touted German movie that's especially known for the fact that it was done in a single take. While technically impressive, the characters are super annoying, the lead makes the dumbest decisions possible, and the story is bullshit. Don't get the high ratings for this, I thought it was shit.

victoria.jpg

Plane
So stupid. Also so much fun :D

OIP.FdwayeGmQ3pk6UgilL-76AHaD4

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Electric Dreams (1984)

iQzMN8U.jpg

This was probably pretty fascinating back in the day, now it kind of feels like a cult classic that never quite gained traction. None of the actors are terribly good and the score is boring, but the story is goofy in an endearing way, and it's all just so wonderfully 80's.

In movie related news:

I might bid on a few things, but like most of these auctions rich Hollywood people are probably going to be bidding on the best stuff.

Andyliini

Creed: The Legacy of Rocky
Originally watched this in theaters in 2016, but have not rewatched it since. Now in anticipation of Creed III, I decided to give this another go and it was a fun watch, with fine direction and actor work. It was obviously cheaply, done witch is good in my books, as Hollywood has a real problem with budgets these days. It's also quite traditional film, with very little CGI or other special effects, especially in 2016 when those and 3D and such were still a massive thing. Of course, I like those kinds of films as well, but I found this one to be quite charming in it's own right. I only had one problem, almost all the music was hip hop, not really a fan. Don't these guys listen to anything else?

Fools idol

Banned
watched Salem's Lot tonight with my other half.

Goddamn, I had forgotten how creepy this film is. She had never seen it before, and is quite a wuss when it comes to horror... the scene where the kid is at the window creeped me out just as much as it did the first time I saw it but my other half all but crapped her pants 🤣🤣🤣

10/10 classic.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Now You See Me (2013) and Now You See Me 2 (2016)

These both popped up on Tubi for me. The first is a fun movie, though the relentlessly cheerful vibe and kind of sentimental nods towards magic felt a little weird. The story is pretty cool if predictable, though. The cast all have good chemistry.

Part 2 drops some of the cheerfulness and sentimentality, but not completely. It leans more into the heist-like nature of the first film.

I liked them. I kind of wish I hadn't ignored them when they were in theaters years back, they feel like they would have given off fun energy seeing with an audience opening night.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Now You See Me (2013) and Now You See Me 2 (2016)

These both popped up on Tubi for me. The first is a fun movie, though the relentlessly cheerful vibe and kind of sentimental nods towards magic felt a little weird. The story is pretty cool if predictable, though. The cast all have good chemistry.

Part 2 drops some of the cheerfulness and sentimentality, but not completely. It leans more into the heist-like nature of the first film.

I liked them. I kind of wish I hadn't ignored them when they were in theaters years back, they feel like they would have given off fun energy seeing with an audience opening night.
Shame on you bro

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Infinity Pool

Not sure about this one, started out promising but the whole premise is a bit too out there even for me, and the characters are super annoying, which I guess is the point but we still need to watch them for two hours. Some psychotronic scenes that are cool, but not as cool as, say, Neon Demon. Probably my least favourite Brandon Cronenberg movie, but it was till better than his father's most recent offering.

Infinity%20Pool_Beach_MiaAlexander_courtesyofNEONTopic.jpeg

Sharper

I found this a very entertaining watch, maybe a twist too many but I liked how the movie revealed them and how it kept me guessing. Nothing deep or arty, but good fun.

OIP.UUgIcVSwLspnzmD5172OwAHaEK

Knock at the Cabin

Ridiculous waste of time, so I guess this was vintage Shyamalan. There is no twist this time, just a whole movie that doesn't make sense.

th

The Whale

Brendan Frasier was pretty good in this, but I'm not convinced of the acting chops of that Stranger Things girl playing the angry daughter, and it just wasn't very interesting plot-wise or artistically. Probably my least favourite Aronofsky.

MV5BN2ExM2NlZjMtYWYwZi00NTNkLThkOWYtNGJlOThlNmE5YzVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQVRoaXJkUGFydHlJbmdlc3Rpb25Xb3JrZmxvdw@@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Trumbo again.

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-05%20at%202.40.00%20PM.png

Just such a human story. It always touches me. No matter what your walk of life is, it's probably something everyone can identify with.

I need to watch this someday. You're like the tenth person to tell me it's a great film. I just know the sad true story behind it so I keep avoiding it.

GeekyDad

I need to watch this someday. You're like the tenth person to tell me it's a great film. I just know the sad true story behind it so I keep avoiding it.
It's...I don't know. I can't say it was a sad experience for me, really. It's very human, though, very identifiable. I guess because I also have three children, and they kinda grew up in similar circumstances. Not socially, of course, but financially. There were times when they were growing up when it was "all hands on deck." We had to work together to keep the ship afloat, so to speak. And my stress, and my wife's stress, and my kids having to endure all of it. Well, this movie touches me, as I'm sure it will a lot of parents and families.

AJUMP23

Knock on the cabin door.
figured out the plot in 5 minutes. Forgettable at best.

ant man quantaniun
better than I thought. Forgettable. And a green screen overkill. I think they used the volume for some of this movie and you can really tell. CG is getting worse.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Knock on the cabin door.
figured out the plot in 5 minutes. Forgettable at best.

Yea, they telegraphed things pretty hard there in the opening minutes. We watched it tonight as well, playing at the theater that serves beer. Good thing the beer, because the movie was iffy.

Andyliini

Creed II

The better of the two Creed-films, this ups it's predecessor in almost every way, including bigger fight scenes, better direction, less hip-hop and some nostalgia baits as well. It's a well written and developed drama films, that even non-sport people like me can enjoy. Hope Creed III will continue with it's quality.

GeekyDad

Creed II

The better of the two Creed-films, this ups it's predecessor in almost every way, including bigger fight scenes, better direction, less hip-hop and some nostalgia baits as well. It's a well written and developed drama films, that even non-sport people like me can enjoy. Hope Creed III will continue with it's quality.
I haven't watched the first (it's Rocky-related, right?). Do I need to watch the first film for context, or do you think II would stand on its own okay?

Andyliini

I haven't watched the first (it's Rocky-related, right?). Do I need to watch the first film for context, or do you think II would stand on its own okay?
Rocky appears in both of these. The movie itself is standalone, but Creed's and Rocky's characters and relationship are built in the first film, so I would advise to watch that first. If it's not available for you, then it's possible to jump directly to the second one, but the movie clearly expects the viewer to already know the characters.

GeekyDad

Rocky appears in both of these. The movie itself is standalone, but Creed's and Rocky's characters and relationship are built in the first film, so I would advise to watch that first. If it's not available for you, then it's possible to jump directly to the second one, but the movie clearly expects the viewer to already know the characters.
Will do that, then. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom