• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ms. Marvel I OT I How does it feel? Cosmic!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I just saw the first Episode of Ms. Marvel... They change the powers but that's not, so far, the crux of the show. It's focused on WHO she is as a person still finding themselves ... With their head firmly in the clouds in imagination nation.

And relatability? I can relate to her as the weirdo in HS, as someone who has an awesome big brother, as someone who has a parent who is protective and means well and loves you even when you disappointed them.

It's really good! Quite different than the other shows!
m7rd3gX.jpg

Last edited:
I just saw the first Episode of Ms. Marvel... They change the powers but that's not, so far, the crux of the show. It's focused on WHO she is as a person still finding themselves ... With their head firmly in the clouds in imagination nation.

And relatability? I can relate to her as the weirdo in HS, as someone who has an awesome big brother, as someone who has a parent who is protective and means well and loves you even when you disappointed them.

It's really good! Quite different than the other shows!
m7rd3gX.jpg
I watched the first episode but I find this show kind of cringe. I know it's not aimed at me but some of the jokes didn't land. I was bored watching it

Ulysses 31

"... And I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that!"

Allah is the same God that Abraham prayed to. I really hate how people think it's a different deity.
Allah has no son. That makes him pretty different from the Christian God.

And it would be blaspheme to say he did to a devout Muslim.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Allah has no son. That makes him pretty different from the Christian God.

And it would be blaspheme to say he did to a devout Muslim.

I didn't say Christian. I said Abraham prayed to him. Jews pray to the same God and they don't recognize that Jesus is his son either.

*Picard facepalm gif*

I didn't say Christian. I said Abraham prayed to him. Jews pray to the same God and they don't recognize that Jesus is his son either.

*Picard facepalm gif*
Huh, interesting. I grew up thinking that Yahweh/Jehovah (from Judaism), God the Father (from the Christian New Testament), and Allah (from Islam) were just three different names for the same exact deity.

the_more_you_know.gif

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Huh, interesting. I grew up thinking that Yahweh/Jehovah (from Judaism), God the Father (from the Christian New Testament), and Allah (from Islam) were just three different names for the same exact deity.

the_more_you_know.gif

Yes. That's what I was saying. Yahweh/Jehovah is God, the Father. Allah means "most High" which is what he's ALSO called in Christendom and Jehovah's Witnesses.

Ulysses 31

How do you get that from what I said? They're all the same God. Not different ones.
Each religion makes incompatible claims of that God which makes that impossible.

One version had a son, the others didn't, that alone makes it impossible that it was the same God for all Abrahamic religions.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Anyway... I'm really looking forward to the next episode.

I love how even though you see the trappings of her culture and religion, she's a regular American teen. I didn't have real friends growing up but everything else is spot on. I was a huge dreamer as a teen.

sol_bad

Wife and I really enjoyed the first ep. Based on what we've seen so far it's my second favourite MCU show. I really liked how the episode let us really get to know Kamalah, it felt really refreshing as most of these shows don't have this down time.

I also love the colour grading and all the animations, very nice visual style and some interesting camera shots/movements.

Doom85

And they're both clearly wrong when Thor exists.

Not to mention the Egyptian gods and soon the Greek gods.

Obviously, that doesn’t mean anyone has to abandon their faith, just alter the specifics somewhat (for example, lord knows Christianity is no stranger to this due to all the different translations and specific beliefs altering due to scientific progress and so forth). In fact, in DC Comics, the mother of Cassie Sandmark (second Wonder Girl) is Christian but maintains her faith despite literally sleeping with Zeus.

And for those trying to stereotype Steve Rogers as some close-minded Bible thumper, he showed full support of a gay man trying to get into dating in Avengers: Endgame. Maybe look towards Steve as an example of having beliefs but not using that as an excuse to mock or attack others.

Anyway, leave it to a specific portion of Gaf to as soon as this show’s OT popped up to run forward with a bunch of edgelord jabs at the lead’s beliefs. Plenty of other elements to this character and series, but nope of course that’s all they can focus on. Like moths to a flame, they just can’t help themselves.

Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons

Not to mention the Egyptian gods and soon the Greek gods.

Obviously, that doesn’t mean anyone has to abandon their faith, just alter the specifics somewhat (for example, lord knows Christianity is no stranger to this due to all the different translations and specific beliefs altering due to scientific progress and so forth). In fact, in DC Comics, the mother of Cassie Sandmark (second Wonder Girl) is Christian but maintains her faith despite literally sleeping with Zeus.

And for those trying to stereotype Steve Rogers as some close-minded Bible thumper, he showed full support of a gay man trying to get into dating in Avengers: Endgame. Maybe look towards Steve as an example of having beliefs but not using that as an excuse to mock or attack others.

Anyway, leave it to a specific portion of Gaf to as soon as this show’s OT popped up to run forward with a bunch of edgelord jabs at the lead’s beliefs. Plenty of other elements to this character and series, but nope of course that’s all they can focus on. Like moths to a flame, they just can’t help themselves.

Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons
I have issues with the show but it has nothing to do with her being a Muslim girl.

As for those edgelords I wonder if the girl was a Christian would they still shit on the show 😆

Marvel promoting a retarded dogmatic belief system known for its abysmal treatment of women, intolerant traditions and barbaric practices in order to tap into this religious focus group for financial gain, is what one would expect from today's greedy corporatism. Watching the braindead consumer zombies and conditioned Marvel fanboys applauding this crap, is also par for the course.

Last edited:
I just saw the first Episode of Ms. Marvel... They change the powers but that's not, so far, the crux of the show.
I think I'm familiar with her somewhat Mr Fantastic-like original powers. What new powers did they give her instead for this version?

As for her faith, I'm glad to see Hollywood paying any attention or respect to religion. It can be an interesting aspect to a character who is blessed with super powers and has to decide how to use them responsibly.

I think I'm familiar with her somewhat Mr Fantastic-like original powers. What new powers did they give her instead for this version?

As for her faith, I'm glad to see Hollywood paying any attention or respect to religion. It can be an interesting aspect to a character who is blessed with super powers and has to decide how to use them responsibly.
I find it interesting how people are taking digs at her religion when shows like Daredevil they are fine with Matt Murdock being a religious Catholic and scenes of him taking confession.

Last edited:
I find it interesting how people are taking digs at her religion when shows like Daredevil they are fine with Matt Murdock and scenes of him taking confession.
Pretty much. If hers was the only religion represented in all of Marvel, then I might feel differently, and Marvel might look a bit hypocritical. But yeah, that doesn't seem to be the case here.

sol_bad

Marvel promoting a retarded dogmatic belief system known for its abysmal treatment of women, intolerant traditions and barbaric practices in order to tap into this religious focus group for financial gain, is what one would expect from today's greedy corporatism. Watching the braindead consumer zombies and conditioned Marvel fanboys applauding this crap, is also par for the course.

You do realise that muslims exist in real life and they live in many countries? Are you trying to say they shouldn't exist at all in reality? We should try and erase them and pretend they don't exist?

ManaByte

Gold Member

In the comics Kamala is an Inhuman who developed the power to pull matter from her other selves in the multiverse to change her size. She struggled with her body image before becoming an Inhuman so her powers added to that part of her characters.

The change in the MCU is incredibly stupid. They basically made her Green Lantern who can make purple light constructs, and the whole reason they did it was so that she could fit in better with Captain Marvel and Photon in the Marvels movie coming out. It's brain dead stupid.

In the comics Kamala is an Inhuman who developed the power to pull matter from her other selves in the multiverse to change her size. She struggled with her body image before becoming an Inhuman so her powers added to that part of her characters.

The change in the MCU is incredibly stupid. They basically made her Green Lantern who can make purple light constructs, and the whole reason they did it was so that she could fit in better with Captain Marvel and Photon in the Marvels movie coming out. It's brain dead stupid.
I think that the Terrigen mist is gonna to happen later on in the MCU. So I think she will get those stretchy powers later on. Marvel Studios was wondering what the reaction to Black Bolt would be. I think due to the positive reception we are getting more Inhumans and Terrigan Mist sooner rather than later

I hope they keep the same actor for Black Bolt. He was great. That costume especially was fantastic

Last edited:

Doom85

You do realise that muslims exist in real life and they live in many countries? Are you trying to say they shouldn't exist at all in reality? We should try and erase them and pretend they don't exist?

Not to mention the sexism angle. Ignoring the fact that not all Muslims practice their beliefs exactly the same, why would anyone with a functioning brain think that a TEENAGE GIRL would be doing anything sexist towards women?

And the whole barbaric angle, for fucks’ sake. Select Christians committed atrocities in the past and sadly a few still do to this day (anyone remember what happened to a certain Planned Parenthood clinic, anyone?) But obviously it would be unfair to judge tons of innocent Christians who had nothing to do with that shit.

I’m not trying to put the Muslim religion on a pedestal. The beliefs do have some significant flaws IMHO. But, that doesn’t dehumanize all the people who practice it. And Kamala is just a teen trying to do the right thing, find her place in the world, and deal with the pressures of life. If one can look at and see not a fellow human being but just a bunch of discriminatory stereotypes in their mind, that’s just depressing.

Ulysses 31

You do realize Islam(the belief system) is not the same as Muslim(the followers of that belief), right? Islam also has like 72 sects with Sunni being the biggest one.

I haven't watched the show yet but if it makes statements like Islam is a religion of peace, tolerance and 100% accepting of LGBT and non believers then that would raise some questions.

sol_bad

You do realize Islam(the belief system) is not the same as Muslim(the followers of that belief), right? Islam also has like 72 sects with Sunni being the biggest one.

I haven't watched the show yet but if it makes statements like Islam is a religion of peace, tolerance and 100% accepting of LGBT and non believers then that would raise some questions.

Go and watch your 5 hour "critic" review before commenting.

Not to mention the sexism angle. Ignoring the fact that not all Muslims practice their beliefs exactly the same, why would anyone with a functioning brain think that a TEENAGE GIRL would be doing anything sexist towards women?

And the whole barbaric angle, for fucks’ sake. Select Christians committed atrocities in the past and sadly a few still do to this day (anyone remember what happened to a certain Planned Parenthood clinic, anyone?) But obviously it would be unfair to judge tons of innocent Christians who had nothing to do with that shit.

I’m not trying to put the Muslim religion on a pedestal. The beliefs do have some significant flaws IMHO. But, that doesn’t dehumanize all the people who practice it. And Kamala is just a teen trying to do the right thing, find her place in the world, and deal with the pressures of life. If one can look at and see not a fellow human being but just a bunch of discriminatory stereotypes in their mind, that’s just depressing.
I rolled my eyes at the Barbaric term he threw out. I was seriously dude? As if the Christian religion is any better. At least I don't stereotype anyone based off their religion.

Last edited:
Who exactly is the target audience? As someone who knows absolutely nothing about this character.

It has a very young teen vibe to it. Lot of adult fans are going to be iffy on it or turned off by a young teen girl series. This is the biggest case of not for everyone probably of any Marvel series or movie as it does feel very much made to appeal to a different demo

Last edited:
Top Bottom