• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MTV Presents: The Next Generation of Xbox Revealed | Xbox 360 Whinging Thread

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
VALIS said:
Some of it looked good and some (PD0, 'natch) looked bad. It will be the case for PS3 and Rev, too - some games will barely look different from the last generation. I would think everyone knows this already, but I guess not. I really have to wonder what people are expecting out of the next gen (and I'm talking about all three). Graphics will be a bit less jaggy, a little more detailed and a little more lifelike. They won't look like three dimensional ice cream vaginas, for fucks sake.

Is this the first attempt at DC in this thread?

tetsuoxb

Jesus that was underwhelming.

Microsoft has got to be cursing themselves for staking their launch on a stack of games from Rare.

It probably would have helped if they showed more than like 2 minutes of game footage and more than 5 seconds of footage from each game other than PD0. Even if Gears of War looked amazing, everyone will focus on the extremely disappointing PD0.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
O M G !!!!!

That was horrible, beyond my worst possible imagination. Everything looked like it belonged in the current generation. Tony Hawk and PD0 were utter jokes. I don't know why they highlight those games.

The games that looked decent were Gears of War, Ghost Recon 3, PGR3, NFS Most Wanted and Madden. Both NFS and Madden were not gameplay shots and likely renders. GoW and GR3 had obvious framerate problems. Nothing at all gave off a that "Wow factor."

This has got to down as one of the biggest blunders in all of gaming. Seriously, I predict some major delays for this console.

This has got me worried about the next-gen. If Sony and Nintendo are supposedly only a little more powerful and look like this crap, I won't bother with next-gen until I have no choice. If all that's being offered is marginally prettier games, I won't bother. It's not worth the money.

Also, to all those A-holes who pretended like they had seen PD0 and were giving winks and crap, acting like it was going to be awesome.... I HATE YOU!!!!!!

Wait a minute, was there no mention of backward compatibility; or was I too busy making my sandwich ignoring the Top-40 white rockers of the week?

Microsoft = The New Sega :lol

VALIS

DarienA said:
Is this the first attempt at DC in this thread?

Exactly what is damage control about my opinion of "some of it looked good and some of it looked like shit"? Anyone with half a brain long ago knew the show itself would be a tacky celebrity suckfest and it was. So, what are we talking about then, the games? PD0 does NOT look good. Or, I should say, it does not look like what we'd hope a next gen game looks like. The other games were about 5 second clips of varying quality. The whole show left me unmoved in either direction. PD0 is a disappointment at this stage, yet some of the details on the console itself are pretty sweet. Damage control? Just being even handed, ace.

Hey everyone, ya better hop in line and say the Xbox 360 is going to be the fucking Hindenburg of video games before Darien accuses you of damage control.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
OK we know that sucked...

THe question I have is..what were they thinking? What was the reasoning behind blowing your load, and a very weak load, before e3? This has to be one of the biggest blunders ever. If you have a shitty e3 nobody really cares except us hardcore peeps, but jesus fucking up on national TV is really retarded.

McPhineas

From one of the locked threads:

Smiles and Cries said:
Yeah, that Gamecube handle was cool too phuck the hators

I would like to point out for posterity's sake that neither customizable faceplates nor system handles are, in actuality, cool.

However, what Microsoft ought to do is require the presence of the faceplate in order to turn the sytem on, as a theft deterrent. That way people could be super-cool and carry their customized, goosed-out faceplates around with them all the time to pick up chicks. Maybe they could even sell faceplate chains!

Kamtendo

Neo Member
Geez, I don't think it's even possible to be more disappointed than I was after watching this crap. The show itself was garbage(as expected from MTV), but PD0 really let me down. I'm not even close to impressed. Rare has really fallen off. I really hope for MS's sake that they are holding back some greatness for E3. For now, I'm bailing out of the 360 bandwagon.

Not a big enough leap. I dont see why MS expects people to rush out and buy Xbox 360 for the great new Xbox Live features. The Xbox Live marketplace is not as exciting as they're trying to make it out to be.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Sathsquatch said:
Did I hear right when they said that each character in PD0 only has 5,000 polys? Leon in Resident Evil 4 alone has 7,000 or so, and he looked like he had better texturing. In fact, all the enviroments looked almost untextured. What have they been doing for 4 years?
Counting thier money.

Wraith

Microsoft'd better have 50 naked booth babes pillow fighting at E3. Although even that would do little to mitigate my current anger. OMGWTFBBQ!

gamefan

I wrote this in another thread but since is the "official" reaction thread

Before everyone writes off the XBOX360 remember that...

1. Incomplete hardware...lets wait unti the system is finished and the games are running off of the final hardware

2. Still 6 months before launch...a lot of time to polish the games

3. The next generation of games are meant to be viewed on a HDTV, without one you will not see the extra detail, etc... what we watched tonight was not a true representation of how the games will look on a good tv

I wasn't really impressed with MTV showing for the most part but I will wait to draw my conclusions as the launch of the system gets closer.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
ANY game looks better in HDTV. Haven't you guys seen how much better OoT and MM look emulated?

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
What I don't understand is how some games looked awesome (GR3 especially) and some (Tiger Woods, WTF???) looked almost exactly like current X Box games.

WTF???????????

gamefan said:

1. Incomplete hardware...lets wait unti the system is finished and the games are running off of the final hardware

3. The next generation of games are meant to be viewed on a HDTV, without one you will not see the extra detail, etc... what we watched tonight was not a true representation of how the games will look on a good tv

I wasn't really impressed with MTV showing for the most part but I will wait to draw my conclusions as the launch of the system gets closer.

:lol

Xbox 360's slogan:

"We've got no BC, give us your DC" :lol

Uter said:
If only we had posters with Yamauchi quality opinions and information, both on gaming and.....love hotels.

Heck, I'd pay for that level of ambition and confidence through the Live Marketplace.

I really was disappointed with this show though. The Halo 2 special last year was pretty decent, all things considered. It had the celebrities and "cool" factor and a musical performance and all the stuff you expect from MTV, but it also had content geared towards gamers. There were interviews with the focus actually on the interviewee and good game footage, with sound and full screen video.

I can see the reasoning behind not giving everyone a really good look at the games if they are as unpolished as they seem to be, but from my end where I'm really interested in getting a handle on what is exactly new with all this stuff, I would have been happy with 30 minutes of 15 fps Perfect Dark footage, trying to ID all the new gameplay elements (Jetpack! Skeletons/XRays!). Instead we now know that characters consist of 5000 polygons. Woo.

I wasn't the target audience, which is understandable, but the show still disappointed me.

Before this special, I was going to get an X360 on day one for PGR3. After this special, my interest in this machine is low. In fact, I might even skip X360 altogether and anticipate PS3 and Revolution more.

Well done, Microsoft. Well done.

Even if it is months before release, they could and should have done a better job.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
That was horrible. And even if those games weren't choppy, this sort of gaming is a dead end. Thanks for highlighting it in such "hipness" Microsoft. Fuck all.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
shantyman said:
What I don't understand is how some games looked awesome (GR3 especially) and some (Tiger Woods, WTF???) looked almost exactly like current X Box games.

WTF???????????

Its not that complicated, some developers tried, others didnt.

Drakken

Wow, that was perhaps the most painful 30 minutes of TV I've ever watched in my life. I'm like, scarred now from having to see what MTV is like (considering I don't watch much TV and never watch MTV).

It was a horrible show. Oh well, at least we learned a few facts about PD0.

Xenon

What I've learned from the MTV 360 tv debut

1. Gaming personalities = oxymoron

2. The Saturn minds eye campaign wasn't really that bad

3. RARE sucks

4. Having scripted clips of the games play behind the killers isn't as interesting as a random light show.

5. Microsoft will never ever ever ever.... be cool.

6. Never let the yahoos from pimp my ride near my electronic equipment.

7. Attractive girl gamer does not always equal "hot"

8. Burger King is the true winner here.

9. I fear for MS @ E3

10. 360 is just one letter different than 3D0

And the saddest thing of all..... more people were probably watching The Apprentice pimp Sony Playstation in the EA Fight Night contest. What a fucking joke!

Madrin

What was that quote from a couple of weeks ago about PD0 being like an updated version of TimeSplitters? Yeah, maybe we should pay more attention to statements like that.

What was that war game they showed? Was it Call of Duty? Whatever it was, it literally looked like an N64. That was the only truly hideous game.

EDIT: I retract that statement. I just downloaded a video of CoD 2 and it looks just fine. Must have been something with my TV.

daegan

gamefan said:

1. No, obviously you shouldn't put it in a box if it's not set; all indications are that everything is 100% good to go

2. Again, no, launch titles, to be glorious, should be in the home stretch now and be looking for bug-squashing and polish and manufacturing. We shouldn't be seeing renders of Madden and PGR3 and NFS at this point.

3. You must be joking. God of War looks awesome on my old tv that I have to use an RF for, let alone my HD set in the living room. If they looked good, they'd LOOK GOOD.

I'm a huge gadget nerd - I bought my PSP basically for ONE game (WipeOut)...it would only take one game to get me all kinds of hyped on a new system. The capabilities and front-end are there on the system, but right now, there just aren't any games...

Then again, PS2 had no games at launch I wanted besides SSX. So hey, we'll see. But I'm not holding my breath.

1) That was Microsoft's fault. If they weren't ready, they shouldn't have done this show. So a game like PD0 will look 10x better on final hardware? Unlikely. If these games are made for these development kits, nothing is going to change except slowdown.

2) Its less than six months. They got to wrap these babies up a month or so before launch to start making them. I'd say 4 months, 5 tops. Not a whole lot. Maybe E3 builds will be better but will it really?

3) Most gamers aren't going to own a HDTV. I'm a college student. I sure as fuck can't afford a $800-1200 HDTV and neither will 99% of gamers. If HDTVs are needed, then even more reason to look forward to Rev and PS3.

We're all making rash judgments but also, this was supposed to be a show to wow gamers. It did not.

I am currently flipping back and forth between MTV and The Apprentice:

Apprentice: Donald's playing Fight Night Round 2 at a Sony/Best Buy/EA event.

MTV: Chick pulls out the 360, then The Killers

FIGHT!

rastex

Banned
daegan said:
2. Again, no, launch titles, to be glorious, should be in the home stretch now and be looking for bug-squashing and polish and manufacturing. We shouldn't be seeing renders of Madden and PGR3 and NFS at this point.

I'm a huge gadget nerd -

But you know absolutely nothing about game development. Bug squashing will happen about 3 months before ship date, polish will get introduced a month and a half after that (only for some titles) and then there's a month of certification the game has to go through. Seriously, you have no idea how much can change in even a week, especially at this point of the dev.

Gek54

You also have to consider how soon into development did they create the demo. Several of the magazine demos were vastly improved when the final game was released about a month later. SSX3 demo was running at sub 30fps. That said I still doubt Rare will come through by launch. Ubisoft on the other hand WOW.

explodet

As a Canadian, I feel the amount of airtime CTV is giving to advertise this special is frankly, frightening. The contest may have something to do with it, though.

The fact that they mentioned this special on the local news put a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. But I feel that every time I feel they put ads on the local news.

And what does this band performing have to do with the Xbox 360?

rastex

Banned
The Experiment said:
We're all making rash judgments but also, this was supposed to be a show to wow gamers. It did not.

No it wasn't. I don't know what this abortion was supposed to be, but putting it on MTV made sure the last thing was going to be for gamers. Dreamcast2 indeed, I think it's the Peter Moore effect.

I like The Killers though :)

Cathcart

rastex said:
But you know absolutely nothing about game development. Bug squashing will happen about 3 months before ship date, polish will get introduced a month and a half after that (only for some titles) and then there's a month of certification the game has to go through. Seriously, you have no idea how much can change in even a week, especially at this point of the dev.
Someone with Photoshop, quick, we need a picture of how bad PD0 must have looked last week if seven days really make that much of a difference.

More like Xbox 1.2 AMIRITE LOL!

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
The thing that blows my mind is that on paper, the X360 is some seriously powerful hardware. With those SPECs there's absolutely no reason we shouldn't be seeing games of higher visual quality considering a November launch is planned.

This leads me to a few conclusions and observations:

1) Developers are struggling with the Alpha hardware (severely)

2) Some of these games have been put together extremely quickly (<6 months) and it shows

3) The screenshots being released for many games look like marketing/PR renders for Xbox games. We all know when Xbox games are finally released, they always look considerably worse than the original hi-res renders. Maybe many of the screens are from actual in-game footage and not doctored in the usual way? (I know, why the fuck would they do that...)

#1 and #2 lead me to believe that MS is rushing the launch of the X360 and developers are simply not ready to show their games. The hardware is going to be fantastic, as will the Live! services, etc. but developers certainly haven't been able to extract that excellence yet.

VALIS

The Experiment said:
this was supposed to be a show to wow gamers. It did not.

This was supposed to be a show to alert casual and non gamers to the 360's existence. Or else gamers are really drawn to MTV, Elijah Wood and Pimp My Ride a hell of lot more than I ever imagined! Jesus. Some real deep thinkin' goin' on 'round heah.

"Aside from functioning as a just another on/off switch, the Xbox 360 power button is surrounded by a ring of colored light, divided into four quadrants. Depending on the individual game and programming by individual developers, these lights can be used to communicate certain info. For example, let's say you're playing Halo 3 splitscreen with three other friends and one of them gets an invite over Xbox Live — his quadrant of the circle could light up red as an alert. How the ring of light will work in practice with actual games remains to be seen. Since the Xbox 360 can stand vertically or rest on its side horizontally, an internal gyroscope sensor will let the machine know its orientation and adjust its circle of light quadrants accordingly."

Sounds cool. MS MEGATON! GYROS!

NotMSRP

"10. 360 is just one letter different than 3D0" :lol

God, the show is so terrible that I couldn't even bear to finish through it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I don't know if anyone else mentioned this earlier but MS would've been better off having G4's Icons do a show for the XBOX unveiling instead of what MTV aired. :lol

Top Bottom