• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My girl left me last night, but I'm not sure it's for good yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lem0n

Hi, GAF. I'm hoping that typing this out helps me figure out what's going to happen, so bare with me. I know it's only speculation and only she can really give me an answer, but I feel some of you out there must have experienced something like this?

I've been with my GF for almost 6 years. It has been excellent, nearly all of it. We met on OkCupid and have been in love since we met. Well, until now, I think.

About my GF- she's a pleaser. Always has been. She loves helping other people, trying to be everyone's crying shoulder. Always in a great mood. A real wonderful girl to be around. Problem is, she puts everyone else first. This includes confronting issues with herself, or working on herself. This becomes important a little later.

A little back story, on when the issues started popping up: back in November, I caught her Facebooking another guy. It was someone she worked with at the time. I confronted her about it, and told her I need 100% honesty right now. I believe I got just that, judging by the look in her eyes.. We talked, talked, and talked some more. I asked if she was getting something from texting and showing pictures to this guy. She said it was like the romantic novels she used to write as a young teen... it was all just fantasy and whatever she wasn't getting from me, she was getting via FB messenger. I chose to believe it because I know her and I know when she's telling me the absolute truth. She's a horrible liar. She dropped it like a bad habit, as far as I could tell. She only worked there a couple more weeks until she was actually laid off because of lack of work. January was the start of "slow season" and she had the least tenure there, so she was let go. We worked out the attention issues, and I've been, from what she tells me, a lot better since.

This hurt me, bad. Like, real bad. I was distraught for a little while before coming around. But, it left some bad stuff behind. I'm now pretty insecure, always wondering if I'm good enough, always wondering if she'll just talk to someone else. Always wondering if I'm just not the guy she fell in love with, or if she's the one who changed. This also becomes important.

A few weeks ago we had a long talk. There were issues that weren't being brought up, and I could tell. Unrelated to what I just talked about. She wasn't quite her typical self. We talked and talked... we came to the conclusion that I have some co-dependency issues and also I can be possessive. These came around, I thought, because of the issue back in November. Well, I have tried these past few weeks to notice when I'm slipping up or when I say things I probably shouldn't. I'm trying to do better by her. She said she's noticed a big difference just the other day, actually.

Well, fast forward to last night. She uses Zedge for ringtones/sounds etc, and has a very distinct noise for a text message, which she never does. She's one of those strictly Facebook messenger type people. I was on the couch playing Rainbow Six while she was up. This is where I fuck it up: I looked. Moment of weakness, I guess. I'm just still insecure about some things I guess. I pried and this is what pushed her over the edge I think.

I went into the bathroom where she was at the sink in the mirror, and asked her who it was she was talking to. She turned around, and was like "really?" I said, "yeah, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have looked at your texts." I implied it was someone like the person at her old job... blah blah blah... she gave me a look like I was out of line and being ridiculous. To be fair the texts all seemed harmless, but it was still odd to be speaking so personally with a person she just met at her new job 2 weeks ago. That's why I brought it up. They were talking like old friends, and it just struck me as weird. Anyways. We talked a bit, and she started crying. I asked her what's wrong, and she says, "I..... I just feel like I'm losing.... patience. I don't know" We spoke more and I was to the point where I'm not entirely sure she's even "in it" anymore, by the way she says some things. By it, I mean, the relationship. She starts talking about "how she's always so focused on helping other people. How she's always trying to stay happy to make me happy. How she can't keep doing that." After that, it came to "I feel like I'm changing as a person. I feel like I'm on autopilot. I can't be anymore. I can't not focus on me." Now, I totally get that. She has a hard time telling me things that might make me sad/mad/whatever because of her personality... being a pleaser. Another issue she brought up is that she's realizing, in the past few days, how many times my possessiveness and or control issue has affected our lives, our decisions, or whatever else. Like, from the past few years. How so many things now make sense.

We move to the bedroom to talk more.

We're sitting on the bed. She said that there's something about the few years of possessiveness that she just can't handle. Something that isn't sitting right. I said, "fair enough. I understand that." Then, I ask her if she's still in love with me. She immediately says, "Yes, I love you so so much, sweetheart". I said, ".... that isn't what I asked, hun" I then got a silence, teary eyes, and a look that says "I'm not sure". I didn't know what to say... I'm still kind of in shock. I then asked her if she was happy, and she said "yeah, but I can't keep trying to be happy for other people."She starts crying more. She said it's physically and mentally paining her to say this, but "I think I need some time, by myself, to work on me." I told her that was okay, and to take whatever time she needed to figure things out. The rest was kind of a blur, but we cried in eachothers arms a few times, and I said, "hun, if you have to go (to ****'s house, her best girl-friend), please do it. I don't want you to feel like you can't go to figure shit out. I don't want you to feel like it's not an option." She seemed relieved that I said that. It took her a second, but she said, "okay....... I guess I'll get a few things..... and head out." I said okay. I stood there as she packed 2 backpacks and got her laptop. On her way out to the car, I said, "how long until you want me to contact you?" She said, "one or two days, probably..." I helped her to the car, gave her a kiss, and said "if you need anything, call me. I'm here for you." She gave me a kiss again, said I love you, and got in the car. I went inside and she left.

Today, when I got home, I saw that she changed her FB password, because her account info was up on the home PC with her old info and said, "last changed 14 hours ago" Which would be like 2am last night. We have really similar profile pics so I just hit enter on the Facebook main page thinking it was going to log me in.

I'm expecting the worst, but hoping for the best. I know it's so hard to judge because every relationship is different, but believe me when I tell you, it's a special one. Everyone says how jealous they are of us, how cute we are, etc. I just didn't see this ever happening. Do you think that there's a chance she will think about it and come back? Or does it sound like she's probably had enough and is just afraid to tell me straight up?

Sorry for the wall of text, guys. I couldn't TL;DR this if I tried. Please be kind, I know I've fucked up here and there.

jb1234

I don't know whether it's over or not but I think this is the perfect time for you to work on your issues, preferably with a therapist.

Docpan

She's not in love with you anymore, dude. The spark isn't there and may never come back. Its best to end this now before she cheats on you, and it sounds like a good girl and has been holding herself back from making a mistake for a long time.

You're gonna have to cut contact. Sorry bro. I been down this road in both directions. It's almost never reversible even if you get back together later.

If your codependency issues burnt the house down, then you need to learn what not to do for next time.

goldenpp72

While reconciliation is usually possible, it doesn't seem good or healthy in this instance difficult as it might be :(

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Well no shit you'll have trust issues if she is messaging another person. And the, "It's online only and its things I'm not getting in this relationship". That would send anyone over the edge.

That line about hearkening back to romance writing sounds like bull, my trust would be shaken af too. Sorry op but this prob should have ended then and there. Time to move on.

Skeyser

That facebook guy fantasy thing looks really bad and you sealed your fate by looking at her phone and making a big deal out of random texts. Though it was probably over already.

lem0n

Fuck, this is all shit I didn't want to hear. But I guess I kind of expected it. Shit has been so good between us recently, and it's just out of nowhere. Maybe she just couldn't muster the courage to tell me anything.

Raist

Banned
She said it was like the romantic novels she used to write as a young teen... it was all just fantasy and whatever she wasn't getting from me, she was getting via FB messenger.

Hum, yeah, I think this is not gonna go anywhere.

params7

Banned
Cut all contact. Move on. To think anything is salvageable here is an illusion and you'll have to keep telling yourself that or you'll just learn it the hard way.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Its really tough to regain trust once you lose it. Regardless of what happens, you'll need to work on getting your self-confidence back.

Ok, so it's apparent you have strong feelings for her, but ever since that whole facebook ordeal, you've been miserable. For your sake, you should end this yourself. Life is too short for this, man. Find a partner you can trust. You'll be much happier in the long run.

It sounds like she's ready to move on with her life and doesn't see you as part of it. Not sure if it's your issues turning her off or if she's just no longer interested. You don't want to be with someone who won't honestly be there for you when your own problems begin to surface. Been there and done that myself recently. You say she's a people pleaser, she says she's a people pleaser.. yet she's not sticking around when you need support the most it sounds like. Show yourself you can move on. Everything else will fall into place if you do. She may want to come back once she sees it and she may not. It all depends on where she is, who she is and who she wants to be. It sounds like she has growing to do just the same as you do.

I just went through something very similar though man so I'm here if you need to talk about it. Therapy saved my life.

hal9001

Banned
Social media has fucked up relationships for our age. Sadly temptations like facebook means it's easier than ever to have "emotional affairs" with random people they barely know just because they are available at that time for them.

No trust in the relationship, it's over sadly

That's how it's feeling to me when I read it. I'm not saying their isn't a chance but it isn't looking too good either. The reason I say there is a chance is because they both at least seem to be handling things calmly and like adults instead of the normal dramabomb you tend to see in these situations. They both seem like good people but it just seems like they may have hit the end of the line. She's not feeling it and the trust is mutually gone.

I'm not going to be quick to tell OP to hit the gym or anything like the internet tends to rush into. But I will say that OP needs to prepare for the possibility because that's the direction it's pointing in at the moment.

lem0n

Thanks for the thoughts and replies everyone, I appreciate you reading that book I typed out.

It sounds like she's ready to move on with her life and doesn't see you as part of it. Not sure if it's your issues turning her off or if she's just no longer interested. You don't want to be with someone who won't honestly be there for you when your own problems begin to surface. Been there and done that myself recently. You say she's a people pleaser, she says she's a people pleaser.. yet she's not sticking around when you need support the most it sounds like. Show yourself you can move on. Everything else will fall into place if you do. She may want to come back once she sees it and she may not. It all depends on where she is, who she is and who she wants to be. It sounds like she has growing to do just the same as you do.

I just went through something very similar though man so I'm here if you need to talk about it. Therapy saved my life.

This hurts, man. But it hurts because I think you may be right. I don't really have my own set of problems right this minute, no more than anyone else anyways. Or maybe I do and I don't realize it? I dunno. But she's always there for me when I need it. Just right now she can't deal with being here.

We do both have growing to do, and I think she feels like she absolutely needs to and she's ready to leave me behind if that's the case.

Fuck, man.

That's how it's feeling to me when I read it. I'm not saying their isn't a chance but it isn't looking too good either. The reason I say there is a chance is because they both at least seem to be handling things calmly and like adults instead of the normal dramabomb you tend to see in these situations. They both seem like good people but it just seems like they may have hit the end of the line. She's not feeling it and the trust is mutually gone.

I'm not going to be quick to tell OP to hit the gym or anything like the internet tends to rush into. But I will say that OP needs to prepare for the possibility because that's the direction it's pointing in at the moment.

Thanks, we don't ever argue or get into big dramatic issues. We try to handle it like adults, for sure. No good comes from arguing.

Also, this is where I'm at, I think. I'm bracing.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
A little back story, on when the issues started popping up: back in November, I caught her Facebooking another guy. It was someone she worked with at the time. I confronted her about it, and told her I need 100% honesty right now. I believe I got just that, judging by the look in her eyes.. We talked, talked, and talked some more. I asked if she was getting something from texting and showing pictures to this guy. She said it was like the romantic novels she used to write as a young teen... it was all just fantasy and whatever she wasn't getting from me, she was getting via FB messenger.

So was it more than just this one guy then?

Also, how old are you both?

Thanks for the thoughts and replies everyone, I appreciate you reading that book I typed out.

This hurts, man. But it hurts because I think you may be right. I don't really have my own set of problems right this minute, no more than anyone else anyways. Or maybe I do and I don't realize it? I dunno. But she's always there for me when I need it. Just right now she can't deal with being here.

We do both have growing to do, and I think she feels like she absolutely needs to and she's ready to leave me behind if that's the case.

Fuck, man.

The real thing is she may not see you as someone she can grow with any longer. The codependency and trust issues probably make her feel that way. She poisoned the well with her actions on Facebook and every time you can't resist the urge to snoop you show her how little you trust her. The only way it could work from here is if you got help with your problems (codependency is a real fucker) and you guys started from an agreed clean slate. It's not impossible. But it starts with you. And even if you seeing to your problems doesn't catch her interest again you'll be ready to go with someone new after you get over this.

breakfuss

It's what you make of it. If not Facebook, people would use something else to kill their relationships (Snapchat, iMessage, Kik, whatever).

I'd like to know this too. Smells of teenage drama. It'll blow over OP, and you'll laugh about it down the line.

Well yeah social media in general can be perilous, but Facebook reigns supreme to them all. I've seen it all too often and experienced it myself.

I know it probably sucks to hear it, and maybe neither of you want it to happen, but I think you should break up with her. She wasn't facebooking some guy when you two fell in love, so clearly something has changed since then. And when something changes it doesn't change back.

ZeroX03

Banned
Fuck, this is all shit I didn't want to hear. But I guess I kind of expected it. Shit has been so good between us recently, and it's just out of nowhere. Maybe she just couldn't muster the courage to tell me anything.

Bingo.

Let it die. Be the rare flower that listens to GAF and moves on. Greener pastures that use better messaging apps are just around the corner.

finalflame

Gold Member
Well yeah social media in general can be perilous, but Facebook reigns supreme to them all. I've seen it all too often and experienced it myself.

Because facebook is used monthly by over 1 billion people, so naturally it has great reach and potential to be used for wrongdoing. I mean, if everyone you know is basically on Facebook, it becomes easy to use it to connect with people you're doing sneaky things with.

All i'm saying is the platform isn't inherently susceptible to destroying relationships, it just has such broad reach in our lives that it's easy to use it to cheat, deceive, lie, etc.

Bingo.

Let it die. Be the rare flower that listens to GAF and moves on. Greener pastures that use better messaging apps are just around the corner.

KM0UFPP.gif

I went into the bathroom where she was at the sink in the mirror, and asked her who it was she was talking to. She turned around, and was like "really?" I said, "yeah, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have looked at your texts." I implied it was someone like the person at her old job... blah blah blah... she gave me a look like I was out of line and being ridiculous. To be fair the texts all seemed harmless, but it was still odd to be speaking so personally with a person she just met at her new job 2 weeks ago. That's why I brought it up. They were talking like old friends, and it just struck me as weird. Anyways. We talked a bit, and she started crying. I asked her what's wrong, and she says, "I..... I just feel like I'm losing.... patience. I don't know"

Bail the fuck out. Don't even bother with her. She doesn't know what she wants at this point in her life.

You can do better.

Shadoron

First off, the relationship is over. And it sounds like it has been for a long time now.

Second, you need to take some time and figure out if your "possession" issues were caused because of this relationship, or if they have always been there. Obviously, only you truly know the answer to that. As a poster above me commented, your possessive attitude could have started from signs of mistrust. Regardless of what happens going forward, you will need to hit the reset button. When a new relationship happens, you can't start it off with trust issues right out the gate, or you will kill that relationship too. I guess my point is, don't be so quick to jump to the idea that you were the only reason this happened. You very well could have been, but there's usually more to the story. Certainly work on being a better person. And good luck on the breakup.

finalflame

Gold Member
Nope, this one guy was it. She insta-blocked him and he's been blocked ever since.

I'm 27, she's 25.

We're the same age. That's still not healthy. Really you gotta move on OP, this kind of stuff isn't going to do you any favors down the line.

I was in a toxic relationship for a long time. Same kind of trust issues, etc. Getting out of it has been the best thing I've ever done for myself, and for my ex-partner. Move on. Every fiber of your bring might be telling you that you don't want to right now, but be strong, and you'll be happier for it.

Keep us updated.

Yado

Her hearts not in it anymore and you don't trust her. Both of you know it's over but you don't want to admit it.

NawidA

Banned
She's 25 and she's been with you for six years. She wants to explore but not hurt your feelings.

Let her go and work on yourself and explore a bit on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom