• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My GPU kind of died, what are my options

A.Romero

So I got a MSI 2080 Super back in November 2019 before all the GPU market went to shit and have been enjoying it greatly. Last year around August the HDMI port stopped working. I'm in Mexico so warranty stuff tends to be a nightmare but finally MSI told me to go to the retailer where I got it. Thing is, by then GPU's were already sold out everywhere and if anything the store would offer me a partial refund (at retail prices of course). I decided to keep the card and just use the other ports.

Yesterday I received a new monitor and after plugging it in the GPU just stopped displaying video to any of the monitors I had connected (A sound receiver for my TV, a 10 year old BenQ monitor and the new one). After troubleshooting a couple of hours I had to accept that the GPU was just broken. Funny thing is that if I boot from the IGFX, I can use the computer normally and can even see the card installed without any warnings on the device manager or anything.

So, I know right now is the worst moment to get a GPU. I'm in Mexico too so I can go to an online retailer and get a 3070 for $2,000 USD but to be honest I'd like to avoid doing paying that kind of markup. It's just something I hadn't planned and it just seems wrong, basically a waste of money.

There are ways I can order online in the US and have it brought over here so US online retailers can be used.

I hope I don't have to wait until next year to get one. While I can still use my computer for work (office stuff) I'm really annoyed that I can't use my main gaming platform. Feels bad.

My questions are:

1) Can I sell the defective card considering it still renders (useful for mining and video rendering) just doesn't output video?
2) How can I get a GPU as close to retail price? Are there any watchlists or queues or anything like that?

I have never tried to get an item with so high demand so I'm pretty new to this.

Topher

Gold Member
Ah man. That sucks.

You may be better off looking for a prebuilt PC than just a GPU.

Here is a list of prebuilt being sold at Best Buy.

As of right now, there is an Alienware in stock with a 3080. It is $2200, but I'd rather buy that then give $2000 to a scalper.

Otherwise, nowinstock has a page for checking GPU in stock.

https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/

Also, EVGA has a wait list on their site.

If you click "auto notify me" and provide your email they will queue you up and email you when it is your turn. Granted, it could take weeks or months.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

One thing you might try is buying a prebuilt gaming machine and taking the GPU from that. Then sell the preconfigured PC for whatever you can without the GPU (or maybe with an older GPU that you have sitting around).

Would definitely require a higher initial investment, but the preconfigured systems are easier to get and typically aren't priced that bad.

Edit: Topher Topher stole my idea and posted it before me, that bastard.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
As others have said, buy preconfigured to rip the component out, or get in the card game. Sites like Stockinformer have alarms that go off when stock is detected, that's how I got my 3070, but I'm in the UK and have no idea how useful it is in Mexico/USA.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I've been doing the Newegg Shuffle contests to "win" a chance to buy a card or bundle at near MSRP. No success yet. I joined a discord, but the drops we're almost all Amazon and they were gone before you click.

Last edited:

Fbh

7s54yk04run31.jpg

A.Romero

Ah man. That sucks.

As of right now, there is an Alienware in stock with a 3080. It is $2200, but I'd rather buy that then give $2000 to a scalper.

If you click "auto notify me" and provide your email they will queue you up and email you when it is your turn. Granted, it could take weeks or months.

Hope this helps.

Great ideas! I'll check the pre-configured ones.

I'll sign up for that waiting list for sure. Even if I have to wait for a while, beats paying a scalper.

Thanks, man!

One thing you might try is buying a prebuilt gaming machine and taking the GPU from that. Then sell the preconfigured PC for whatever you can without the GPU (or maybe with an older GPU that you have sitting around).

Would definitely require a higher initial investment, but the preconfigured systems are easier to get and typically aren't priced that bad.

Edit: Topher Topher stole my idea and posted it before me, that bastard.

Thanks! Great minds think alike
I hadn't thought of the pre-built option. I think I can work something with that.

As others have said, buy preconfigured to rip the component out, or get in the card game. Sites like Stockinformer have alarms that go off when stock is detected, that's how I got my 3070, but I'm in the UK and have no idea how useful it is in Mexico/USA.
Thanks for the site! I'll check out. Hopefully it works here too.

I've been doing the Newegg Shuffle contests to "win" a chance to buy a card or bundle at near MSRP. No success yet. I joined a discord, but the drops we're almost all Amazon and they were gone before you click.

Didn't hear about this before, worth a try! Thanks.

Good idea too. I might be willing to let a kidney or a lung go for those sweet RTX graphics.

Use your IGFX to play all the 2D indie games and old 3D ames till the dust settles and GPU's get cheaper.

Yes, that will tide me over. I also have a PS4 and Uncharted Collection, Yakuza 6 and Days Gone on my backlog (I was hoping to play them on PC).

What do you think about selling the card for mining? Do you think there might be a market for that?

Topher

Gold Member
What do you think about selling the card for mining? Do you think there might be a market for that?

With the market like it is, I wouldn't be surprised if you get a good price on the card. Some hardware guys out there do nothing but buy defective stuff, fix it, and resell it.

Here is a defective 2080 Super that sold for $500 on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384052403603?hash=item596b4e9d93:g:mTIAAOSwfl1gUJpf&nma=true&si=3FX31hsBiUQOB7ZukbIs2oVxpmY%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Just be completely upfront about what is wrong with it.

Last edited:
If it's just the HDMI plug going out can you just use one of the Displayport sockets on the card and an active DP to HDMI adapter?

HDMI plugs are easily repairable, most mount with four anchor points soldered in place. Even I can fix things like that. For the cost of repairing vs current GPU pricing it might be worth getting it repaired locally depending on your location.

A.Romero

If it's just the HDMI plug going out can you just use one of the Displayport sockets on the card and an active DP to HDMI adapter?

HDMI plugs are easily repairable, most mount with four anchor points soldered in place. Even I can fix things like that. For the cost of repairing vs current GPU pricing it might be worth getting it repaired locally depending on your location.

Problem is that all 4 ports stopped working (3 DP and 1 HDMI). Maybe there is a circuit or something that controls the 4 ports.
kill yourself
Thanks for your valuable input.
With the market like it is, I wouldn't be surprised if you get a good price on the card. Some hardware guys out there do nothing but buy defective stuff, fix it, and resell it.

Here is a defective 2080 Super that sold for $500 on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384052403603?hash=item596b4e9d93:g:mTIAAOSwfl1gUJpf&nma=true&si=3FX31hsBiUQOB7ZukbIs2oVxpmY%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Just be completely upfront about what is wrong with it.
I'll do one more test (trying the card on a different computer) and put it up for sale. 500 USD would put me in a much better position to get a new one.

9 times out of 10 your GPU still works and the hdmi port simply blew out, (I've had this happen to a TV when I touched the antenna with wet hands, the hdmi ports blew out but the tv still worked via components cables)

is there a display port option available on ur GPU?

I'd buy a display port cord and test it out on your pc and monitor before splurging hundreds/thousands on a new GPU, and if ur monitor does not have a display port option the there should be hdmi to display port converters out there i'm assuming

also in the future be sure to buy a surge protector so things like this will be less likely to happen

edit, OMG, why are display port cables so expensive in mexico?

they're $6 in the U.S

Last edited:

A.Romero

Join the PlayStation FaMily.

I'm already part of the family (PS4). My PC library is just too large to drop.

9 times out of 10 your GPU still works and the hdmi port simply blew out, (I've had this happen to a TV when I touched the antenna with wet hands, the hdmi ports blew out but the tv still worked via components cables)

is there a display port option available on ur GPU?

I'd buy a display port cord and test it out on your pc and monitor before splurging hundreds/thousands on a new GPU, and if ur monitor does not have a display port option the there should be hdmi to display port converters out there i'm assuming

also in the future be sure to buy a surge protector so things like this will be less likely to happen

edit, OMG, why are display port cables so expensive in mexico?

they're $6 in the U.S

I don't know, I paid like 20 USD for one just recently. A lot of stuff is weirdly more expensive here. Soda is cheaper though (and drugs).

The problem is the 3 DP and the HDMI ports are not working. Tried different cables, different monitors (which work well on the IGFX).

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well you should go with EVGA next time, for the record. You probably would have had some warranty.

A.Romero

Well you should go with EVGA next time, for the record. You probably would have had some warranty.
Yes, I had one a long time ago and got to gift it once I upgraded. I think it's still working. Regretfully I try to buy locally and that reduces the options but I definitely won't be getting MSI again.

Honestly, I think it’s not that bad with a discord stock notification. Best Buy US is your best chance.
I signed up! Thanks a lot. This makes me feel hopeful.

Buggy Loop

I think 3080 are unicorns, better lower your expectations. Seems like they stopped the production to then make the low hash rate version and the repercussions are long lasting. 3070 & 3060 Ti drop more often. Scored a 3060 in Canada. We’re super limited in cards in Quebec because Best Buy only sells EVGA to us. It’s tough.

A.Romero

I think 3080 are unicorns, better lower your expectations. Seems like they stopped the production to then make the low hash rate version and the repercussions are long lasting. 3070 & 3060 Ti drop more often. Scored a 3060 in Canada. We’re super limited in cards in Quebec because Best Buy only sells EVGA to us. It’s tough.

Really? Do you think it's worth it to wait a couple of months for the new cards to come out?

I could go for a 3070 at retail price, though.

A.Romero

I've been thinking about getting one for a while, gamepass is a super deal. If getting my PC up and running again takes more than 2 months I'll probably jump in. Haven't really enjoyed an Xbox since the OG days but they have a really compelling offering right now.
1) Fall to the ground
2) Try not to cry
3) Weep uncontrollably

I'm sorry for your loss, I feel your pain.

I did feel kind of down yesterday. Just as if I had to spend money fixing my car after an accident or a major repair at home.

Buggy Loop

Really? Do you think it's worth it to wait a couple of months for the new cards to come out?

I could go for a 3070 at retail price, though.

I think 3080 Ti and new LHR 3080 should be dropping in coming weeks. If you aim for that, then yea, worth it.

Or you know, still try to score a 3070. What’s the worst that can happen if you score a 3070, and you are lucky again and score a 3080? You resell with profit

Make It Rain Money GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

MiguelItUp

There are a lot of great responses above, some troll posts, but hey.

If I were in your position I'd go prebuilt, for sure. A variety of prebuilt systems have the latest from the AMD and Nvidia series, and a lot of the time the pricing is decent. A HELL of a lot better than scalpers, of course.

It also feels like the most effortless path to take, aside from there potentially being a bit of a wait depending on the route you take.

Replace your GPU with an SSD. It can apparently render faster anyways. At least that's what GAF taught me.

You can mine on the GPU, go for it. Unless you can get some quick cash from a miner, which can offset a GPU price (only at msrp though). Doubt give your monies to the scalpers.

I'm already part of the family (PS4). My PC library is just too large to drop.

I don't know, I paid like 20 USD for one just recently. A lot of stuff is weirdly more expensive here. Soda is cheaper though (and drugs).

The problem is the 3 DP and the HDMI ports are not working. Tried different cables, different monitors (which work well on the IGFX).
yeah the display port guess was pretty much all i had, all out of ideas

just make sure u get a surge protector when u get a new one to avoid future situations like this

some static on your fingers probably blew something out when hooking up the new monitor, so always remember to touch metal objects to let whatever charge is stored up in your body out before you touch electronics

I've learned that the hard way

Last edited:

A.Romero

Replace your GPU with an SSD. It can apparently render faster anyways. At least that's what GAF taught me.

You can mine on the GPU, go for it. Unless you can get some quick cash from a miner, which can offset a GPU price (only at msrp though). Doubt give your monies to the scalpers.

I'm not really into mining but I'll consider it if I can't sell it. Power charges in my country change depending on how much you consume. After a while they categorize high consuming homes as businesses and the rate increases.

No money for scalpers ideally.

PhoenixTank

So, are you actually in warranty still with MSI? I don't know how much it differs over there, consumer rights & all that but the buck stops with them - you're out of the usual "go talk to your retailer" period now.
I know you said it will be painful to go through the process but trying to grab a card at anything near retail will suck too. You have an iGPU at least so you'll be able to use the system still.

Nothing stopping you from looking for GPUs in parallel with the above too.

1) Fall to the ground
2) Try not to cry
3) Weep uncontrollably

I'm sorry for your loss, I feel your pain.
AdiBPrO.jpg

Last edited:

A.Romero

So, are you actually in warranty still with MSI? I don't know how much it differs over there, consumer rights & all that but the buck stops with them - you're out of the usual "go talk to your retailer" period now.
I know you said it will be painful to go through the process but trying to grab a card at anything near retail will suck too. You have an iGPU at least so you'll be able to use the system still.

Nothing stopping you from looking for GPUs in parallel with the above too.

AdiBPrO.jpg

Regretfully I did go through the warranty process last year and that was their final answer (I had to open 2 tickets). I did get in touch with the retailer and they would have received the card but without stock they would have tried to reimburse me partially so I thought it wasn't a good ideas as GPU's were impossible to get (as much as it is now).

As of November 2020 the warranty period is over.

PhoenixTank

Regretfully I did go through the warranty process last year and that was their final answer (I had to open 2 tickets). I did get in touch with the retailer and they would have received the card but without stock they would have tried to reimburse me partially so I thought it wasn't a good ideas as GPU's were impossible to get (as much as it is now).

As of November 2020 the warranty period is over.
Ouch - had hoped maybe it was a 2 year warranty.
The market might be getting better with crypto & the LHR cards so maybe you'd want to hold on but nobody really knows for sure. Could be just as bad in 3 or 6 months.
Only signs of improvement I've seen is Zen 3 CPUs returning to stock at sane prices, but that doesn't match up exactly with GPUs & the production at a different foundry.
🤷‍♂️

Bit of a joke sometimes but is Newegg shuffle available to you? There are also discord bots/livestreams with stock drops.
Maybe open the card up & check for damage between the PCB & display output (or have someone do it for you)?

Rock & a hard place there fella. I've put off fitting a water cooling kit on my 1080Ti just because of this "Well fuck what do I do now" scenario if something goes wrong.
Good luck!

Anki

Banned
Why don’t you just buy some older used card, like gtx 970 and use it until gpu situation improves.

Ah man. That sucks.

Hope this helps.

I was on the waitlist for like 6 months, just got an email to buy a ftw3 ultra...

Sucks to be in your shoes, OP. Try fixing the card and selling it off to miners. Don't sell it as it is. At least investigate if you can fix it yourself, before selling it.

Also, Nvidia are announcing the 3070Ti and the 3080Ti LHR variants on May 31. Just hold out for a couple of more days to see if you can score one of these (unlikely, but still worth a try) maybe? The rumored prices are $999 for the 3080Ti and $599 for the 3070Ti.

can you post a detailed picture of the card specially close to the hdmi and nearby ic's ?

it can be a case of a bad point in the hdmi port pin or a resistor if you can test with a multimeter will be great

also with the picture we can search for a datasheet and test the output of whatever ic is controlling the outputs to see if that is the problem

Last edited:

ratburger

If the video card is working and only the ports are broken, you might still be able to use it because you have an IGP. Try the method shown in this video to redirect the output from your graphics card to the motherboard video port.

(starts around 3 min mark)

EDIT: Paulistano beat me to it by a min!

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I was on the waitlist for like 6 months, just got an email to buy a ftw3 ultra...

Yep. They give everyone an eight hour window to buy the card when it is their turn so that in itself pushes everyone's ability to buy one out quite a bit.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Ouch - had hoped maybe it was a 2 year warranty.
The market might be getting better with crypto & the LHR cards so maybe you'd want to hold on but nobody really knows for sure. Could be just as bad in 3 or 6 months.
Only signs of improvement I've seen is Zen 3 CPUs returning to stock at sane prices, but that doesn't match up exactly with GPUs & the production at a different foundry.
🤷‍♂️

Bit of a joke sometimes but is Newegg shuffle available to you? There are also discord bots/livestreams with stock drops.
Maybe open the card up & check for damage between the PCB & display output (or have someone do it for you)?

Rock & a hard place there fella. I've put off fitting a water cooling kit on my 1080Ti just because of this "Well fuck what do I do now" scenario if something goes wrong.
Good luck!
Sucks to be in your shoes, OP. Try fixing the card and selling it off to miners. Don't sell it as it is. At least investigate if you can fix it yourself, before selling it.

Thanks! I'll checkout the shuffle.

Also, Nvidia are announcing the 3070Ti and the 3080Ti LHR variants on May 31. Just hold out for a couple of more days to see if you can score one of these (unlikely, but still worth a try) maybe? The rumored prices are $999 for the 3080Ti and $599 for the 3070Ti.
I'm holding (unwillingly, lol).

If your GPU is working just use the iGPU to output from HDMI/DP and set Windows to use the dGPU for performance.

If the video card is working and only the ports are broken, you might still be able to use it because you have an IGP. Try the method shown in this video to redirect the output from your graphics card to the motherboard video port.

(starts around 3 min mark)

EDIT: Paulistano beat me to it by a min!

I've been trying to find info on this, thanks a lot!

RaZoR No1

Is the GPU itself still working?
Do you have a IGPU?
If yes cant you just use the HDMI port of the IGPU/Mainboard?
Or maybe buy a second cheap GPU and let it render on the broken one and output the video on the good one.

Should be possible I think

A.Romero

Is the GPU itself still working?
Do you have a IGPU?
If yes cant you just use the HDMI port of the IGPU/Mainboard?
Or maybe buy a second cheap GPU and let it render on the broken one and output the video on the good one.

Should be possible I think

Apparently yes, I was searching for that stuff yesterday but couldn't find it. Paulistano and ratburger suggested that (including a video!).

Haven't tried it yet but I will.

RaZoR No1

Apparently yes, I was searching for that stuff yesterday but couldn't find it. Paulistano and ratburger suggested that (including a video!).

Haven't tried it yet but I will.
Afaik it is just plug n play, if your IGPU is turned on in the BIOS.
If you cannot access the BIOS due to the settings, you could try to reset it (CMOS). By default the IGPU should be always on and starts/works, if you plug in anything to that port.

I just remember, that I used to use the IGPU as an extra HDMI port, because my 1060 had only one and it worked fine.

Top Bottom