• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What GPU generation do you have

Which generation is your Graphics Card?

• Total voters

GreatnessRD

MBA Radeon RX 6800 XT

• Ultra/High Settings
  • 1440p
  • 120-225 FPS depending on the game (RDR2 I think is the only thing sub 100 like 85-90 something if I remember correctly. Still beyond playable)
  • Paired with 5800X3D and 32GB 3200Mhz DDR4

Rocking a 3080 and it’s amazing. No issues running any of the games I play at 1440p 100fps.

PC is my main platform so will probably look into getting a 50XX card when they drop, unless they are absurdly priced.

Rocking a 3080 and it’s amazing. No issues running any of the games I play at 1440p 100fps.

PC is my main platform so will probably look into getting a 50XX card when they drop, unless they are absurdly priced.
Knowing Nvidia, they absolutely will be overpriced.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
RX 590, don't think it's on the list.. Anyhow had a cool 2 years or so with it running 1080p 60fps, some game weren't available at 60fps or not even now like Sunset Overdrive and i had alot of fun but now with PS5/XSX i hardly use it, tho i do want to try Kingdom Come Deliverance to see if it can hold 60fps while looking decent as i never finished it on PS4 and it locked to only 30fps on consoles.

i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
16 Gig memory
GTX 1070
1 TB HD ( I regret not getting a SSD instead )
Sound blaster Z ( installed separately )
600 Watt PSU
People still use sound cards? What's the benefit of a sound card these days? And yeh, I am being serious. I never ever see or hear anyone talking about sound cards anymore.

I went from 2000 series to 4000 series since the prices are dropping well under RRP here.

Frame rates went up an insane amount especially in RT games where stuff has gone from completely unplayable to often 120-140fps.

I'm most surprised by the temps and power draw. Even in pathtraced Cyberpunk temps are in the mid 50s and for anything less stressful the fans often don't even come on. My 2070s was a three slot card but was always hot and loud but the 4080s and 4090s I've tried have all been super cool and quiet.

yamaci17

im still with my 3070 and im happy with it
its gigabyte's aorus model, but it sucks. chunky but also very loud. i got it for near-msrp price so i never made a big fuss about it but it is what it is
i will not let go of the card till it literally dies

StereoVsn

Running a 3080Ti I got in '21 since I could not manage to get a 3080 since day if the launch :(. Ti was way overpriced even at MSRP.

Anyways, going to run it till 5080 or AMD equivalent comes out.

winjer

Gold Member
RX 590, don't think it's on the list.. Anyhow had a cool 2 years or so with it running 1080p 60fps, some game weren't available at 60fps or not even now like Sunset Overdrive and i had alot of fun but now with PS5/XSX i hardly use it, tho i do want to try Kingdom Come Deliverance to see if it can hold 60fps while looking decent as i never finished it on PS4 and it locked to only 30fps on consoles.

Just pick the option RX 5000 or older.

Celcius

°Temp. member
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra. I'm still very happy with it so I won't upgrade until the 5000 series most likely.

People still use sound cards? What's the benefit of a sound card these days? And yeh, I am being serious. I never ever see or hear anyone talking about sound cards anymore.
I use a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD. Sounds better than onboard audio and also has various outputs that my mobo doesn't have like RCA style stereo outputs.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Ampere, I'm not paying the prices they want for an RTX 4 series, by Nvidia anyway, there isn't a game i need it for as yet

hinch7

It isn't

But this doesn't mean it isn't fine enough. But some games (like Jedi survivor) will murder any CPU, my 5800x3d isn't always above 50fps.

On topic: Ada Lovelace - 4070

I had 7600GT, 8800GS, 6850, gtx480, 7970, gtx680, GTX 770, 290X, GTX 980ti, GTX 1070, RTX 2060S, RTX3070..... RX5700XT, 3060ti, RX6800, 4070

Most gens covered up.

There's loads of benchmarks and comparisons online I've seen they come so close to one another with 5600 pulling ahead in select titles. Those Ytube videos are usually BS as well. The 9700K is still a good CPU today, for a 8 core CPU with no hyperthreading.

Also have a 5800X3D and yeah its decent. Really powerful CPU that sips power when gaming. Same goes to Ada Lovelace GPU's. Shame about the prices for the latter. About Jedi Survivor, yeah that was so shittly optimised but UE engine games like the extra frequency I guess. I think they improved utilisation somewhat with the latest patches but its still lacking.

Last edited:

Guwop

Neo Member
Absolutely. Sound cards are a million times better than the trash sound on motherboards. It's night and day.

For example. Using a sound card I hear sounds in music that I never knew existed. The clarity, the highs and lows etc. are so much better in every way.

Also If you are running high end sound equipment a sound card is mandatory.

Personally I don't see how people use generic motherboard sound and be ok with it.

Of course everyone has different preferences, to each its own.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Normal people love to talk about their kids and pets. Gaffers love to talk about their PC builds lol

I have a 3080 with a Ryzen 5600x CPU. Got it in late 2020. I play on a 240fps/1440p monitor and I can usually max out games and get at least 60fps Before the 3080, I had:

2012-2015: GTX 650m laptop
2015-2018: GTX 970
2018-2020: GTX 1070

I'm looking to upgrade again once NVIDIA offers a respectable price-for-performance card, so who knows when that'll happen.

Does anyone know why I can't vote on polls? Is it because I'm still a new member?
Yes, I believe you can vote in polls after posting 50 messages.

Guwop

Neo Member
Normal people love to talk about their kids and pets. Gaffers love to talk about their PC builds lol

I have a 3080 with a Ryzen 5600x CPU. Got it in late 2020. I play on a 240fps/1440p monitor and I can usually max out games and get at least 60fps Before the 3080, I had:

2012-2015: GTX 650m laptop
2015-2018: GTX 970
2018-2020: GTX 1070

I'm looking to upgrade again once NVIDIA offers a respectable price-for-performance card, so who knows when that'll happen.

Yes, I believe you can vote in polls after posting 50 messages.
Thanks for letting me know.

Absolutely. Sound cards are a million times better than the trash sound on motherboards. It's night and day.

For example. Using a sound card I hear sounds in music that I never knew existed. The clarity, the highs and lows etc. are so much better in every way.

Also If you are running high end sound equipment a sound card is mandatory.

Personally I don't see how people use generic motherboard sound and be ok with it.

Of course everyone has different preferences, to each its own.
You must buy shit cheap motherboards. I bought a dedicated sound card and yeah over the board I had at the time (a £100 board) it was much better.

Upgraded to a £300-400 board and the onboard audio was better. Got rid of the sound card. My current motherboard (again in the £300-400 range) sounds better than my old one.

I do agree if you have high end gear or doing music work then get a sound card but for most people the onboard audio is enough. If you buy cheap boards and care about audio you should just use the money you'd need to spend on a sound card and get a more quality motherboard. You can go from a £100 board to a £200-300 board depending on what soundcard you were going to get and that's just basic internal cards.

Plus in my experience sound cards can cause issues. Getting rid of it reduces potential problems. My sound card was literally unusable when I was using Linux. Even the drivers on Windows were old and buggy.

Last edited:

Guwop

Neo Member
You must buy shit cheap motherboards. I bought a dedicated sound card and yeah over the board I had at the time (a £100 board) it was much better.

Upgraded to a £300-400 board and the onboard audio was better. Got rid of the sound card. My current motherboard (again in the £300-400 range) sounds better than my old one.

I do agree if you have high end gear or doing music work then get a sound card but for most people the onboard audio is enough. If you buy cheap boards and care about audio you should just use the money you'd need to spend on a sound card and get a more quality motherboard. You can go from a £100 board to a £200-300 board depending on what soundcard you were going to get and that's just basic internal cards.

Plus in my experience sound cards can cause issues. Getting rid of it reduces potential problems. My sound card was literally unusable when I was using Linux. Even the drivers on Windows were old and buggy.
You must buy cheap shit sound cards.

It don't matter how much your motherboard cost, the trash sound on your high end motherboard will never be good enough to power high end sound equipment like a dedicated high end sound card.

I been using sound cards for the last 25 years and have never ever had a single problem with any of them.

As I have already stated, if you don't use high end sound equipment then the generic trash sound on your motherboard ( including any high end motherboard ) will be good enough.

If you use high end sound equipment then a dedicated sound card is a must.

Kataploom

Gold Member
RX 6700 XT

That's probably why most problems on recent PC versions don't affect me at all. Most have to do with lack of VRAM and AMD is the only smart choice if you care about future proof at mid range... Though Nvidia Ampere wasn't even present proof when they released lol.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
6900xt in my main computer and an RX570 8GB in my other one that is mainly used by my kids. Oh and a 1650 in my laptop.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
1060 6GB. Waiting for when it will be "safe to upgrade". First PC was 750€. Second was 1350€. So I was thinking of putting 2000 in the next. But I can't put in good conscience 2000 in just the graphic card. Not when I am not really a PC gamer, and will use it mostly on indies. I hope that the 5000 series or the next one will be good enough to upgrade to something clearly superior to my PS5 but not too costly. When will Nvidia do a gen like the 1000 series? With good spec, cost effective and long lived?

RickMasters

Asus RX6800 OC16GB. .....So I always need GPUs with multiple display ports and HDMI ports for my studios screens.....But sometimes I like to play stuff on steam when nobody is in the the studio too! PC gaming is my dirty little secret. :messenger_beaming::messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat:

I play mostly returnal and G darius collection at the moment...tempted to build a dedicated rig for racing games at some point....the full fat thing with VR and force feedback wheel. I think ill be wanting to get new studios gear long before I get round to that though. namely, the new akai MPC, A neve channel strip, SSL UC1 and UF8 control surface (full set up) and a pair of ADAM S5Vs. then maybe Ill build amore gamer centric rig with a new top tier GPU.

Hoddi

2080 Ti and have no plans to upgrade yet. It still works well enough at 4k144 in most games that I play.

I intend to get an ultrawide OLED monitor some day soon and those all run at 3440x1440. That should keep it going for an extra year or two.

Top Bottom