• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My GPU kind of died, what are my options

A.Romero

Afaik it is just plug n play, if your IGPU is turned on in the BIOS.
If you cannot access the BIOS due to the settings, you could try to reset it (CMOS). By default the IGPU should be always on and starts/works, if you plug in anything to that port.

I just remember, that I used to use the IGPU as an extra HDMI port, because my 1060 had only one and it worked fine.

Well, I couldn't get it working last night when I tried. I'm confident in my computer skills (been building computers for 20 years) and I remember there used to be an option in the bios to have both active or to disable igfx. So I wasn't getting video from the card, including the bios of course. I reset the CMOS and removed the faulty card. Booted to the BIOS selected the IGFX as a default device (just for kicks, it was the only one) booted to Windows without any issue. Both monitors worked fine but the DP on the IGFX wasn't working.

I reinstalled the faulty card but with 1 of the screens connected to it and the other one to the IGFX. The one connected to the faulty card showed no video. The card was shown as working correctly by Windows, no drivers conflicts, etc. DDU'ed the drivers, installed the most recent ones, updated the BIOS, all that stuff, rebooted and same behaviour. Tried the other PCIe port in the mobo, same behaviour. Nvidia control panel would show no monitors connected.

Googled for a bit if I could use one GPU for rendering and the other one for displaying but couldn't find any precise info but I remembered some laptops I had in the past did it. I was sick of the whole thing by then so I removed the faulty card, packed it and left it at that.

I'll try using both at the same time tonight. With a little bit of luck it might work and the only real impact of all this is not being able to use more than one screen at once.

RaZoR No1

Experience shouldnt be an issue for you😅
Isnt IGPU port handled by the Intel Video drivers itself?
In the Nvidia Controlpanel you decide which programs should use which GPU.
Maybe you need to reinstall the IGPU drivers and remove any cables from the faulty GPU.

On my PC I just had to connect the HDMI to the Mobo and evrything works..
Even with my new AMD card

Justin9mm

Not trying to be a console fanboy as do also own a gaming PC but if you can get one just buy a Series X or PS5 Disc edition to tie you over.. Much better value at the current moment and then sell it after. Of course you won't get PC only games or the PC customisation experience but I assume better than paying current GPU prices?

Ezquimacore

Banned
Not trying to be a console fanboy as do also own a gaming PC but if you can get one just buy a Series X or PS5 Disc edition to tie you over.. Much better value at the current moment and then sell it after. Of course you won't get PC only games or the PC customisation experience but I assume better than paying current GPU prices?
a 1050 ti can run every game at 1080p for less than $400, I think that's a better value right now than these two consoles with lack of games, he already has a PC so the games are there.

Top Bottom