• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My tongue-in-cheek list of the Top 10 most annoying types of Thanos posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is meant to be lighthearted, friends. None of this stuff actually makes me mad. Rather, I thought it would be fun to collect some common types of mildly irritating posts. Full disclosure, I'm personally guilty of some of these infractions too, so take it all with a grain of salt. Anyway, here's my list of the top 10 annoying types of NeoGAF posts:

1. The “.” or “/thread” Poster:
    At least with “/thread”, I can actually read the post. But something looks visually off when the entire post consists of a “.”. Especially if said period comes after a quoted wall of text. It feels like I’m squinting at the teeny, tiny menu text in a bloated RPG menu screen. In either case, I say if you want to give props to another poster, at least give us a complete sentence as to why their post was so good.​
  2. “Spoiler Culture Snob" Poster:
    This is the poster who personally doesn’t care about spoilers and tries to shame everyone else who does.
    You’re a self-centered dick who only cares about your own opinions.
  3. “Everything’s A Spoiler Crybaby" Poster:
    "What’s that, the new Mario game has co-op? C’mon spoiler alert!!!” Uh, no, not everything is a spoiler, and you shouldn’t be lurking in threads for upcoming games if you care about spoilers. Either you want to discuss a game, or you want to go in blind. You can’t have both, so please don’t ruin the discussion for those who want to dissect every frame of the latest Horizon: Zero Dawn trailer.​
  4. "Edits Their Post With a Weed Whacker" Poster:
    My rule for edits is that I try to leave my original post intact and then add some more info at the end after “Edit:”. It’s so annoying trying to follow a thread when someone originally posted something dumb, but 3 minutes later the entire post reads “Edit: sorry I didn’t mean that.” So now the burden is on the other posters to curate the thread and quote said poster quickly before it’s gone.​
  5. "Unsourced Screenshot" Poster:
    Especially true if the thread is “overlooked PS1 gems” or something like that. If you want people to check out the game you’re referencing, then give us some info on how to do that.​
  6. "The URL Behind a Spoiler Tag" Poster:
    No, no, no! URLs and spoiler tags don’t mix, people. This is the NeoGAF version of a RickRoll. You click the spoiler thinking that you’re getting a witty bon mot, instead here comes a surprise popup window to God knows what. Especially bad if it’s a broken link.​
  7. "The Lazy .GIF" Poster:
    You know it’s coming as soon as you see a new fast food topic pop up. You love it, I love it, it’s the bloated Josh Freeman .GIF. At least I did love it before it became stale. I’m not saying that we shouldn’t use beloved memes, but try to at least put a spin on it. Maybe instead of merely quoting the .GIF, you can say “They’re test marketing in Tampa Bay first…” That was my attempt, YMMV on if that’s funny or not. The newest version of this is that new PS4 Pro Boost Mode .GIF that’s fast becoming unbearable.​
  8. "I’m Too Good for Pop Music” Poster:
    Every time, and I mean, EVERY TIME, we try to have a discussion on popular music, there’s at least one poster who feels the need to drop in on the conversation to announce that they’ve never heard of the music being discussed. “Ree-Hannah? Who is this person you speak of? That simple chord progression is much too plebeian for my refined palette!” C’mon, pop music is a merely a style of music. Like other styles, you have some good pop music, and some bad pop music. Maybe you don’t like the genre, and that’s cool, but you don’t need to barge in with your hipster hat in a misguided attempt to keep your internet cred. We know you sang along to “This is What You Came For” because everybody else did too, it’s OK.​
  9. "Can We Talk About X” Poster:
    It’s unnecessary, plus it gets “Can We Talk?” by Tevin Campbell stuck in my head. “Ooh, Tevin Campbell, back from the good old days before pop music sucked!” Hey, who asked you, I’m Too Good for Pop Music poster?​
  10. "Reserving a Post in the Top 10 Thread" Poster:
    I’m so glad that the mods are cracking down on this. This isn’t a search engine where you need your results to be on the first page for anyone to see them. Follow the format and the parser will count your vote, even if it’s on page 31. And people will find if it’s a good list with a good write-up.​
Well that's my list, am I being fair here? Again, none of these things make me mad, they're more funny little annoyances.

WHWXU1f.png

darscot

I will add my personal pet peeve. The has anyone ever done the thing that obviously people here have done. The has anyone ever been to or experienced X. Yes you are not the only person on the plane to have done that.

Nepenthe

Unsourced Screenshot Poster can go to Hell. Why post a screenshot if I need to go through the trouble of Tineye'ing that shit?

Gotta love the people using spoiler tags or /s at the bottom of their post when they say something inflammatory.

I just don't bother clicking

SpaceWolf

Banned
Thor 2 posts

Mods: Thor 2!

Everyone: (Laughs)

Mods: Thor 2! Thor 2! Thor 2: Dark World!

Everyone: (Nervously chuckle)

Mods: Thor 2 poll! Thor 2 poll! Thor 2: Dark World: Thor 2!

Everyone: (Strained smiles)

Mods: New Thor 2 poll! Thor 2 or Dark World 2 Thor? DARK WORLD!

Everyone: (Awkward silence)

Catvoca

Banned
I love when a thread accidentally gets posted on gaming side instead of OT and we get all those very witty jokes like "I didn't know this was coming to the the Nintendo Switch!" and other hilarious smart jokes like that

This is the most no-fun-allowed thing I've ever posted

LOL, OP. long posts are a sign that you're probably mad and taking Neogaf too seriously.
Chill man, this is just an internet forum.
Why don't you just go lay down or something.

NandoGip

"I’m Too Good for Pop Music” Poster:
Every time, and I mean, EVERY TIME, we try to have a discussion on popular music, there’s at least one poster who feels the need to drop in on the conversation to announce that they’ve never heard of the music being discussed. “Ree-Hannah? Who is this person you speak of? That simple chord progression is much too plebeian for my refined palette!” C’mon, pop music is a merely a style of music. Like other styles, you have some good pop music, and some bad pop music. Maybe you don’t like the genre, and that’s cool, but you don’t need to barge in with your hipster hat in a misguided attempt to keep your internet cred. We know you sang along to “This is What You Came For” because everybody else did too, it’s OK.​

Jesus fucking christ I hate this person. I don't even touch rap music threads anymore because of how many people just shit post in them.

TheOddOne

Fight me outside.

RangerX

Banned
Personally the full stop post I find really irritating. Just nod your head at the screen or contribute something.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

"GAF is it just me or...."

gets me every time

Also this. Yes, you are the only one.

People who continue to make threads consisting of their poorly thought out op-eds even after most of them are locked and mocked by the moderators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom