• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2015- 16 Regular Season IOTI - NBA GAF Is Pretty Dead Considering This Fact

this just came out of no where, i work so much these days that i forgot the season starts tomorrow

Celtics gonna win it all

manu god will go out on top as a champ

Go Bulls. Exact same team as last year basically, so I'm not sure how they plan on winning the championship. I guess I'll just pin my hopes on Rose returning to MVP form and Hoiberg being a genius.

ViciousDS

Banned
Anyway, Bulls all day every day

12193338_10153815777911614_8610104092748617953_n.jpg

I approve!!!

Also, is that hoiberg when he was a bull lol

Cause I know snell wears #20

Really excited, McDermott got more playing time in one pre season game this year than all of last year already. Feels good to have a coach and staff that can finally manage fucking minutes for once.....it only took....what....7 years?

they made it to the playoffs without parker and monroe, you think they'll be worse this year with those additions?

they have no spacing

MCW can't shoot and has high usage, Monroe can't shoot, high usage, alphabet can't shoot a three, jarbari ain't ready.

Teams are gonna collapse on Middleton and they won't have a way to keep the defense honest, because there's no penalty for help defense on a team that can't shoot the 3 ball. They're gonna be worse this year

ViciousDS

Banned
These threads going to be dead this season.

Which is sad.....because everyone is back this year :(

PG13, Kobe for that drama, Rose coming off a decent playoff run and finally a new coach, Spurs being level 99 compared to the next team at 70.

This is actually a much better year to watch bball than last year.

Ahh I see.

I don't think Casey is going to stay as Raptors coach. I think we will see a coaching change this year.

I think Casey is gone by the end of this year. Let him play out his contract. He has no excuse if he fails miserably and we aren't a playoff contender then he needs to go.
Lowry looks great, we finally got some defensive players for him to implement his defensive scheme. My fear is that we don't have enough bench scoring. Ross needs to show up.

Just want to say good luck Warriors-GAF. Don't know why GS aren't getting a lot of respect, but if the Spurs can't chip this year I hope they repeat. No hard feelings toward Steph and co.

That said, looking forward to seeing the new Spurs.

I think Casey is gone by the end of this year. Let him play out his contract. He has no excuse if he fails miserably and we aren't a playoff contender then he needs to go.
Lowry looks great, we finally got some defensive players for him to implement his defensive scheme. My fear is that we don't have enough bench scoring. Ross needs to show up.

I think or I'm hoping that TRoss is better than last year. Same with Jonas. From the Preseason Lowry looked good and Scola looks great for his age.

random25

There is a place we all left to PM me if you want to know where. NBAGAF as you know it has been dead for the last 2 seasons.

I was never aware of that (just joined GAF like a year ago). I guess what happened 2 seasons ago was so crazy to get a community killed lol.

I approve!!!

Also, is that hoiberg when he was a bull lol

Cause I know snell wears #20

Really excited, McDermott got more playing time in one pre season game this year than all of last year already. Feels good to have a coach and staff that can finally manage fucking minutes for once.....it only took....what....7 years?

Yeah, you'll never see me slam Thibs for his basketball mind but this will be a huge difference and maybe preserve the players for a change.

Not sure about the starting lineup, a bit worried about them giving up points but offensively, they're going to score more.

McDermott was the best player in the preseason for them until he took a dump the last few games.

All they need from him off the bench is to get to his spots and knock down the shots like a Korver or Dunleavy.

Plus, if you're listening to me, Hoiberg...Etwaun is better than Hinrich at this stage of their careers so don't overlook that.

Nice OT Gully,

fuck Mark Cuban, I don't know if I can stomach this season. This shit's gonna be 2012-2013 with O.J Mayo and Chris Kaman all over again
mjcry1.png

On the bright side the Stars might be on to something this season.

Ahh I see.

I don't think Casey is going to stay as Raptors coach. I think we will see a coaching change this year.

I think it will be entirely dependent on the team's record. 500, or in the top four of the conference, which in the East is not difficult, he keeps his job.

Listening to Masai in the off season interviews, he made it clear that the team has now gone through a defensive rebuild, and said nothing bad about head coaching. Essentially Masai criticized himself.

And who does he replace Casey with? The organization doesnt exactly spark huge interest from top tier coaches. Its been a revolving door of coaches for far too long. Time for the players and GM to step up, commit to a system and run with it.

Check the mavs looking to lock up Carlisle for 5 more years! That's fantastic. Casey is not a Carlisle but for free agents it sends a clear message about who is in charge in the Mavs and what type of playing/coaching system to expect.

Nice OT Gully,

fuck Mark Cuban, I don't know if I can stomach this season. This shit's gonna be 2012-2013 with O.J Mayo and Chris Kaman all over again
mjcry1.png

On the bright side the Stars might be on to something this season.

Do you blame Cuban for Deandre negging on his contract?

Pachimari

I am a fan of the Pistons since I am from the area and my dads favorite team as I grew up but if I was getting in fresh I would pick one of the younger up and coming teams. It's always fun to watch a young team rise to the top. The New Orleans Pelicans or the Utah Jazz would be great teams for a new fan.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think with this season, I'm just gonna sit back and relax, watching all the teams and see what I like. And partly cheer for LA Lakers. But I will keep and eye on those teams you suggested.

What does it mean that there are three divisions in each conference? Are the teams from West and East never playing each other?

Tubobutts

Thanks for the suggestion. I think with this season, I'm just gonna sit back and relax, watching all the teams and see what I like. And partly cheer for LA Lakers. But I will keep and eye on those teams you suggested.

What does it mean that there are three divisions in each conference? Are the teams from West and East never playing each other?

There are three divisions of five teams in each conference. Teams will usually play four games against each team in their division, three or four against non division teams in their conference, and two or three against teams in the other conference. Previously the team with the best record in a division was guaranteed a top four spot in their conference's playoff seeding, but that has been changed this year.

B.O.O.M

GO Blazers!

Gonna lose big time this season but we have some really exciting young players who should make the games fun to watch. Hoping for fun games, good improvements for the players and a good pick at the end of the season.

Been too long people...NBA is finally here again. And thank fuck for that

tm24

Woooo! I'm so happy that basketball is great and i get to watch the amazing trainwreck that will be the Los Angeles Lakers. Got a second monitor just so i can game and watch basketball. I'm so ready. Just some early predictions

WEST
1. GSW
2. Clippers
3. OKC
4. Houston
5. Spurs
6. New Orleans
7. Memphis
8. Phoenix

EAST:
1. Cleveland
2. Miami
3. Atlanta
4. Chicago
5. Washington
6. Pacers
7. Toronto
8. Boston

ROTY: Karl-Anthony Towns
MVP and DPOY: Anthony Davis

Things i'm most looking forward too: The Kings and the Lakers race to the bottom.

Pachimari

WEST
1. GSW
2. Clippers
3. OKC
4. Houston
5. Spurs
6. New Orleans
7. Memphis
8. Phoenix

EAST:
1. Cleveland
2. Miami
3. Atlanta
4. Chicago
5. Washington
6. Pacers
7. Toronto
8. Boston

Can somebody tell me who LA Lakers are here? Because I don't notice them in the OT either.

There are three divisions of five teams in each conference. Teams will usually play four games against each team in their division, three or four against non division teams in their conference, and two or three against teams in the other conference. Previously the team with the best record in a division was guaranteed a top four spot in their conference's playoff seeding, but that has been changed this year.

What are they gonna do this year?

Also, I'm looking at the time of the games, and it says 01:00 but when is that?

ViciousDS

Banned
Yeah, you'll never see me slam Thibs for his basketball mind but this will be a huge difference and maybe preserve the players for a change.

Not sure about the starting lineup, a bit worried about them giving up points but offensively, they're going to score more.

McDermott was the best player in the preseason for them until he took a dump the last few games.

All they need from him off the bench is to get to his spots and knock down the shots like a Korver or Dunleavy.

Plus, if you're listening to me, Hoiberg...Etwaun is better than Hinrich at this stage of their careers so don't overlook that.

Yes, Hinrich can still play good ball when not trying to be the defensive anchor he is playing 36 minutes a game due to Rose injury. With that said Hoibergs new offense benefits the guards greatly and Hinrich definitely flows well within it. E'twaun though is definitely better than Hinrich....hes also 26 and can go longer periods without wearing out as quickly.

sucks that mike dunleavy won't be there for the opener. But, that does mean snell or Mirotic will get the nod most likely.

Pachimari

Now I can't find the thread. But let's say I'm a defender and wanna take the ball from the opponent. How do I do that without fouling?

Can't I just take the ball from him? Or do I have to wait till he passes the ball and then interfere?

Cheebo

Banned
Predictions? Here we go:

West:
1. Golden State Warriors
2. Oklahoma City Thunder
3. Houston Rockets
4. San Antonio Spurs
5. Los Angels Clippers
6. Memphis Grizzlies
7. New Orleans Pelicans
8. Utah Jazz

East:
1. Cleveland Cavaliers
2. Miami Heat
3. Atlanta Hawks
4. Chicago Bulls
5. Washington Wizards
6. Boston Celtics
7. Toronto Raptors
8. Indiana Pacers

ROTY: Stanley Johnson
MVP: Anthony Davis

Can somebody tell me who LA Lakers are here? Because I don't notice them in the OT either.

Only the 8 best teams in each conference make the play-offs. There are 15 teams in each conference. Lakers are one of the weakest teams in the west.

ViciousDS

Banned
Now I can't find the thread. But let's say I'm a defender and wanna take the ball from the opponent. How do I do that without fouling?

Can't I just take the ball from him? Or do I have to wait till he passes the ball and then interfere?

Yes, you can....as long as you don't hit or make contact with the players body. If you do, you are what they called reaching. Also a hand is considered an extension of the ball....so you can accidentally hit that, just not anything else.

Hand Checking: A defender may not place and keep his hand on an opponent unless he is in the area near the basket with his back to the basket. A defender may momentarily touch an opponent with his hand anywhere on the court as long as it does not affect the opponent’s movement (speed, quickness, balance, rhythm).

No contact, no foul

There are three types of defensive fouls: blocking, pushing and holding. A player who is reaching in and makes contact will be whistled for one of these three types of fouls.

Pachimari

I don't even know what the playoffs are. :(
Can teams be relegated like in football?

And if one is not allowed to block, can't an attacker just run through the defense and put the ball in the basket?

ViciousDS

Banned
I don't even know what the playoffs are. :(
Can teams be relegated like in football?

And if one is not allowed to block, can't an attacker just run through the defense and put the ball in the basket?

nah, contact works both ways in a way.....players with the ball can be called for offensive fouls as well.

here, read this

http://www.nba.com/features/misunderstoodrules_051128.html

Also, playoffsf for NBA now work differently and are pretty straight forward starting this year.

The top 8 teams from the west and the top 8 teams from the east move to playoffs. They there play a series of games (best of 7) to move onto the next round eventually leading to the top team in the east vs the top team in the west for the nba championship

Pachimari

Oh, that is an interesting structure. So how many games do a team play before the playoffs? If there are 15 teams in each conference and 3 divisions, do they play 4 matches before the best 8 go to playoffs?

I should really get NBA 2K16 and try and play a campaign.

I also see, that my cousins are Golden State fans but they have moved teams and I don't like to do that. I just wanna stick with one team no matter what.

Cheebo

Banned
Oh, that is an interesting structure. So how many games do a team play before the playoffs? If there are 15 teams in each conference and 3 divisions, do they play 4 matches before the best 8 go to playoffs?

Each team plays 82 games. Every team plays each other at least twice, regardless of conference or division. Playoff standing is based purely on record, no best of series matches before playoffs. The 8 teams with the most wins overall in each conference make the playoffs.

Divisions are completely meaningless in terms of making playoffs, the only impact divisions have is you play against other teams in your division more in the 82 game series than you do against teams outside your division (but as noted above you end up playing every other team in both conferences at least twice in the regular season).

ViciousDS

Banned
Each team plays 82 games. Every team plays each other at least twice, regardless of conference or division. Playoff standing is based purely on record, no best of series matches before playoffs. The 8 teams with the most wins overall in each conference make the playoffs.

Divisions are completely meaningless in terms of making playoffs, the only impact divisions have is you play against other teams in your division MORE in the 82 game series than you do against teams outside your division (but as noted above you end up playing every other team in both conferences at least twice in the regular season).

I knew what you meant, just fixed it for the other guy

Cheebo

Banned
I wouldn't even try to worry about figuring out which teams you play against more than others. All that really is needed is

-Teams play 82 games a regular season, and play every other team multiple times.
-The 8 teams in two conferences that have the most wins of these 82 games advance to the playoffs.
-You advance through the playoffs through 7 game best of series until there is one team in the west and one team in the east left that meet in the finals

Top Bottom