• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need a new gaming headset for PC

Lagamorph

Apologies if this would be better in Off Topic, but it's gaming hardware related so Gaming seemed a sensible place to put it.
One thing to also point out, I'm in the UK so that might effect availability of some headsets.

Basically, as the title says, I need a new gaming headset for my PC. My current headset is a Turtle Beach Z300 which I've had for 2 or 3 years now, but the plastic housing has now snapped on one side. The headset is fine functionally, the cables aren't broken, but one of the ear cups now doesn't sit on my ear and sticks out at an angle. I know why this has happened, because as well as using it at home I've also used it at work as a phone headset, so the headset is constantly in and out of my backpack, carted back and forth on the train with me when I travel for work, so they've taken a lot of punishment and I can't really complain about how long they've lasted. I intend to keep it and just superglue/tape up the break, and use it exclusively as a work headset, then replace it at home for a gaming one. Whilst the headset was good, Turtle Beach driver support was pretty piss poor really. The headset is advertised as 7.1, but the Turtle Beach driver never really seemed to provide this alone so emulated it rather poorly through what is actually a stereo headset which just supports surround sound emulation (Which I think is the case for most, if not all, surround sound headsets isn't it?), though I got around this by using the Razer Synapse software to give a much better emulation experience.

But anyway, enough about the old headset, on to looking for a new one!
I'd prefer a Wireless one, like my current headset, as I utterly hate wires cluttering up around my desk if I can help it. Surround Sound is an absolute must, otherwise it's just a step backwards really.

I've seen a couple so far,

Logitech G930 Wireless headset for £80 on Amazon
This one is Wireless like I want and states it's 7.1 surround, like my existing headset. As a bonus it's also compatible with PS4, but my PS4 is hooked up to a surround sound system in the living room anyway so I doubt I'd use it on the Playstation at all.

Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma headset for £90 on Amazon
Wired rather than wireless, and £10 more expensive. The only advantage it seems to have is customisable colours on the headset, but I'll never see that anyway since I'll be wearing the things. To be honest, I'm also not a huge fan of the round ear cups. I've gotten used to the more square shape on my Z300s and found it to be quite comfortable even when wearing for a prolonged time.

I'm more than open to suggestions on any others that people might know are good, or perhaps own themselves and would recommend. Also be happy to hear of any experience people have with either of the above two as well.

Kilrathi

Headphones + mic will be much better audio quality over "gaming headest" the ad700 and modmic if you really want a headset

Maxximo

I bought a pair of Sony gold for 50€ and they are really good. I use them with razer surround and for the price its a really good solution.

I also have a ps4 so they are perfect for me. :D

Was watching the Steelseries H but tried the gold before investing 350€ in a headset.

Arulan

The HyperX Cloud II's look decent for a headset, mostly because they're based off of existing headphones, but, and you'll probably hear this a lot, you're much better off buying headphones and a separate mic. Don't even consider headsets with discrete drivers for 7.1. Virtual surround is better, if only because you're not limited to headsets, which are generally terrible, and the sacrifices needed to fit multiple drivers in one.

kingston_hyperx_cloud_headset_comparison_ndtv.jpg

CMSS-3D I feel is the best virtual surround (if you can find a Titanium HD sound card for cheap), especially for older games (early to mid 00's) with hardware support through DirectSound3D or OpenAL. Otherwise you're just using binaural algorithms with only 7.1 or 5.1 of information, instead of full API support giving you full 3D space coordinates and I believe up to 128 channels of information.

That said, when you buy a very nice pair of headphones, you'll realize that without the full API support of years past, it degrades the overall sound quality to the point where you'll likely prefer standard 2.1 stereo and the soundstage of open headphones. I'd recommend the Sennheiser HD 598, which doesn't require an amp, and can often be bought at ~$100 on sale. If you're willing to invest more there are a lot of fantastic options, some depending on your personal preferences, but these will also likely require the purchase of an amp, and you may even consider a DAC as well.

Lagamorph

Totally forgot to mention in the OP that I'm more than open to the idea of a pure pair of headphones without a mic. I don't really use the mic at all for gaming, the mic on the old one was only used when I used it as a phone headset at work. When gaming I actually unplugged the microphone entirely to stop the pass through sound.

I had a G930. It's a nice serviceable pair of wireless headphones if you can find it for cheap. It does have issues though. The sound quality is ok not amazing but what killed it for me was the build quality. The material around the ear cups peel/ flake off and the ear cups just in general felt flimsy.

Coonce

don't bother with any of that surround sound, 7 speaker in your headphone BS.

get a nice pair of stereo headphones, then use software to emulate surround.

If you need a closed pair (doesn't let noise in or out) - kingston HyperX cloud 2

If you need an open pair (wider soundstage, easier to pinpoint, leaks noise, lets noise in) - SHP9500s w/V moda boom mic.

don't bother with any of that surround sound, 7 speaker in your headphone BS.

get a nice pair of stereo headphones, then use software to emulate surround.

If you need a closed pair (doesn't let noise in or out) - kingston HyperX cloud 2

If you need an open pair (wider soundstage, easier to pinpoint, leaks noise, lets noise in) - SHP9500s w/V moda boom mic.

I use open stereo headphones and have no need for surround emulation because of the wide soundstage. I use the Vmoda boom mic with it and it's quite a nice setup, although wired so it's not really what the OP is looking for.

Lagamorph

How long is the cable on the HyperX Cloud II headset? Amazon.co.uk have the Gunmetal one for £69.99 so I'm rather tempted. Cheaper than the others I was looking at, but them being wired instead of wireless is my only concern if the cable is fairly short.

If I did go wired, it'd be between those or the Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma, though not sure what you get for paying an extra £24 for them besides the ability to change the colour they glow.

Crackbone

I'll throw in another recommendation for the Hyper X Cloud II's. It's the best headset you can buy for the price. Lightweight, metal frame, sounds pretty decently for the price.

I love mine.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I also have been in the market for a new PC headset and have been researching for the past week. I have sort of whittled it down to

-Kingston Hyper Cloud II (prefer wireless tho, but EVERYONE seems to adore these)
-Steelseries Siberia 800 (Dat pricetag tho)
-Logitech 930 (Mixed reports from being amazing for the pricetag, to the most horrific set of cans you can buy...though its long been the most popular headset on Amazon)
-Astro AH40 White (I just love the look...)

I really want virtual surround(or whatever) for gaming. Just at an impasse.

Rolfgang

I've got the Corsair VOID wireless. It's a (surprise!) wireless, Dolby 7.1 headset with super comfortable cushions, a battery that lasts around 16 hours (with lightning on low) and, in my opinion, a great sound. That said, I'm like the opposite of an audiophile, so if your experience is more advanced, you might not want to take my word for it.

Lagamorph

I also have been in the market for a new PC headset and have been researching for the past week. I have sort of whittled it down to

-Kingston Hyper Cloud II (prefer wireless tho, but EVERYONE seems to adore these)
-Logitech 930 (Mixed reports from being amazing for the pricetag, to the most horrific set of cans you can buy...though its long been the most popular headset on Amazon)

I'm in the same boat when it comes to preferring wireless. The other advantage my Z300s had was built in Bluetooth so I could use them for YouTube on my phone at work.

Sijil

Definitely recommend the HyperX cloud, got the 1st generation for 80$. Doesn't have 7.1 like the second gen but I fixed that using Razer Synapse. Amazing sound and build quality, comfortable and has great dampening.

GrazGamer

There seems to be a big issue with 7.1 and Logitech headsets with win 10. In a nut shell they aren't recognised as 7.1 only stereo so only games which specifically allow you to select multi channel audio actually are in surround. Check their forums there is a mod post about it. It is down to their software. My older g430s work with the older versions so I can use that but I think the newer ones require the later software, which has the issues.

Look into it.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Headphones + Mic.

You will end up with something much nicer in the end.

I'm an Audio Technica guy but seriously, enough with $50-150 headsets that just break.

Lagamorph

So to the people recommending a separate headphone and mic setup, can you actually recommend any headphones? Are there any good surround sound headphones out there?

Check out this guide from Head-Fi. Head-Fi is a community that is as into headphones as NeoGaf is into video games (there's quite a bit of crossover between the two forums as well).

It's a massive guide - I honestly have no idea how that one dude tested all those headphones and headsets but it gives you a good idea on what to buy at each price point.

So to the people recommending a separate headphone and mic setup, can you actually recommend any headphones? Are there any good surround sound headphones out there?

"Surround Sound" headphones are a gimmick, they fake the positional audio that good headphones do naturally. What you are looking for are headphones with a wide soundstage, meaning headphones that properly represent the position of the audio in the x/y/z axis. Open Headphones are generally better at this, but with the caveat that they leak sound in and out, so you need to be gaming in a room where you aren't going to get the sound drowned out by outside sources and don't care that your headphones are leaking sound out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63BxrNuXnYg - Zeos is one, if not the best, headphone reviewers on youtube. This video will go into great detail on what exactly makes headphones good for gaming and gives you a options at varying price points.

On the budget side of things he, along with pretty much all the other reviews I've seen, adore the Superlux HD-668B's. They have the best soundstage in the budget market, which gives them the best positional audio. They also are easy to drive so you probably won't need an amp. For higher end stuff, he recommends the Fidelio X2's and Philips SHP9500.

I personally use Superlux HD-681 EVO's right now and they do a great job for gaming as well, I can feel when things are behind or in front of me. I have them paired with the Sony ECMCS3 microphone as my 'gaming headset' and it's so much better than what you'll get for the same price from actual gaming headset makers unless you're willing to spend many hundreds of dollars. Kingston seems to be the major exception there as they pretty much take good headphones made by other companies and just slap a mic on them, instead of trying to create gimmick garbage headsets that have 4 tiny ass drivers in each ear to fake surround.

d3vnull

Had a Logitech G35 for many years, then it fell apart.

I got a Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphone on a Asus Xonar D2X plus a t.bone SC 440 USB mic and never looked back.

It all cost >300 but it is so worth it, believe me.
It's a whole new level of quality.

Lagamorph

For dedicated headphones I should point out that I have neither an amp nor a dedicated sound card, just the motherboard on-board. I'd imagine that's going to make a difference to the quality of sound I get from them?
And is probably where the Cloud headset may have an advantage with the USB sound card.

Zipzo

Banned
Echoing sentiments from other users...

Do not buy a Razer headset!

Hands down this is the worst thing you can do for yourself for any kind of money that they cost. I have extensive experience with Razer products, and I even still use a few, but I can tell you without any uncertainty that they are not who you want to rely on for headsets.

I'm incredibly picky myself. I demand that my voice is crystal clear to all listeners in almost any voice chat program (Skype, Ventrilo, Mumble, Teamspeak, literally every single one you've heard of). I've used a depressing number of different kinds of headsets (a lot of them specifically for gaming) and I can say with confidence that Sennheiser makes headsets of unmatched quality among all gaming headsets.

First of all, these things are German developed, those guys know what they're doing when it comes to sound (or rather just engineering in general). Sennheisers give you absolutely crystal clear microphones on pretty much any model they sell. I've used Blue Yeti's, the Razer one, audio-technica's, and none of them get the same response as I can garner with my Sennheiser mic.

Grab a dolby surround version and you are set for life. Don't leave the brand. You'll never want to.

For dedicated headphones I should point out that I have neither an amp nor a dedicated sound card, just the motherboard on-board. I'd imagine that's going to make a difference to the quality of sound I get from them?
And is probably where the Cloud headset may have an advantage with the USB sound card.

Depends on the headphones. The Superlux HD-668B's I mentioned before are some of the easiest to drive headphones you'll find that are good for gaming. Most onboard soundcards should be good enough to drive them. If you're worried about driving some good headphones, look into something like the Fiio E6, it's a cheap amp that will get the job done to drive most headphones. It's portable too so you can use it on things like your phone or tablet if you so desired.

Get a pair of decent regular headphones and add a modmic.

Most headsets suck because they don't prioritize audio quality or comfort. Get a pair of headphones that are good then just add a modmic to it. Problem solved AND you have headphones you can enjoy listening to music in.

Dahaka

ATH-AD700 has a severe bass roll-off or let's say it's quite light on bass. Good for competitive games but abysmal for a true immersive single player experience.

Much better to EQ a better balanced headphone (ideally with quick decay) if you want to avoid frequency masking through bass.

I was also in the market for a headset yesterday. My local Best Buy didn't have the Logitech G930 at all, so I grabbed the Corsair H2100 instead. I'm truly impressed with the audio quality these things are pumping out right now.

Herne

I have a Roccat Kave 5.1 with proper 5.1, not virtual. Not sure how it compares to the others listed here, but for me it's a hell of a headset. I hear precisely where other players are in Battlefield 4 and other such games, and the extra detail I hear is fantastic, something I didn't expect.

roccat-kave-solid-5-1-gaming-headset.jpg

Thunderstorms in Witcher 3 are amazing with it.

That Roccat Kave does look good, especially the idea of true 5.1 rather than emulated.

The problem is that in order to do "true" 5.1 here, you use multiple tiny drivers instead of larger, better sounding ones. It still faces the same general problem that most gaming headsets do, in that it sacrifices sound quality to emphasize positional audio, it just happens to do so in an alternate manner. You'd get the same effect from a better pair of headphones that has a better soundstage.

Mifec

If you are willing to spend that much money on trash like the kraken why not get good cans and a an amp/DAC.

The mics in those headsets are worth as much as a $2 store bought logitech mic.

HD598 and schiit modi2/magni2 combo and you are set for years.

I've been gaming on Sennheiser PC 350 SE's for a few years and I think they are great.

Bit pricey though (and officially discontinued but there are comparable current models)

If you are only using it for gaming, get the Hyper X Cloud 1 or 2. If you also use it for listening to music get a headphone + mic Combo.

Kindekuma

Banned
Don't waste the money on a headset. Sound quality is horrendous for a price/performance ratio. Buy a good pair of studio headphones like Sennheiser 598 with a clip on lav mic or something.

Top Bottom