• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted and Carbon

JayK47

Interesting that Most Wanted gets so much love here. I got it for free and can't even get into it. I have tried several times, and I end up uninstalling it after a few hours. Yet I loved Payback, Heat and Need For Speed (2015). They are always on sale for very reasonable prices several times a year. I've enjoyed the recent few enough that I may pick up the next one closer to release.

Krathoon

Gold Member
There is a definite rubber band effect to the races. It seems like you have to lean on the nitro at the end of the race.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Most Wanted is a masterpiece, carbon was disappointing but still good
those would be the last games in the NFS series to actually be good sadly
Although i'm going to be real- rubber banding is one of the BEST things you can do to enhance a racing game's gameplay. Once you get first place, the game basically turns from an actual race to a time trial. Having the opponents speed up so you don't get too complacent makes the gameplay way way more compelling and interesting.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

Interesting that Most Wanted gets so much love here. I got it for free and can't even get into it. I have tried several times, and I end up uninstalling it after a few hours. Yet I loved Payback, Heat and Need For Speed (2015). They are always on sale for very reasonable prices several times a year. I've enjoyed the recent few enough that I may pick up the next one closer to release.
Which Most Wanted though? The 2005 game or the 2012 remake? The remake is dogshit.

Krathoon

Gold Member
EA still supports Need for Speed Undercover. Wow. I entered in my code and could download it.

Edit: I spoke too soon. It has to connect to a license server and that is down. CURSE YOU, EA!

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
I managed to get Undercover to work. The game does this annoying thing where it just drops you into the game when you select you profile. There is no start menu.

Krathoon

Gold Member
Undercover is pretty fun. Just evaded some cops. It is not quite as atmospheric as Most Wanted and Carbon.

hlm666

I used to love just playing it for the cop chases, I only remember I still had this video because I got a copyright claim about it the other week even though it was sitting set to private in my youtube account for like 12 years. Unfortunetly the quality is horrible god knows what I used to do the encoding back then.

fatmarco

Yeah weirdly you can buy NFS: Undercover on 360 still too. Bought it the other day. What a shocking fall from grace coming from that legacy of Underground 1 and 2, Most Wanted, and Carbon. Just release completely unfinished.

I remember the sky rotating separate from the rest of the world when the game first launched, which appears to have been fixed, so that's cool I guess.

Also no music in freeroam is absolutely mental.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
Carbon is pretty different from Most Wanted. You got a wingman when you race. Also, you are fighting for territory with these other crews.

It also raises the silliness up a notch and there is this whole back history for your character. It takes place in a home town that you ran away from.

Krathoon

Gold Member
Really, the mod on Most Wanted makes it look better than Carbon.

So far, I have not seen a texture mod for Carbon that does not change the original look of the game. I hate it when they do that.
Just sharpen up the original textures.
The mod for Most Wanted matches up with the original textures.

I am kind of a purist when it comes to mods. I try to preserve the original look of the game.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Was never a fan of Most Wanted, the shift to day time & Speedbreaker put me off.
But the Underground games, now you're talking

Krathoon

Gold Member
They went back to night time with Carbon, but then they added the wingman stuff.
One is day and one is night.

Krathoon

Gold Member
The widescreen mods of these have a neat little feature where you can make the game save in the game directory.

I played some of the Underground games and realized that it has some spectacular crashes. That seemed to die down in that later games.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

I loved Most Wanted on 360. The sense of power that you couod get out of cars like the Mustang where it literally gets off the mark like a rocket was glorious. Using Speedbreaker with the Gallardo, throwing the car into a handbrake turn, activating speedbreaker to line up the trajectory and then hitting the nitrous...

Amazing game.

Heat is the only NFS since the 2005 Most Wanted that I have put any considerable time into.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 & Heat probably my favourites in the last decade.
Never played Carbon, I liked Pro Street even though that was set in the day.
But I do have a soft spot for the original Underground.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
Heat Deluxe and Payback Deluxe are dirt cheap on PS4 right now. They are having a summer sale on the PlayStation Store.

I went ahead and got them. Too good to pass up.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
They essentially started of with cgi actors and drawings in Underground and then moved on to live actors.
Then they had live actors and motion captured 3D models in Carbon.
Carbon is kind of special because they did that.

I remember having trouble with the PC version of Carbon back in the day. It seems to work fine now. I guess it is because my PC is way more powerful now.

Last edited:

RobRSG

So not worth getting it on the 360 even if you've never played it before?
Man, I have mixed feelings towards this version…

It has problems, performance is kinda laughable too in 720p, but I still recommend it over any 6th generation version, and I did not like the handling experience of the modded version on PC and its messy mod menus you need to deal with.

My recommendation is playing the Xbox 360 version while setting the video output to 480p. This way the game is more stable.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
The Most Wanted HQ mod is a pretty good mod for the game.
It compiles a bunch of lore friendly mods into a simple installer.
Just install it to your Most Wanted directory. Be sure to backup your Most Wanted directory in case something goes wrong.

MadAnon

No idea why people trash all the new NSF games while loving MW. MW has the exact same formula as these newer games - same cheesy story with movie cut scenes. There's nothing special/deep about car customization unlike it was in Underground 2.

Seems like people simply got tired of the same formula instead of MW being something special.

Krathoon

Gold Member
Carbon has this blur effect that is annoying me. Also, it locked up on a video transition. I will have to see if there are some mods that fix thing up.

Krathoon

Gold Member
I set Carbon to WinXP compatibility to see if that fixes the freezing problem. There is a real lack of mods for Carbon.
There is also this weird problem with Carbon where you sometimes can't select in the menu. You have to use the mouse. I also had the quit option dissappear on me.
I am surprised no one has tried to fix it up.

Edit: Here is a weird fix for the quit option not showing up. CTRL-ALT-DELETE and click on the game again. The quit option will then show up.
I have no idea what is causing that problem. Weirdest bug ever.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
I am trying to install the old Need for Speed III, but it is fighting me. Win11 does not like it.
I will try installing it in a WinXP VM and copying it to Win11.
There is a patch that gets it to work in a modern OS. They should have made an installer for it.

The game is only in 640x480. It is that old.

Last edited:

Chronicle

Had most wanted for ps2 but man it looked so good when I got it for my 360. Just another level of racing game. Loved Most Wanted.

Krathoon

Gold Member
Had most wanted for ps2 but man it looked so good when I got it for my 360. Just another level of racing game. Loved Most Wanted.
They got the PC version modded up to where it looks great too. I did run into an issue in Win11 on my laptop where there were some untextured triangles. It does not happen on my Win10 desktop PC.

Soooo, not certain what the problem is. I think the mod I use uses Vulkan. That may have problems with Win11.

Karmic Raze

I personally couldn’t get into Most Wanted, Payback, or Undercover, but Carbon, Underground 1&2, and Heat I loved so much. I’m hoping EA will give us Heat 2 this Fall. That game was freaking awesome.

EDIT: I forgot about the game they simply called Need for Speed. I didn’t play much of it, but it did look cool.

While I’m on the subject, did any of you guys love Need for Speed 2 and Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit (both on PS1) as much as I did? I still consider those games god-tier racing games.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
I finally got Need for Speed 3 to work on my laptop. There is a patch that gets it to work on modern operating systems.
Now I need to get need for speed 2 to work.

I personally couldn’t get into Most Wanted, Payback, or Undercover, but Carbon, Underground 1&2, and Heat I loved so much. I’m hoping EA will give us Heat 2 this Fall. That game was freaking awesome.

EDIT: I forgot about the game they simply called Need for Speed. I didn’t play much of it, but it did look cool.

While I’m on the subject, did any of you guys love Need for Speed 2 and Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit (both on PS1) as much as I did? I still consider those games god-tier racing games.
I mentioned Pursuit earlier. It, and Driver got me through some tough times when I had to babysit my neighbor’s bad ass kids.

Lady Jane

Banned
Rubber banding is, by far, the largest problem I have with nearly every arcade racer. Avoiding it is what got me into sims though the barrier of entry (wheel setup) is something I'm not willing to do so I stick with the "light sims" like FM and GT.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I had to play Carbon to death for work back in the day, and I had fun with it (despite being forced to play an awful lot of it).

Krathoon

Gold Member
For some weird reason, I was having issues where the controller would not work on the menu and the quit button disappearing on the PC version of Carbon.

I will have to see if there is a fix for it.

lem0n

PS1 era NFS will always be my favorite. 2, 3, High Stakes, Porsche Unleashed.. all epic. The music in 2 and 3 in particular I still listen to today.

Krathoon

Gold Member
For Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2, the PS2 version seems to be the best version. The PC version is crappier for some reason.

RAIDEN1

I found this for $13 on the grey market.

It is the last great Need for Speed game, releases since then haven't been better than this...and it sure does get more challenging the further you get in as compared to something like Forza horizon...

Krathoon

Gold Member
I think I have collected enough NFS games for now. It seems like I got all the cool ones.

Really, I am liking the Need for Speed reboot. It has that campiness of Most Wanted and Carbon.

I tried hitting Esc to quit the game and that did not work. So, I killed the app. I assume they are doing something weird to exit the game.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
It looks like they moved from live action video to motion capture.
That is kind of a shame. The live action gave the games more personality.

Top Bottom