• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted and Carbon

Krathoon

Gold Member
At the start of the NFS reboot, there is a group of people drinking Monster Energy Drink.:pie_eyeroll::pie_eyeroll::pie_eyeroll:

It is that kind of game.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
Did your character have a name in Most Wanted and Carbon? I think he was mister no name. I think you were supposed to be a dude.

It is really a very hetro male game.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Most Wanted was the game that got me to upgrade my Radeon x800 Pro to a GeForce 7800GT. It was so great. I’ve probably still got NFS Underground as my all time favorite NFS though.

Krathoon

Gold Member
Well, the Need for Speed reboot is kinda shitty. It needs an connection to play and it keeps losing the connection to the server. The problem is not on my end.
Also, I can't accelerate over 40mph. I think my controller got set to using a stick. Still, I can't shift gears.
Not certain how in the hell that happened.
I am glad I only played $14 for it on the grey market.

Edit.
I found the solution. Apparently, you can't use a Bluetooth controller on the PC version. That is horseshit.
They still have not fixed this. Made me think I was going nuts.

Edit: Here is another annoying thing. They removed the imaginary barriers that kept you on the circuit like in Most Wanted and Carbon. So, if you are not careful, you can drive off the circuit.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
It is amazing how a controller not working right can royally piss you off. Yeesh.
Hopefully, there is a crack some day. It would be a shame to not be able to play the single player story because the servers are down.

Cryio

Most Wanted 2005 is the best NFS game ever made and will probably remain so for all time.

PC version is great (though it needs patches on PC, widescreen especially). X360 is the better version, like someone else mentioned: HD textures and shadows, higher precision effects, actual HDR instead of just bloom, better reflections.

Carbon is best played on PS3. Higher rez textures, better lighting model, higher quality reflections AND more reflections at any given point than PC or X360. Best played on RPCS3.

Cryio

Hot Pursuit 2010 is also amazing top to bottom.

Most Wanted 2012 is also God damn brilliant, BUT ONLY on PC after you fix the input lag in the controls via INI and some other shenanigans. Made a Reddit post with the tweaks.

The Run is also fun for 1-2 playthroughs, if only for being the only racer ever made where every track is basically a sprint (best type of races) and every race is basically unique, due to being a continues chase. Very expensive to make and easily why no other developer ever attempted this again. The 2-3 setpiece tracks are also a standout (the ending race, the mountain avalanche and somewhat, the autumn track near the end). Had a blast playing it last year in 4K120. Cutscenes are limited to 30 fps (ugh) and the snowy mountains generated way too much debris so you can't see anything at 120 and you need to play those sections at 60 or 30 fps (I forgot which one).

Also played Rivals, which mechanically is incredibly solid, it's too bad the map is so small and most races take you through half of the map each time pretty much. So while the game runs greats, looks great and feels great, it also gets repetitive very fast. Also limited to 30 fps on PC, but you can mod it so it runs at least at 40 fps, so it's vastly smoother without breaking race timers.

Haven't played yet any strictly 8th gen NFS titles.

PS: The best looking version of Most Wanted 2012 is on the Wii U, but CEMU still can't render it properly. It has a different (better?) lighting engine and TONS more screen space and cube map reflections.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
I guess online is totally dead on Most Wanted 2005 and Carbon. I was hoping that someone had a sever.
It looks like you can play on a LAN with Most Wanted. I will have to look into it.

Krathoon

Gold Member
Need for Speed: The Run is tied to an Origin account on PC so you are better off getting a console version. Also, it is not sold anymore online.
I ordered the PS3 version to play in RPCS3.
They kind of make it a pain in the ass to play the older games.

wvnative

Hot Pursuit 2010 is also amazing top to bottom.

Most Wanted 2012 is also God damn brilliant, BUT ONLY on PC after you fix the input lag in the controls via INI and some other shenanigans. Made a Reddit post with the tweaks.

The Run is also fun for 1-2 playthroughs, if only for being the only racer ever made where every track is basically a sprint (best type of races) and every race is basically unique, due to being a continues chase. Very expensive to make and easily why no other developer ever attempted this again. The 2-3 setpiece tracks are also a standout (the ending race, the mountain avalanche and somewhat, the autumn track near the end). Had a blast playing it last year in 4K120. Cutscenes are limited to 30 fps (ugh) and the snowy mountains generated way too much debris so you can't see anything at 120 and you need to play those sections at 60 or 30 fps (I forgot which one).

Also played Rivals, which mechanically is incredibly solid, it's too bad the map is so small and most races take you through half of the map each time pretty much. So while the game runs greats, looks great and feels great, it also gets repetitive very fast. Also limited to 30 fps on PC, but you can mod it so it runs at least at 40 fps, so it's vastly smoother without breaking race timers.

Haven't played yet any strictly 8th gen NFS titles.

PS: The best looking version of Most Wanted 2012 is on the Wii U, but CEMU still can't render it properly. It has a different (better?) lighting engine and TONS more screen space and cube map reflections.
i loved the run just for the novelty of essentially being a COD campaign on wheels

Krathoon

Gold Member
That is the annoying thing about modern PC games. They are tied to accounts. So, you can't just by a used disc version.
If they are really old, it is fine.

Krathoon

Gold Member
I had a weird issue when I copied my modded copy of Most Wanted 2005 to my laptop. Some triangles in the mesh of the track were not textured. This may be a Windows 11 issue.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I was looking at the PS3 versions of Carbon and Shift when browsing in a used games store. Now you made me regret that I didn't grab them, lol.

Great games, me and my friends used to play them so much back in high school.

Krathoon

Gold Member
For some reason, they did not put the special editions of Most Wanted and Carbon on 360 and PS3. That is why I used the PC versions.

Krathoon

Gold Member
An interesting thing about Most Wanted 2005 is that you have to drive to events and places that are not on the blacklist. Carbon lets you start them immediately.

Top Bottom