• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann and Halley Gross Open Up About the Biggest Twists of ‘The Last of Us Part II’ **SPOILERS**

Tomeru

It sometimes takes YEARS to develop vaccines. Even with tons of data and valuable samples, you can still fail to develop a vaccine.

Sure, but the point is that you dont know if they could or couldntve made a cure. You tell yourself whatever you need to get behind the action on one character, while ignoring everyone else.

Dacon

Banned
Sure, but the point is that you dont know if they could or couldntve made a cure. You tell yourself whatever you need to get behind the action on one character, while ignoring everyone else.

The likelihood of a vaccine being developed with such limited resources, facilities and available scientific expertise is incredibly small.

Knowing this, Joel's choice to save Ellie isn't as outrageous as people, and this game would have you believe.

Tomeru

The likelihood of a vaccine being developed with such limited resources, facilities and available scientific expertise is incredibly small.

Knowing this, Joel's choice to save Ellie isn't as outrageous as people, and this game would have you believe.

Apparently you, and others, have more information and know better than the citizens of another world 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Paracelsus

The people defending the fireflies are projecting and going full headcanon to hate Joel. Please tell me who to love now, daddy.

The fireflies were incompetent, ill-equipped and in shambles, they were close to getting wiped out, and hoped a vaccine would stop the military from stomping them into the ground.
It was a political move that was whitewashed into an epic struggle to save humanity that Joel cut abruptly because he's a monster in the sequel.

Depending on who you ask about the recordings' awkward wording, Ellie was the first immune they had found.
It was arguably the biggest chance humanity had at getting a vaccine.
Common sense would tell you to treat her like a princess and take time to test her. What do they do?
They want to cut her open, still unconscious, like five minutes after finding her.

They fail, then what? You didn't even get to see if her offspring is immune.
Over half of humanity was wiped out at the start of the outbreak, there was literally no need to rush.
They were betting on the vaccine bailing their asses in the conflict vs the military, that's it.

In the long run Joel might have saved whatever is left of humanity. He didn't mean it, he did it for himself but TLOU1 works better if you consider both sides could have been wrong/right.

DavidGzz

The only sad part was Abby losing her gains by the end. I cri erytiem

I did realize. I know they're trying to makes us feel empathetic towards Abby (its quite on-the-face actually), and somehow feel guilty for Ellie's actions.

It just didn't work. It was poorly executed.

Maybe it's cause I never played the first, only watched a recap on youtube but that is exactly what I felt. I ended up liking Abby way more and let her get in some shots all the while shaking my head as the game was seemingly forcing me to kill her in the final battle. I also thought Joel got exactly what he deserved. Four!

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
Apparently you, and others, have more information and know better than the citizens of another world 🤷‍♂️

....The Last of Us takes place in our world if there was a Cordyceps outbreak.

It's not some magical fantasy land where the development of vaccines is shockingly different from that of the real world.

Tomeru

....The Last of Us takes place in our world if there was a Cordyceps outbreak.

It's not some magical fantasy land where the development of vaccines is shockingly different from that of the real world.

Yes. Crazy plant people are more likely to happen than getting a cure from the only available immune person. No fantasy, this is all logical and a perfectly acceptable scenario that can happen in our world.

Roni

Gold Member
Yes. Crazy plant people are more likely to happen than getting a cure from the only available immune person. No fantasy, this is all logical and a perfectly acceptable scenario that can happen in our world.
Well, the crazy fungus already exists, in the TLOU it just jumped from insects to humans. But the cordyceps' behavior is real.

Dacon

Banned

Cordyceps is real, the only fiction here is it jumping to humans.

Roni

Gold Member
Like I said, crazy plant people are a thing.

I love when devs take the time to research this stuff and take the least amount of imaginary leaps forward. If there's one thing this whole COVID19 has shown us is that diseases can change randomly and there's a lot more scary diseases out there we definitely don't want anything to do with!

Tomeru

I love when devs take the time to research this stuff and take the least amount of imaginary leaps forward. If there's one thing this whole COVID19 has shown us is that diseases can change randomly and there's a lot more scary diseases out there we definitely don't want anything to do with!

It is indeed very cool and I love that too.

The point isnt how hard or how impossible it is to make a cure - the point is that it's possible. Ellie herself was willing to take that chance. I dont hate what Joel did - I'd probably do the same. But if the game has something to say is that there is no bad or good. We are all the same.

Imho.

Last edited:
Top Bottom