• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2011 Awards (Up: bunch of extra data, check it out!)

Oxx

Our top 5 is pretty close. If I had played more of Ghost Trick it might have been identical.

If none of the games on your GotY list had dinosaurs in it, ask yourself: does it really count?

a1xEN.png

Look at this fuckin' amazing screenshot. If Dark Souls doesn't have a single triceratops in it, is it really as hardcore as this game?

What game is that?

Diamond

Non-hipster

Hipster

Seems the hipster one was greatly influenced by my inclusion of Top Spin 4. No big surprise.

Anyway, hello GOTY buddies ! I recognize some of you !

Thores

Regular

Hipster

My hipster list is basically "The only other people that voted for Inazuma Eleven". So a bunch of pretty cool dudes.

What is Hipster Nerd edition?

I dunno but I appear 23 times in the hipster nerd references and 10 times in the other file. Chris Remo has a similar ratio of 18 to 6 but since he is referenced less I guess that makes him more of a hipster than me since he is into things before they are popular but less of a nerd since he doesn't go with the nerd herd.

What is Hipster Nerd edition?

Regular edition treats all games equally in terms of comparing taste; hipster nerd edition weights games higher for similarity purposes the fewer total lists they appear on. (In other words: the hipster list will show you people whose niche taste is similar to your niche taste.)

fernoca

Users with similar selection to fernoca:
  1. Mr. Robot
  2. Chip N Chance
  3. mugen812
  4. CyReN
  5. Vire
  6. Exterminieren
  7. thebeeks
  8. Chittagong
  9. stonedwal
  10. matm666
Not bad. :p
Mr. Robot had quite many similaraties to my list:

Mr. Robot:
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  2. Portal 2
    [*]Just Dance 3
    [*]Patapon 3
  3. Mortal Kombat
  4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
    [*]Fight Night Champion
    [*]Dead Space 2
  5. Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure (console/PC version)
  6. Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Mine:
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  2. Mortal Kombat
  3. Portal 2
    [*]L.A. Noire
  4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
    [*]Pokémon: White Version / Black Version
  5. Kirby: Return to Dreamland
  6. Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
    [*]FAST: Racing League
    [*]MotoHeroz
And I originally had Just Dance 3 in mine, but removed it to add MotoHeroz.

Wallach

Pfft I'm too busy playing knock-offs of all the games that were big in the App Store like a year ago.

To be honest I'm not real invested in the smartphone arena. I got the iPhone 4 (and a MBP) early last year to do some small contract type work. That's all over now, so I sold the MBP but I still have the phone and I've come to like it. Bear in mind my previous phone was some laughably cheap flip-phone, which was some kind of nerd sin I guess.

All it has done is make me want an iPad; I might jump in on one with the iPad 3 and go back to a cheap phone upgrade cycle. I do three things on my phone: play games, browse GAF and do normal phone/text things. Two of those would be much more awesome on the iPad. I just want one that has a higher resolution screen, because I've been totally spoiled by the phone.

To be honest I'm not real invested in the smartphone arena. I got the iPhone 4 (and a MBP) early last year to do some small contract type work. That's all over now, so I sold the MBP but I still have the phone and I've come to like it. Bear in mind my previous phone was some laughably cheap flip-phone, which was some kind of nerd sin I guess.

I actually had zero interest in phones too until I started working on rich mobile-web and apps at my last job, you know what it's like when you have access to all these cool toys to play with and the time to play with them. I'm going to take my Macbook back from the person I loaned it to this year because she isn't using it now so I might end up having to get an iPhone or Touch for work too.

All it has done is make me want an iPad; I might jump in on one with the iPad 3 and go back to a cheap phone upgrade cycle. I do three things on my phone: play games, browse GAF and do normal phone/text things. Two of those would be much more awesome on the iPad. I just want one that has a higher resolution screen, because I've been totally spoiled by the phone.

I'm not ready for a tablet yet, the pricing and tech is just so volatile right now that I know I'd get "wtf that one is way better than mine and cheaper too"-syndrome really hard about 2 weeks in. They are a lot of fun though, I went to a client-meeting last year where they had a Microsoft Surface with iPad integration via QR codes. You could put the tablet down on the Surface and drag things towards it to copy data across, very cool. All their business cards had funky QR codes on them too, when you put them down on the Surface they'd bring up a little radial-menu with the person's details around the card.

Feep

Banned
Thank you to anyone who voted for Sequence! Being even remotely compared to some of the industry's top games is awesome. ^^

Fourth place rhythm game of the year whattttttt

(goes to trophy store)

Eusis

Standard:

Hipster:

Seems like "hipster" is the Trails in the Sky crowd with EVERY list there having it somewhere, whereas the standard is a bit more about mainstream games.

Radec

Pretty weird category..

Shooter Game of the Year: Gears of War 3 (Microsoft) = 479 points, 6 honorable mentions

2. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (THQ) = 52 points, 8 honorable mentions
3. Jamestown (Final Form Games) = 45 points, 6 honorable mentions
4. Hard Corps: Uprising (Konami) = 27 points, 2 honorable mentions
5. DoDonPachi Resurrection (Cave) = 20 points

Regular

Hipster

Oxx

Why didn't you play more/finish it, if you don't mind my asking?

Also, finish it. :)

I was happily playing through it, one chapter at a time, on the train every morning... until I reached the stealth section. Something about it really rubbed my sleep-deprived brain the wrong way.

This graph shows the accumulation of votes over all users' contributions; it is not scaled for actual time. The top clusters of games are labeled. The vertical black bar at the 77% mark indicates where voting stood at the original deadline. Total vote accrual data and an uncompressed version of this graph have been added to the download link in post 4.

Hmm, maybe this needs a title change so people know there's yet more data. Or maybe this thread inactivity further shows that the deadline should not be extended.

nny

yay, so many stats!

Oh, Lost in Shadow only got 4 points...:/

Hello my buddies:

Regular

Hipster Edition

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh good, the handheld lists are now up! I've been looking forward to these. *checks* I support all of the results! Good job, GAF! ^_^

Super-glad that Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, Tactics Ogre, Radiant Historia, Trails in the Sky, and Corpse Party are getting the recognition they deserve. I hope other people try them out as a result.

If you want my opinion (who doesn't?) the thread has been killed by people posting their similarity lists.

I actually had that thought last year, TBH. I think it's fine data to have, but it's really very personal and applies only to the person in question. It doesn't make for good group conversation.

I actually had that thought last year, TBH. I think it's fine data to have, but it's really very personal and applies only to the person in question. It doesn't make for good group conversation.

Yeah. I mean if I was really interested in any of the lists posted I could look 'em up myself, which I did for my GAF buddies already.

Prinny

Normal

Hipster
I see that Ravage has a Disgaea avatar too. You have great taste, dood!

Tampinha

Normal

Chris R

edit: disregard previous stuff, it didn't work at all :<

My matches just confirmed that at some point this year I'll be playing Dark Souls and Deus Ex HR.

Nizz

I know I'm late as hell but what a great, great job with the OP. A lot of love went into it and it shows. And cool, Portal 2 was my favorite game of 2011 (with Dead Space 2 just behind it)!

So glad it won game of the year. I've been playing through it again these past couple of nights and I still love it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If you want my opinion (who doesn't?) the thread has been killed by people posting their similarity lists.

This is kind of why I tried to list games that I discovered on my similarity list (interesting to, well, hopefully somebody), rather than listing my similarity list (interesting to absolutely nobody)

Hmm, maybe this needs a title change so people know there's yet more data. Or maybe this thread inactivity further shows that the deadline should not be extended.
i know i have said it before, but the voting should be pushed back further if anything. i propose that the overall length of voting be shortened (which would keep interest higher), but with the starting date held a little bit later than it has been in the past. something like a voting window of january 1-31 would be awesome. a schedule such as this might also allow you to implement some sort of requirement that each person delve into the reasoning behind their top couple choices, as was discussed briefly in the voting thread. it could be as fun and simple as something like requiring each person to include three sentences talking about their number one pick. i know i personally wanted to delve into the nitty gritty of why i voted for what i did, but i barely had time to sneak my ballot in as it was (which included a botched first place vote on my part). a slightly delayed voting window and an obligation to include some context would both be great for encouraging introspection. hell, in hindsight i should have dug up previous quotes of mine on the games i voted for and attached them to my post (as i think Tain did).

i purchase almost all of my games in steam sales, with this past winter sale and some end-of-year indie bundles accounting for a huge proportion of my favorite 2011 titles. there is also the fact that many of us give and receive games as gifts during this period. even a tiny bit more time to absorb all the gaming goodness the holidays bring would be much appreciated.

not that any of this stuff matters in the end, but the gotys you guys run are easily one of the forum's highlights. i would love to see your threads stickied next year too! :)

Diamond

Extending the deadline was great. Look at the number of messages and the views, this thread was much more successful than last year. :)
You and Timetokill have done a fantastic work overall, I'm just not sure the before/after deadline extension was the stat which interested people the most. Giving more time didn't change a lot of things at the end of the day, as your graph shows, but it allowed people to put a little more thoughts in their lists and a good bunch of after-extension posts were great to read.

Leeness

I was happily playing through it, one chapter at a time, on the train every morning... until I reached the stealth section. Something about it really rubbed my sleep-deprived brain the wrong way.

Haha I get that. It's a really short bit though, so just sit down with it and get 'er done! The game gets so good after that :)

Haunted

This graph shows the accumulation of votes over all users' contributions; it is not scaled for actual time. The top clusters of games are labeled. The vertical black bar at the 77% mark indicates where voting stood at the original deadline. Total vote accrual data and an uncompressed version of this graph have been added to the download link in post 4.
Seems fairly linear, all told.

Thanks for producing all that data, anyway! :D

Durante

I agree, that's certainly not the point. Especially not just putting it there without further comment, it makes slightly more sense if there's at least some discussion of what someone noticed on / discovered based on the list(s). If I post one next year I'll add a comment to that effect.

Fezan

Similar list

Hipster List

What is hipster list?

Top Bottom