• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf GOTY 2023 |OT| Results thread

Good to see Starfield up there, genuinely enjoying my time with it. Think I’m going to have to bite the bullet on BG3, was going to wait for a discount but it’s selling too well so don’t think that will be happening for a while!

Good to see Starfield up there, genuinely enjoying my time with it. Think I’m going to have to bite the bullet on BG3, was going to wait for a discount but it’s selling too well so don’t think that will be happening for a while!
the longer you wait, the better it will be. They keep patching out bugs and adding dialogue for some characters so if you're not busting to play it you could just keep letting them enhance it

Overall good results, 4 of my top 5 picked up a bunch of awards (AC6, FFXVI, RE4, Lies of P). Still haven't played BG3 yet so no comment there but the results are expected based on how much love it got throughout 2023. Blasphemous 2 way too low on the indie list, I guess a lot of people didn't play it, shame.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I finished Lies of P yesterday and believe it's the best action game of 2023. Not only that, it stands as one of the prime examples of the soulslike genre. I'm not a fan of mecha fights, and I know what to expect from the RE4 remake since I played the original. We definitely made a mistake on that list (and on the overall value list). Other than those two, fair choices all around(although TOTK is my goty). Hail the king until next Halo comes!

KungFucius

King Snowflake
No talos principle 2 and starfield being 5...

Guess I can't trust gafs opinion now either.

I managed to get around to jedi survivor over December and boy is that game just leagues better then almost anything else released last year. Just gameplay/story/production it really is top tier shit and really is overlooked
Are you serious? Talos Principle 1 was great but it is very niche so obviously would be overshadowed by games that millions played. People just skipped it. Hopefully they will give it a try when they can. FFS I skipped BG3 last year and I am a long time Larian fan who used to play Divine Divinity until 4AM. Most gamers have a huge 2023 backlog.

yamaci17

decent list

i'd personally put starfield above hogwarts legacy, final fantasy and spiderman 2 (tie maybe with this one). so I see nothing wrong by it. if starfield is a 7/10 game (by whatever metric), I'd see hogwarts legacy as 6/10 and spiderman 2 as 6.5/10 games. thankfully I do none of of that. to me Starfield still retains a healthy 8.5/10 score for me. its problems only derails it from being a 9/10 game, not push it to a "7/10" game. when I play the likes of gow ragnarok/spiderman 2 all I feel is how robotic and formulaic Sony 1st party titles have become. Starfield being outside of that "formulaic" feel alone would make me put above those other games. a game managing to not be formulaic and still has decent success in 2023 deserves at least a 8/10 despite its shortcomings. this is why I like death stranding as well.

im playing through aw2 right now and there's a possibility I could it put above TOTK personally. (and that would make it my personal goty of 2023). once I see through the end I will decide which one to put first. but to me aw2 has been a more unforgettable, one of a kind experience (not to say totk was not a one of a kind experience but it didn't hit me like aw2 did so far)

i still haven't played baldurs gate 3 and I don't know when I will. and I still wonder if it can surpass totk or aw2 for me. but I can say it deserved considering its success

Last edited:

Flayer

Talos Principle 2 was robbed! (Of course it was never going to win despite it being a masterpiece, it's just not well known enough).

Baldurs Gate 3 pretty much had to win this year and we'll deserved, by far the best mainstream game of 2023.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Thanks to all that worked on this. It’s much appreciated. Without your hard work, some wouldn’t be able to see the massive engagement that Starfield has earned and belongs in the years top 5.

Salmon

How can Hogwart's get on the list for good UI/HUD design!? It's one of the worst in many years! It's not even dynamic in 2023? It's so bad it's laughable. Also the HUD elements are waaaaaaay to big and annoying, and also pretty ugly.

Last edited:
I love FFXVI but it is a character action game with very light RPG elements.

Baldur's Gate 3 sweep puts a smile on my face. Armored Core VI getting all the recognition is more than deserved. Lies of P does deserve that sequel ASAP.

lucbr

Starfield above ff16, Lies of P, hogwarts and ac6? what the fuck.
It doesn't deserve place on the list.
Alan wake2 so high?! For that gameplay and terrible console ports?! yuck.
Opinions. For me Starfield is leagues above Hogwarts and it is better than FF XVI. Haven't played the others two.

Also, IMO, Alan Wake 2 is great and is the best looking game I played on consoles last year. BTW, I haven't had any problems with the game, maybe I am less sensitive.

Top Bottom