• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Top 50 Nintendo games of all Time

1. Super Mario Bros. 3 #04
2. EarthBound #15
3. Super Smash Bros. Melee #13
4. Zelda II - Adventure of Link #61
5. Pokemon Gold/Silver #22
6. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker #12
7. Super Mario 64 #08
8. Paper Mario #29
9. Fire Emblem (7 in Japan) #32
10. Super Metroid #02

Nice picks!

Yeah, that's absolutely priceless. The debate will rage on no matter how we try to resolve it.

Yeah really. What are the odds.

I'm quite pleased with the list. Though I am surprised that OoT still to this day is THAT popular (not that I'm complaining, of course). That's not to say that I don't think it should be, but rather, with all the haters, especially in the past couple of years, I'd expect the game would take a hit. But I guess this once again proves that a tiny vocal minority != the general gaming populace.

Haters? I've seen more dissenters than outright haters.

leroidys

Sorry for the necro, but would anyone be interested in doing another of these? It's been 4 years, and essentially an entire console cycle for the big N. Would be interesting to see how people's taste have changed.

mrmickfran

Sorry for the necro, but would anyone be interested in doing another of these? It's been 4 years, and essentially an entire console cycle for the big N. Would be interesting to see how people's taste have changed.
Would be glad for Kid Icarus Uprising to take its rightful place as king.

I think it would be best to wait for the end of this gen though.

ASIS

Woah! Skyward Sword ahead of Twilight Princess? That's insane!

I have to say though, if this list is made today Pikmin 3 better be in it.

Bass260

I'm all for it. Regardless of modern releases, it's quite interesting to see how taste and reception of classic games change over time. Stuff like Majora's Mask may receive a boost - and others like GoldenEye may falter.

In terms of modern releases; Mario Kart 8, Xenoblade Chronicles, 3D World, Smash 4, Bayonetta 2, FE Fates, Splatoon, LBW and a few others stand a chance of shaking up the list.

I honestly don't see anything since 2012 cracking the top 20.

Maybe Link Between Worlds.

Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, Smash 4, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, 3D World, Tropical Freeze, Fire Emblem Awakening/Fates, Animal Crossing New Leaf...

Tons of candidates.

mrmickfran

Hey I'm really happy about the outcome don't get me wrong but here in gaf Skyward Sword is sin.

That was when SS was still fresh.

That game had an ugly "in hindsight" moment for most people.

I don't think it would be near the place it is now if we did another vote.

Sadist

Oh hehe, "hey why this necro bump?"

Had a lot of fun making this thread and luckily Cheesemeister offered to help out. Don't know if the mods would allow another one. I remember when I posted this it started a flurry of threads like this for Sony and a bunch of publishers like S-E.

ASIS

That was when SS was still fresh.

That game had an ugly "in hindsight" moment for most people.

I don't think it would be near the place it is now if we did another vote.

Well to be fair this survey was done when SS was still new. Things may be different now.

Yeah I thought about that... Then I realized that people said the same thing about MGSIV so maybe there is some truth to the list even if it is 4 years old.

leroidys

I honestly don't see anything since 2012 cracking the top 20.

Maybe Link Between Worlds.

Maybe.

MK8, Splatoon, Kid Icarus, Bayonetta 2, Yoshis WW, Tropical Freeze, Mario 3D world, Smash 4, Nintendoland, Mario Maker, and Wonderful 101, ALBW, the 3DS kirbys, the 3DS Fire Emblems, Boxboy, and Stretchmo all deserve consideration though IMHO.

Maxinas

That be great, some good contenders like Splatoon, matio kart 8, loz:lbw, etc.

Sadist

We'll have a post E3 lul, I'll ask a mod if we can have another one after this week. I'd be happy to post the thread again.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
That would be a good idea, because there's definitely enough great stuff from the WiiU/3DS era to make it in. Like Tropical Freeze.

Looking back at the list I submitted:

1. Legend of Zelda : A Link To The Past; the best instalment of the series with a perfect difficulty curve. The world slowly opens up as you progress.
2. Super Mario Bros 3; a brilliant platformer chock full of secrets to get lost in
3. Super Metroid; did for metroid what zelda 3 did for zelda, and with a fantastic atmosphere to boot.
4. Legend of Zelda : Links Awakening; another great zelda game with the best dungeon in the series(eagles tower + columns)
5. Starfox 64; superb dogfighting, choices & variety. and of course brain + eyes.
6. F-Zero GX; best in the series - supremely hard, supremely punishing but never unfair.
7. Super Mario RPG : Legend of the Seven Stars; crazy fun jumping on heads to get secret chests.
8. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door; fell in love with this game when I challenged for the wrasslin title.
9. Wario Land : Super Mario Land 3; collecting the treasures was absurdly fun. moon get.
10. Kirby's Dream Course; awesomely crazy puzzle/physics game.

I think only A Link Between Worlds would have a crack at breaking in. Haven't had a chance to play the new fire emblem game yet though.

Anth0ny

3D World
Xenoblade (didn't release in America yet)
Bayonetta 2

Think harder fam

EDIT: Yooo Smash 4 as well.

Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, Smash 4, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, 3D World, Tropical Freeze, Fire Emblem Awakening/Fates, Animal Crossing New Leaf...

Tons of candidates.

Maybe.

MK8, Splatoon, Kid Icarus, Bayonetta 2, Yoshis WW, Tropical Freeze, Mario 3D world, Smash 4, Nintendoland, Mario Maker, and Wonderful 101, ALBW, the 3DS kirbys, the 3DS Fire Emblems, Boxboy, and Stretchmo all deserve consideration though IMHO.

You guys are mentioning a lot of great games.

None of them would crack the top 20. I think people forget just how insane Nintendo's back catalogue is.

Splatoon and Tropical Freeze would come closest of the Wii U titles. I could see LBW actually cracking the top 20. But that's it.

Sadist

I think Mario Kart 8 has a good chance to enter the list. Same for Splatoon. Both are my most played mp games this gen. MK8 is my favourite MK ever.

I'd be up for an updated vote on this. Mario Kart 8 would hit the top ten for sure, right? And I think Mario Maker would score pretty high too.

mrmickfran

This guy here... He gets it.

High five! :D

Oh hehe, "hey why this necro bump?"

Had a lot of fun making this thread and luckily Cheesemeister offered to help out. Don't know if the mods would allow another one. I remember when I posted this it started a flurry of threads like this for Sony and a bunch of publishers like S-E.

I would love for someone to make a SEGA thread only for it to devolve into an argument of whether the Platinum games count. Because Bayonetta would eviscerate that list.

Solid list. Wish Pokemon was up higher however.

OoT and Super Metroid will always be 1A and 1B to me. I cant choose between the two.

Edit: Whoops, just noticed its from 2012

ASIS

You guys are mentioning a lot of great games.

None of them would crack the top 20. I think people forget just how insane Nintendo's back catalogue is.

Splatoon and Tropical Freeze would come closest of the Wii U titles. I could see LBW actually cracking the top 20. But that's it.
Pikmin 3 :(

Really, I honestly believe Pikmin 3 is one of he top 20 Nintendo games no joke. Smash 4 is also a good contender.

Ansatz

My top 20 wouldn't include SMW, SM64, WW or any Earthbound game. I mean the two Mario games are probably my most played single player games on SNES and N64 respectively, but replaying them nowadays doesn't do much for me. I guess I don't care about exploration 'done right' and the sense of being on a real adventure, Wind Waker especially has always been my least favorite Zelda game because the overworld feels like a chore to explore and half of its dungeons are boring. SMB 3 has much tighter level design and it's a pure joy to play no matter how many times I've beaten it, glad to see it above World.

I would vote for Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, Mario Kart 8 and A Link Between Worlds in their place.

Axass

Good list, but I still think to this day that Link's Awakening, Super Mario RPG and Earthbound are seriously overrated. Great games for sure, but not as mind-bendingly amazing as some people make them out to be. Besides, each of these has a vastly superior sequel or prequel that does almost everything they do better (ALttP, Paper Mario / Mario & Luigi, Mother 3).

Also, my top three would probably be OoT, Super Mario World, Metroid Prime.

I knew Ocarina of time would be first or in the top 3.

I wished I could see what so many people see in that game

I think it's one of those "you had to be there, at just the right age" kind of things. I was already an adult when OOT came out and it didn't have nearly the same impact on me. But for someone a bit younger, I imagine it blew their minds.

I'm still legit shook that DKC1 outranked the rest of the DKC games, so yes we totally could do with a modern update to right this ridiculous wrong.

Top Bottom