• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Top 50 Nintendo games of all Time

Really good list overall. Mario very well represented in the Top 10, as it should be.

I must say, though, that I am still very surprised at the amount of love Wind Waker still receives to this day. I don't think it belongs anywhere near it's ranking.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You played Okami then think OoT is easy and simple? Not that I think OoT is overly complicated or hard but it trounces Okami in term of dungeons and puzzles (and pacing too).

Okami was more fun. Half the dungeons in OoT felt like a sluggish chore. I mean the game had limitations for it's time and all, but when a game is considered best of the best those limitations are not forgiven in those calculations. :p I'm not saying the game is shit. I'm just saying it feels extremely limited and such. But it's my opinion and everything :p

Hold on a second. I voted for Wave Race 64 and it didn't get a single point. Also you know darn well that noone wanted the stupid gameboy wave race.

1)Goldeneye--what a gem, can't believe how much fun ive had playing this game
2)Super Mario 64--recently got 120 stars for the first time ever, have concluded this is the best mario game of a long list of goodens
3)Zelda ALTTP--best snes game by small margin
4)Super Metroid--2nd to only sotn for this type of game, but still one of the ten best games ever, just an amazing world
5)Super Mario World--after long debate decided this is the best 2d mario. graphics and controls are perfect, better than mario 3 even.
6)Zelda OOT
7)Perfect Dark--combat sim is unreal
8)F-Zero X----got into this a few days ago and omg it is so amazing i regret not giving it a fairshake before, BTW i dont see why everyone wants the 64dd expansion so much when the regular game has the x cup to build random tracks, i figure theyre as good or better than any garbage id build myself
9)Wave Race 64--tied with wipeout xl for my two favorite racers ever
10)Super Mario Bros 3

Honorable Mentions:
Super Mario 2, Zelda 1, Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!, Excitebike, F-Zero, Super Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, DKC, WarioWare, F-Zero GX, Smash Bros Melee, Double Dash

Rehynn

Very nice list, glad to see Super Mario RPG on it (my second favorite Nintendo game after Ocarina).
I own 32 games from the top50, this list will be a good reference for future game purchases.

It feels like I could take these 50 games and have fun for the rest of my gaming life.

Okami was more fun. Half the dungeons in OoT felt like a sluggish chore. I mean the game had limitations for it's time and all, but when a game is considered best of the best those limitations are not forgiven in those calculations. :p I'm not saying the game is shit. I'm just saying it feels extremely limited and such. But it's my opinion and everything :p

Trust me if you played it closer to its release you would realize how mind blowing it was for its time. There's a reason that it was voted first place in a land slide.

Kusagari

An Okami fan calling another game a sluggish chore = LOL

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
You can not blame a reader poll for the results, but as a Nintendo fan that list is just wrong.

1. Where the feck is F-Zero X. Wave Race 64. 1080 Snowboarding?

2. Super Mario RPG?? Why so high? Nostalgia? Mario?

3. Metroid Prime over the Galaxy games????

4. The list should just be top 50 most popular mario-zelda-metroid games.

5. Can not blame the lack of classic Japanese only games like Fire Emblem 4, Fire Emblem 5, Detective Club. But those are some fing classics.

6. Where the feck is Wario Land? WarioWare? Seriously. Wario F**** Ware... One of the most genius forward thinking games.

Eric C

Pretty Good Top 50, much better than Famistu's Top 50 IMO.

The only game that surprised me was Wave Race GB. Partly because I've never played it, and also because I honestly can't remember hearing praise nor criticism about the game before.

OK, it's time for the Sega thread now.

yeah, that'd be a fun list too.

Someone should make that thread

bluehat9

Wow, I got the first quote under the number 1 game. Nice. List is interesting. A whole lot of Mario love. And we just had that thread a little while ago saying that Nintendo should give him a break, lol.

Hahahaha, I dont know why but i knew i was going to be in the comments of zero mission before scrolling down :lol

Well, Super Mario Sunshine doesnt appear in the best 50 nintendo videogames, neogaf's job is done.
Good job guys.

And SMW and SMB3 tied in votes, thats something lovely (although I still like more SMW)

The only thing im sad is not seeing the original or wii Punch-Out!! in the 50 list.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Trust me if you played it closer to its release you would realize how mind blowing it was for its time. There's a reason that it was voted first place in a land slide.

That's the problem I have with these types of things though. Best game of all time shouldn't take into account of when it was first released. It means OF ALL TIME 50 years from now it still has to be better than anything else out. *if it was rated the best 50 years from now that is* Just an example. I agree with most of the list though :3 Although red and blue being the top pokemon game is a bit awkward seeing how it's a broken ass mess compared to the rest. Once again nostalgia goggles D: I would list crystal/ heart gold/SS/ or black and white at the top. But this was more of a popularity poll of gaf general opinion xD

alazz

In retrospect Gold and Silver should've replaced my Red and Blue vote. I mean the game is better mechanically and includes Kanto.

But no Super Star Saga in the top 50 is saddening.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm guessing Wave Race is supposed to be Wave Race 64. I'll double-check; any votes for "Wave Race" without the 64 have to be counted for the Game Boy game.

Banjo and Conker were developed and published by Rare.

Punch-Out!! likely had its votes split due to title ambiguity. "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" went to the NES game and "Punch-Out!!" went to the Wii game.

Also, I was surprised that New Super Mario Bros. on the DS was snubbed. Well, maybe not too surprised.

Tookay

Overall, a pretty fair list. What strikes me as most impressive is how much spread there is across various generations. The Wii has been a great system for Nintendo's core franchises, and even the weaker Gamecube years produced some excellent games (Paper Mario and Wind Waker).

Also, long-time lurker, first-time poster. So excited.

Croc

Banned
I'm glad to see Metroid Prime so high on the list. I knew it was held in high regard but I didn't realize people enjoyed it more than both of the Galaxies and SM64 (which I agree with).

drspeedy

Really good list overall. Mario very well represented in the Top 10, as it should be.

I must say, though, that I am still very surprised at the amount of love Wind Waker still receives to this day. I don't think it belongs anywhere near it's ranking.

See, I feel that way about LttP (waaay over rated, and I'm OG SNES). WW, it did everything right and never felt forced to my tastes. Same goes for LA.

Maybe it's an island Zelda thing?

1. Super Smash Bros. Melee -- 13th
2. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker --12th
3. Metroid Prime -- 6th
4. Pokemon Red/Blue -- 14th
5. Fire Emblem 7: Blazing Sword/Rekka No Ken (Fire Emblem GBA) -- 30th
6. Super Mario Bros -- 16th
7. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island -- 10th
8. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time -- 1st
9. Super Mario 64 -- 8th
10. F-Zero GX -- 17th

Overall, my picks did well. Fire Emblem did poorer than I expected, but I think Path of Radiance stole a lot of votes.

Melee only 13th is saddening as well but I know there isn't much of a smash fanbase on GAF so its to be expected :(

It beat out every non- Mario/Zelda/Metroid game though! Thats pretty impressive.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm guessing Wave Race is supposed to be Wave Race 64. I'll double-check; any votes for "Wave Race" without the 64 have to be counted for the Game Boy game.

Punch-Out!! likely had its votes split due to title ambiguity. "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" went to the NES game and "Punch-Out!!" went to the Wii game..
I'm guessing NES Donkey Kong versus GB Donkey Kong 94 had similar issues. The ranking combines them but it really shouldn't as they're totally different games.

Thanks for checking/fixing Wave Race/64. It's the only real oddity in the top 50 I think.

I'm guessing NES Donkey Kong versus GB Donkey Kong 94 had similar issues. The ranking combines them but it really shouldn't as they're totally different games.

Thanks for checking/fixing Wave Race/64. It's the only real oddity in the top 50 I think.

Right, title ambiguity forced me to combine the two Donkey Kong games.

Banjo and Conker were developed and published by Rare.

Punch-Out!! likely had its votes split due to title ambiguity. "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" went to the NES game and "Punch-Out!!" went to the Wii game.

Also, I was surprised that New Super Mario Bros. on the DS was snubbed. Well, maybe not too surprised.

I don't see why ANY votes should be counted for the gameboy version; reason being if someone knew about the game boy version AND preferred it over the n64 they would have gone out of the way to call it Wave Race (GB). OTOH, many people simply thought wave race 64 was the first and that it had the 64 simply because a lot of n64 games did.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm quite pleased with the list. Though I am surprised that OoT still to this day is THAT popular (not that I'm complaining, of course). That's not to say that I don't think it should be, but rather, with all the haters, especially in the past couple of years, I'd expect the game would take a hit. But I guess this once again proves that a tiny vocal minority != the general gaming populace.

SMB3 and SMW being tied is really an amazing (if not appropriate) coincidence. Two of the best Mario games ever, aside from NSMBW.

Oh, and to see the sublime and clearly superior SMG above the worst Mario game ever (SMG2).

edit: Aw, crap it's not! Goddamn it, way to fail gaf. :(

Also @cheesemeister

Banjo-Kazooie was published by Nintendo. Perfect Dark was published by Rare. However, I'm pretty sure the rules said Rare games were allowed without any stated exceptions.

Edit:The OP of the contest clearly stated to count banjo kazooie, perfect dark, and other rare games.

clemenx

Banned
I'm quite pleased with the list. Though I am surprised that OoT still to this day is THAT popular (not that I'm complaining, of course). That's not to say that I don't think it should be, but rather, with all the haters, especially in the past couple of years, I'd expect the game would take a hit. But I guess this once again proves that a tiny vocal minority != the general gaming populace.

SMB3 and SMW being tied is really an amazing (if not appropriate) coincidence. Two of the best Mario games ever, aside from NSMBW.

Oh, and to see the sublime and clearly superior SMG above the worst Mario game ever (SMG2).

edit: Aw, crap it's not! Goddamn it, way to fail gaf. :(

I don't understand, how can you like SMG and then think SMG2 is the worst game ever? :p Just curious, would love to hear that opinion. I think I'm one of the few people who prefers SMG to SMG2 but I love both games...

iirate

Aside from the position of Super Metroid which is waaaaaaaay too high i think that it's a very solid top 20 list

Appropriate avatar. ;)

Ouendan should be top 10, but not even making the top 50? You're worthless, all of ya!!

Hey, I did my part!

Great list BTW, and the SMB3/SMW tie totally legitimizes it
(go team SMW)
. I also REALLY need to give OoT another shot - I've tried it like 3 times now, and it hasn't held my attention, but I'll get through it one of these days.

Also @cheesemeister

Banjo-Kazooie was published by Nintendo. Perfect Dark was published by Rare. However, I'm pretty sure the rules said Rare games were allowed without any stated exceptions.

Edit:The OP of the contest clearly stated to count banjo kazooie, perfect dark, and other rare games.

I was referring to Wikipedia, which says Banjo-Kazooie was published by Rare. Upon further review, NOA lists Nintendo as the publisher. I'll put them back in the next update.

Curiously, Conker is unlisted. NOA says Perfect Dark was published by Rare.

Riposte

Anyone who thinks Super Mario Bros, the original, is better than Super Mario Bros 2, the actual Japanese one, is crazyyyyy.

That's the problem I have with these types of things though. Best game of all time shouldn't take into account of when it was first released. It means OF ALL TIME 50 years from now it still has to be better than anything else out. *if it was rated the best 50 years from now that is* Just an example. I agree with most of the list though :3 Although red and blue being the top pokemon game is a bit awkward seeing how it's a broken ass mess compared to the rest. Once again nostalgia goggles D: I would list crystal/ heart gold/SS/ or black and white at the top. But this was more of a popularity poll of gaf general opinion xD

Sure there's nostalgia in both OoT and Pokemon r/b/g/'s cases, but you have to realize a game should be judged using perspective. OoT was literally as well made as possible considering the year it was produced. And contrary to your opinion, many people still find it fun to play today. It's still the Zelda I would turn to have the most fun playing (along with ALttP).

Azure J

This thread is also great for making me want to play games in the top 50 that I've either overlooked or dabbled in without completing. I'm surprised that I've only played 36 out of the 50 and a lot of those were very incomplete playthroughs. :eek:

Anth0ny

Melee only 13th is saddening as well but I know there isn't much of a smash fanbase on GAF so its to be expected :(

The important thing is, Melee obliterated Brawl. It was also much higher on the Famitsu list.

In conclusion, everyone hated Brawl and Smash IV should be more like Melee if Sakurai even remotely cares about the people who play his games.

I'm going to play through Metroid Prime in the next few weeks(played the demo at a store, but it's otherwise been sitting in my backlog for over 7 years) and replay Ocarina of Time. If I get access to a Wii, Mario Galaxy 2 will be the first game I play through. Can't wait to beat MPrime for the first time though!

LOCK

I think the title should be changes to non casual Nintendo top 50 and it would be more appropriate.

Great list though, can't really complain since all 50 games are great in their own right, just some overlooked title.

Top Bottom