• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Top 50 Nintendo games of all Time

How did I miss this? I would probably have listed:

SSB Brawl
Mario 1
Advance Wars DS
Mario Galaxy
Wind Waker
Mario 64
Star Fox
Donkey Kong Country
Wario Ware
Wave Race 64

Thores

You guys need to play Kirby Superstar, please grab a coop partner and do it!

I almost voted for KSS, but then ended up being the only guy in the entire thread that voted for Kirby's Dream Land 3. Which is an even bigger travesty, if you ask me.

illadelph

Punch-Out!! likely had its votes split due to title ambiguity. "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" went to the NES game and "Punch-Out!!" went to the Wii game.

This is kind of bullshit, because Nintendo did eventually remove Mike Tyson from the NES game and replace him with "Mr. Dream." Those versions of the game simply went by "Punch-Out!!" To this day, when Nintendo references the NES game, they emit the "Mike Tyson's" from the title. For example, the NES game "Punch-Out!!" is obtainable in Animal Crossing. A lot of those votes were SURELY for the classic NES game.

Here's two NES boxes for comparison:

250px-Mike_Tyson's_Punch_Out!!_Boxart.jpg

nintendo-nes-punchout.jpg

hatmoza

That is a really good list.

I was only recently reminded of that gem Advance Wars. Almost forgot about that.

I really need to play Mother 3. It's been on my backlog list for ages.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
9 Points for Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and I'm 4 of them? With only two other people voting for it? Well fuck you all!

Honestly its kind of scary how many great games there are on that list and its really only Nintendo you get that feeling from.

fuckers, forgot to vote, my votes could have pushed some games to higher places

good top ten but i don't think wind waker should be in the top 20, but heh

I am happy Metroid Prime is so high on that list. You look at what it accomplished, at it makes no sense how it was so amazing. Troubled western dev that had yet to ship a game? Check. Complete genre shift that somehow retained exactly the feeling of the previous games? Check. Graphic/Sound/Level design that still holds up 10 years later? Check.

Crazy.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I am now replaying Super Metroid thanks to this thread when I should really be getting some sleep, lol.

Very happy to see Super Metroid all the way up there.

This is kind of bullshit, because Nintendo did eventually remove Mike Tyson from the NES game and replace him with "Mr. Dream." Those versions of the game simply went by "Punch-Out!!" To this day, when Nintendo references the NES game, they emit the "Mike Tyson's" from the title. For example, the NES game "Punch-Out!!" is obtainable in Animal Crossing. A lot of those votes were SURELY for the classic NES game.

Here's two NES boxes for comparison:

I understand the history; you can blame Nintendo for title ambiguity.

Ah...it warms my heart to see Super Metroid so high...

Though seeing Wind Waker beat TP and SS reverses this into an icy chill.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The important thing is, Melee obliterated Brawl. It was also much higher on the Famitsu list.

In conclusion, everyone hated Brawl and Smash IV should be more like Melee if Sakurai even remotely cares about the people who play his games.

I read more that Melee has some real hardcore fans who would die defending it, whereas the Brawl fans probably had 10 others games they preferred.

How DKC beat out DKC2, I'll never know. DKC2 is the prime example of a sequel completely obliterating the original in every single aspect. Also, best game soundtrack of all time.

iirate

1. Earthbound - 15th
2. Super Metroid - 2nd
3. Pokemon Blue - 14th
4. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - 51st
5. Super Smash Bros. Melee - 13th
6. Advance Wars: Dual Strike - 79th
7. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan (Japan Only) - 67th
8. Metroid Prime - 6th
9. F-Zero GX - 17th
10. Meteos - 175th

Most of my pics that I expected to do well did really well, although Prime 2 ranked below my expectations, and it breaks my heart to see it barely miss the top 50. I really thought Super Metroid had a decent shot at first, but OoT destroyed everything else.

9 Points for Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and I'm 4 of them? With only two other people voting for it? Well fuck you all!

Honestly its kind of scary how many great games there are on that list and its really only Nintendo you get that feeling from.

Sorry, if I knew that honorable mentions would be counted, it would have gotten one. I went through every Nintendo title listed making my top 10, and it was one of the many gems that just didn't quite make it. I love JB.

illadelph

The funny thing about Wave Race is that no one knew it existed, but it was a best seller (1million+) on the Game Boy with Player's Choice status. Where are the people who bought this game?

BHZ Mayor

I hate that I missed the original thread because since Rare games count, Banjo-Kazooie got robbed, especially considering how much better it is than Mario 64.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Let's see how my picks did...

1. Super Metroid 2nd
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 3rd
3. Super Mario Bros. 3 4th
4. Super Mario 64 8th
5. Super Mario Galaxy 9th
6. Metroid Prime 6th
7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 1st
8. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 12th
9. F-Zero GX 17th
10. Xenoblade Chronicles (EU) 44th

Honorable Mentions: Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Mario World, Earthbound, Metroid Zero Mission, Donkey Kong Country 2, Super Mario Bros., Link's Awakening, Star Fox 64, Tetris, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario RPG, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, and...well, I should probably just stop at this point, I guess.

All 10 in the top 50, and 7 out of 10 in the top 10. Not bad.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I understand the history; you can blame Nintendo for title ambiguity.
So, if you were doing a poll of best horror movies and someone mentioned Friday the 13th or The Thing, you'd chalk those votes up for the remakes because they didn't specify "Friday the 13th (1980)" or "John Carpenter's The Thing"?

So, if you were doing a poll of best horror movies and someone mentioned Friday the 13th or The Thing, you'd chalk those votes up for the remakes because they didn't specify "Friday the 13th (1980)" or "John Carpenter's The Thing"?

I assume nothing. You're welcome to interpret the results however you wish. Remember, polls like these are not scientific. There's an inherent sampling bias introduced by having voluntary participants in a specific venue. If you ask the general population (by random sampling, not your gaming buddies), you'll be lucky to get "Mario" or "Zelda", much less identification of particular versions of games with the same title.

Basically, just take it all with a grain of salt.

How my picks did:

1. Metroid Prime (6th)
2. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (11th)
3. Super Mario Bros. 3 (4th)
4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1st)
5. Yoshi's Island (10th)
6. Super Mario Galaxy (9th)
7. F-Zero GX (17th)
8. Super Metroid (2nd)
9. The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past (3rd)
10. Mario Kart DS (46th)

Seems like GAF and I don't disagree...much :p

Donkey Kong Country 2, I didn't know would actually qualify...it definitely should be above the original and would probably have had a space in my Top 10.

How my picks did:

1) Super Metroid : 2nd
2) Zelda: A Link to the Past : 3rd
3) EarthBound : 15th
4) Super Mario Bros 3 : 4th
5) Zelda: Ocarina of Time : 1st
6) Zelda: Majora's Mask : 11th
7) Super Mario 64 : 8th
8) Pokemon Red/Blue : 14th
9) Xenoblade Chronicles : 44th
10) Metroid Prime : 6th

6 in the top 10.

Realistically, just about any of these games could have taken the top spot, and I would have been happy. I'm still happy with the results.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Cheesemeister said:
I assume nothing.
Fair enough.

1. DK Jungle Beat 82nd
2. Super Metroid 2nd
3. Panel De Pon/Tetris Attack Uh well the GB version is ranked at 87
4. Zelda: Link to the Past 3rd
5. New Super Mario Bros. Wii 27th
6. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! 67th
7. Mario Kart DS 46th
8. Wario Ware Twisted 100th
9. Super Mario Galaxy 2 7th
10. F-Zero X 58th

Wish some of 'em did better, but on the other hand, being eclectic is nice.

I wanted to vote, but when I had the opportunity to post my list the voting had already ended... too close. Surprised at Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door and Pokémon Red/Blue, I thought they would score higher. Nonetheless, a pretty good list.

Looking at my picks since everyone else is doing it...

1. Ocarina Of Time 1st
Well i've got one right and it was the easiest one to place of all

2. DKC2 35th
I'm still in a state of stun that the original ranked higher, disappointing showing really.

3. SMG2 7th
Got to love how the Big 3 3D Mario platformers are all in sequence with this one riding highest of all, good show.

4. Metroid Prime 6th
I'm going to take out time to mention that I was surprised to see SM at number 2, not that I disagree but i'll always be a Prime man myself.

5. SMW 5th
The eternal debate between this and SMB3 continues with the equal scores.

6. Pokemon Fire Red 138th
What the devil?! this is waaaay down the list yet it outclasses the original game in every way which is sitting in the top 20, any vote for Red or Blue should have been redirected to this instead.

7. Fire Emblem PoR 43rd
It did well enough, if anyone is on the fence about trying the series don't be deterred as these games are easier to understand than one may expect.

8. Perfect Dark 42nd
Still played in multiplayer to this day, now that is staying power!

9. Xenoblade 44th
Hmm, If I swapped the above two around i'd have them going in actual numerical sequence. I wonder how this games position will change over time in lists like this.

10. SSB Brawl 32nd
Hopefully I can swap the upcoming SSB4 in here in a future list, if minus votes were allowed I bet this game would have been banished off the list by the mad melee mob, good to see a high place for melee as well since I like them all.

I was deliberately not revisiting the same series twice during this list (Mario aside), part of me thinks I should have given DKCR its due and thrown it in considering it didn't even make the top 50.
As someone else pointed out it's odd to see that not a single Kirby game breached the top 50.

I read more that Melee has some real hardcore fans who would die defending it, whereas the Brawl fans probably had 10 others games they preferred.

Well, yeah. And theres a reason for that. Theres a reason why Melee still has a humongous following over 10 years after release...its not just nostalgia that makes those in the know swear up and down that its the greatest game of all time.

Eric C

Just looked over the new top 50. Not much of a change.

It looks like Wave Race 64 replaced, the mistakenly counted Wave Race Game Boy... minus any votes that didn't specifically state 64.

And now Banjo-Kazooie got added to the list and bumped Wii Sports off the top 50, I'm OK with that.

Edit
Sadist basically said the same thing a few posts above me, should've read that before I posted.

Right, title ambiguity forced me to combine the two Donkey Kong games.

Actually looking over the thread again every vote but one for "Donkey Kong" specified GB or 94. Basically everyone did their part to overcome the title ambiguity already, they should probably be counted separately given that.

Saroyan

This list is awesome, definitely no surprises in the top 5, but then Metroid Prime is #6?

I've never played it, is it really that good? I've always seen the 3d Metroid games being panned pretty hard on Gaf, maybe that was just Other M though.

Giard

Never saw the topic..wished I could have voted.

Really sad that Kirby Super Star isn't in the top 20, let alone top 50.

Picked up Pikmin 2 Wii version last week, randomly seeing it for 12€ on Amazon. I thought the first one was okay at best, but this shit right here is amazing. Feels like a complete version of the original concept, deserving the spot on the list. But I kinda suck at the series sadly, bosses destroy me...lol

I wanted to vote, but when I had the opportunity to post my list the voting had already ended...

Me too. Bummer.

Sadist

This list is awesome, definitely no surprises in the top 5, but then Metroid Prime is #6?

I've never played it, is it really that good? I've always seen the 3d Metroid games being panned pretty hard on Gaf, maybe that was just Other M though.
Prime is godlike. Play it :)

What? Metroid Prime is universally praised and if you said it was the best 3D game ever made, I wouldn't argue with you. Everyone owes it to themselves to try it out.

LeleSocho

Banned

Absolutely, Metroid Prime is a masterpiece.

The_End

This topic has brought back a few memories. It's also inspired me to go back and play Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask again. I've played Ocarina a dozen times, but I think I've only played through MM twice.

Huh, I was thinking about the list a while back, but forgot to check for results.

I played every game in the Top 50 except the Fire Emblems (I need to play a Fire Emblem one day), Advance Wars (I played a little bit of one Advance Wars game), Pikmin 2, Xenoblade, and Banjo Kazooie.

I love how the two Mario platformers are tied, though. Could not have been more perfect
except if *insert your favorite Mario here* won :p

*Mario 3, obviously :)

Wait, so Ocarina of Time and OoT 3D were counted separately after all? I guess it didn't affect the results, but it seems odd to consider them as different games.

Wow, got quoted twice! I'm flattered!

Can't believe no one's bringing up Donkey Kong '94 in the conversation of scorned DK titles. May be Mario-centric, but it was the first to give him that many moves. Suck on that, 3d whores! :p

Zelda II didn't do too badly. Wish Link's Awakening did a little better.

What the fuck happened to Kirby? Highest game is 74?

Mother and Pokemon had a good showing. Something has to break up the monotony of Mario and Zelda. And as expected, the list has a lot of "firsts" that are surpassed by sequels or don't hold up, but it happens.

Pokemon is not what I have in mind when it comes to breaking up monotony.

But man, no Kirby? Do people really not like those games? Even StarFox, FZero, Pikmin, and Advance Wars carved out a spot in the top 50.

Maybe if we were given 20 slots to vote. (I thoroughly enjoyed The Amazing Mirror. Any other Kirbtroids outside that and Great Cave Offensive?)

PKrockin

1. Super Mario Bros. 3 #04
2. EarthBound #15
3. Super Smash Bros. Melee #13
4. Zelda II - Adventure of Link #61
5. Pokemon Gold/Silver #22
6. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker #12
7. Super Mario 64 #08
8. Paper Mario #29
9. Fire Emblem (7 in Japan) #32
10. Super Metroid #02

I love how the two Mario platformers are tied, though. Could not have been more perfect
except if *insert your favorite Mario here* won :p

*Mario 3, obviously :)

Yeah, that's absolutely priceless. The debate will rage on no matter how we try to resolve it.

Top Bottom