• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix's new movie Don't Look Up

clem84

Gold Member
Another thing to add about this movie:

Leo yelling instantly adds one extra grade to any movie. Leo has overtaken Pacino as the best yeller in movies. With Wolf of Wall Street being his pinnacle yelling moments.
"I will not, die, today!"

tommib

What a load of bullshit. Everyone says it's a fundamental change, everyone but those who've made some changes to their lives and found it to be almost embarassingly easy.

Wanna make a change? Buy less clothes, buy less shit you don't need, eat less meat, eat your leftovers, stop throwing away food, walk more, get a bike, stop getting holiday houses, stop going on vacations around the world all the time. If just a 100, then a 1000 then a million and so forth did this it would have an enormous impact, and it takes so stupidly little effort to do it. It's not hard. It's easy. You don't need to have a PHD in the universe and everything in it to make these changes. All you have to do is be an adult and stop making excuses. Speaking generally of course.
While I agree with your "recommendations", this is far from what the rich are doing. You're asking the low to middle class to give up on the few comforts that they might have. The rich will continue to spend all their money on luxuries that clearly damage the environment. If we saw initiatives being made from the top, then maybe the "little people" would follow. Until then, you're asking for too much.

Kimahri

Banned
While I agree with your "recommendations", this is far from what the rich are doing. You're asking the low to middle class to give up on the few comforts that they might have. The rich will continue to spend all their money on luxuries that clearly damage the environment. If we saw initiatives being made from the top, then maybe the "little people" would follow. Until then, you're asking for too much.
It's not much at all. And it's easy. You don't have to do everything, or muxh at all, but unless you're very poor, most people can easily do something.

But of course crying about the rich like they're the only reason rainforests are cut down to produce food for livestock is much easier.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The carbon footprint of a normal person is bulslhit.
Most of waste of materials, damage and c02 emission comes from big oil, crazy rich and frankly - poor countries and asia who either don't give a shit or are too poor to have a comfort of green choice.
We Europeans are not responsible all that waste.,.. but let's take the plastic shake straws from us lol.. that will help.

It does not matter how much water I run during cleaning my teeth, how much clothes I buy and wear once or how much games in "plastic boxes" I buy. It's nothing

Last edited:
The average American has an ecological footprint about 10x that of the average Pakistani. Are Pakistani's having 10x the amount of babies as Americans?
The US has a low fertility rate so logically the population will decrease with time. However, migrants from other countries is still causing a net gain in population growth with increases the per capita carbon footprint.
Pakistan, btw, has a +9% increase in CO2 emission for the past year. The US had a 2% decrease.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Most of waste of materials, damage and c02 emission comes from big oil, crazy rich and frankly - poor countries and asia who either don't give a shit or are too poor to have a comfort of green choice.
We Europeans are not responsible all that waste.,.. but let's take the plastic shake straws from us lol.. that will help.

It does not matter how much water I run during cleaning my teeth, how much clothes I buy and wear once or how much games in "plastic boxes" I buy. It's nothing

Eh, you realize all the polution China is putting in the air (the most on the planet) is so they can make crap for us right? We just moved our pollution east, but we are still the cause. They export 80% of everything they make...

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Eh, you realize all the polution China is putting in the air (the most on the planet) is so they can make crap for us right? We just moved our pollution east, but we are still the cause. They export 80% of everything they make...
Yes I realize that

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
The US has a low fertility rate so logically the population will decrease with time. However, migrants from other countries is still causing a net gain in population growth with increases the per capita carbon footprint.
Pakistan, btw, has a +9% increase in CO2 emission for the past year. The US had a 2% decrease.
Migrants increase the per capita carbon footprint? I don’t think you know what per capita means.

Last edited:

tommib

Eh, some of the presidents worse traits were taken from Obama (her need to surround herself with celebrities and her only listening to ivy league researchers)
I think the film was quite good at satirizing the whole political sphere and the insane media. It’s not by chance that you see the president on a photo with Bill Clinton. She’s a mishmash of all recent American presidents. And let’s not pretend that Trump isn’t the President that’s easier to satirize. He’s basically a cartoon from South Park.

GreenAlien

We could produce the same amount of stuff china does and still end up with less pollution. Because we have environmental laws. It's not our fault china doesn't give a shit.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
We could produce the same amount of stuff china does and still end up with less pollution. Because we have environmental laws. It's not our fault china doesn't give a shit.

Well, it is our fault. Since the 80s we have been moving production to China because it's cheap and we didn't give a fuck about the pollution. Even to this day. For example the next Mini car is made in China for the first time. If companies like Apple were so green and righteous as they pretend to be, they would have moved iPhone production to California already, but they know they would lose all their profit then. $$$$ > all.

Kimahri

Banned

Did you know a lot of countries send their waste to asian countires for "recycling" where a lot of it ends up on giant landfills and ultimately in rivers and out into the ocean?

If you buy three articles of clothing per months that you hardly use, it's nothing. When millions do it and say "it does not matter" then it's a very big problem. There is a lot of pollution in clothes production, and a terrifying amount of brand new clothes just get thrown away. It's a massive issue.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Did you know a lot of countries send their waste to asian countires for "recycling" where a lot of it ends up on giant landfills and ultimately in rivers and out into the ocean?

If you buy three articles of clothing per months that you hardly use, it's nothing. When millions do it and say "it does not matter" then it's a very big problem. There is a lot of pollution in clothes production, and a terrifying amount of brand new clothes just get thrown away. It's a massive issue.
i know

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Still not our problem though, yeah?
of course not.
I am not a whole society.
I am me. a 1 person with 1 wife.
Not even kids. I just have my pc and wear 5 tshirts whole year.

If the production was in europe or usa, it would have to be done "green" or not at all. Asia just don't care.

I know that 10% of clothes never even make it out of the store and go directly to waste. I've seen that yt video.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
If the production was in europe or usa, it would have to be done "green" or not at all. Asia just don't care.
I don't know much about production and the carbon footprint it leaves, but China is the leader in producing renewable energy sources and converting their infrastructure to green technology:

"China is already leading in renewable energy production figures. It is currently the world's largest producer of wind and solar energy,9 and the largest domestic and outbound investor in renewable energy. Four of the world's five biggest renewable energy deals were made by Chinese companies in 2016."

"China is the world's leading country in electricity production from renewable energy sources, with over double the generation of the second-ranking country, the United States."

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters

Isn't garbage our leading export

miles118

I don't know much about production and the carbon footprint it leaves, but China is the leader in producing renewable energy sources and converting their infrastructure to green technology:

"China is already leading in renewable energy production figures. It is currently the world's largest producer of wind and solar energy,9 and the largest domestic and outbound investor in renewable energy. Four of the world's five biggest renewable energy deals were made by Chinese companies in 2016."

"China is the world's leading country in electricity production from renewable energy sources, with over double the generation of the second-ranking country, the United States."
It doesn't change the fact that they are the most poluted country in the world still in 2022. So all the datas you provided are negligible.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
It doesn't change the fact that they are the most poluted country in the world still in 2022. So all the datas you provided are negligible.
Sure they're leaving a bigger carbon footprint cause they produce so much, but if they in 15 years can produce the same with way smaller footprint - who do you think USA and EU will buy from?

miles118

Sure they're leaving a bigger carbon footprint cause they produce so much, but if they in 15 years can produce the same with way smaller footprint - who do you think USA and EU will buy from?
Everyone is already doing business with China. That will probably not change before a long time. But you are missing the point. The point was wether it polutes or not. And China is by far the world's biggets poluter with 30 % of polution in the whole world.

Cyberpunkd

No, it just means it would have to be priced higher since the cost of labour in Europe are higher than in Asian countries. People vote with their wallets, even if that cheap H&M t-shirt rips after one wash due to poor quality cotton being used. So you go and buy another, instead of paying 3x for a t-shirt that will last you ages.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Everyone is already doing business with China. That will probably not change before a long time. But you are missing the point. The point was wether it polutes or not. And China is by far the world's biggets poluter with 30 % of polution in the whole world.
But they're also converting to green energy way faster than any other countries.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Here in Denmark we could be close to 90% green energy supply, but we sell lots of our energy to Germany - cause we need the money and it's part of an EU deal.

Kimahri

Banned
Yep. Check out this video on that. Chinese people are sick of living in smog too.

Sssh, it's much easier to just blame China for everything. It's their fault they're polluting, even if they do it to make cheap crap for us.

It's like it's not allowed to say anything good about China because there are big issues regarding human rights and democracy.

miles118

But they're also converting to green energy way faster than any other countries.
Tell that to me when it has happened. Right now they are poluting more than any country of the world contributing to aproximatly 30 % of CO2 emisions, more than any other countries. It's great to have data, it's better to know how to use those data.
Sssh, it's much easier to just blame China for everything. It's their fault they're polluting, even if they do it to make cheap crap for us.

It's like it's not allowed to say anything good about China because there are big issues regarding human rights and democracy.
So we can't blame them at all even though they accept those deal ? It's the fault of the west for proposing and China is just victim ? LOL. They are all to blame but China is the most to blame in my oppinion for those low wages.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Right now they are poluting more than any country of the world contributing to aproximatly 30 % of CO2 emisions, more than any other countries.
They are 1.4 billion people. USA is nearly 400 million..

dBo941m.png

Per capita, many other countries pollute way more!

More data: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dw...na-the-main-climate-change-culprit/a-57777113

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Tell that to me when it has happened. Right now they are poluting more than any country of the world contributing to aproximatly 30 % of CO2 emisions, more than any other countries. It's great to have data, it's better to know how to use those data.

So we can't blame them at all even though they accept those deal ? It's the fault of the west for proposing and China is just victim ? LOL. They are all to blame but China is the most to blame in my oppinion for those low wages.
Is everything black and white with you? Are you not remotely capable of seeing nuance? Because that's the whole point, there's more to this than this overly simplistic view you're championing.

MHubert

So the low to middle class should only do it if the rich are doing it also? I really dont get this line of thinking. Either you believe it to be a moral action or you dont.

The movie was ok-ish, btw.

Hardensoul

This movie was release at wrong time, before Pandemic I may have liked or laugh.

DiCaprio/Lawrence/Blanchete were great. Streep/Hill were insufferable, especially Hill ugh so bad.

Movie is really uneven. With dark elements because of the of Armageddon comet to destroy world but the satire around it was flat, I couldn’t laugh with it. I kept wanting the movie to be more serious due to the dire circumstances.

The Steve Jobs parody guy was awful!!

The movie had some good ideas and scenes, but is ultimately another example from Netflix of why movies sometimes need executive meddling, because this movie has AT LEAST 30 minutes of unfunny fluff that should have never been filmed.

Also, Mark Rylance and Jonah Hill are both HORRIBLE in this movie

5/10

Edit: Forgot to mention Cate Blanchett looks amazing in this.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Eh, it was ok. I don't think it was focused enough. It tried to paint a whole satirical picture when I think it would have been better had it stuck more closely to DiCaprio or Lawrence's futile struggles to convince an inept administration of the threat or the way big tech trivializes human risk for material gain. I get the messages but for a film it fell flat for me. It tried to cover too many issues.

As an aside, it is so bizarre to see actors I still equate to being young(ish) with adult kids. Obviously Dicaprio is mid to late 40's potentially playing early 50's I think so early 20 kids is perfectly plausible but it is still weird to see since hollywood almost always saddles 50-60 year old leading men with young children instead.

Marvel14

Banned
Have you guys seen this? Holy shit it's bad. Like really really bad. The cast is full of stars but the script, the "jokes", nothing works
Seems like if you have a certain political leaning you'll absolutely hate it.

Not surprising.. its an epic pisstake of a certain political affiliation....

Those who don't ascribe to that affiliation tended to LOL several times throughout the running time.

All the cast played their roles brilliantly. Streep as Trump was a masterstroke. But Cate Blanchet blew me away. I didn't even recognise her.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Those critics are just like the fluff talk show hosts from the movie.
Reminds me of the reactions to Life of Brian. That film mocked and challenged religious fundamentalism and offended many people. This movie mocks our ignorant and selfish way of life and again hits too close to home if you can't stand laughing at yourself.

Last edited:

Jsisto

Loved it. I think it was the type of dark satire comedy that you’re supposed to laugh more at the absurdity of how close to home it hits, and not necessary at any particular jokes. I can see how it’s not for everyone, but I don’t think it’s as simple as a right vs left thing. I think people of all leanings could appreciate how it mocks the excesses of social media/material wealth while turning a blind eye to the literal end of the world.

After thinking about it a bit more, I do have to admit that Jonah Hills character was terrible, though, and the movie probably would’ve been better if he wasn’t even in it. Almost every line was pure cringe and not in a funny parody kind of way. Not a knock against the actor himself, I’m sure he did the best he could with the script.

Last edited:
Seems like if you have a certain political leaning you'll absolutely hate it.

Not surprising.. its an epic pisstake of a certain political affiliation....

Those who don't ascribe to that affiliation tended to LOL several times throughout the running time.

All the cast played their roles brilliantly. Streep as Trump was a masterstroke. But Cate Blanchet blew me away. I didn't even recognise her.
I have a certain political leaning. Hate all of them the same.

Cate Blanchet was so pretty.

Gp1

This video pretty much sums up the message.

Just watched this bomb. Is this coming from a official Netflix channel? WTF....
How the hell this movie need an explanation? It shoves his points down your throat from 20 minutes until the after credit scene.

It can't be even an efficient dumb satirical comedy because it's poorly written and completely devoid of irony/subtlety and comedy.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I couldn’t get through more than 30 minutes of this insufferable shit.

I’m all for satires around important and worrying issues in our world, but at least attempt to fucking do it in a way that’s believable. ‘Oh, absolutely nobody cares about the killer comet!’ is lazy, stupid and entirely counterproductive.

The very real and destructive threat of climate change is not highlighted or dealt with appropriately by a bunch of self satisfied Hollywood stars, acting like dickheads, in a script that shouldn’t have got past the first draft stage.

Reactions: Gp1
I want to see a movie similar to this on what would happen if aliens visited the earth in some huge event. (battles between right and left, religion, ect).

miles118

....but at least attempt to fucking do it in a way that’s believable.‘Oh, absolutely nobody cares about the killer comet!’
When the virus appeared I thought everyone would do everything to stop its propagation. You can count on humans to make stupid decisions for politic.

Last edited:

plushyp

The Steve Jobs parody guy was awful!!
So just like the guy himself then

I’m all for satires around important and worrying issues in our world, but at least attempt to fucking do it in a way that’s believable. ‘Oh, absolutely nobody cares about the killer comet!’ is lazy, stupid and entirely counterproductive.
I hear you but I think they were just lampshading how some people willfully ignore things when it affects their bottom line aka money. It could have been subtler but I think they went with an OTT approach on purpose to drive home the fact that people put money above everything else.

Top Bottom