• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calcaneus

At some point they're gonna have to start making some post-Z material, maybe it'll happen in this show if its a big enough success? I'm actually kind of expecting Super to be fairly short (in DB terms that means 50 episodes or less)

Big One

Banned
it's goku and vegeta tho, when have either ever needed a reason to train.

someone like gohan training would demand a reason, not them
Yeah but Goku is training to be a god, something he never wanted to be in the first place when Kami offered him godhood. What I'm thinking is that they're going to give some type of reason, like maybe Goku and Vegeta defeating a god from another universe or something. I mean, it makes sense and really the only plotline they need to explore in the series that would top the others.

Also, Vegeta has too much pride to train under someone. So obviously it isn't something he really desires to do outside of the desire to get stronger.

Once I think about it, was it ever explained why Goku and Vegeta are randomly training with Beerus and Whis? What if the first episode explains there is a villain coming that everyone needs to train for? Golden Freeza was just a sidestop to the bigger picture, perhaps?

Golden Cell incoming.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
God damn it give us a near-adult Goten and Trunks I'm sick of their kid designs

Why should they reveal everything now? the series hasn't even started yet. I'm sure they will have lots of surprises.

Give it time, there are at least 100 episodes planned AFAIK.

I like the idea of having pretty much the old characters in the beginning and then later HOLY SHIT ADULT GOTEN!!!!!..... WOAH SSJ5 VEGETA!!!!! etc.

Oh yeah, I forgot, Beerus was asleep between BoG and RF, but he's shown as being awake in the trailer, so something is up with this preview, I feel like we are missing crucial context.
Yeah but Goku is training to be a god, something he never wanted to be in the first place when Kami offered him godhood. What I'm thinking is that they're going to give some type of reason, like maybe Goku and Vegeta defeating a god from another universe or something. I mean, it makes sense and really the only plotline they need to explore in the series that would top the others.

Also, Vegeta has too much pride to train under someone.
No, Goku didn't want to be "God of Earth" because it would mean sitting at the lookout all day.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Once I think about it, was it ever explained why Goku and Vegeta are randomly training with Beerus and Whis? What if the first episode explains there is a villain coming that everyone needs to train for? Golden Freeza was just a sidestop to the bigger picture, perhaps?

Because they always want to get stronger, that's like the whole point of their characters.

NeonZ

But if it's after Battle of Gods then Goku and Vegeta should already be training under Whis and not have yellow hair.
Battle of Gods doesn't show them leaving to train with Beerus and Whis though. The movie just ends with everyone back at the party. They just were already training and with the blue SSJ forms by RoF. This show could start before they leave to train with them.

This is after RoF guys. A new enemy was mentioned as being stronger than Freeza in the announcement of Super and there's no way they were talking about Namek Freeza. Not to mention Beerus was asleep following BoGs.

It's entirely possible Goku can use both regular SSJ and SSJGSSJ.

Kaze Kyou

Goku going regular Super Saiyan makes no sense with it being after RF though, and Goten and Trunks should be at least a little older looking too. Something weird is going on and I think we need a lot more context for what we're seeing here.

I'm guessing it's possibly a quick recap of the events post-Buu. Someone pointed out that the scarf-costume was seen in the "Yo! Goku and Friends Return!" special.

As for Goten and Trunks, Cell-saga Gohan's height seemed to be all over the place, so it could just be AT sucks at drawing the difference - compare the Gohan from Trunk's arrival to the Androids - there's supposed to be a 2 year gap but he's still a midget. In the Hyperbolic Time Chamber he's still rather small. When he comes out 1 year/1 day after he's finally a bit taller.

Goten and Trunks are probably pre-teens during Super. Who knows, they might have an arc about the two growing.

vMhBxXal.png

Dem smugfaces

I'm guessing it's possibly a quick recap of the events post-Buu. Someone pointed out that the scarf-costume was seen in the "Yo! Goku and Friends Return!" special.

As for Goten and Trunks, Cell-saga Gohan's height seemed to be all over the place, so it could just be AT sucks at drawing the difference - compare the Gohan from Trunk's arrival to the Androids - there's supposed to be a 2 year gap but he's still a midget. In the Hyperbolic Time Chamber he's still rather small. When he comes out 1 year/1 day after he's finally a bit taller.

Goten and Trunks are probably pre-teens during Super. Who knows, they might have an arc about the two growing.

Goku at 15:

k5qmugC.png

Just saying

Toriyama doesn't seem the best at ages

NeonZ

This is after RoF guys. A new enemy was mentioned as being stronger than Freeza in the announcement of Super and there's no way they were talking about Namek Freeza. Not to mention Beerus was asleep following BoGs.

He had to wake up at some point considering how he knows that Whis is training Goku and Vegeta in RoF.

It's entirely possible Goku can use both regular SSJ and SSJGSSJ.

So far, that name has only been used in magazines though, while in the movie it was just called "SSJ". It'd be kind of odd to switch between them like that.

Also, Vegeta has too much pride to train under someone. So obviously it isn't something he really desires to do outside of the desire to get stronger.
Vegeta'a proven more than enough that he's finally discarded his insane pride, the man sung and danced on stage for his family, training under someone else is just another sign of his character growth.

ant1532

Banned
Perhaps. Either way, Vegeta willingly allowing someone to master over him is completely out of character unless it's out of necessity.

yo... characters change... i know... take that in... i've heard they call it character development....

he's still very much vegeta though.

Big One

Banned
Vegeta'a proven more than enough that he's finally discarded his insane pride, the man sung and danced on stage for his family, training under someone else is just another sign of his character growth.
Again that was out of necessity though not because he just wanted to do it for shits and giggles.

yo... characters change... i know... take that in... i've heard they call it character development....

he's still very much vegeta though.
Character development by and large does not exist in Dragonball.

Dragonball is a marketing giant and part of what people love about Vegeta is his independent nature and desire to attain things by himself. I highly doubt that's going to change, even if he's softened up a bit and became a better father to Trunks.

He had to wake up at some point considering how he knows that Whis is training Goku and Vegeta in RoF.

He didn't know Whis was training them in RoF. He actually asked Goku how they got there (to his planet). So RoF was the first time he woke up after going to sleep in BoGs.

So far, that name has only been used in magazines though, while in the movie it was just called "SSJ". It'd be kind of odd to switch between them like that.

I don't see what's odd about it at all. It doesn't look like he'd need his full power in the scene we saw him use his regular ssj transformation. In RoF he specifically said the blue ssj form is using ssj with the power of ssjg, so it's possible he just didn't use the god power when transforming in that scene.

ant1532

Banned
Again that was out of necessity though not because he just wanted to do it for shits and giggles.

Dragonball is a marketing giant and part of what people love about Vegeta is his independent nature and desire to attain things by himself. I highly doubt that's going to change, even if he's softened up a bit and became a better father to Trunks.

lol ok im done.

tell me what happens to android 18.

Vegeta isn't the man he used to be...

tumblr_mu0w4qjNKn1sgvhewo1_500.gif

Dude should just cut his losses, take a ship, blow up Earth with everyone on it and just think he was taking a break for a decade or so. Dude tried being a father, a husband, took the best Earth had to offer and it ended up being total shit.

Trunks ends up much better in the alternate timeline when Vegets dies, that says a lot. And let's not even start with bad arse alternate timeline Gohan vs Bitch Gohan when Goku lives. Goku and Vegeta provided the sperms, they aren't fit to do anything else.

Goku: 'Ok bye guys I'm off to train with this immortal God cat that was so strong I had to ascend to godhood just to not immediately die.'

Vegeta: 'huh, the last times kakarot trained with a god he learned the only techniques that allowed him to beat me, and the second time went ssj3, which I still can't do. Since I've acknowledged he's better than me, maybe I better suck it up and learn to wax on and wax off'

There!

Dude one of the most unique things about Vegeta in DBZ is that he's one of the few characters to go through real growth throughout the show. You think Cell saga Vegeta would have got up on stage and danced? He didn't give a shit when his son and wife almost died in plane crash.

Vegeta has progressed to the point he can easily admit and accept that even his once most hated rival is stronger than him. He completely respects and fears Beerus'power, it would be even more so of Whis who's stronger. It's completely in character that the current Vegeta would choose to train under such a powerful being.

Whats this hard-on Akira has for Beerus and Whis?

2 movies and now in the show? Fuck off already. Damn.

I guess they're the keys to alternate universes?

Dunno.

This takes place after RoF right? Which takes place after BoG, which is after the Buu saga?

Inb4 alternate universe Goku/Saiyans as enemies

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
It's a teaser.

Sure, but teasers can be pretty bad too.

I'm not saying they need to show every new character in the series or whatever. But there's quite literally nothing in there that shows how this new series is going to differentiate itself from its predecessors (aside from Goku's new clothes, and I'm being quite generous).

Moaradin

Whats this hard-on Akira has for Beerus and Whis?

2 movies and now in the show? Fuck off already. Damn.

Because they're the best antagonist the series had in a while. They're the strongest dudes, and they're probably gonna be important for whatever conflict this series will have.

Astral Dog

Sure, but teasers can be pretty bad too.

I'm not saying they need to show every new character in the series or whatever. But there's quite literally nothing in there that shows how this new series is going to differentiate itself from its predecessors (aside from Goku's new clothes, and I'm being quite generous).
True, i was expecting a bit more, looks like could be a commercial for the movies, but still its just a teaser,

At least the song is good :)

Zomba13

I just think having Beerus and Whis, the two strongest things in the universe, just takes away from it. Oh no a big bad guy is coming, get catman and robin to fight them while half asleep with their arms behind their back using only their pinkie toe.

I've only seen Battle of Gods where Beerus was an antagonist so dunno how he's handled in RoF but having super overpowered people on your side seems boring. Same with super god Vegeta and Goku. They are super duper powerful and even if the next threat is more powerful than gold Freeza then it's either Goku and Vegeta against it or Beerus and Whis helping, none of the other characters could even come close. Just seems to me like it'll be the Goku and Vegeta power half hour each and every episode (apart from filler where Trunks steals his mum's car and gets himself and Goten into trouble while trying to impress Mai).

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Perhaps. Either way, Vegeta willingly allowing someone to master over him is completely out of character unless it's out of necessity.

You are misinterpreting things. Goku doesnt want to assume the duty of god (Kami), in the sense of overlooking for everything on Earth on the tower

He is training under whis purely for the god power that's all, not to become a god.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom