• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what to expect, but I want to hope there will be some form of character balance. I mean, sure Goku and Vegeta are practically gods, or have godlike powers but they can't be always doing all the work.

Gohan's power has been reduced to that of his kid brother, or maybe just stronger than Piccolo due to lack of training. Perhaps Akira wants to keep Gohan living the peaceful life and focus on Goten and Trunks becoming the "new blood" and far more capable with Piccolo as their mentor (because at this point it's really all he's good for).

Would be nice to see Piccolo get some strength to at least keep up with Sayian Gods... maybe not strength, but brains. Perhaps like Batman to Goku's Superman where Piccolo can use his opponent's weakness against them, I dunno.

Fist of the North Star, despite Ken being the main hero other characters had their moments. There needs to be more balance rather than X guy gets jobbed for plot development... but this is Akira Toriyama were talking about here.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Also, too. I finally saw Battle of the Gods (well, parts of it anyway).

Verdict: Did not like.

So I was initially pretty hyped about Freeza coming back. But then as we came to know more and more about the plot, the less excited I came to be. The biggest issue, is just
Freeza's new powers
. I'm sorry, while I don't want to relitigate this argument once again,
the idea of Freeza getting such a power up is absurd. It was actually even worse when I saw it because I thought Freeza's new form was only as strong as SSJG, but no, it's in fact about as strong as Super SSJG (and I would like to offer a kind "fuck you" to Toriyama for these dumbass names).

It's true, I've argued that there may have been arguably even dumber power ups in the past, but this one really is on a level of its own (get it?). As audience members, we're expected to have a certain degree of suspension of belief, but in this instance, it's just far too absurd to rationalize in any logical way.

It also doesn't help that there doesn't appear to be much tension all during the fight. Sure, it's not as comical and light-hearted as BoG, but you never really get much feeling that anyone's in real danger.

And then there's the scene with Goku getting out of commission with a sneak attack from some dude who wouldn't have made it into the Ginyu Force
, thus adding another layer of idiocy on top of an already fairly stupid movie.

Battle of Gods had its own set of inanities with the story, but that movie looks like a fricken masterpiece compared to this one. The more I think about the plot the less I like the movie. I'd argue that RoF rivals the worst in GT.
Yeah, I said it.

HardRojo

I'm hyped. There's plenty of room for them to do what's necessary to go forward in the timeline and I really hope they explore the potential of the multiverse.

Mikey Jr.

You know what I absolutely hate about this show?

The fucking resurrection ability of the dragon balls/coming back to life because reasons. It is absolutely terrible. I despise it with a passion.

Death is not impactful in the slightest.

Vegeta sacrifices himself to kill buu? Don't worry, he comes back a few eps later.

World gets blown up? No problem bro.

Thats why I kinda wished this was a complete reboot but with lots of stuff changed.

The fucking resurrection ability of the dragon balls/coming back to life because reasons. It is absolutely terrible. I despise it with a passion.

Vegeta sacrifices himself to kill buu? Don't worry, he comes back a few eps later.

Thats why I kinda wished this was a complete reboot but with lots of stuff changed.

So basically the whole series

Heroman

Banned

The whole point of dragon ball is for AT to write himself into a holes and use anything to get himself out. The dragon ball are one of those things

Shauni

Some people really don't understand that, at its core, Dragon Ball (Z/GT) is a whimsical fantasy series.

So I was initially pretty hyped about Freeza coming back. But then as we came to know more and more about the plot, the less excited I came to be. The biggest issue, is just
Freeza's new powers
the idea of Freeza getting such a power up is absurd. It was actually even worse when I saw it because I thought Freeza's new form was only as strong as SSJG, but no, it's in fact about as strong as Super SSJG (and I would like to offer a kind "fuck you" to Toriyama for these dumbass names).

It's true, I've argued that there may have been arguably even dumber power ups in the past, but this one really is on a level of its own (get it?). As audience members, we're expected to have a certain degree of suspension of belief, but in this instance, it's just far too absurd to rationalize in any logical way.

It also doesn't help that there doesn't appear to be much tension all during the fight. Sure, it's not as comical and light-hearted as BoG, but you never really get much feeling that anyone's in real danger.

And then there's the scene with Goku getting out of commission with a sneak attack from some dude who wouldn't have made it into the Ginyu Force

Battle of Gods had its own set of inanities with the story, but that movie looks like a fricken masterpiece compared to this one. The more I think about the plot the less I like the movie. I'd argue that RoF rivals the worst in GT.
Yeah, I said it.

I've seen RoF and
Frieza gets his ass handed to him by SSGSS form.

AdanVC

I was expecting this

NICba8B.png

Yeahh what's up with that? It was supposed to start right on the very end of DB Z! Teen Trunks and Goten on DB Super would have been awesome. Just imagine how rad teen Gotenks would had look. Especially if he goes super saiyan 3! Ugh. What a wasted opportunity there... But other than that I'm still super hyped for this. In Toriyama we trust.

Yeahh what's up with that? It was supposed to start right on the very end of DB Z! Teen Trunks and Goten on DB Super would have been awesome. Just imagine how rad teen Gotenks would had look. Especially if he goes super saiyan 3! Ugh. What a wasted opportunity there... But other than that I'm still super hyped for this. In Toriyama we trust.

Please please please time jump! Please!

Tamanon

Banned
They'll do a Time Skip, if only because Gohan and Videl's new child will probably start fighting if I had to guess. He can fill the role of tiny Goku-looking guy that the series always needs.

ant1532

Banned

Freeza's new powers

Yeah, I said it.
giving your verdict on something you didn't even see the whole thing of? RoF of does not rival the worst in GT... jesus what hyperbole my god

-Eddman-

Wow, Pan looks a lot like Goku's mom (well, it would be the other way around, since Gine was introduced later). I wonder if it's intentional.

wmlk

Yeah, the teaser disappointed me a bit. I wanted to see a bit more of a change to the characters we already knew.

They might do a timeskip, though. It's been a while.

SeppOCE

Why should they reveal everything now? the series hasn't even started yet. I'm sure they will have lots of surprises.

Give it time, there are at least 100 episodes planned AFAIK.

I like the idea of having pretty much the old characters in the beginning and then later HOLY SHIT ADULT GOTEN!!!!!..... WOAH SSJ5 VEGETA!!!!! etc.

Ahh 100 episodes is fine then. I thought it'd be some 25 episode series.

Santar

I find it incredibly disappointing that Dragon Ball Super seems to be set before the very end of DBZ
where Goku flies off to train with Uub
They had a real chance to finally move the series forward here but once again they were afraid to make any big changes and again it's set before the end of DBZ.
I feel like even with this new series we still haven't really got to see what happens after DBZ, it's like we've been at this standstill after DBZ ended in 96 and we're still there even with a new series.
My interest level has dropped significantly now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom