• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

Alternate forms of characters isn't exactly what most of us had in mind with multiverses.

Most people seemed to expect alternate worlds. In spite of that though, it's also true that they expected the other Gods of Destruction to be unique, rather than Beerus variations... which is kind of contradictory when you add both together.

I'm gonna expand on my theory from yesterday.

Series starts shortly after Battle of Gods and everyone has gone back to their normal lives, Beerus wakes up because he can feel that a God of Destruction from a different universe is coming. Eventually after a few things we get to the battle, Goku and Vegeta are teamed up with Beerus (and maybe Whis?), but they are out matched by Fat Beerus. They do the God ritual for Vegeta and for no real reason this causes Goku to reenter his God form and now Super Saiyan God Goku and Vegeta help shift tide of battle, but not enough. The time limit of the God forms runs out, their power drops a little bit, but it is also brought up that Vegeta managed to absorb the God power just like Goku did in BoG, and then Fat Beerus starts wrecking them. Somehow both Goku and Vegeta manage to achieve Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan at the same time and then with the help of Beerus they manage to just barely beat Fat Beerus, but he has some parting words before either dying or just leaving, he explains that the 7th Universe is attracting lots of attention and that strong fighters from other Universes will begin to appear. Whis tells Goku and Vegeta that they need to get much stronger or the Universe is in grave danger, so he offers to train them. Goku eagerly accepts and Vegeta begrudgingly accepts.
Then a timeskip happens along with a recap of what happened in said timeskip, including an overview of Resurrection F and possibly End of Z if the timeskip jumps that far, after the timeskip the real series begins.
I'm gonna go ahead and say that this all happens in the first 5-10 episodes.

There are 11 alternate universes, I doubt there will just be 11 boring variants of Whis and Beerus. Female Whis and Fat Beerus are probably just to ease us into this new concept, as someone suggested earlier in the thread.

Also, in typical Toriyama fashion I'm sure the Z Fighters won't have to defeat all 11 pairs, because some will be good guys, some will already be dead, and some will probably just never show up at all (like some of the main universe's gods and demon gods).

Malajax

New details

After defeating Majin Buu, life is peaceful once again. Ordered by Chi-chi to earn money, Goku works even as he wants to train even more. Meanwhile, Goten, about to become a brother-in-law to Videl, sets out on a journey with Trunks to find her a present.

This is set immediately after Buu and before the "Yo! Son Goku and his friends return" special. The plot sounds like Dragon Ball to me

-Eddman-

Sounds cool and simple, in a good way. Hopefully we get to see more Goten and Trunks development as characters beyond comedy relief. Will be interesting to see if there's a time skip after the first episodes or how the hell will they justify Beerus' presence.

Anteater

That's a weird place to start but I guess they took into consideration that their audience might not have watched the movies.

I wonder how the story will progress though

-Eddman-

He also has experience as a milkman and a construction worker.

The funny thing is that, besides Vegeta, who lives off the fortune of his wife, Yamcha was the smartest of the Z warriors becoming a professional baseball player. He (most likely) became rich, famous and sports are more or less training.

Sandfox

Well they certainly picked an interesting time frame for this series. I like that it basically picks up right after where the original ended and leaves the epilogue as an epilogue though I wouldn't be surprised if the series jumps ahead after the arc ends depending on how long it ends up being.

If I remember right, he's now a radish farmer, at least in the 2008 special, which is canon.

He's wearing the same clothes as then too.

This takes place before even "Yo! Son Goku and his friends return"? That's strange.

eD1ZjqI.png

Videl and Gohan looked like this in "Yo! Son Goku".

Snaku

Banned
Obviously there's going to be a time skip of some sort, as Beerus and Whis are in the promo material and they don't show up for years after Buu's death. They've also said a new foe will appear more powerful than Buu or Freeza, implying that the first major villain arc takes place after Ressurection F. Kinda weird picking up way before the two recent films, but I think they're just trying to transition into Super smoothly from the end of Kai, who's last episode ends the week before.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
None of the fighters should ever want for money. They could charge millions per minute for their labour and still have governments and corporations lining up to hire them for construction, landscaping, freight, disaster relief, dinosaur control etc... tbh if Gohan had a shred of morality he would have given up on becoming a professor after his first year of university and set about using both his education and his powers to make a real difference in the world.

None of the fighters should ever want for money. They could charge millions per minute for their labour and still have governments and corporations lining up to hire them for construction, landscaping, freight, disaster relief, dinosaur control etc... tbh if Gohan had a shred of morality he would have given up on becoming a professor after his first year of university and set about using both his education and his powers to make a real difference in the world.

In Dragon Ball Online, it takes Goku and Vegeta's death for Gohan to do just that. The result is a book called "Groundbreaking Science" which teaches ki manipulation to the general public, leading to supernatural martial arts and ki techniques being widespread on Earth by the time the game begins.

jackal27

Banned
In Dragon Ball Online, it takes Goku and Vegeta's death for Gohan to do just that. The result is a book called "Groundbreaking Science" which teaches ki manipulation to the general public, leading to supernatural martial arts and ki techniques being widespread on Earth by the time the game begins.

Omg that's adorable. He becomes the fighter his father always wanted and the scholar/writer his mother always wanted as well...

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking more along the lines of using ki blasts to build giant irrigation canals so kids like Uub aren't forced to resort to what is basically human cock-fighting just to feed their families, but I guess that works too. Teach someone to fish and all that.

deleted

So they are taking steps to move the movies back to general movie canon. IIRC all other movies don't make really sense canon wise and now they are back on track to fix the last three movies being the ongoing canon.

CryptiK

So they are taking steps to move the movies back to general movie canon. IIRC all other movies don't make really sense canon wise and now they are back on track to fix the last three movies being the ongoing canon.
Movies fit in fine. They just don't fit in with GT which they wont ever.

New details

This is set immediately after Buu and before the "Yo! Son Goku and his friends return" special. The plot sounds like Dragon Ball to me
Fucking yawn. :(

deleted

Movies fit in fine. They just don't fit in with GT which they wont ever.

ATM, but apperantly Super is taking steps that don't make much sense if you have the recent movies in mind.

Some things are from before Beerus, some after Freeza, some in bewteen?

CryptiK

ATM, but apperantly Super is taking steps that don't make much sense if you have the recent movies in mind.

Some things are from before Beerus, some after Freeza, some in bewteen?
Could just be time skips. It doesn't ever displace the movies.

Shauni

I think we're forgetting DB is fantasy again.

I like the synopsis so far. I'm guessing the "find the present" saga won't last very long and that we'll timeskip pretty soon to allow for Beerus and Whis to appear.

Shauni

I have to ask, but why do people call Freeza/Frieza Freezer? Is it just a joke on the name, or is there actually a region in which his name was translated as Freezer?

Luigi87

I have to ask, but why do people call Freeza/Frieza Freezer? Is it just a joke on the name, or is there actually a region in which his name was translated as Freezer?

DBZAbridged. Goku thinks his name is Freezer.

Edit: Also I look at Videl and all I think is Team Magma.

Edit 2: Oh, as per below apparently the Latina America dub used it as well. I gotta hear this.

I don't think it will reach RoF until the 25th episode myself

That's a long ass time, I mean they aren't adapting a manga so the pace will probably be a good bit quicker, and since the main thing that happens between BoG and RF is just training I think 25 episodes would be really excessive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom