• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Horizon Trailer - Challenges of the Forbidden West

Matt_Fox

For the first part of the trailer I thought it looked like Rise Of The Tomb Raider, both in terms of graphics and gameplay. It looked like a really good crossgen game.

But then that arena environment brought the scale and the wow factor!

Dr Bass

This game looks quite a bit better than the first entry to me.

And the visual fidelity looks really impressive. Definitely getting it. Glad I was able to snag another PS5. :messenger_beaming:

BatSu

Special thanks to reeeee for the gifs

We mario kart now.

tenor.gif

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There’s a lot of people on last gen it’s why they release games on those systems true next gen games aren’t born until year 3, 4, 5 of a new console that said ocarina of time didn’t launch on the snes, nothing against the snes but that would be weird. I didn’t think games would like 2042, Miles, this new Horizon would launch on last gen like you’re paid millions sure.
I Wanna Pee On You Dave Chappelle GIF

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Looking really good. The draw distance is improved a LOT compared to HZD or even what we have in most open world, this is the thing that stand out the most coupled with that amazing lighting.
I think I'm gonna wait for the PC version as I haven't find a PS5 yet at a correct price and I kind of abandoned the idea anyway since Sony is coming on PC in full force.

But honestly I can't wait, I really liked Zero Dawn. A few gifs:

2KNQhDx.gif
62KB5WK.gif
YPcQzsb.gif

Last edited:
Exciting times ahead. This game looks like it has winner written all over it. Really high quality stuff. I'm dying to see the full range of Angela Bassett's role in game. I've avoided spoilers!

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I'm sure I'm probably late lol

Tom Henderson on Twitter:

Horizon Forbidden West is in the media's hands.

Embargo lifts Feb 14th.

Already hearing it's a GOTY contender.

Phase

So what's something new and unique I can get excited about for this release? Looks like the same old boring open world. Nice to look at for sure, but what does FW bring to the table that I haven't already done in every other open world game?

Last edited:

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
I've been staying away from HFW threads but damn, every time I see a new video it's reeling me in.

So I guess it's both HFW and Elden Ring this month for me.

Thanks for the gifs!

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
So what's something new and unique I can get excited about for this release? Looks like the same old boring open world. Nice to look at for sure, but what does FW bring to the table that I haven't already done in every other open world games?
- Actual quality production values
- Actual quality performance capture. Will make the story and side quests feel more engaging than stupid talking heads in so many open world games.
- Incredible creature design
- One of the best looking games of all time
- Massive improvement on combat, especially melee combat.
- Will probably have some of the best combat ever in an open world game.

Its just a fine tuning and enhancement of an already solid first entry - taking everything to the next level - with graphics and production most other studios can only dream of on this scale.

Last edited:

GymWolf

So what's something new and unique I can get excited about for this release? Looks like the same old boring open world. Nice to look at for sure, but what does FW bring to the table that I haven't already done in every other open world game?

It is a reiterative sequel, it does what the first one does in a better way (hopefully) trying to fix all the flaws that the first one had.

If you hated the first one or you just play stuff when they do something completely new, then don't bother with the sequel imo.

Phase

It is a reiterative sequel, it does what the first one does in a better way (hopefully) trying to fix all the flaws that the first one had.

If you hated the first one or you just play stuff when they do something completely new, then don't bother with the sequel imo.
I liked the first well enough but I'm very tired of the open world formula. I need something fresh and new to attract me now. I'll probably skip.

Phase

- Actual quality performance capture. Will make the story and side quests feel more engaging than stupid talking heads in so many open world games.

Its just a fine tuning and enhancement of an already solid first entry - taking everything to the next level - with graphics and production most other studios can only dream of on this scale.
-looks
-looks
-looks
-"best looking.." more looks
-What improvements to melee combat?
-What makes you say that?

GymWolf

I liked the first well enough but I'm very tired of the open world formula. I need something fresh and new to attract me now. I'll probably skip.
Yeah absolutely.

Better to wait a period where you are ready to play and enjoy a new open world than forcing yourself to play something when you are not in the mood.

I never get tired because i fucking love open world games.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Yeah, but horizon zero dawn already did all this.

This is more of the same which isnt a bad thing. Just in 2022, 2 year into a new gen, expectations are slightly different.

GymWolf

-looks
-looks
-looks
I'm not sure how much better the melee is gonna be, even as a huge fan of the game i have some serious doubts myself, but from what they showed you have different combos, an entire skill tree dedicated to melee, spectacular anime style final moves (with zoom etc.), a more heavy response when you hit stuff and some combination with the bow like jumping back using the enemy as a trampoline and shoot an arrow in mid hair to do more damage and stuff like that.

It is improved, we don't know how much, but sure as hell is way ore flashed out.

Almost forgot, you can hit an enemy many times and store some sort of energy on him that you make explode with an arrow or a final melee blow.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yeah, but horizon zero dawn already did all this.

This is more of the same which isnt a bad thing. Just in 2022, 2 year into a new gen, expectations are slightly different.
I mean, even if it was exclusive we will probably talking about the same core game, even massive battles using the new cpu are not exactly new in gaming.

What do you think they could do that is completely new in the genre with a faster ssd and cpu?! flying is not new neither.

even massive destruction is not new in videogames.

They could improve the original formula a lot, but doing something completely new? not sure how...maybe i don't have enough fantasy and forward thinking.

Tbh having an horizon 3 with massive battles, massive destruction, advanced physics and advanced ia\interaction\ecosystem between machines and humans would be already better than my wettest dreams even without doing anything completely new.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Tbh having an horizon 3 with massive battles, massive destruction, advanced physics and advanced ia\interaction\ecosystem between machines and humans would be already better than my wettest dreams even without doing anything completely new.
YES. That is new enough tbh. Thats exactly what I picture in my head. They teased those giant death machines and never even made us fight a single one. They teased massive herds of various different dinobots all coexisting until two trex attack in a dynamic way that we simply never got in the first game. Their concept art showed many different people working together to bring down talnecks.

I see Avatar and I think thats what Horizon shouldve been. I know its a ubisoft game and we havent seen gameplay, but the stuff they have talked about feels next gen.

I think my biggest complaint about last gen is how we ditched all the interactivity from the PS2 and PS3 gen in order to make the games look next gen. Far Cry 2 had amazing fire physics that were gutted to make prettier far cry games. Red Faction games had incredible destruction in PS2 era games. In the PS4 gen, destruction was a four letter word no one wanted to utter. Like you said, flying has been in games since forever, and early prototypes of horizon had flying so it was clearly a matter of graphics over gameplay to keep flying out when GTA Vice City had flying in an open world in 2002. Heavenly Sword had some incredible setpieces with thousands of people on screen at once. I fought the climactic battle in Horizon with a total of 2 people guarding the gates of Meridian. Like come on.

This industry has lost a lot in the last decade and this isnt exactly GG's fault. it's the entire industry. I just hold Sony to a way higher standard than any other teams. Thats why i was a Sony fanboy. Not because of some brand name or the walkman or PS2 150 million sales, but because their games pushed so many different boundries with games like GOW and SOTC, and continued to do so in the PS3 and PS4 era. I was hoping they would be the first ones to do that in the PS5 era but I guess we will just have to wait until 2027 to see a true next gen Horizon.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

BTW, why havent they revealed flying yet. Surely they arent relying on journos keeping their NDAs. Stuff gets leaked all the time through journos talking among themselves so if flying is in they shouldve shown it by now, no?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
BTW, why havent they revealed flying yet. Surely they arent relying on journos keeping their NDAs. Stuff gets leaked all the time through journos talking among themselves so if flying is in they shouldve shown it by now, no?
Theyve teased it (very slightly) in a trailer once if i recall.

We never knew about the Blades of Chaos returning in GOW, ND changed characters in their TLOU2 trailers.. Wouldnt be shocked if GG is hiding flying.

I mean, even if it was exclusive we will probably talking about the same core game, even massive battles using the new cpu are not exactly new in gaming.

What do you think they could do that is completely new in the genre with a faster ssd and cpu?! flying is not new neither.

even massive destruction is not new in videogames.

They could improve the original formula a lot, but doing something completely new? not sure how...maybe i don't have enough fantasy and forward thinking.

Basically yes. Games have been using the same open world formula literally since GTA 3. It hasnt changed. Every open world game has been an iteration of that game.

Until someone comes out and changes the entire DNA, it will always be iterations of the same formula.

-looks
-looks
-looks
Im a graphics whore. Looks are extremely important to me, if a game looks like shit I cant it or the devs seriously. If Horizon was trying to tell a story and expected me to take it seriously, all while looking like crap, I couldnt.

As for combat, theres a few vids that discuss the new combat and plus all the gameplay we've seen it looks significantly improved

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Looks like the same old boring open world.

But it doesn't, though. The environments are more dense, the machines are more varied, the NPCs appear to be much more engaging; in aggregate, the world feels more alive, and I presume that is what many desire the most from an open world franchise. All of the aforementioned appears to have been achieved while progressing a highly acclaimed story line, which you seem to be severely discounting or dismissing all together. Maybe your issue is with open world games as opposed to this specific title? If so, Horizon FW will not appeal to you by default.

Top Bottom