• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New info on Google Pixel 2: You're not gonna like it...

Maybe on Chinese phones of dubious quality, but on flagship phones it seems like it has 3 years max.

Because? It's still a feature that many people want and takes up relatively little space.

See how many people in this thread are saying they won't buy a phone without a headphone jack. You really think all the major manufacturers are going to say screw you to all those people?

jstripes

Banned
Because? It's still a feature that many people want and takes up very little space comparably.

See how many people in this thread are saying they won't buy a phone without a headphone jack. You really think all the major manufacturers are going to say screw you to all those people?

The ball is rolling. If jackless phones sell well enough they'll just continue to remove the jack on other models in the name of cost-cutting. A lot of people say they won't buy phones without it, but when it comes down to it they can't resist teh shiny and give in.

tokkun

I mean, my Nexus 5X had the bootloop issue and neither Google nor LG would replace it despite being purchased directly from Google and it being under warranty (less than 6 months old). The device had no damage and was not altered in any way.

It was my first time going to Android and probably my last. Treated me like shit.

That's surprising. I had a few friends with the same issue and they were able to get their phones replaced without any issue, even after the warranty period.

mlclmtckr

Banned
The ball is rolling. If jackless phones sell well enough they'll just continue to remove the jack on other models in the name of cost-cutting. A lot of people say they won't buy phones without it, but when it comes down to it they can't resist teh shiny and give in.

People who buy things that are missing features they want because of 'teh shiny' are fucking morons though. I don't think there are too many people who actually do that.

GAF and its weird consumption fetish is an outlier. No one who has a working smartphone really needs a new one at all.

hohoXD123

When I bought the Note 4 knowing it would be one of the last top-tier flagships with a removable battery, I didn't think my next phone would be a Note 8, possibly one of the last top-tier flagships with a fricking headphone jack. Wouldn't be surprised if the next Galaxy S phones go jackless.

No I am saying 2018 phones. Dont count on flagships coming out next year to have headphone jack.

And 95% dont really care, just look at Iphone 7 sales. 5% will eventually fall in line. If the backslash translated into less sale, then there was a hope. But now? Nah
I guarantee there will be flagships with headphone jacks next year. People were saying Android flagships would lack them this year, but that was wrong. Will be wrong next year as well. And I'm not even sure why flagships are being singled out here when most smartphones sold worldwide are probably lower-end, mid-range, and/or discounted flagships from yesteryear. And the vast majority of these less expensive phone will still have a headphone jack.

--

There is no good reason to remove the headphone jack. Not a one. The only positive for wireless headphones/earbuds is the lack of wires. I would argue everything else is objectively worse than a wired solution. It's too early to be ditching the headphone jack when the technology isn't there to make going wireless less of a hassle than it currently is.

I still have my HTC One (M8 released ages ago) and I was looking forward to the Pixel 2 to upgrade...hmmmm. What should I do now?

I was looking at this, the One Plus 5 and the LG 6.

airborn

LeEco, Apple, Coolpad, Motorola, HTC, Xiaomi and Nubia have all released flagship models without a headphone jack in the last twelve months. Essential and Google will follow. It's happening.

I miss the nexus phones.
Nokia looks to be filling that void.

smisk

Guess I'm hanging onto my Nexus 5X a little longer. I wish you could bring other phones onto Project Fi.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
In less than five years we went from the $299 Nexus 4 to a $900 phone without a headphone jack. Google learned all the wrong lessons.

I wonder how they will justify it when they reveal it. Better water proof? or just not mention no headphone jack at all

Over-Run

Didn't Google make a dig at Apple during the Pixel unveiling last year about it having a headphone jack while the iPhone doesn't, and now a year later they remove it haha

Jeff-DSA

Guess I'm sticking with my Pixel XL for another year. I don't want a customized Android experience, and I'm not going with any phone that lacks a headphone jack. I use earphones all day long at work and at lunch, while running after work, and while working in the yard. I'm not going to introduce the hassle of a dongle in my routines and I don't want to deal with the nightmare that is wireless earbuds.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Pixels are too big anyway I want an Xperia Compact sized model.

Someone make one with stock android pls.

I hope negative feedback for the Pixel 2 changes Google's mind on the Pixel 3 and they bring the head phone jack back. Unlike Apple, maybe they can be reached.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I hope negative feedback for the Pixel 2 changes Google's mind on the Pixel 3 and they bring the head phone jack back. Unlike Apple, maybe they can be reached.

I know this won't happen but imagine if Apple brought it back for the next iPhone and then google announced the Pixel 2 without it lol.

Mrbob

Well this is disappointing but maybe I'll wait another year. I have a Nexus 6 right now and was looking to upgrade. I like how cheap Project Fi service costs me so I really don't want to jump ship to Samsung and pay more per month to use the phone.

Apple should bring back the floppy disk.

It's not the same thing and you know it. There is no connection or standard that is replacing the headphone jack. Bluetooth is shite and why should I have to get a usb c dongle? That Apple equivalency is bullshit. CD's replaced floppies, digital downloads replaced optical media. Bluetooth is not a replacement, neither is usb type c.

snap

Banned
Maybe on Chinese phones of dubious quality, but on flagship phones it seems like it has 3 years max.

if samsung was ever planning to remove the headphone jack they would've done so with the s8. the fact that they didn't means they're not going to.

then again, i said this about the pixel when the pixel marketing pointed fingers and laughed at the iphone for not having a headphone jack so who knows.

It's not the same thing and you know it. There is no connection or standard that is replacing the headphone jack. Bluetooth is shite and why should I have to get a usb c dongle? That Apple equivalency is bullshit. CD's replaced floppies, digital downloads replaced optical media. Bluetooth is not a replacement, neither is usb type c.
Buh buh buh, no one even uses it anymore, just like buy some expensive Bluetooth headphones that sound like shit! There problem solved!

Why would this news push you towards an iPhone 8 when that also doesn't have a headphone jack.

At that point, the only selling point for me would be the Google vanilla version of Android, which I prefer over iOS. Android and the headphone jack were the only reasons I got the Pixel. It would be nice to have the Apple support. What's the oldest phone Apple supports still, the 5 or 5s? That 5 year vs 3 year support of the pixel is also enticing. The hardware of the Pixel is inferior to the iPhone.

I hate this thread's stupid clickbait title. Every couple of days I wander in here and realize I already know what the New Info I'm Not Going To Like is.

A. Most likely will.
B. Most pack in headphones are, and it's still not being forced to buy new bluetooth headphones.
If you want to listen to your music at good quality quality while charging your phone? Yes you do unless you want to carry around a dongle splitter, which I don't.
Its not a warranted change and there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking issue with it. If it's personally not an issue for you, fine. But it is for others for a fair number of understandable reasons.

If you want to listen to your music at good quality quality while charging your phone? Yes you do unless you want to carry around a dongle splitter, which I don't.
Its not a warranted change and there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking issue with it. If it's personally not an issue for you, fine. But it is for others for a fair number of understandable reasons.
I don't really have any issue with that, your personal needs are your needs.

No one is still forcing anyone to buy bluetooth headphones though.

JaseMath

All you people complaining about the loss of a headphone jack need to get on the Bluetooth headphone bandwagon. You will never go back.

Top Bottom