• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo Direct upcoming Live on September 1st at 16:00 CEST for 3DS

Dee Dee

Hope y'all hyped for Terra Battle 3D developed by Silicon Studio.

I'd pay good money for that!

Best case outcome of this direct:
Detective Pikachu release date for the West.

"lol are you high?"-dream prediction fit for a NeoGAF Nintendo Direct Thread:
Mother 3 out now on the 3DS eShop! Comes with a free unicorn!

I understand your frustration and I don't mean to diminish it, but I wanted to point out a few things if I may, in semi-reverse order.

(1) Though Nintendo originally said they'd only show Zelda at E3, it's not accurate to say they had pretty much no presence there outside of that. We also saw at length Pokémon, Mario Party, new amiibo, Color Splash, Ever Oasis, BOXBOXBOY!, DQVII and Rhythm Heaven, which released during the show.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/06/feature_the_big_nintendo_e3_2016_summary

(2) It's also not accurate to say that in 2015 they had nothing new to show off at E3. We saw Star Fox Zero, Tri Force Heroes, Federation Force, Mario Tennis, Hyrule Warriors: Legends, Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival and Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam for the first time. We also saw new info regarding SMM, FE, SMTxFE, XCX, Happy Home Designer, and YWW.

(3) Regarding this being the worst year for Nintendo releases, we have this year seen:

BoxBoxBoy!
Great Detective Pikachu (Japan only)
Bravely Second: End Layer – The Ballad of the Three Cavaliers
Mini Mario & Friends: Amiibo Challenge
My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda The Twilight Princess
Pocket Card Jockey
Rhythm Heaven Megamix
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
Fire Emblem Fates
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
Hyrule Warriors Legends (Published by Nintendo outside Japan)
Bravely Second: End Layer (Published by Nintendo outside Japan)
Pokémon Rumble World
Disney Art Academy
Kirby: Planet Robobot
Metroid Prime: Federation Force
Style Savvy: Fashion Forward
Culdcept Revolt (Japan only)
Teddy Together (Published by Nintendo in Europe only)

-

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
Pokkén Tournament (Published by Nintendo outside Japan)
Star Fox Zero
Star Fox Guard
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE

I've bolded games that are major releases and have garnered significant praise. Just from memory, though. We also still have Color Splash, DQVII, YW2, Disney MW2, Mario Party and Pokémon to come.

There absolutely have been some worse years.

2006 for consoles:

Chibi-Robo!
Odama
Baten Kaitos Origins (Japan and North America only)
Wii Sports
Excite Truck
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Drill Dozer

2010 for HH:

100 Classic Book Collection
Glory of Heracles (Japan and North America only)
Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver
WarioWare D.I.Y.
America's Test Kitchen: Let's Get Cooking (North America only)
Game & Watch Collection 2 (Club Nintendo only)
Picross 3D
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Published by Nintendo outside Japan)
Art Academy
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (Published by Nintendo outside Japan)
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem!

1000 Cooking Recipes from Elle a Table (Europe only)
Jam with the Band (Japan and Europe only)
Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Japan and Europe only)
Face Training (Japan and Europe only)
Otona no Renai Shōsetsu: Hārekuin Serekushon (Japan only)
Fire Emblem: Shin Monshō no Nazo ~Hikari to Kage no Eiyū~ (Japan only)

2012 for consoles:

Rhythm Heaven Fever
PokéPark 2: Wonders Beyond
Mario Party 9
Kirby's Dream Collection (Japan and North America only)
The Last Story (Published by Nintendo outside of North America)
Inazuma Eleven Strikers (Published by Nintendo in Europe only)
Project Zero 2: Wii Edition (Japan and Europe only)'
Kiki Trick (Japan only)
Just Dance Wii 2 (Japan only)
New Super Mario Bros. U
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (Published by Nintendo outside Japan)
Nintendo Land
Sing Party (North America and Europe only)

I hesitate to get too far in with these comparisons but I think at least it's fair to say there have been worse years individually for consoles and handhelds separately, and equal quality years for consoles and HH combined.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_products

2012 also had 2 pokemon games, BW2.

what-ok

I expect some new animal crossing content and what the hell, the reveal of a new IP we haven't a clue about.
I'm delusional at best.

Raitaro

Forget about being disappointed about no NX, I consider this 3DS Direct another slap in the face of Wii U owners. (Unless they plan to do a separate Wii U Direct later - which I highly doubt.)

I mean, not even a few 3DS upscaled games or outsourced remasters to announce for Wii U to help bridge the now even bigger gap till NX and Zelda? Or some updates then at least for older games?

What kind of a message does their Wii U release policy in 2016 send to customers? "If the latest Nintendo system you purchased ends up under-selling, don't expect us to support it during its (unexpectedly fast arrived) twilight years for those of you that did buy it"...?

I'm probably being overly bitter here but still, it just feels wrong somehow how easy it seems for them to keep releasing game after game on 3DS while simply sweeping the Wii U and it's - by comparison dire - amount of games these last few years under the rug. They even seem to be geting away with it because people are clamouring for the NX at this point.

Oregano

I'd pay good money for that!

Best case outcome of this direct:
Detective Pikachu release date for the West.

"lol are you high?"-dream prediction fit for a NeoGAF Nintendo Direct Thread:
Mother 3 out now on the 3DS eShop! Comes with a free unicorn!

Damon straight.

Is this post supposed to sound like a bad thing? Because it sounds like a stone's throw from The Last Story 2 to me.

Hell no, it's also the closest thing we'll get to a Bravely Third.

Phaezyk

And yet people will expect some NX info and get disappointed and complain on internet like "JUST SHOW THE FUCKING THING NINTENDO"

I am convinced Nintendo wants to ride out the storm of questioning until march 2017 when they unveil and then say "It's available now/tomorrow" like Apple.

I don't follow Apple announcements much; if something of theirs leaks ahead of time do they acknowledge it in any way between the leak and release or do they also just ride it out and announce it when they feel is appropriate?

Scrawnton

There is still a TON of mileage left for 3DS and I'm glad Nintendo still thinks so. I'm not going to ignore my current handheld just because I'm eagerly anticipating the next.

Anastasis

Nintendo, I am not buying anything this holiday unless I know it won't ever come out for the NX. So please preface all 3DS announcements with "Never coming to the NX..."

Thank you!

Forget about being disappointed about no NX, I consider this 3DS Direct another slap in the face of Wii U owners. (Unless they plan to do a separate Wii U Direct later - which I highly doubt.)

I mean, not even a few 3DS upscaled games or outsourced remasters to announce for Wii U to help bridge the now even bigger gap till NX and Zelda? Or some updates then at least for older games?

What kind of a message does their Wii U release policy in 2016 send to customers? "If the latest Nintendo system you purchased ends up under-selling, don't expect us to support it during its (unexpectedly fast arrived) twilight years for those of you that did buy it"...?

I'm probably being overly bitter here but still, it just feels wrong somehow how easy it seems for them to keep releasing game after game on 3DS while simply sweeping the Wii U and it's - by comparison dire - amount of games these last few years under the rug. They even seem to be geting away with it because people are clamouring for the NX at this point.
Continuing to develop software for the Wii U at this point would be a waste of time and resources that are much better spent on NX. Like it or not, the Wii U is a failure. With any console you ALWAYS take the risk of support drying up if the system doesn't do well. As a Wii U launch buyer, I can say that anyone buying a system for future support is an idiot, because that's never guaranteed. Buy a system because there are games already out on it that you want, because a system dying prematurely is always a risk

Given what they want to do with nx, this is a large waste of money and fundamentally b pointless at this point.

And theres more than 5 times the amount of 3ds owners than wii u.

Randomizer

You blue balling bastards...

Could you please at least give a hint of when NX will be fully unveiled this time? K, thanks.

I am convinced Nintendo wants to ride out the storm of questioning until march 2017 when they unveil and then say "It's available now/tomorrow" like Apple.

I don't follow Apple announcements much; if something of theirs leaks ahead of time do they acknowledge it in any way between the leak and release or do they also just ride it out and announce it when they feel is appropriate?
Nintendo's gone on record numerous times saying we'll get more details this year. he only way we don't get anything by the end of 2016 is if NX has been delayed to Holiday 2017, which I don't think NIntendo can really afford at this point.

And Nintendo needs time to let the news get out there. Apple can get away with it because
1. They're apple, and are fundementally on a different scale to companies like Nintendo
2. People generally just get new phones based on their contracts, so not much point in drumming up excite in advance

maxcriden

I'm not sure I agree. I realize it want the longest supported Nintnedo system but it was supported far beyond when sales dictated Nintendo should have given up on it, and that continued support gave us some acclaimed and quality games. I think Nintendo has more than done right by Wii U purchasers.

Given what they want to do with nx, this is a large waste of money and fundamentally b pointless at this point.

And theres more than 5 times the amount of 3ds owners than wii u.

Honestly, while I see why Nintendo is doing whatever they're doing (and while I'd be doing something completely different) right now, at this point it's hard to say what they really want to do with NX.

lt519

To be fair they could have released just Pocket Card Jockey this year and I'd still be a happy customer. That game is like crack. It'd be cool to see some updates/DLC for it.

Griss

Advance Wars would be great or even a new Golden Sun.

We're at the stage where any new announcement for 3DS would piss me off that it wasn't on NX instead. If Advance Wars was announced for 3DS I'd be pissed. Why so late? Why not on NX?

I'm done with my 3DS, it's stone age at this stage. Release what you have left and then let's move on.

Phaezyk

Nintendo's gone on record numerous times saying we'll get more details this year. he only way we don't get anything by the end of 2016 is if NX has been delayed to Holiday 2017, which I don't think NIntendo can really afford at this point.

And Nintendo needs time to let the news get out there. Apple can get away with it because
1. They're apple, and are fundementally on a different scale to companies like Nintendo
2. People generally just get new phones based on their contracts, so not much point in drumming up excite in advance

That makes sense. What are your thoughts on the wait so far, then?

Oregano

I'm not sure I agree. I realize it want the longest supported Nintnedo system but it was supported far beyond when sales dictated Nintendo should have given up on it, and that continued support gave us some acclaimed and quality games. I think Nintendo has more than done right by Wii U purchasers.

Nintendo's treatment of Wii U has been saintly compared to Sony's treatment of Vita. Their last internal project was two or three years ago now.

Expecting this to function mostly as a "get the remaining 3DS news out of the way" Direct, which I'm cool with.

Not going in with particularly lofty expectations.

That makes sense. What are your thoughts on the wait so far, then?

No idea. If they do announce it some time in September as Eurogamer rumors indicated, than 6-7 Months is enough time to raise awareness and show it off. That said, I think there's a good chance the NX will only come out in Q2 2017

maxcriden

No idea. If they do announce it some time in September as Eurogamer rumors indicated, than 6-7 Months is enough time to raise awareness and show it off. That said, I think there's a good chance the NX will only come out in Q2 2017

If that happens, they miss this financial year, despite repeated assurances it would launch this FY.

MLH

Hoping for a Culdcept Revolt localisation, love that series, deserves a push in the west. Also Etrian Odyssey V though I think Atlus will announce that when they're ready, would expect them to push SMTIV Apocalypse in this direct.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Bit of a shame that people are freaking out about Nintendo still having software and hardware they want to sell in 2016 and early 2017. They've mostly given up on the Wii U with the exception of two promised games (the sequel to Sticker Star and the big fish, Zelda). Zelda is obviously huge, and in fact, going by rumours, if the NX is only 720p as a max (let's say there's no secret sauce in the console stand or whatever also), then the resolution will be the same between Wii U and NX. It could be like TP and not enhanced on NX at all. If so a relatively equal version of Zelda U that will be rarer in the future is a consolation prize for Wii U owners.

But 3DS has a lot more than 2 games upcoming, especially in Japan where Japanese 3rd party support is still kicking, but even outside of Japan stuff there is loads of stuff that needs to be advertised. Hell, we haven't heard a word on DQVIII from a Direct since November 2015 and it's not yet listed on NOA's site. That's just one example, there's actually quite a bit that could be announced for Western release on 3DS right now:

-Monster Hunter Stories (likely)
-Puyo Puyo Chronicles (unlikely at least at this point and uncertain that it'd even be announced on a Nintendo Direct)
-Dragon Quest XI or Joker 3 (unlikely as we're probably talking 2018)
-Unannounced game
-Unannounced big Japanese third party game from a big franchise

I understand being disappointed, but that's why Nintendo shouldn't be shocked if all their NX info leaks ahead of time since they're leaving it so late, but it's nothing to do with us otherwise, Nintendo really wants to bring the reveal down to the wire. I mean 1 September would already be late.

udivision

I just realized something.

When the 3DS is finally put into the grave, and we only have the NX.

Every direct will be an NX Direct.

No more opening the fridge only to realize it's all 3DS news (or all Wii U news for 3DS fans).

The handheld is the console. The console is the handheld.

Fun times will be had by all.

Torokil

my guess:

40 minutes total

10 minutes on Mario Party
5 minutes on Animal Crossing update
5 minutes on indies
10 minutes on localizations
5 minutes on Pokemon
5 minutes on ever oasis

thats it

You blue balling bastards...

Could you please at least give a hint of when NX will be fully unveiled this time? K, thanks.

Exactly what they did. They specified when it will be unveiled this time, specifically it WON'T be unveiled this time.

We're at the stage where any new announcement for 3DS would piss me off that it wasn't on NX instead. If Advance Wars was announced for 3DS I'd be pissed. Why so late? Why not on NX?

Pipelines, pipelines, pipelines. Also lack of upgrade urge in Japan.

I understand your frustration and I don't mean to diminish it, but I wanted to point out a few things if I may, in semi-reverse order.

Thanks for the lists; you are right that the year is better on paper than some others in Nintendo's past, especially when you isolate the releases on Handhelds and consoles. But it collectively has been poor between both 3DS and WiiU. But years like 06 which were awful on consoles, were made easier by releases and content on other systems; like I remember DS being pretty fantastic that year. And even if it wasn't the worst outright I'd say it's close enough to being that to where it's just not something that Nintendo should find to be acceptable

And what is different between previous droughts or tough release schedules in Nintendo's past and now is that, back then we knew what was coming. We always had an idea of what awesome stuff was just around the corner or in the pipeline, or what to expect. Knowing what is coming next often makes tough waits easier. It's not even about the system for me at this point; I'd like to know what games we will be playing outside Zelda through next year. Yet we don't know of anything.

We've never been completely in the dark for so long about what is in store for Nintendo's future. We have a ton of rumors but really no clue as to what is coming, or real confirmation of anything.

If that happens, they miss this financial year, despite repeated assurances it would launch this FY.

Maybe, but it's worth noting that Nintendo never included NX sales in their FY expectations, and it might mean they aren't actually confident they can get it out by March. Repeated assurances is more just "we have no new news to announce". Just like how people were convinced despite all evidence that Persona 5 would be out in 2015 because right until the last minute atlus pr kept saying "2015"

Oregano

I just realized something.

When the 3DS is finally put into the grave, and we only have the NX.

Every direct will be an NX Direct.

No more opening the fridge only to realize it's all 3DS news (or all Wii U news for 3DS fans).

The handheld is the console. The console is the handheld.

Fun times will be had by all.

Mobile directs.

Zoon

You guys keep asking for the announcement of tbe announcement when we already know when it will be.
"later this year"

maxcriden

Thanks for the lists; you are right that the year is better on paper than some others in Nintendo's past, especially when you isolate the releases on Handhelds and consoles. But it collectively has been poor between both 3DS and WiiU. But years like 06 which were awful on consoles, were made easier by releases and content on other systems; like I remember DS being pretty fantastic that year. And even if it wasn't the worst outright I'd say it's close enough to being that to where it's just not something that Nintendo should find to be acceptable

And what is different between previous droughts or tough release schedules in Nintendo's past and now is that, back then we knew what was coming. We always had an idea of what awesome stuff was just around the corner or in the pipeline, or what to expect. Knowing what is coming next often makes tough waits easier. It's not even about the system for me at this point; I'd like to know what games we will be playing outside Zelda through next year. Yet we don't know of anything.

We've never been completely in the dark for so long about what is in store for Nintendo's future. We have a ton of rumors but really no clue as to what is coming, or real confirmation of anything.

I totally get where you're coming from and I badly want to see NX and its games also. But I guess I don't know if I can agree that we in the paat always knew what was coming with Nintendo and its games and were less in the dark. I know it feels bad to be in the dark right now. I just remember I guess that there were just aslong stretches in the past where we had no clue what was coming next from Nintendo. I can look up specific examples but if you remember differently specifically so I'd definitely want to be corrected. ☺

L Thammy

As a special surprise, Nintendo is making their first foray into VR by teaming up with Japanese developer Illusion. Sexy Peach Zero will be coming to New 3DS in 2017.

Top Bottom