• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo Direct upcoming Live on September 1st at 16:00 CEST for 3DS

I really hope this is the last direct before the NX gets completely revealed. I mean, what else can they announce or talk about for the 3DS besides Pokemon Sun/Moon?

oti

Banned
I just realized something.

When the 3DS is finally put into the grave, and we only have the NX.

Every direct will be an NX Direct.

No more opening the fridge only to realize it's all 3DS news (or all Wii U news for 3DS fans).

The handheld is the console. The console is the handheld.

Fun times will be had by all.

I am so ready!

I am not ready!

I'm not sure wether I'm ready!

maxcriden

Maybe, but it's worth noting that Nintendo never included NX sales in their FY expectations, and it might mean they aren't actually confident they can get it out by March. Repeated assurances is more just "we have no new news to announce". Just like how people were convinced despite all evidence that Persona 5 would be out in 2015 because right until the last minute atlus pr kept saying "2015"

You're absolutely right that they didn't include the sales in their forecasts so that does give them a bit of wiggle room. However, I still believe that until not long ago they planned to get the system out this year, based on the marketing leak from Trev, so my inclination is to think that they delayed it to March with a built-in caution towards making sure that's enough time to release it then. They also uavent in 20 or so years announced a release month for a product and changed that so I'm skeptical they'd start to now of all times.

Chiramii

My heart skipped a beat, then I read "3DS"... C'mon ninty.

No more opening the fridge only to realize it's all 3DS news (or all Wii U news for 3DS fans).

Aw yiss

L Thammy

When are they going to announce the NX Neo? Nintendo blueballing us.

Doesn't seem likely since it's a worldwide direct but smt4 final release date for eu is the only thing right now that Nintendo could impress me with.

I totally get where you're coming from and I badly want to see NX and its games also. But I guess I don't know if I can agree that we in the paat always knew what was coming with Nintendo and its games and were less in the dark. I know it feels bad to be in the dark right now. I just remember I guess that there were just aslong stretches in the past where we had no clue what was coming next from Nintendo. I can look up specific examples but if you remember differently specifically so I'd definitely want to be corrected. ☺
From what I can remember, the poor 06 for example

There were a lot of games I was excited about, like Brawl, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, and (I think Mario Kart Wii had been announced at that time too) plus a slew of titles, some ended up being either great, or crappy waggle nonsense when I thought motion controls were the coolest thing ever.

Or the N64 draughts, there always seemed to be some megaton on the horizon

Only time I specifically remember feeling like this in regards to "what the fuck is going on at Nintendo right now" was the hours after their e3 08 show, when Wii Music was their big announcement and having to listen to reggie explain why Animal Crossing was their hardcore game announcement for the Holidays.

Oregano

Well... unlike the 3DS, I actually have a phone. And I'm willing to download and play games that are free.

But yeah... hearing "New Nintendo Direct" and then "Mobile Only" would be... annoying.

You don't own a 3DS?
56701836.gif

I don't really think they would be under the same brand. Mobile software in general tends to not benefit from being examined.

It was a joke, I'm not sure they'll be producing enough mobile games to justify directs for now.

It is almost like Nintendo has finally unified into one console, amirite? /s

jmizzal

Nintendo, I am not buying anything this holiday unless I know it won't ever come out for the NX. So please preface all 3DS announcements with "Never coming to the NX..."

Thank you!

same here, not buying any digital stuff on my WiiU until I know how NX transfer will work

maxcriden

From what I can remember, the poor 06 for example

There were a lot of games I was excited about, like Brawl, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, and (I think Mario Kart Wii had been announced at that time too) plus a slew of titles, some ended up being either great, or crappy waggle nonsense when I thought motion controls were the coolest thing ever.

Or the N64 draughts, there always seemed to be some megaton on the horizon

Only time I specifically remember feeling like this in regards to "what the fuck is going on at Nintendo right now" was the hours after their e3 08 show, when Wii Music was their big announcement and having to listen to reggie explain why Animal Crossing was their hardcore game announcement for the Holidays.

Okay, I see what you mean. Yeah, there have definitely been times when Nintendo despite unexciting current software has had the promise of more interesting upcoming SW waiting in the wings. '06 as you said is a good example of that, but then I guess all I was saying is that 2008 as you said (and I think a couple years or so later, like post-Wii pre-Wii U) we had a similar situation with lack of upcoming gaming knowledge, and then I think liiking back to like late N64 years I remember the larder for upcoming games feeling pretty dry on the knowledge front. So I think there are for sure cases of both and we've absolutely had times where we knew about many upcoming games that felt worthy of copious hype, and right now might not feel as much like one of those, but hopefully he NX software reveal (whether it happens alongside the system reveal or not) as well as next E3 perhaps, will get us back into that forward-looking game hype rame of mind more so.

At least now we have Zelda. That's better than those years. 😉

I'm honestly having trouble thinking of how this'll end up as anything more than a Pokemon event outside of name service for games like Spirit of Justice. Is Fire Emblem DLC still going on? Amiibo support for decades old games? More Federation Force?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I really hope this is the last direct before the NX gets completely revealed. I mean, what else can they announce or talk about for the 3DS besides Pokemon Sun/Moon?

I am in EU
I would be blessed if they talk about

Ace attorney 6
Dragon quest VII
Sonic ice & fire
Pokémon Sun moon
Smt V final
7th dragon
Ever oasis
YW 2
Dragon quest 8
Etrian oddissey 5
Monster hunter stories with amiibo
Mario party
Digimon
One piece colosseum
Dragon Ball fusion
Culdcept Revolt
Puyo puyo anniversary
Monster Strike 3d
Puzzle & dragon z
YW busters

dtm808

Forget about being disappointed about no NX, I consider this 3DS Direct another slap in the face of Wii U owners. (Unless they plan to do a separate Wii U Direct later - which I highly doubt.)

I mean, not even a few 3DS upscaled games or outsourced remasters to announce for Wii U to help bridge the now even bigger gap till NX and Zelda? Or some updates then at least for older games?

What kind of a message does their Wii U release policy in 2016 send to customers? "If the latest Nintendo system you purchased ends up under-selling, don't expect us to support it during its (unexpectedly fast arrived) twilight years for those of you that did buy it"...?

I'm probably being overly bitter here but still, it just feels wrong somehow how easy it seems for them to keep releasing game after game on 3DS while simply sweeping the Wii U and it's - by comparison dire - amount of games these last few years under the rug. They even seem to be geting away with it because people are clamouring for the NX at this point.

They are working on NX now (internal studios, monolith, next level, retro etc). What little they have left is probably working on 3ds.

Hugstable

Banned
All I need is a date for Dragon Quest VIII. Expect a ton of coverage on the games that are coming out this month like DQVII, SMT, Yo-Kai, etc as well as Pokemans. Maybe 1-2 annoucements for games early next year or so.

Dee Dee

I'm honestly having trouble thinking of how this'll end up as anything more than a Pokemon event outside of name service for games like Spirit of Justice. Is Fire Emblem DLC still going on? Amiibo support for decades old games? More Federation Force?

How do you personally feel about Dragon Quest? Explore your emotions.

Price drop is a feasible thing too. Indie sizzle reel. Lots of "Please understand".

I think once we find out the length we'll know more. 40min or above might hold some surprises, but anything below could still be reasonably filled with release date announcements for things we know of (like DQVIII) or small stuff without spending too much time on Pokemon.

Yo-Kai Watch 2
Dragon Quest VII
A couple 2017 B-tier announcements
Localization announcement(s)
The new new 3DS with the exciting new addition of being able to pee in it on the go for maximum portability.

Anth0ny

Forget about being disappointed about no NX, I consider this 3DS Direct another slap in the face of Wii U owners. (Unless they plan to do a separate Wii U Direct later - which I highly doubt.)

I mean, not even a few 3DS upscaled games or outsourced remasters to announce for Wii U to help bridge the now even bigger gap till NX and Zelda? Or some updates then at least for older games?

What kind of a message does their Wii U release policy in 2016 send to customers? "If the latest Nintendo system you purchased ends up under-selling, don't expect us to support it during its (unexpectedly fast arrived) twilight years for those of you that did buy it"...?

I'm probably being overly bitter here but still, it just feels wrong somehow how easy it seems for them to keep releasing game after game on 3DS while simply sweeping the Wii U and it's - by comparison dire - amount of games these last few years under the rug. They even seem to be geting away with it because people are clamouring for the NX at this point.

the way they are treating the wii u during its final year is nothing short of horrible, but the sad thing is nintendo has been doing this with their consoles since the n64: shift all resources to the new, upcoming hardware, let the currently released hardware fucking rot for months on end with little/no support.

maxcriden

the way they are treating the wii u during its final year is nothing short of horrible, but the sad thing is nintendo has been doing this with their consoles since the n64: shift all resources to the new, upcoming hardware, let the currently released hardware fucking rot for months on end with little/no support.

Hm? Why and how it is horrible? Why would Nintendo continue to support the Wii U? They've supported it for plenty long beyond its commercial failure.

Certainly The Great Ace Attorney 1 & 2 Collection (retail) in the West. What else could it be? Well, there is Mario Party, but...

"We are proud to announce that nintendo ninjas have been in *cough* talks with Capcom and not only will The Great Ace Attorney get localized, Capcom will also make a second one right away and release both retail in the West! Please take a look at this video of Shu Takumi pleading for mercy."

They have 50m potential customers to keep happy on the 3DS. The Wii U base is practically non existent, and every person they have working on something for wii u is a person who could have been working on an NX title, and the NX is potentially the most important moment in the history of Nintendo, because if they have another Wii U level failure, who knows how they could recover?

If NX really is a hybrid/dock/whatever, of the two userbases they want to make sure they keep happy, it's a no brainer.

Hm? Why and how it is horrible? Why would Nintendo continue to support the Wii U? They've supported it for plenty long beyond its commercial failure.

Because there is still stuff to be done, and not only the hard sort. I mean, sure, a lot could be better with Wii U and a lot won't be better with it since it would require prohibitive, as of now, system modifications. Games could be patched to fix some technical snafus, but that takes programmers off other things. But expanding VC catalog? That's basically paperwork.

My personal opinion was that, given the approach of as-of-then "shared titles, split machines" implied vision of NX, they should also have ported half of the first-party 3DS catalog to Wii U wholesale, but I can see why that could be controversial, plus I no longer claim to recognize what NX is.

KooopaKid

Banned

Please! Best Nintendo library ever? Surpassing the SNES? We'll see!

TreIII

Maybe the JP Direct will finally talk about the "mystery" MonHun game that Capcom has yet to reveal. XG/Generations U as the definitive last 4th gen hurrah?

Ridley327

Maybe the JP Direct will finally talk about the "mystery" MonHun game that Capcom has yet to reveal. XG/Generations U as the definitive last 4th gen hurrah?

It's the only realistic title that fits the criteria and release period. MH5 is definitely way too early to talk about at this point, especially with all the resources they're pouring into the entire MH Stories umbrella.

Top Bottom