• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: Project Q battery life will last 3-4 hours

Neofire

Meh, seeing that it's meant to used at home. I could care less about the battery. I'm more concerned about the price. Hopefully it's around 150-200 USD

rolandss

I remote play on my phone with a backbone sometimes. The problem is remote play itself. I’ve got pretty good wifi in here and in high intensity gameplay it stutters and resolution drops so it can cope. And thats at home. If actually consider this thing if it did rock solid remote play. But remote play doesn’t work like that. Not even close.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Do people know this is a device that has to be used at a home with a PS5, and that homes usually have power outlets in all divisions?

If I'm already at home, with a PS5, why would I need this? just for 5 minutes when I'm taking a dump ?

Last edited:

digdug2

For a dedicated streaming device, 3-4 hours just seems ridiculously low. Unless it shares the same batteries as the DualShock controllers, I can't see this being the case. I have a Pixel 6a and even with a ton of use, it lasts me ~24 hours on a single charge.

Geruda065

I remote play on my phone with a backbone sometimes. The problem is remote play itself. I’ve got pretty good wifi in here and in high intensity gameplay it stutters and resolution drops so it can cope. And thats at home. If actually consider this thing if it did rock solid remote play. But remote play doesn’t work like that. Not even close.
Get 5ghz wifi. Than it works fine.

Geruda065

This device is for in home remote play only. So it must use direct ps5 connection otherwise you could remote play from any where. As i understand this device is not for remote play over the internet. It must be way better than phone + controller for Sony to go ahead with it. Even direct controller connection to ps5 reduces latency. We will se.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
If they’re going to follow Nintendo go right behind them especially after years of doing homework and seeing switch a home and portable console ascend.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Last time I tried streaming a game in Japan on a mobile network (using 4G), it was shit. Rayman Legends ran, but they was nasty artefacting.

And that was on au as an au customer, not shunted onto the end of the queue as MVNOb users are.
As of now, yes, Cloud gaming is not in any position to replace console gaming. ~3-5 years down the road, the market may start to shift. A device ready to go for that situation would be a good idea.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
As of now, yes, Cloud gaming is not in any position to replace console gaming. ~3-5 years down the road, the market may start to shift. A device ready to go for that situation would be a good idea.

I think you're being incredibly optimistic if you think this device will have a 3-5 year shelf-life.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
It's just an accessory man. It's not a standalone device.
I might end up with one (probably when they hit clearance). That still does not mean it was a good decision or good design. IMO, for something like this they should have partnered with someone that already makes tablet devices. I believe this will be about as successful as the PlayStation TV. Not very.

Buggy Loop

Uuuh this is fake… that’s just two dual senses beneath a switch.

shocked no way GIF

bender

What time is it?
If I'm already at home, with a PS5, why would I need this? just for 5 minutes when I'm taking a dump ?

Maybe you or your family member want to watch a movie or show and you'd like to continue playing a game or you want to play a game in another room away from your PS5.

This piece of shit will be on fire sale for like $100 within a year. But it's not even worth owning for that much or any amount really.

Rulp

I logged in, for the first time in almost 10 years, just to say this thing looks fuckin awful. I haven’t kept up with the industry for years but holy fuck this is one of the worst product announcements I’ve seen in a long time. Who the hell would buy this thing? It’s borderline pointless

What were they thinking? Why weren’t any execs responsible enough to speak up and say ‘we need to reevaluate the viability of the project’ ? What an obvious failure at the highest levels of SCE

I’d bet anything a bunch of Sony employees think it’s shit, knew it was shit from the get-go, and know it’ll be a waste.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Considering what this thing does, that sounds fine unless you take some really big shits or hate your spouse that much.

I logged in, for the first time in almost 10 years, just to say this thing looks fuckin awful. I haven’t kept up with the industry for years but holy fuck this is one of the worst product announcements I’ve seen in a long time. Who the hell would buy this thing? It’s borderline pointless

What were they thinking? Why weren’t any execs responsible enough to speak up and say ‘we need to reevaluate the viability of the project’ ? What an obvious failure at the highest levels of SCE

I’d bet anything a bunch of Sony employees think it’s shit, knew it was shit from the get-go, and know it’ll be a waste.

You probably should waited and have logged in after we get 100% details.

Top Bottom