• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: Project Q battery life will last 3-4 hours

Draugoth

Gold Member
project-q-battery.png

Prepare yourselves, because Insider Gaming understands that the Project Q battery life will be around 3-4 hours. Yup, you read that right. At least Project Q is on brand with the DualSense having a short battery life, I guess.

If the retail version of Project Q does indeed have a 3-4 hour battery life, then the handheld might be a hard sell for Sony. Already people are skeptical of its success, with the handheld only being used with Remote Play.

Ultimately though, I think the success of Project Q will depend on its price. A $200 or less price tag could see the accessory sell in strong numbers, but PlayStation has been notorious for having high price tags on its products.

Whatever the case may be, we should hear more about Project Q soon. “We look forward to sharing more information in the near future”, said CEO Jim Ryan. The release is slated for “later this year”, said Jim Ryan, which Insider Gaming understands to be mid-late November 2023.

Last edited:

jm89

Honestly i was expecting worse, but that still is not good.

You could probably buy a cheapo chinese android phone with an OLED screen and get more longer battery life out of it for remote play.

If they price cheap maybe the can get away with it.

Last edited:

Dural

Honestly that's dog shit

But at the same time who games that long in a single sitting?

From my experience, it's not the 3-4 hours that's necessarily the problem. It's the playing for an hour, turning it off and coming back several days later and it's either dead or the battery is so low you have to charge it just to be able to play. If you have a device that can do 10 hours you're not going to have as big of an issue.

Imtjnotu

From my experience, it's not the 3-4 hours that's necessarily the problem. It's the playing for an hour, turning it off and coming back several days later and it's either dead or the battery is so low you have to charge it just to be able to play. If you have a device that can do 10 hours you're not going to have as big of an issue.
But you charge your phone daily?

jm89

Charging dock manufacturers

bueno.jpg

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This device just continues to make less and less sense.

If it integrates with PS+ Premium and allows for Cloud gaming, however, then it's awesome as it can be a foundation for the future in case Cloud gaming takes off. It'd also give them an opening in the Japanese handheld market with a dedicated cloud gaming device.

In it current remote-play-only form, this is just stupid.

This device just continues to make less and less sense.

If it integrates with PS+ Premium and allows for Cloud gaming, however, then it's awesome as it can be a foundation for the future in case Cloud gaming takes off. It'd also give them an opening in the Japanese handheld market with a dedicated cloud gaming device.

In it current remote-play-only form, this is just stupid.

I have a feeling that cloud gaming is a part of the plan.

reksveks

Have that same issue with my second phone that I only used for remote play.

Good. The larger the battery the higher the cost and weight. As much as I love my Steam Deck it’s a thiccc boy, something that’s lighter would be great.

Dural

But you charge your phone daily?

I don't actually, more like every other day. I also don't treat my tablet or other portable gaming devices like a phone. When I'm done with them I set them down until I'm ready to play again. Steam Deck would always be dead by the time I came back to play, standby sucked on it.

Have that same issue with my second phone that I only used for remote play.

Yep, I have a Surface Duo that I use for some retro gaming with a mobile controller and Android standby isn't great. My Retroid Pocket 2+ (uses Android) does seem to have good standby life though, must be the shit added by the manufacturers that destroys it as my Android tablet is pretty bad too.

Fbh

Seems decent enough.
How long do you need to play in one sitting?

And since it needs a high speed internet connection it's not like you'll be using on a flight or something like that.

Who is asking for an expensive high-end Wii U GamePad that can’t run anything without being tethered to local hardware?

I don’t get the market for this. Sony wanting people to buy this for remote play instead of a Steam Deck? Why on earth would anyone pick Q over a Steam Deck?

Last edited:

midnightAI

Who is asking for an expensive high-end Wii U GamePad that can’t run anything without being tethered to local hardware?

I don’t get the market for this. Sony wanting people to buy this for remote play instead of a Steam Deck? Why on earth would anyone pick Q over a Steam Deck?
Me? Between me and the kids it would get loads of use, whether that's because the TV is in use, or playing PS5 in bed, or in the garden etc. A streaming device like this could be cheap also (compared to Steam deck or even Switch)

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Confused, it's a home tablet that you play in your house, why would 3-4 hours end your lives? The sky is falling that you might have to plug in a usb cable to keep playing after 4 hours?
That's soooooooo bad! How will we survive? Somebody call a waaaaaaabulance!!!

Top Bottom