• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Quantum Break Impressions & Previews

What the actual....

This is a joke post, right?

Right?

I'm getting the same The Order:1886 vibe he is from all this.

Remedy won't say how long each of the 5 acts is, but given how much they've invested in the story and the environments, I just can't imagine each act taking longer than an hour or so of actual gameplay. This thing is heavily story based with tons of mocap and voice acting. That doesn't usually mean a super-long game.

What if it comes in even shorter than The Order?

I'll still probably like it but I'm prepared for this to get hammered for being thin on content. Remedy talking up replayability and game style determining length ... those are usually code words to mask a short game.

http://www.ticgn.com/details-on-quantum-break-episode-length-emerge/

kpaadet

Just as expected it looks awesome, in both graphics and gameplay/shooting mechanics, Remedy are the best for me, only Valve could compete with them(when they still made games)
Unfortunately i already know that just like Alan Wake despite being a masterpiece it won't get all the attentions and sales it deserves, unlike other overrated but better presented games like Uncharted or Gears
Or maybe.....just maybe.. Alan Wake wasnt quite the materpiece you claim it to be.

This game looks bad. Another case of 'style over substance' just like The Order was.

This is a third-person cover shooter with gimmicks that don't shake up the core ideas of its stale genre. Watching the videos almost every encounter feels the same and there doesn't seem to be much enemy variety or enemies that really force you to change the way you play other than those that are not effected by your 'time manipulation' gimmick.

At least with Alan Wake they were able to cover its mediocrity by putting it into the horror genre and just hide a lot of its shortcomings behind dark environments and shit.

This game will probably flop in terms of reviews or at least be way below what Remedy is expecting. Super disappointed.

Been buzzing glue?

I just don't see anything you just described in those previews, complete opposite.

Going by what I read and saw in the previews this doesn't sound accurate. Which video are you looking at for reference?

I mean, The Order had positive previews, too. How often do you read preview articles that aren't just basic regurgitations of the same few talking points the publisher allows the outlet to talk about? "Game X features Y and Z, it seems pretty neat so far, release date goes here, stay tuned to IGN for more on Game X"

I'm a huge fan of Remedy and I'll probably be there day one on PC, but QB hardly looks that far removed from The Order. At the end of the day we all know how a cinematic third-person shooter goes. We're going to shoot guys and watch cutscenes for like 6-8 hours; the difference here is that it's a Remedy game, so the guy-shooting is going to feel great and the cutscenes will be bizarre and wonderful. Hopefully.

Genio88

Yeah, Uncharted 2 was better in pretty much every department except atmosphere? I enjoyed AW, but it was pretty unremarkable.

QB looks awesome though.

Exept atmosphere? So you're telling me that the feeling-less shooting of Uncharted 2 was better than the Alan Wake one? Or that the silly Uncharted 2 story plot was better than the Alan Wake one? Well it's about taste i guess

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm just going to throw out there, mechanically The Order and Quantum Break don't look at all similar. Quantum Break has movement-based gameplay, not cover-based for one thing, there are no QTE's in Quantum Break, Remedy have already proven themselves to be much better storytellers than what The Order told out, and the big main thing, the 'gameplay cycle' looks completely different between them, mechanically they look different, presentation they look different. They don't have the same stylistic theme, narrative theme, gameplay mechanics, level design type... Gameplay reminds me a lot more of shooters like F.E.A.R. because of the time mechanics and abilities tied with hit reaction and dynamic AI behavior. F.E.A.R. had a focus on being on a constant move to not be overswarmed and AI reading your situation to try and take action, which this looks and from previews sounds a lot more like, than The Order which is a cover shooter, take cover and pot shots to avoid being hit to much, take out the enemies and move onto the next corridor. Speaking of corridors, Quantum Break has big open arenas and have a lot of things to use in gameplay around the arenas to allow more of a playground approach to battles (from what we've seen), while The Order is designed with many corridors that lead to each other and more scripted scenes and scenarios. The only thing they have in common is they're third-person shooters and they both look pretty.

I don't know what people want to see or whatever, I'm trying to see The Order comparisons, but they seem to be on the most superficial level from what I can tell. Unless all future good-looking third-person shooters are going to be measured to The Order of all fucking things.

Conduit

Banned

Remedy won't say how long each of the 5 acts is, but given how much they've invested in the story and the environments, I just can't imagine each act taking longer than an hour or so of actual gameplay. This thing is heavily story based with tons of mocap and voice acting. That doesn't usually mean a super-long game.

Well, if you want to play QB much longer you have ability to stop time in game.

Laeth

Neo Member

I'll still probably like it but I'm prepared for this to get hammered for being thin on content. Remedy talking up replayability and game style determining length ... those are usually code words to mask a short game.

http://www.ticgn.com/details-on-quantum-break-episode-length-emerge/

What would be an acceptable length for you out of curiosity?

Genio88

I'm just going to throw out there, mechanically The Order and Quantum Break don't look at all similar. Quantum Break has movement-based gameplay, not cover-based for one thing, there are no QTE's in Quantum Break, Remedy have already proven themselves to be much better storytellers than what Quantum Break told out, and the big main thing, the 'gameplay cycle' looks completely different between them, mechanically they look different, presentation they look different. They don't have the same stylistic theme, narrative theme, gameplay mechanics, level design type... The only thing they have in common is they're third-person shooters and they both look pretty.

I don't know what people want to see or whatever, I'm trying to see The Order comparisons, but they seem to be on the most superficial level from what I can tell. Unless all future good-looking third-person shooters are going to be measured to The Order of all fucking things.

I wouldn't even bother answer about such a bad comparison, a mediocre game made by an almost anonymous team compared to the latest Remedy game, which is their most ambitious title so far?

Nibel

Its like you didnt read any of the previews. Of people who played the game.

I just don't see anything you just described in those previews, complete opposite.

What the actual....

This is a joke post, right?

Right?

Going by what I read and saw in the previews this doesn't sound accurate. Which video are you looking at for reference?

Been buzzing glue?

I read through the Gamespot and IGN previews and watched the videos in the OP, and nothing stands out. Sorry that I have a different opinion than you on this, but keep enjoying riding the hypetrain where no negative opinion makes sense to you smh

Zedox

Well, if you want to play QB much longer you have ability to stop time in game.

POBZK68.gif

I read through the Gamespot and IGN previews and watched the videos in the OP, and nothing stands out. Sorry that I have a different opinion than you on this, but keep enjoying riding the hypetrain where no negative opinion makes sense to you smh

Choo Choo :)

And don't be sorry for having a different opinion, it's not your fault.

Theorry

Well if you start with "cover based shooter" its not that i dont want to hear negative things its more that people say it isnt a "cover based shooter" in the previews. For example Gamesradar.

The gameplay is really offensive. It introduces itselfs as a cover shooter but then teaches you very quick that you cant stay behind cover.for a period of time because you get rushed like crazy. And the Ai is designed to push you out of cover like Tomb Raider really.

Ricky_R

Exept atmosphere? So you're telling me that the feeling-less shooting of Uncharted 2 was better than the Alan Wake one? Or that the silly Uncharted 2 story plot was better than the Alan Wake one? Well it's about taste i guess

Yeah, except atmosphere. The shooting in AW felt old pretty quickly due to how repetitive the encounters were. The light effect was cool, but not enough to outweight the boring shooting throughout the game. The only highlight that I remember, which stood out from the rest, was the concert.

The actual plot might've been interesting, but whatever plots the Uncharted games offered, were far better told and acted. In all three games.

I can give you actual plot as well though, if you'd like that one.

Warxard

Banned
This game looks bad. Another case of 'style over substance' just like The Order was.

This is a third-person cover shooter with gimmicks that don't shake up the core ideas of its stale genre. Watching the videos almost every encounter feels the same and there doesn't seem to be much enemy variety or enemies that really force you to change the way you play other than those that are not effected by your 'time manipulation' gimmick.

At least with Alan Wake they were able to cover its mediocrity by putting it into the horror genre and just hide a lot of its shortcomings behind dark environments and shit.

This game will probably flop in terms of reviews or at least be way below what Remedy is expecting. Super disappointed.

Gunplay and enemy encounters have to be solid. With all of the Max Payne callbacks from previews, I have faith that the actual shooting will be solid.

Gonna have to disagree with the enemy variety things though.

Not like this, Nibel...

You can have a different opinion but each point has to be backed up. And from the previews, a lot of what you say isn't backed up.

1) "This game looks bad."

No elaboration here doesn't help.

2) "This is a third-person cover shooter with gimmicks that don't shake up the core ideas of its stale genre. Watching the videos almost every encounter feels the same and there doesn't seem to be much enemy variety or enemies that really force you to change the way you play other than those that are not effected by your 'time manipulation' gimmick."

Even just from the previews you've read:
Gamespot - Tamoor Hussain
"Although not particularly innovative, these abilities are layered on top of each other and hooked into the underpinning gunplay in a way that adds strategy and freneticism."

"During various battles with Monarch soldiers, this ability revealed itself to be the most versatile of the bunch, since it has defensive, offensive, and strategic applications. It actually was a crutch in our playthrough."

"Helpfully, Time Dodge-ing directly into enemies delivers a shoulder barge that knocks them off balance; good for when one of them gets the jump on you."

"Finally, Time Shield lets Jack become The One (Neo, not Gabriel Yulaw) for a few seconds and nullify all incoming damage with a force field. This was particularly useful whenever we let our zeal get the better of us, which it turns out was all the time. In a sticky situation, it could be activated to give us the opportunity to retreat behind cover."

That doesn't sound like gimmicks. Gimmicks have little relevance or use. Here the abilities are tied to the gunplay and add an extra dimension. If the abilities were badly handled, there wouldn't be any need to play it as a straight shooter. But since the AI is aggressive and when you get special enemies like the Strikers who can't be shot at cause they zip away or can't be Time Stopped, then you have to use other means to take them down.

"Quantum Break forces you to understand and optimise abilities in the face of aggressive, intelligent enemy behaviour. Monarch soldiers constantly did their best to trap us by approaching from all directions. When in cover, they showered us with a hail of bullets to make us dig in, then followed up with flank attacks. When we retreated into rooms to try and limit approaches, they turned to grenades to flush us out into the open. At times it verged on overwhelming, but that pressure is by design. It’s Remedy turning otherwise overpowered skills into tools for survival.

Each skirmish is painfully intense, flitting between a power trip and desperate crisis management. The constant depleting and recharging of abilities gave combat an electrifying ebb-and-flow. Enemies also react to players’ actions, calling out to each other when powers are used and compensating for them. In turn, their movements could be manipulated by concentrating gunfire or using abilities to funnel forces. This puppeteering gave combat a cat-becomes-mouse quality. As the game progresses and enemies gain powers similar to Jack, the strategy and execution grows even more demanding.

On those few occasions when planets align and you’re firing on all cylinders, the synergy of abilities gives you a control over the battlefield that borders on predatory. There’s an explosive energy to moving around the environment that makes you feel superheroic, even more so when you upgrade powers to add a new wrinkle to them."

IGN - Stace Harman
"The layout of many of the environments suggests Quantum Break should be played as a cover-based shooter, but in reality cover need only be utilised intermittently, when you’re low on health. Outside of this time, it’s all dashing to and from enemies, freezing time to stack damage and creating a stasis shield to give yourself some breathing room while the cool-down timers of your powers recharge.

Combat is empowering – you’re effectively a superhero after all – but throughout the first four acts of the game you rarely feel overpowered, as groups of enemies work together to take you down. Furthermore, enemies who have some time-based abilities of their own are hinted at for later on in the game and so you’re encouraged to make canny use of your powers in combination with one another to get up close to enemies, rather than become over reliant on sticking to cover and taking pot-shots from afar."

Unlike The Order 1886, sticking behind cover doesn't sound like the most optimal tactic. With special enemies, playing it as a straight shooter doesn't work as Strikers can zip around when you shoot them normally and can't be Time Stopped, so other abilities come into play like Time Dodge and Time Shield. You could try taking down the Heavies by just sitting behind cover but you'll get flushed out by other enemies. With how aggressive the AI is, you'll be moving around a lot which is the opposite of The Order 1886. The level design seems more open than The Order 1886 which by contrast was just about progressing forward and switching from a few cover points. In Quantum Break, it sounds like cover is more used as a respite for your powers to recharge or when you're low on health and need to plan your next movement opportunity.

3) "At least with Alan Wake they were able to cover its mediocrity by putting it into the horror genre and just hide a lot of its shortcomings behind dark environments and shit."

Ok, this feels like a tangent seems to have nothing to do with Quantum Break unless if time travel sci fi is just not a genre you're into compared to horror.

4) "This game will probably flop in terms of reviews or at least be way below what Remedy is expecting. Super disappointed."

Kind of pointless arguing over hypotheticals, as you can't really predict whether this game will be a critical failure or success. Just like I'm not going to bother predicting Quantum Break will be showered with praise from critics, because I've got nothing to go on. Even from hands-on previews, because most of the time the preview is from a different critic than the review.

I'm just going to throw out there, mechanically The Order and Quantum Break don't look at all similar. Quantum Break has movement-based gameplay, not cover-based for one thing, there are no QTE's in Quantum Break, Remedy have already proven themselves to be much better storytellers than what The Order told out, and the big main thing, the 'gameplay cycle' looks completely different between them, mechanically they look different, presentation they look different. They don't have the same stylistic theme, narrative theme, gameplay mechanics, level design type... Gameplay reminds me a lot more of shooters like F.E.A.R. because of the time mechanics and abilities tied with hit reaction and dynamic AI behavior. F.E.A.R. had a focus on being on a constant move to not be overswarmed and AI reading your situation to try and take action, which this looks and from previews sounds a lot more like, than The Order which is a cover shooter, take cover and pot shots to avoid being hit to much, take out the enemies and move onto the next corridor. Speaking of corridors, Quantum Break has big open arenas and have a lot of things to use in gameplay around the arenas to allow more of a playground approach to battles (from what we've seen), while The Order is designed with many corridors that lead to each other and more scripted scenes and scenarios. The only thing they have in common is they're third-person shooters and they both look pretty.

Completely agreed.

Ricky_R

I mean, The Order had positive previews, too. How often do you read preview articles that aren't just basic regurgitations of the same few talking points the publisher allows the outlet to talk about? "Game X features Y and Z, it seems pretty neat so far, release date goes here, stay tuned to IGN for more on Game X"

I'm a huge fan of Remedy and I'll probably be there day one on PC, but QB hardly looks that far removed from The Order. At the end of the day we all know how a cinematic third-person shooter goes. We're going to shoot guys and watch cutscenes for like 6-8 hours; the difference here is that it's a Remedy game, so the guy-shooting is going to feel great and the cutscenes will be bizarre and wonderful. Hopefully.

To be fair, and while previews are generally positive, The Order had its good share of negative previews. The game had much more negativity surrounding it before release.

derFeef

Nibel probably watched those finnish videos where the player does not move around at all and plays it like a cover shooter, besides that there even is no cover and blindfire mechanic.

Not like this, Nibel...

You can have a different opinion but each point has to be backed up. And from the previews, a lot of what you say isn't backed up.

1) "This game looks bad."

No elaboration here doesn't help.

2) "This is a third-person cover shooter with gimmicks that don't shake up the core ideas of its stale genre. Watching the videos almost every encounter feels the same and there doesn't seem to be much enemy variety or enemies that really force you to change the way you play other than those that are not effected by your 'time manipulation' gimmick."

Even just from the previews you've read:
Gamespot - Tamoor Hussain
"Although not particularly innovative, these abilities are layered on top of each other and hooked into the underpinning gunplay in a way that adds strategy and freneticism."

"During various battles with Monarch soldiers, this ability revealed itself to be the most versatile of the bunch, since it has defensive, offensive, and strategic applications. It actually was a crutch in our playthrough."

"Helpfully, Time Dodge-ing directly into enemies delivers a shoulder barge that knocks them off balance; good for when one of them gets the jump on you."

"Finally, Time Shield lets Jack become The One (Neo, not Gabriel Yulaw) for a few seconds and nullify all incoming damage with a force field. This was particularly useful whenever we let our zeal get the better of us, which it turns out was all the time. In a sticky situation, it could be activated to give us the opportunity to retreat behind cover."

That doesn't sound like gimmicks. Gimmicks have little relevance or use. Here the abilities are tied to the gunplay and add an extra dimension. If the abilities were badly handled, there wouldn't be any need to play it as a straight shooter. But since the AI is aggressive and when you get special enemies like the Strikers who can't be shot at cause they zip away or can't be Time Stopped, then you have to use other means to take them down.

"Quantum Break forces you to understand and optimise abilities in the face of aggressive, intelligent enemy behaviour. Monarch soldiers constantly did their best to trap us by approaching from all directions. When in cover, they showered us with a hail of bullets to make us dig in, then followed up with flank attacks. When we retreated into rooms to try and limit approaches, they turned to grenades to flush us out into the open. At times it verged on overwhelming, but that pressure is by design. It’s Remedy turning otherwise overpowered skills into tools for survival.

Each skirmish is painfully intense, flitting between a power trip and desperate crisis management. The constant depleting and recharging of abilities gave combat an electrifying ebb-and-flow. Enemies also react to players’ actions, calling out to each other when powers are used and compensating for them. In turn, their movements could be manipulated by concentrating gunfire or using abilities to funnel forces. This puppeteering gave combat a cat-becomes-mouse quality. As the game progresses and enemies gain powers similar to Jack, the strategy and execution grows even more demanding.

On those few occasions when planets align and you’re firing on all cylinders, the synergy of abilities gives you a control over the battlefield that borders on predatory. There’s an explosive energy to moving around the environment that makes you feel superheroic, even more so when you upgrade powers to add a new wrinkle to them."

IGN - Stace Harman
"The layout of many of the environments suggests Quantum Break should be played as a cover-based shooter, but in reality cover need only be utilised intermittently, when you’re low on health. Outside of this time, it’s all dashing to and from enemies, freezing time to stack damage and creating a stasis shield to give yourself some breathing room while the cool-down timers of your powers recharge.

Combat is empowering – you’re effectively a superhero after all – but throughout the first four acts of the game you rarely feel overpowered, as groups of enemies work together to take you down. Furthermore, enemies who have some time-based abilities of their own are hinted at for later on in the game and so you’re encouraged to make canny use of your powers in combination with one another to get up close to enemies, rather than become over reliant on sticking to cover and taking pot-shots from afar."

Unlike The Order 1886, sticking behind cover doesn't sound like the most optimal tactic. With special enemies, playing it as a straight shooter doesn't work as Strikers can zip around when you shoot them normally and can't be Time Stopped, so other abilities come into play like Time Dodge and Time Shield. You could try taking down the Heavies by just sitting behind cover but you'll get flushed out by other enemies. With how aggressive the AI is, you'll be moving around a lot which is the opposite of The Order 1886. The level design seems more open than The Order 1886 which by contrast was just about progressing forward and switching from a few cover points. In Quantum Break, it sounds like cover is more used as a respite for your powers to recharge or when you're low on health and need to plan your next movement opportunity.

3) "At least with Alan Wake they were able to cover its mediocrity by putting it into the horror genre and just hide a lot of its shortcomings behind dark environments and shit."

Ok, this feels like a tangent seems to have nothing to do with Quantum Break unless if time travel sci fi is just not a genre you're into compared to horror.

4) "This game will probably flop in terms of reviews or at least be way below what Remedy is expecting. Super disappointed."

Kind of pointless arguing over hypotheticals, as you can't really predict whether this game will be a critical failure or success. Just like I'm not going to bother predicting Quantum Break will be showered with praise from critics, because I've got nothing to go on. Even from hands-on previews, because most of the time the preview is from a different critic than the review.

Completely agreed.
Great post. Too easy for a person to hide behind "my opion" when he's actually just talking out of his ass.

Aaron Greenberg confirmed that it was all on Xbox One. We already knew from previews, but confirmation is always nice. Looks damn good considering the hardware.

I think if we were to compare this with the very first QB video of the bridge, the video from that Xbox One reveal event, I think it's pretty close. No?

Theorry

Aaron Greenberg confirmed that it was all on Xbox One. We already knew from previews, but confirmation is always nice. Looks damn good considering the hardware.

I think if we were to compare this with the very first QB video of the bridge, the video from that Xbox One reveal event, I think it's pretty close. No?

Well the devs in this thread also already said. it. ;)

Tovarisc

Reading all this derail with ND and their UC games being brought into as some TPS saviors that Remedy can't even imagine challenging with QB in any way just makes me think one question, how/why ND has gotten itself into such place of praise? It's very subjective thing I think yet some comments come across as like it's not and ND > Remedy is fact.

To me personally QB looks all kinds of more interesting than UC games. From visuals to set pieces to gameplay. Seems more... believable and cleaner visually while gameplay looks to be tighter and more responsive than what UC games offer.

watdaeff4

TLOU on ps4 has good gunplay, it was terrible on PS3

Thanks for clarifying that, because when I read Conduit's post saying TLOU had fantastic gunplay, I didn't know if it was console warrior talk or what. I played TLOU on PS3 so never bothered with the remaster. TLOU (the original PS3 version) had typical ND gunplay (i.e. mediocre/servicable at very best) with a great atmosphere/storytelling.

Reading all this derail with ND and their UC games being brought into as some TPS saviors that Remedy can't even imagine challenging with QB in any way just makes me think one question, how/why ND has gotten itself into such place of praise? It's very subjective thing I think yet some comments come across as like it's not and ND > Remedy is fact.

To me personally QB looks all kinds of more interesting than UC games. From visuals to set pieces to gameplay. Seems more... believable and cleaner visually while gameplay looks to be tighter and more responsive than what UC games offer.

C'mon now. You know the reasoning.

And ND does make good games, not perfect IMO, but I've always enjoyed them and look forward to UC4.

QB will continue to receive comparisons to the Order and ND games and will continue to have negativity (veiled or blatant) thrown at it on here more than likely.

LostDonkey

Couldn't agree more. The hyperbole toward ND and UC on here and the blind praise they get as if they are untouchable in the gaming sphere, is baffling to me. Yeah, they make good games. but they aren't the be all and end all of the medium.

_Clash_

The great war of gen 8 is over, this hype train is either a pocket of the resistance or the enlightened liberals.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Yesterday I was thinking: Which current third person games on the Xbox One could be compared to Quantum Break in terms of action and movement. The only title I've found in my library that could be compared is Sunset Overdrive.

iMax

If that's really true, this is the most visually stunning next-gen game I've seen yet.

iMax

One thing I thought of. All the issues that you'd expect to crop up in a game pushing the Xbox One's power, e.g. pop-in, frame rate slowdown, etc... all disguise quite nicely within the narrative of a game centred around the destruction of time!

I didn't find the QB previews to be very interesting. But comparing it to The Order? C'mon now. This looks faaarr better than that piece of shit game.

Edit - I'm talking gameplay/story. I still find The Orders graphics to be unmatched.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
This thread is.. interesting.
Alan Wake having boring gunplay...
Did I wake up in another universe?
AW still has the most satisfying gunplay in a TPS, anyone hating on it is cray cray.

BTW are the cutscenes in QB real time? AW's were pre-rendered and the compression was awful.

Alan Wake having boring gunplay...
Did I wake up in another universe?

The gunplay was a little repetitive but still very good (especially on hard according to some - I only played on normal difficulty) but you must admit that the critics had similar complaints that some are pointing out on here. Go check out Metacritic for Alan Wake and you'll see that quite a lot of reviewers found Alan Wakes combat repetitive and stale. That and it's rather divisive plot (too confusing for some) meant the game received a lower metacritic score than those of us who loved it, would say it deserved.

Personally I found the combat in the TLOU better than both Alan Wake and the Uncharted games. I did play the remastered game on ps4 though, if that makes any difference.

This thread is.. interesting.

AW still has the most satisfying gunplay in a TPS, anyone hating on it is cray cray.

BTW are the cutscenes in QB real time? AW's were pre-rendered and the compression was awful.

Mostly realtime (when you see the transition from cutscene to gameplay) but some are clearly in-engine.

Top Bottom