• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Quantum Break Impressions & Previews

looks rather downgraded in some ways. like the firefight area has much blander lighting and less objects in the environment.. still a fantastic looking game tho.

Downgrades are never nice, never. But it still looks nice. They must have had their reasons for it. Even though I recall an article from last year where Sam Lake actually said they were improving the graphics even further.

nOoblet16

looks rather downgraded in some ways. like the firefight area has much blander lighting and less objects in the environment.. still a fantastic looking game tho.

If anything the lighting in the 2015 video is bland, overexposed and rather monochrome, that was what was changed. Doesn't mean it's a downgrade.

xion4360

If anything the lighting in the 2015 video is bland, overexposed and rather monochrome, that was what was changed. Doesn't mean it's a downgrade.

well I guess what is more bland in that case is down to opinion.. I find the more intense color of the sunset and the light across the objects in the scene to make it pop a lot more even if it is a little overdone.. but there are definitely less objects in the environment or some of them have been moved around a bit.. but there seems to be less grass and less trees.

direct link to the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgeutNhqD0o

etta

my hard graphic balls
What the fuck is this?!?
Are they actually serious with this blue tint filter bullshit??? Does the game have different TOD or something?
WHAT THE FUCK REMEDY???

Bu1A5UK.jpg

What the fuck is this?!?
Are they actually serious with this blue tint filter bullshit??? Does the game have different TOD or something?
WHAT THE FUCK REMEDY???

Bu1A5UK.jpg

TOD looks different ontop of likely colour grading differences. Look at the shadow positions.

jelly

Do developers not use colour grading instead of filters for the whole scene?

We could finally get away from piss, blue or whatever. Maybe it's not even possible thinking about it now, it would have to be real time changing for whatever the player is looking at.

etta

my hard graphic balls
TOD looks different ontop of likely colour grading differences. Look at the shadow positions.

I dunno, I think the original grading is immensely better, makes the lighting looks more realistic, too, whereas the new one the lighting looks more flat.

What the fuck is this?!?
WHAT THE FUCK REMEDY???

Bu1A5UK.jpg

lol at this faux outrage. The fact that there aren't shadows and headlights are on shows that it's probably a different time of day.

Genio88

What the fuck is this?!?
WHAT THE FUCK REMEDY???

Bu1A5UK.jpg

From the shadows it'd look like a different time of the day or different weather, even though i guess the game won't have dynamic weather at all, besides i like the cold colored screenshot more, it fits better the atmophere of the game and the Remedy style

etta

my hard graphic balls
From the shadows it'd look like a different time of the day or weather, even though i guess the game won't have dynamic weather at all, besides i like the cold colored screenshot more, it fits better the atmophere of the game and the Remedy style

I mean, obviously it's just an artistic choice they made here, but I personally think it looks worse :/. Lighting doesn't "fill" the world as much.

Genio88

Just watched that XboxUK video, woah i didn't know about the choices and the consequences they could make in the "TV show" it really looks awesome, also they know which is the best tablet to use

QB_Surface.png

jelly

It's the X-Men guy who played Ice Man or is it his twin, can't remember who was in what. I'm sure they are identical twins or uncanny old and young brothers.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Just watched that XboxUK video, woah i didn't know about the choices and the consequences they could make in the "TV show" it really looks awesome, also they know which is the best tablet to use

QB_Surface.png

It would be hilarious if they'd use an iPad or any other non-Microsoft tablet.

I mean, obviously it's just an artistic choice they made here, but I personally think it looks worse :/. Lighting doesn't "fill" the world as much.

We played around the lighting in the levels until the very end. It's not like we settled on how everything looks a year ago, rather we keep developing to the very end.

G_Berry

Banned
I'm really looking forward to this but I'm worried about how it's going to look and run on the Xbox.

Have we seen any footage from the Xbox yet or has it all been pc footage?

Mufc1427

I'm really looking forward to this but I'm worried about how it's going to look and run on the Xbox.

All footage Released is from Xbox One according to Remedy. They haven't show the PC version yet.

We played around the lighting in the levels until the very end. It's not like we settled on how everything looks a year ago, rather we keep developing to the very end.

Must be locked down now though? Or do you think it might have a day one patch?

Got it pre ordered from the store so I want to be playing it at 12:01AM on the 5th ofApril :)

Zedox

This comment right here let's you know that they did a good job with the graphics. Can't wait.

Verendus

Banned
Quantum Break and Uncharted 4 in the same month. It's like Godzilla has blessed us TPS fans after we've suffered for so long.

Mivey

The game is supposed to have some sort of integration with an ingame "TV series", that reflects your choices or something. Did they showcase how this is implemented? I remember them making quite a fuss about how it merges games and TV, especially during the TV TV TV craze of MS E3 presentation.

My guess would be that the game is split into Alan Wake-like chapters and at the end you see the next filmed episode, that might contain different scenes, depending on what you did.

etta

my hard graphic balls
You're right, and I apologize I snapped earlier. I really, really loved the warmth of the gradient from last year, and I was shocked when I saw the new, current cool/blue tint, I thought it looked cheap and that it ruined the tone.
It's clear the new artistic style decision was made for a reason, whether it was because it's more fitting for the narrative, tone, atmosphere...etc, you guys would know as developers and I would not until the game is out, so I defer to your judgement on the decision.

xion4360

The game is supposed to have some sort of integration with an ingame "TV series", that reflects your choices or something. Did they showcase how this is implemented? I remember them making quite a fuss about how it merges games and TV, especially during the TV TV TV craze of MS E3 presentation.

My guess would be that the game is split into Alan Wake-like chapters and at the end you see the next filmed episode, that might contain different scenes, depending on what you did.

yeah thats exactly it.

I preferred it when Phil Spencer was the lead character and not Wayne Rooney.

I hope this has some real DX12 special sauce on PC, it will be interesting to see which card performs better. The 980 Ti or Fury X.

Our audio team has put in crazy amounts of work into Quantum Break so here is an video showing off how the audio design differs in the "normal world" and the "stutter world".

Watch, or rather listen to it here.

Top Bottom