• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Quantum Break Impressions & Previews

Love how dynamic it looks. Lots of movement and agressive gameplay in fairly open areas.

Hearing it described as a really good Max Payne game with lots of on the fly experimentation is exactly what I wanted to hear.

Dr Dogg

Cheers for collecting these all in one place Dusk.

That GamesRadar vid gives a fair bit more insight into the mechanics than the others.

jelly

Looking good, content overload after complaining about the wait, lol.

I hope they got a tidy sum for those Van shoes, can't unsee.

He does a hilarious cartoon run in that first video from standing still. Head back, turbo run.

I don't know if I like the gameplay I saw... Sure, the trailers are all fancy and stuff, but those 2 guys walking point to point and shooting a few bullets along the way it's just...meh.(I'm talking about those 3 short videos, just saw you added some 40 min gameplay ones)

ekim

I guess the game sports an Alan Wake ARG:
v88y7Lo.jpg

zsynqx

I don't know if I like the gameplay I saw... Sure, the trailers are all fancy and stuff, but those 2 guys walking point to point and shooting a few bullets along the way it's just...meh.

I think that is just the intro. Other videos see it opening up a bit for some cool cat and mouse encounters, with the time powers allowing you some flexibility with how you approach them. I think the core combat loop looks very solid and a ton of fun..

Narratively I'm definitely not sold and the protagonist seems kinda dull.

ngower

Why are there 7 different Quantum Break threads on the front page? Not trying to be a jerk, but surely this is grounds for unifying?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Why are there 7 different Quantum Break threads on the front page? Not trying to be a jerk, but surely this is grounds for unifying?

New threads for new news. There was a lot of Quantum Break news all at once. This is a collection of previews, impressions, and gameplay videos publications put out on the game.

Theorry

Nice.

"Behind the bluster, we seem to have a worthy new-gen expansion of Max Payne’s core ideals; of gunplay and time manipulation, and pulpy genre fiction - the very stuff that made Remedy famous in the first place."

Today is Quantum Break blowout day: pre-order stuff, console bundles, previews/impressions, Windows 10 version, Sam Lake's favourite type of cheese*, embrace it!

Sam Lake's favourite type of cheese not included

Kei-

Hmm, what is up with the transition from being down behind cover to shooting over cover in this video?

https://youtu.be/uRvU0DmMMDM?t=3m26s

Is it just me or does it seem weird? Not sure if it's the camera, but it's almost like it's missing frames between him crouching and standing. Probably just a weird angle.

Man, the wait is unbearable. But it's good to know we are less then two months away from release. The gameplay videos look fantastic.

Yeah i have to admit that none of these gameplay videos are wowing me, but the official gameplay videos from during E3 and Gamescom i thought were awesome. I think this is the kind of game you need to play for yourself. Some of these previews say it's secretly a great Max Payne game. Well i have no problems with that.

I do wonder if there's any actual exploration and puzzling in this. One of the developers did say so here a while ago.

shandy706

NOPE

Not watching any of the videos. I'm going in as blind as I can from this point on.

That's That looks very bad, animations are like 10 years old, gameplay is slow as hell and visuals aren't really impressive at all, I'm still in but Jeez, it looks off.

Thought I clicked into a Souls thread for a second.

Dusk Golem

Yeah i have to admit that none of these gameplay videos are wowing me, but the official gameplay videos from during E3 and Gamescom i thought were awesome. I think this is the kind of game you need to play for yourself. Some of these previews say it's secretly a great Max Payne game. Well i have no problems with that.

I do wonder if there's any actual exploration and puzzling in this. One of the developers did say so here a while ago.

In the IGN video, he mentions gameplay puzzles and show off one of them. In the longer gameplay videos, you can see the game has branching areas and things to explore off the beaten path.

GavinUK86

regardless if you get this on xbox one or pc i really hope it does well for remedy. i really want to see em succeed.

and maybe make alan wake 2.

Quonny

The way things explode looks really cool, and if they do the gameplay right it could be a blast. Protag seems bland as hell, though.

kanuuna

Combat in the GamesRadar video looks as satisfying as anything in Remedy's Max Payne games. I really hope that the PC version isn't available exclusively through Windows store though, because that thing stinks.

Dusk Golem

Hadn't spotted that one, it seems out of glancing the best players are GamesRadar and IGN (which makes sense since they're both the publications who mention they have played the first four acts more than once).

Added to OP.

Hm... visuals downgraded? Is it me or did the old footage look better?

Xbox One version. But there is a PC version confirmed with quite high recommended specs that will probably be gorgeous if more for that. But its specs are demanding.

Crappy player aside, the game just isn't wowing me like ti did when they first revealed it. The new lead, the focus on combat and the more linear approach to gameplay is dragging it all down for me.

Even those frozen moments where you have to investigate have been reduced to set pieces where you go from A to B.

Feels like they've fundamentally changed the direction of the game from what it was before and it doesn't feel like a change for the better.

Is it just me or does the game look really dull?

Having only watched the IGN vid, I think this is going to be one of those Vanquish or R* Max Payne situations where if you play it safe in cover all the time it won't be anything special. But if you take advantage of all the tools at your disposal while run and gunning like they intend, it will be really rewarding.

Top Bottom