• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Quantum Break Impressions & Previews

Crappy player aside, the game just isn't wowing me like ti did when they first revealed it. The new lead, the focus on combat and the more linear approach to gameplay is dragging it all down for me.

Even those frozen moments where you have to investigate have been reduced to set pieces where you go from A to B.

Feels like they've fundamentally changed the direction of the game from what it was before and it doesn't feel like a change for the better.

Im not really seeing it, particularly as they didn't exactly try to make an open-world game like the original Alan Wake plan.

They're just showing off new levels which looks different to other stuff they showed at conferences and there is some more environment and gameplay variety.

I am still having a hard time adjusting to Shawn Ashmore though

Uch what a terrible player.

In fairness, people come to Remedy to play the game for the first time ever so how could they be great at playing it?? We did give the visiting journalists half a day to play on top of interviews, so there was plenty of time, but it's not so easy.

I'm just letting all this QB stuff wash all over me. It's great. I cannot wait to play this game.

This game made me buy the console (I don't PC game) and I think it looks bloody amazing.

Theorry

In fairness, people come to Remedy to play the game for the first time ever so how could they be great at playing it?? We did give the visiting journalists half a day to play on top of interviews, so there was plenty of time, but it's not so easy.

Well other vids show better players. So its possible.

Shooting seems to lack any punch, especially compared to Max Payne 3 which felt like the next step in the Remedy style camera control and animation. Shame they seem to be going for a teen rating.

Edit: Box has an m rating, weird.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Definitely will have the best visuals of 2016. Gunplay looks fantastic too.

Hm... visuals downgraded? Is it me or did the old footage look better?
tbh I had this thought as well. Still looks amazing obviously, but not as good as the Gamescom footage.
The gamescom footage was a completely different environment. Nothing in those videos look downgraded at all unless you wanna try and be more specific.

Hm... visuals downgraded? Is it me or did the old footage look better?

I thought so too, but i am not sure. We mostly see new levels here as well. I hope it's not downgraded too much, because it looked great during GC. It still looks really nice and clean though, i barely see any aliasing. Sure...Youtube masks that but i do believe it will be quite nice and clean looking when it comes out. Which is good, i despise nasty jaggies.

It's probably especially in the lighting where it seems to be looking a little less impressive compared to older footage. I also notice that not a lot of stuff seems destructible, which is unfortunete. With these huge shootouts it would be great to see walls, pillars, objects in general getting shot to shreds and what not.

The gamescom footage was a completely different environment. Nothing in those videos look downgraded at all unless you wanna try and be more specific.

You really think so? Hey it's all subjective i guess, but i think i'm going to have to give that to Naughty Dog.

I don't know, Uncharted 4 is pretty hard to beat, especially with all their recent trailers.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
My hype for the game has gone from 0-100 real quick.

How about the awesome pre-order deal too? Maybe the best I've seen yet.

X1+PC version
Alan Wake + Expansions + American Nightmare FREE and BC

I haven't played Alan Wake yet either... stoked!!!

Whompa02

Gameplay looks good. Visuals took a bit of a hit, especially in the player model face area.

Still looks great overall. Would love to play it on a good rig.

I'm actually really interested in how bad the tv series stuff will be. Based on impressions it sounds pretty cheap. Might be a, "so bad its good" case. Obviously I'd hope that it was actually just good, but if not, then I hope I can at least laugh at its goofiness.

My hype for the game has gone from 0-100 real quick.

How about the awesome pre-order deal too? Maybe the best I've seen yet.

X1+PC version
Alan Wake + Expansions + American Nightmare FREE and BC

I haven't played Alan Wake yet either... stoked!!!

That IS a damn good deal. And that goes for the digital version of QB as well? But only if you buy it now, right? So let's say i decide to wait until after the release, the offer won't stand right?

Dinda

That Guardian article is interesting. I also thought they said shortly after the first info came out that it will have 2 playable characters, 1 male and 1 female.

Would certainly be more interested if it would be that way. Main Character looks boring.

And the TV stuff i will most likely not like. There is a reason i don't watch TV.

Theorry

Love this destruction. Sorry for the crappy quality.

W6qYyE.gif

george_us

Is it just me or does the game look really dull?
Mechanically it looks very competent but it doesn't seem to come together in an exciting way for me yet. It looks like standard cinematic TPS fare with unexciting temporal powers tacked on. Visuals are fantastic though. One of the best looking games I've seen this generation.

jelly

That Guardian article is interesting. I also thought they said shortly after the first info came out that it will have 2 playable characters, 1 male and 1 female.

Would certainly be more interested if it would be that way. Main Character looks boring.

And the TV stuff i will most likely not like. There is a reason i don't watch TV.

Would be great if Remedy had a main playable female character eventually. We played as Mona Sax right?

derFeef

Mechanically it looks very competent but it doesn't seem to come together in an exciting way for me yet. It looks like standard cinematic TPS fare with unexciting temporal powers tacked on. Visuals are fantastic though. One of the best looking games I've seen this generation.

I think when you get to play it, and you notice you have to use the powers, it will come together. Remember that all we see now is random powers we don't understand yet and why they are used.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Saying this won't make it a fact (especially at the beginning of a year). I wonder why you say a thing like that. . But let's just be happy that it looks really fucking great.
From what i've seen so far. Especially now that it's getting a pc port.

This is the gamescom area from the previews. https://youtu.be/dXJ28mushic?t=349

Difficult to tell with compression. Tbh who cares, game looks amazing.
They seem to have completely removed the color filter from that area. And moved some objects around. Ignoring compression.
screenshot2016-02-11a4ru8d.png

screenshot2016-02-11a8eudp.png

screenshot2016-02-11actuy4.png

screenshot2016-02-11apnuig.png

I don't know, Uncharted 4 is pretty hard to beat, especially with all their recent trailers.
This already beat it imho.

It comes with Alan Wake and all the add-ons? Damn that's a good deal. This game is now my most anticipated of the year. Even moreso than Dark Souls 3 just because of Remedy's past. Now the only thing stopping me is I don't own an Xbox One. Holding out for that mystical digital only or slim model is gonna hurt.

I don't think it looks like a standard TPS at all. Like UC4, it really seems to emphasize movement and it looks like the lay-out of the areas, the AI of the enemies and the way your powers combine, lead to really dynamic cat and mouse play.

If they can nail that it's gonne be a blast.

Looks like any other 3p shooter with the addition of time powers. Not feeling it.

Such as?

zsynqx

You think this looks dull?

RareSmoggyAlligator.gif

That looks so good!

I don't think it looks like a standard TPS at all. Like UC4, it really seems to emphasize movement and it looks like the lay-out of the areas, the AI of the enemies and the way your powers combine, lead to really dynamic cat and mouse play.

If they can nail that it's gonne be a blast.

Yep.

Bog standard cover shooters with stop and pop gameplay no longer interest me.

shandy706

Looks like any other 3p shooter with the addition of time powers. Not feeling it.

So you don't like 3rd person shooters then. That's ok.

Looks like Gears of War and Uncharted 4 evidently...but with time control. So maybe it will just be slightly better than both of them. I mean it's the same, but with one more cool thing on top, right?

Remedy is about as good as it gets when it comes to TPSs. What bar are we suddenly measuring them against?

On topic, there are moments where the game gives me some weird F.E.A.R. vibes. That's not a bad thing though.

Whompa02

That bookshelf exploding doesn't change the environment. It's not dull, but it's not something I'd put all my chips on as some sort of case against it being another third person shooter. I doubt it changes the playing field, or something you can interact with outside of seeing it animate. There's probably still an invisible wall there.

The game looks super great though. Definitely considering an update on my computer for this.

Debatable. Gameplay, narrative, visuals, imo are all already looking better in Uncharted.

Dinda

Would be great if Remedy had a main playable female character eventually. We played as Mona Sax right?

Yeah, i think you could play as her for 2 or 3 missions.

Ah, i would have really liked playing a May Payne 3 from Remedy.

From what i've seen so far. Especially now that it's getting a pc port.

They seem to have completely removed the color filter from that area. And moved some objects around. That's not what a downgrade is.

You really think so? I remember the U4 videos from last year where they showed a cutscene and it transitioned into gameplay, i thought that stuff looked absolutely incredible. On another level. But we'll see. Both look damn good, that's for sure.

In one of those video previews they say there are 5 acts...hmmm...just as long as those acts aren't very short. We waited a long time for this game, i hope it's at least 10 hours.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I think the F.E.A.R. feeling is because the AI seems fairly dynamic and a big part of the gameplay is about maneuverability and time manipulation, which was one of FEAR's big hooks. Plus playing cat and mouse with the scenarios and enemy AI.

Also, the shotgun looks great and how enemy respond to being shot looks quite satisfying.

That bookshelf exploding doesn't change the environment. It's not dull, but it's not something I'd put all my chips on as some sort of case against it being another third person shooter.

It's cool that the physics are there. Of course it is another TPS, but hearing it decribed as a really good Max Payne game with more on the fly improvisation sounds really promising to me.

This is not another The Order, which is what I feared.

derFeef

I think the F.E.A.R. feeling is because the AI seems fairly dynamic and a big part of the gameplay is about maneuverability and time manipulation, which was one of FEAR's big hooks. Plus playing cat and mouse with the scenarios and enemy AI.

Also, the shotgun looks great and how enemy respond to being shot looks quite satisfying.

Oh yeah, you are right. A Remedy guy posted a while back that you will have to move around and use powers as you will go down fast. This is not a cover shooter, people forget that.

Top Bottom