• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New research debunks the dinosaur's roar

Status
Not open for further replies.
��

This.

Stop claiming shit as fact every time new research suggests how things "may" have been.

There are no birds comparable to the t rex

This doesnt say anything about the giant predators

This too. After listening to the cassowary video on the last page, I don't find it difficult to imagine that a velociraptor, almost twice the size, would sound even less like your typical tweeting bird.

I mean this is to be expected. Imagine being outside in the park or in the amazon with a ton of birds calls but instead of it being little birds its raptors and the like making plans to hunt your ass down from miles away.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
So Ross was right?

velociraptor-o.gif

As mentioned, this is just a possibility, not the de facto truth.

Still, I think it's pretty cool. I've always thought that one of the best Rex scenes was when he sees Genaro on the toilet and kinda coos with a horrifying curiosity.

Zombine

Banned
At what point are people going to accept that dinosaurs were honestly just really big birds? I have already made my peace with this reality.

Animals that can roar: tigers, lions, jaguars and leopards.
Lizards: 0
Birds: 0
Amphibians: 0

No idea why people ever thought dinosaurs could

Big-E

Just stop calling them dinosaurs. They are all glorified chickens. Let us still have the word dinosaurs for the mythical lizards who roar and don't have feathers and the scientists can continue to work with their chickens and call them dinogallus or whatever the fuck they want to call them.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
As mentioned, this is just a possibility, not the de facto truth.

Still, I think it's pretty cool. I've always thought that one of the best Rex scenes was when he sees Genaro on the toilet and kinda coos with a horrifying curiosity.

Yeah, I like that small touch. Felt very authentic and isn't as theatrical as the roar.

It'd be cool to see a movie that treats dinosaurs more like regular animals. Like instead of of the T-Rex biting into Gennaro he just sort of nips at him with curiosity and moves on. Similar to a shark. Not saying that the scene could be improved or anything, it'd just be interesting to see that approach to dinosaurs elsewhere that wasn't a documentary.

Animals that can roar: tigers, lions, jaguars and leopards.
Lizards: 0
Birds: 0
Amphibians: 0

No idea why people ever thought dinosaurs could

Probably because of the more crocodilian depiction. That croc bellow just sort of morphed into the panther roar when it was accepted that dinosaurs were less like reptiles.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Man, science really is trying to ruin dinosaurs, isn't it?

Scientists really hated Jurassic World that much?

Xe4

Banned
They'd probably sounded like this:

Pretty terrifying.

Seriously, 34 seconds of what some therapods probably sounded like, it's awesome stuff.

I was going to say something along these lines. Birds can be pretty terrifying. Birds 10x your size must be shit your pants level terrorizing, especially if they make noises like that.

Yessssss. Keep making dinosaurs cooler, science. I can think of nothing cooler than huge-ass, fucking terrifying feathered birds with huge beaks and talons and that make noises like a mother effing hawk. That is way cooler than the lame dinos in Jurassic Park.

The people annoyed that dinosaurs are being "ruined" by new scientific data that refutes outdated info and Hollywood myths are like people who were annoyed that the sun didn't revolve around the earth.

If you're really into dinosaurs, like the actual science and history of dinosaurs and not just "dinosaurs are cool and scary", this is exciting stuff

cdyhybrid

The people annoyed that dinosaurs are being "ruined" by new scientific data that refutes outdated info and Hollywood myths are like people who were annoyed that the sun didn't revolve around the earth.

If you're really into dinosaurs, like the actual science and history of dinosaurs and not just "dinosaurs are cool and scary", this is exciting stuff

This. If you think new theories/discoveries "ruin" dinosaurs for you, I don't think you ever were interested in dinosaurs at all. You were just interested in some imaginary movie monsters.

Flipyap

Man, some of you guys are really in love with staying ignorant. Not a single thing about this makes dinosaurs less cool, the interview even mentions that they would still be capable of producing deep, scary sounds.
Jurassic Park already had dinosaurs that made high-pitched squeal and hiss sounds, all this really changes is the manner in which those sounds would be produced, while also adding more variety, since it gives them the potential to sound weird and unique. That's cool as hell.

haveheart

Banned
So glad Jurassic Park came out before all these uncool revelations. Imagine a big chicken being the mascot of such a treasured franchise.

*cough*

S3QD6Dp.jpg

one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I guess I was way too young and hadn't yet devloped a sense for that kind of cheeky humor. spoiler:
it's about giant sexual harrassment chickens
Turns out this flick is more accurate than the film it's making fun of...

This. If you think new theories/discoveries "ruin" dinosaurs for you, I don't think you ever were interested in dinosaurs at all. You were just interested in some imaginary movie monsters.
Suuuuure. Finding out your life has been one big lie means you never liked dinosaurs to begin with. You were just a big faker.

This is like Pluto nkt being a planet anymore. Fuck science.

:p

AJLma

It puts dinosaurs into the majestic category of animals next to cats for me. Early life on Earth was probably an incredibly beautiful sight.

I'm going to join the anti-science folks if researchers are going to continue this dinosaur-neutering agenda. I was unhappy about feathers, but I could deal with it. But now you're going to take roaring away from them?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom